» «
Photo

Shorts on fire in the Arctic, Greenpeace activists held by Russian sec

15 replies to this topic
Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:59 PM Edited by Kratos2000, 20 September 2013 - 01:01 PM.

Shots Fired in the Arctic, Greenpeace Activists Held by Russian Security

“Imagine you’re that activist. For a moment, in the middle of the chaos of protesting in the frigid Arctic ocean, you lock eyes with a Russian Coast Guard officer. He is there to stop your peaceful protest, and help ensure the company’s operation goes ahead.”

That’s how Greenpeace saw it today when they boarded the Prirazlomnayathe Russian arctic production platform located 60 kilometers offshore in the Pechora Sea.  11 warning shots were fired by Russian security services at the Greenpeace vessel Arctic Sunrise. The activists are now being held by the Russian security service.

http://gcaptain.com/...tic-greenpeace/

Am I the only one really frustrated by this constant BS?

Russian "security", Putin and his ruski lapdogs throwing sh*t at the rest of the world and none yet thought of returning the favor back? 

I mean how the f*ck do you drill in international waters, imprison protesters on a ship in the arctic and actively ignore and deny the consequences of drilling there?

all this while not giving rat's ass about anyone else? 

That's a shmuck country, if you're dictating and holding down the US, trying to stop 'aggression', then you better f*cking hold yourself aswell instead of immediately, aggressively imprisoning Greenpeace protestors on the fricking arctic.

Their frightening escalation of force just highlights their usual behaviour, while countries are being extra cautious on even less than this and have to choose their next actions carefully, the Russian "security", government, etc, always does whatever the f*ck they want and none's there to criticize. 

Now, dear GTA V diplomats, please tell me why it's so hard for Obama to put Putin in his place for once? I honestly don't get it. 

We Make It Snow In Kingston Again

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

1. Greanpeace are a bunch of edgy hippies. If you and you're hippie friends lay down on the road leading to the nuclear power plant where I work and blocking hundreds of people from using that road, expect to get arrested. If you sail to Russian territorial waters and try to stir sh*t up with their industry, expect to get captured.

2. Like I said they are not drilling in international waters. They are drilling in Russian EEZ territory. This, just like other EEZ territories have been accepted by the United Nations.

800px-Territorial_waters_-_Russia.svg.pn

3. Russia does not have to cater towards the politically correct and overly sensitive ways of most European countries. If you go to UK, feel free to make a hassle if an unarmed police officer looks at you in a funny way. If you go to Russia, don't poke the ice with a stick. It's that simple.

When in Rome..

Kratos2000
  • Kratos2000

;)

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:34 PM Edited by Kratos2000, 20 September 2013 - 02:37 PM.

1. Greanpeace are a bunch of edgy hippies. If you and you're hippie friends lay down on the road leading to the nuclear power plant where I work and blocking hundreds of people from using that road, expect to get arrested. If you sail to Russian territorial waters and try to stir sh*t up with their industry, expect to get captured.

2. Like I said they are not drilling in international waters. They are drilling in Russian EEZ territory. This, just like other EEZ territories have been accepted by the United Nations.

3. Russia does not have to cater towards the politically correct and overly sensitive ways of most European countries. If you go to UK, feel free to make a hassle if an unarmed police officer looks at you in a funny way. If you go to Russia, don't poke the ice with a stick. It's that simple.

When in Rome..

No, if the rest of the world is entitled to rules, so must be Russia. They can't do whatever the f*ck they want and continue their sick shmuckfest while expecting other countries to act politically correct when they never do, enough is enough.

Oh, btw, the Greenpeace activists claim they had their ship/water thing in international waters.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:23 PM Edited by lil weasel, 20 September 2013 - 03:24 PM.

If they boarded uninvited that would be akin to an act of Piracy.

Greenpeace seems active in inciting dangerous activities at sea. Like putting their fast boats in postions to rand and be rammed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycyCfK14axw

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:27 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 20 September 2013 - 03:28 PM.

@above: check your facts. The second one isn't from Greenpeace but of some radical organization called Sea Sheperd or somehting so. However, I was suprised about the first video, Greenpeace don't usually do violent actions...

OP. What can you expect from such a corrupt country like Russia? the give a f*ck about everything, starting by human rights.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

When in Rome..

No, if the rest of the world is entitled to rules, so must be Russia. They can't do whatever the f*ck they want and continue their sick shmuckfest while expecting other countries to act politically correct when they never do, enough is enough.

Oh, btw, the Greenpeace activists claim they had their ship/water thing in international waters.

Except Russia is not breaking any rules. It has complete hold over those waters and is fit to operate whatever they wish, as long as it doesn't pose a threat to the sovereignty of other countries. Greenpeace terrorists can "claim" whatever the f*ck they want, doesn't make it right. Oh, and bear in mind nowhere in the article does it say they were in international waters.

And f*ck, they can protest whatever they want. But if they're going to invade something, pose possible harm and danger to the people and themselves inside the installation (you know, the one that takes quite a bit of training to be able to navigate properly, and not mess sh*t up), security is going to come. If you don't come out peacefully after a couple of warning shots, all in their right, then they have the right to forcefully expel you.

Now on to the article, they are claiming the thing is poorly maintained, and is in "danger" of spilling oil everywhere.

The activists are attempting to halt production operations on the rig which they claim has not been maintained properly and is in imminent danger of spilling oil into the arctic. Their claim is supported by the following video which they say comes from the rig itself.

Except their video comes from a completely unverified source featuring unverified images. So how the hell do they decide that?

And then, we have this:

The significant issue is not necessarily whether or not the Prirazlomnaya is fit to produce hydrocarbons, but rather the frightening escalation of force exhibited by the Russian security toward Greenpeace.

So, the issue isn't even whether it's fit to extract oil, but the escalation of force. What the f*ck did they expect? They invade an oil rig, with their intentions unknown (they are known to break machinery in the ships et al they invade), acting in a threatening manner. Of course they are going to respond with force. 

So yeah. Hippies will be hippies. Will use force against others to get their point across, but will be the first to complain when that force is used against them.

• Moth likes this

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

No, if the rest of the world is entitled to rules, so must be Russia.

Every nation is entitled to their own rules.

Prirazlomnaya is located here, between the northern coast and that long island in the arctic ocean.

Melchior
  • Melchior

human right and human gain

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Some of these responses are truly ridiculous. Whatever the facts of the case may be, some of you seem quite excited that these activists are in the sh*t, with the reasoning that they're "hippies" and thus presumably deserve it. Did you all walk in on your girlfriends having sex with an environmentalist or something? 

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

Enlighten us, then, to the ridiculousness of our responses. These guys invaded an oil rig, on the "grounds" that it was an "impending disaster", based on some video with some footage no one can verify the authenticity of. They then proceed to get arrested, as is standard procedure when you're getting your sh*t invaded by unknown assailants. Thing with these hippies is that they love breaking equipment, threatening people, and acting violently on occasion, yet sh*t their pants when the tables are turned on them, and are the first to cry murder when the response matches their behaviour.

Once again, there are protocols in place to deal with invaders in ships/oil rigs/what have you. By trespassing and invading those places, the hippies are liable to be dealt with the way procedure explains. Or should have the Russian forces just sat there while those "activists" did whatever it was they wanted to do, potentially endangering everyone on board?

And no, I did not walk in on my girlfriend having sex with an environmentalist or something.

• Moth likes this

Melchior
  • Melchior

human right and human gain

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Well I've seen no confirmation that they were in Russian waters. You don't know the facts and neither do I. I'm not even saying that they were in the right, just that you seem to be motivated by some unexplained bias against environmentalists, and further, are genuinely excited at the prospect of them being in distress. 

I just don't get why you hate environmentalists so much. What is it that so intimidates you and your angry-young-man sensibilities? Progress, passion or youth? Let me predict your response "blah blah blah hippies" Yeah... hippies are a subculture that doesn't exist any more and never really had anything to do with environmentalism in the first place.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I just don't get why you hate environmentalists so much. What is it that so intimidates you and your angry-young-man sensibilities?

Do I understand that you wouldn't mind someone breaking into your home and trashing it because you happen to like drinking water from plastic bottles and eat meat? Who will drive their vehicles into your SUV to force you off the road?

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Well I've seen no confirmation that they were in Russian waters.

Now you have.

I just don't get why you hate environmentalists so much.

I have no problem with enviromentalists. Greenpeace on the other hand are a bunch of edgy attention seeking vandals who somehow think they are untouchable even if they invade another country's property.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

I just don't get why you hate environmentalists so much.

I have no problem with enviromentalists. Greenpeace on the other hand are a bunch of edgy attention seeking vandals who somehow think they are untouchable even if they invade another country's property.

This. So very much this. I don't have any issues with environmentalists, the ones that do the hard research work and pose alternatives to what we currently do. We need that. What we don't need are self proclaimed "environmentalists", all with their own agenda, committing what could be considered acts of terrors in name of environmentalism, breaking into installations, threatening people who don't share their point of view, invading ships and other vehicles, endangering others and themselves in the process. That's the kind of sh*t I don't condone, and that's what Greenpeace has been quite famous for doing. If they were concerned about finding alternatives, doing the work, the research, they would get all the respect from me. But they just seem intent on condemning others and threatening people to submit to what they consider right.

Progress, passion and youth? I'll give you passion, and even youth as that's the crowd they (Greenpeace, not other institutions that don't promote violence) attract the most , but progress? There is no progress in their actions. So much for your predicted response.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

Even if they were in international waters, which they weren't, Russia has every right to resist the illegal boarding of a flagged and registered vessel by external actors however they please. I'm pretty sure that boarding another vessel without invitation is a criminal offence in Russia, as it is in most of the rest of the world- a number of you seem to have difficulty understanding how the concept of "international waters" actually works. Effectively, the laws of the nation of the vessel in question apply. So an illegal boarding is, well, illegal regardless of whether it is in territorial waters or outside of them.
  • GunWrath likes this

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

The best part of waking uuuUUUuuup is hippy tears in your cup!

g0u4.jpg

Anyway, the consequences of their actions were predictable. What did they expect to happen? Did they think they would be allowed to board the vessel and paralyze operations without any sort of retaliation?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Keep 'em locked up, they should have tread lightly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users