Got the game today - Played an hour - First impressions

16 replies to this topic
h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hi all,

Well my Amazon pre-order finally arrived (of course on the last day of the week and I'm going on holiday until mid-next week). I still played an hour to look what this game had under hood: overall and with such little gameplay time, it looks very promissing however there's room for a few improvements.

The driving wasn't as horrid as I was left to expect by all the forum posts, but it could use some tweaking I guess. In the first Franklin mission where you steal the sports cars, I must say I found it quite difficult to master the driving of the white Audi R8 look alike car. I spun out 4-5 times. It was ok but not particularly impressed. I then drove the AMG Black which felt a bit easier to drive but didn't feel fast even though it should be. Also the other problem I have (I got an older 360, disk 1 installed, disk 2 in the dvd drive) is i got a lot of lag. This is kinda crappy especially when you're trying to drive fast but I guess this game really pushes the 360 to its boundaries. I'll have to try installing disk 2 to USB...

Anyways, before quitting, I took a drive out in the country side (map is huuuuge) on the highway, stole a pick-up truck and thought I'd try damage out. Drove on the wrong side of the road into the first car that came and then again in another one: damage looked...meh. I mean if you did this is GTA IV you'd see a nice amount of damage in the front of the cars. I don't want to get in the whole "this is not realistic debate", just saying that compared to GTA IV it's a bit disappointing.

But here's what I realized after playing. I think that most people who complain or say this game is bad are faced with a simple problem: the gap between GTA SA and GTA IV was immense in every aspect of the game. Graphically, GTA IV was millions of miles better looking that GTA SA and a lot of things were simply new for GTA games be it ragdoll physics, "realistic" damage and driving etc. GTA IV was really new on every aspects of the game, not only the story.

On the other hand, GTA V isn't not a complete remake of the franchise as GTA IV was and I think this is why many gamers, over-hyped by a new GTA opus feel let down by this episode. In some ways and from what i've played, I'd dare saying GTA V is more of a GTA 4.75 :). It's GTA IV + new stuff to do + new story + bigger map. But graphically, it's the same game.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing it more and hope R* will improve a thing or 2 in time. Stop hating this game and take it for what it is: a great sandbox game!

Cheerios.

Shox
  • Shox

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Good to see a mature post about the game including the good and bad points (in your opinion).
I'm loving it, a few little minor gripes aside.

Eternal Highness
  • Eternal Highness

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Graphically not the same game at all man. GTA V has way better graphics than IV..

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by h311m4n, 20 September 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Good to see a mature post about the game including the good and bad points (in your opinion).

Thanks! I haven't played enough though, can't wait to come home next week. This game has definitely ruined my holiday lol.

Graphically not the same game at all man. GTA V has way better graphics than IV..

Yes I exagerated a bit, what I meant is the graphical upgrade from IV to V isn't as huge as it was from SA to IV.

Definitely looks great though! Sunset on the highway while driving :panic: .

Lukezordz
  • Lukezordz

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I agree.

I'd like to mention a few of your points. Firstly, driving. I haven't played GTA IV so I haven't experienced the true change of physics, but I know what you mean about spinning out, it can be a pain if you're going at high speeds, but each car handles very differently, which is good. You can suit the right car for your driving style.

I can't comment on the lag, as I have the PS3 version, so no 2nd disk.

Car damage, *sigh I've heard this a lot. In my experience, the damage doesn't look spectacular, but it is there, I've had my front wheel get destroyed, making it really hard to turn sharp corners. If damage was a lot more noticeable, people would complain that damage is too bad. That it makes getaways near impossible unless you're extremely lucky with traffic, or a fantastic driver. Just my thoughts on that subject, Again I never played IV so I might have the best insight.

For me, it's been a massive change since the days of SA. And I'm loving every minute of it. The hype for the game has been unbelievable, so you can only expect people have been a little let down by *some* features. I myself have been simply awestruck many many times during my game time, sure I could pick out little faults, it's true for any game, but I don't dwell on that, I purely dwell on the sheer magnificence this game has brought me already.

(Sorry for the long post :p)

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I agree.

I'd like to mention a few of your points. Firstly, driving. I haven't played GTA IV so I haven't experienced the true change of physics, but I know what you mean about spinning out, it can be a pain if you're going at high speeds, but each car handles very differently, which is good. You can suit the right car for your driving style.

Car damage, *sigh I've heard this a lot. In my experience, the damage doesn't look spectacular, but it is there, I've had my front wheel get destroyed, making it really hard to turn sharp corners. If damage was a lot more noticeable, people would complain that damage is too bad. That it makes getaways near impossible unless you're extremely lucky with traffic, or a fantastic driver. Just my thoughts on that subject, Again I never played IV so I might have the best insight.

For me, it's been a massive change since the days of SA. And I'm loving every minute of it. The hype for the game has been unbelievable, so you can only expect people have been a little let down by *some* features. I myself have been simply awestruck many many times during my game time, sure I could pick out little faults, it's true for any game, but I don't dwell on that, I purely dwell on the sheer magnificence this game has brought me already.

About the damage: what I miss is just the phyical aspect of it. The dents etc. you'd get in IV were really cool looking. In V you definetely seem to be able to kill the possibility to drive your car (wheel being like \ etc.), it's really just that the graphical aspect of it isn't as good.

This is what I mean: http://www.thegtapla...49_screen03.jpg

I haven't played enough, but it doesn't look like you can get this result our of GTA V, or can you?

Lukezordz
  • Lukezordz

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

I agree.

About the damage: what I miss is just the phyical aspect of it. The dents etc. you'd get in IV were really cool looking. In V you definetely seem to be able to kill the possibility to drive your car (wheel being like \ etc.), it's really just that the graphical aspect of it isn't as good.

This is what I mean: http://www.thegtapla...49_screen03.jpg

I haven't played enough, but it doesn't look like you can get this result our of GTA V, or can you?

I see, I don't know if it was ever to that extent. But I've certainly had some noticeable damage, like bumper/doors fell off. I'll certainly keep an eye out for the big dents.

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

GTAF Rep

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Yeah you can get the results. ... use a melee weapon on a car. Apparently according to this game a baseball bat is more powerful than a 130 mph impact with a big rig

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yeah you can get the results. ... use a melee weapon on a car. Apparently according to this game a baseball bat is more powerful than a 130 mph impact with a big rig

Lol! I guess that doesn't make a lot of sense indeed.

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

GTAF Rep

• Members
  • England

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:04 PM Edited by Wipex President Mike, 20 September 2013 - 01:05 PM.

However it is still immense fun to mount someones car and start smashing the sh*t out of it with bat

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

However it is still immense fun to mount someones car and start smashing the sh*t out of it with bat

GTA FTW baby...

Lukezordz
  • Lukezordz

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

By the way, just been looking on Snapmatic, and found a pretty dented up car :p

0_0.jpg

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hi all,

Quick update.

Thought I'd post a bit more of my impressions about the game so far now that I've been able to play it a bit longer.

Honestly, it's pretty awesome. I love the character switching where you just pop in the lives of each other. There's so much to do and to explore...it's almost scary!

I've just started organizing the first heist and I think it's awesome to have this planning feature in the game.

What else: annimations. I love how natural it looks when you just walk up stairs, you can tell how much went into making this game just by these little details.

You have a dog you can control, need I say more. I was like wtf when he started humping another dog while on a mission lol.

Weapon customization: boy have I always wanted a GTA where you could get a silenced weapon!

Cops are really aggressive. It's a good and bad thing but I like the idea of being able to hide from the cops with their search cone. Makes more sense than previous GTAs and gives more possibilities. If you've seen the movie Drive, you'll know what I'm talking about.

However, 2 things that definetely annoy me:

1. The game lags. I got an older 360 and you can definetely tell the system has trouble handling the game. Typically when you drive fast in the city, the framerate drops. I guess it's not the game's fault though. I tried installing the play disc to a USB stick: first attempt failed, second attempt the 360 tells me the disc is scratched (it's flawless...), third attemp the install went fine but the game wouldn't start. So unless I'm doing something wrong, looks like I'm bound to have lag...!

2. I know, don't hate me, it's been said over and over and half the players have moaned about it, but the driving would certainly benefit some improvements. It just doesn't feel fun to drive. Powersliding is non-existent, braking puts the car to a halt in 2 seconds and, unless I really suck, I find that turning is way too sensitive (might just be me). Damage is ok I guess, R* could patch the game with some sort of "hardcore" mode for SP that renders the cars more damageable, shouldn't be too hard. This way everyone can choose what they want. I don't mind being able to flip the car back if it's on its roof though, it's better than cars that explode like in the older games.

Anything else comes to mind I'll post it here :)

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'm just an hour into the game and the game is amazing the graphics are top notch and there is tons of stuff to do in the game.

LaDispute
  • LaDispute

Los Santos, baby!

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

IV is very very very far away compared to V's graphics, textures, shading, lighting, texture models and game models alone.

It is annoying to see people say they are the same graphically when it can take a dodo bird to tell the graphics are way better in V, also the damage is better i've seen it many times, dents look more realistic too.

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:18 AM Edited by poklane, 27 September 2013 - 09:18 AM.

But graphically, it's the same game

Sir, do you have eyes? Sorry, but if you do a IV to V graphics comparison, you'll cry because of how ugly IV is.

h311m4n
  • h311m4n

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

God dammit, why do you people always have to treat people as idiots simply because they have another opinion than yours? Yes I have eyes and can see very well thank you.

You people misunderstand my point and I made a wrong choice of words. Use your eyes and read what I wrote instead of jumping to the fact I dared saying something bad about the game's graphics. It's not even a bad critisism, it's not as if IV was ugly.

But here's what I realized after playing. I think that most people who complain or say this game is bad are faced with a simple problem: the gap between GTA SA and GTA IV was immense in every aspect of the game. Graphically, GTA IV was millions of miles better looking that GTA SA and a lot of things were simply new for GTA games be it ragdoll physics, "realistic" damage and driving etc. GTA IV was really new on every aspects of the game, not only the story.

On the other hand, GTA V isn't not a complete remake of the franchise as GTA IV was and I think this is why many gamers, over-hyped by a new GTA opus feel let down by this episode. In some ways and from what i've played, I'd dare saying GTA V is more of a GTA 4.75 :). It's GTA IV + new stuff to do + new story + bigger map. But graphically, it's the same game.

I'm just saying the difference between IV and V (in terms of overall graphics, animations, physics) is mininal compared to what the gap was between SA and IV hence why I think so many people felt disappointed by the game and complain about BS.

I personaly love the game, but I'm not having "wowsofookingawesome" reaction as I had for IV. I'm not saying it's not awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users