Quantcast

» «
Photo

Won't load past "Loading Story Mode" screen (PS3)

20 replies to this topic
kingofallcosmos
  • kingofallcosmos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:56 AM Edited by kingofallcosmos, 21 September 2013 - 06:01 AM.

The thread title is really only partially true. Most of the time my game won't load past the "Loading Story Mode" screen. It just gets stuck showing the characters pictures over and over forever. My only option is to press the PS button and quit the game or turn off the system.

The rest of the time (about 1/6 times) I try loading the game it will still take a while to load, but once it finally does, it loads me next to a road with some thug kicking my dead body. Then it teleports me to the hospital and takes away $20 (because I just died without knowing it)… While this does get me to a point where I can play the game, it's not very efficient and a pretty big annoyance.

Backstory: 
I installed the game with no problems and played for a few hours the first night I had it. I played up to the point where you're Franklin and get Chop the dog. Did the first mission where you use the tow truck then whats his face called saying Chop was gonna stay at my place. I went back to the first safehouse and saved the game… in the bed… where no thugs would beat me to death on the side of the street. I have a feeling that if I wasn't saved in a "bad part of town" with gangs and stuff, it would never kill me during load and would probably get stuck on the "Loading Story Mode" screen forever, regardless. That's just an assumption though.

I'm on a fat PS3 (the last model they released before they stopped making them backwards compatible) and I don't have this problem with any other games. I tried vacuuming out any excess dust but there really isn't much visible dust to get. I really never have any problems with other games outside of this issue.

I've also got the disc copy of the game. Not the download.

I figured I'd post this in detail because most of the explanations of this problem seem really vague. Gotta be descriptive if you want results.

Thanks in advance for any help!

kingofallcosmos
  • kingofallcosmos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Oh one more thing - I also downloaded the iFruit iOS app and messed around with the Chop the Dog mini game. It says it links to your PSN account but since I've not had a good chance to play, I don't know if that could be part of the problem or not.

EzOne4Me
  • EzOne4Me

V > ALL

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

Idk but try this. Turn off your Internet connection and load the game up.

kingofallcosmos
  • kingofallcosmos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Idk but try this. Turn off your Internet connection and load the game up.

I saw this suggested on another site. Tried it and the problem still persists. Thanks for the suggestion though.

kingofallcosmos
  • kingofallcosmos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

I opened a help ticket on the Rockstar website with all the information I gave here. Hopefully they'll give me some sort of helpful info. I'll report back if anything is worth reporting.

sneezy23
  • sneezy23

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

I am having basically the same issue. I played until about 15% completion, and rebooted successfully into game. Then I played until ~36% completion, rebooted, loaded game, and then it stayed on "Loading story mode" for about an hour before I tried other options. I basically left the PS3 running for 2 days other than the reboots. I was able to begin new games on other user accounts, but not mine. Other than re-installing the game, all of options I have tried have been by accessing "Safe Mode" on the PS3. Instructions for Safe mode can be here.

http://community.us....DE/td-p/5812274

Here is what I have tried so far unsuccessfully:

Re-Installing game

Restoring Default Settings 

Restoring File system

Rebuild Database

Finally tried Restoring the PS3 System (Back to Default, lose everything)

I have done all of these steps individually, and also all at the same time, with network settings disabled and also enabled. (A fix on another forum)

*I have manually backed up my saved game data on a flash drive and copied back to PS3 after every step and tried running the game again. I have an "Autosave" and a manual save that I had done within 5 minutes of each other before I rebooted, and both are will still hang on "Loading Story Mode". I also tried loading each one of the saves with the profile data, and that also was not successful. 

My PS3 is a 250GB Slim and everything was installed from the GTA 5 disk.

Any other suggestions are welcome! Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

kingofallcosmos
  • kingofallcosmos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have an "Autosave" and a manual save that I had done within 5 minutes of each other before I rebooted, and both are will still hang on "Loading Story Mode". I also tried loading each one of the saves with the profile data, and that also was not successful.

This is also an issue for me. I had an "autosave" and a "manual save", both of which won't load.

I can only access the "Load" option after I'm able to get into the game though (after it loads me with a death as stated in the OP)

kingofallcosmos
  • kingofallcosmos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

Not a peep from Rockstar yet but I finally got the game to work. I had to delete both my save files and start the game from scratch. At least I wasn't too far in and didn't have to do a system reset.

My advice is to save often and on multiple save files and pray Rockstar patches this soon.

Poker2012chu
  • Poker2012chu

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

Not a peep from Rockstar yet but I finally got the game to work. I had to delete both my save files and start the game from scratch. At least I wasn't too far in and didn't have to do a system reset.

My advice is to save often and on multiple save files and pray Rockstar patches this soon.

To add to that, don't overwrite a save file because, at least for me, that tends to corrupt the files. The reason the game won't load is because the save it's loading is corrupted. If you want to play it safe, back up your saves on a flash drive, create a new save every time, and delete older saves. So far, this has worked for me. Good luck!

M_M_G
  • M_M_G

MMG

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

There is no official patch for GTA V Playstation 3 freezing bug yet, but an inquiry on Rockstar's technical support site received a detailed 12 steps guide to, hopefully, fix it.

Rockstar's technical support response reads fully as follows:

Please run through the following, go through in order.

1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA V option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.

2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA 5 option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.

3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.

4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.

5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.

6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

7) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

8) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.

9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.

Once the game has started please turn off the following features:

1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.

2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.

3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, Take-Two allows tech support users to reopen their cases within seven days.

Kaversmed
  • Kaversmed

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

There is no official patch for GTA V Playstation 3 freezing bug yet, but an inquiry on Rockstar's technical support site received a detailed 12 steps guide to, hopefully, fix it.

Rockstar's technical support response reads fully as follows:

Please run through the following, go through in order.

1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA V option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.

2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA 5 option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.

3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.

4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.

5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.

6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.

7) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.

8) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.

9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.

Once the game has started please turn off the following features:

1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.

2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.

3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

If that doesn't solve the problem, Take-Two allows tech support users to reopen their cases within seven days.

Do you need to do all of this to fix the freezing or just some of them? Has anyone actually had success with this? 

purplebunny
  • purplebunny

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:29 PM Edited by purplebunny, 27 September 2013 - 05:31 PM.

I thought the Xbox Support fix was convoluted. :lol:

Update if you try this and it works, though.

EDIT: There is no official patch for GTA V Playstation 3 freezing bug yet*

*Interesting, where did this come from?

Kaversmed
  • Kaversmed

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:40 PM Edited by Kaversmed, 27 September 2013 - 06:24 PM.

I'm gonna go ahead and try all of this mentioned above. Will get back later with an update. :) Here goes yet another desperate attempt! 

EDIT: Can't find the flicker filter option... :/

UPDATE: Froze after 5 minutes of playtime. Didn't work for me.

baileyz75
  • baileyz75

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:21 AM Edited by baileyz75, 28 September 2013 - 03:24 AM.

well ive tried everything that R* said to try and still no luck if this problem doesn't resolve its self in the next 10 mins im taking the game back to game stop. this is unbelievably screwed up. :die:  :cry: I just bought the game a few hours ago and haven't even gotten to play it yet because of this stupid "glitch"(?) if you can even call it that. but yeah ive installed it 2 times now and still haven't made it past the "Loading story mode" screen

condor1605
  • condor1605

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:47 AM Edited by condor1605, 28 September 2013 - 05:56 AM.

I am 28%  into the game, now it wont load the game my ps3 500gb slim was bought new with the game on 17th Sept. some times i get past load story mode but it crashes then wont load again. all this money for nothing fix this R* please

condor1605
  • condor1605

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:37 PM Edited by condor1605, 30 September 2013 - 05:02 PM.

ok l have got the game playing now after deleting cookies and cache I also deleted every save except for the main one i have played for five hours now no crashes or freezing so fingers crossed. it is 3 days now and the game is working good enjoying every minute so far 

Iceman2678
  • Iceman2678

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

I was having the same issue on my Xbox 360 until I realized that my saved game progress was corrupted. I figured this out by removing my saved game data for grand theft auto to a memory stick and removed it from the system and restarted the game. After I did the restart the game played with no problem.

I was fortunate enough to have two saved games for my story mode and only the auto save one was corrupted so I didn't have to start all the way over. Please let me kno if this works for anyone!! Thank you

bradyfan_12
  • bradyfan_12

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

Rockstar really needs to hurry and address this issue. It;s becoming an epidemic. I bought the game and it worked perfectly for me for 2-3 weeks. Online even worked fine when it first opened. Then one day put it in and wont load past the loading screen, and if it does it freezes like 10-15 minutes into game play. I contacted rockstar and they gave me the same solultion tips as posted above, needless to say none of them worked. I have exchanged my disc 3 times. I even went and bought a new hard drive thinking it may have been so corrupted that it just wouldn't load, didn't help. have read ALOT of forums and posts and it seems like most people affected by this own either the 120GB or 160GB slim version. If anyone can find a fix to this solution PLEASE lrt all of us know.

Zuvi007
  • Zuvi007

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

I know this is an old thread but this just happened to me did anyone find a solution

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

Fait ce que Voudras

• Members

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Nope. I hadn't played in a while, so I connected to get updates, etc. And then... stuck on the loading screen. Disconnected; that didn't work. I gave up and deleted the game and reinstalled it. Guess I'll be playing without any patches/updates. Aren't those things supposed to improve the game? "Here's a game many people love; lets release some updates and break it." Sheesh.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:59 AM

Sorry to bump, but I'm getting this as well. It's happened that many f*cking times that I can instantly tell when the game has failed to load. It pisses me off because it never happened before I restored my PS3 system, and my disc is in perfectly good condition.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users