Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did GTA inspire anyone else to be a criminal?

60 replies to this topic
Failure
  • Failure

A better man than I.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

Inspired my music taste in part, but nothing else.

Found America and The Stone Roses in SA, and became more interested in Black Sabbath after IV, so I owe a good deal to Rockstar, as these bands were critical in developing my taste in the alternative, folk rock and metal genres respectively.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

My dog took a really big sh*t on my bed after watching Chop take a sh*t by his dog house.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

Inspired my music taste in part, but nothing else.

Found America and The Stone Roses in SA, and became more interested in Black Sabbath after IV, so I owe a good deal to Rockstar, as these bands were critical in developing my taste in the alternative, folk rock and metal genres respectively.

Same.

I was more into 90's rap after San Andreas, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Dr.Dre and 80's music after Vice City, Michael Jackson, The Outfield etc

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Its inspired me to embrace my dark side. So yesterday I was in pick n' save and they were giving out samples. Sign said take one....bitch I took three. #thuglife #damnwhytheytryintostickmeformypaper
  • GTA_stu likes this

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

After playing Grand Theft Auto V I want to roam around my city fighting, shooting and stabbing innocent civilians and steal a vehicle by throwing the driver out. I want to get a job as a cabbie so I can take random passengers up to a camp full of nude cannibals and I want to grope strippers in a strip club. I'd like to burn down houses and blow up vehicles and go on to cook meth in the desert, taking out anybody who poses as a threat, including a large scale shoot out with the police force.

Is this what you feel like, OP? That's how it came across to me.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

If a game inspired you to do anything other than gaming.. should end yourself. It's a video game.

Video games can inspire in a positive way, just like movies can, or books, otherwise why would many of these stories have morals to them? for sh*ts and giggles? I think not.

@King Andreas

more people post in gta sections than don't, but most people who post there and nowhere but there are shorter term members, people who will probably leave soon after joining, this forum has got such a huge user-base and has so many regular revisits from users because we can discuss what the f*ck we want. Sports, our favourite movies, music, the weather, the price of wheat, anything.

Enlighten me what game gives off good morals and wants to ignite someone to do something great with their life? Hard to do something great with your life when you're sitting in front of a tv, eating cheetos and drinking Dr Pepper and thinking 'hey this game is so positive' .. yet they don't remove their asses from their chairs, couches, etc. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:57 AM Edited by AceKingston, 24 September 2013 - 11:58 AM.

If a game inspired you to do anything other than gaming.. should end yourself. It's a video game.

Video games can inspire in a positive way, just like movies can, or books, otherwise why would many of these stories have morals to them? for sh*ts and giggles? I think not.

@King Andreas

more people post in gta sections than don't, but most people who post there and nowhere but there are shorter term members, people who will probably leave soon after joining, this forum has got such a huge user-base and has so many regular revisits from users because we can discuss what the f*ck we want. Sports, our favourite movies, music, the weather, the price of wheat, anything.

Enlighten me what game gives off good morals and wants to ignite someone to do something great with their life? Hard to do something great with your life when you're sitting in front of a tv, eating cheetos and drinking Dr Pepper and thinking 'hey this game is so positive' .. yet they don't remove their asses from their chairs, couches, etc. 

GTA V taught me the basics of stock marketing. FIFA taught me a lot about football, after playing FIFA a lot I considered to become a real-life footballer. Video games can inspire and give good morals.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:35 PM Edited by GunWrath, 24 September 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Astronauts made me want to be an astronaut when I was a kid.. but games don't give you those talents.. you have to learn them and dedicate yourself to that said desire which requires years.. nothing overnight.

I'm sorry but Grand Theft Auto doesn't promote any good morals..

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

e.g. deep sea diving

What? It's pretty easy to go scuba diving. I've done it many times and I live nowhere near an ocean anymore. Also I wouldn't really consider the scuba diving in the game to be deep sea diving.

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

-

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Muff diving can be a fun alternative if you live far from the sea. 

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

e.g. deep sea diving

What? It's pretty easy to go scuba diving. I've done it many times and I live nowhere near an ocean anymore. Also I wouldn't really consider the scuba diving in the game to be deep sea diving.

What? no.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Working hard to maintain my sanity.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

I've been running red lights more and more since Vs release.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Whatever happened to the poll?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Astronauts made me want to be an astronaut when I was a kid.. but games don't give you those talents.. you have to learn them and dedicate yourself to that said desire which requires years.. nothing overnight.

I already stated once it does, twice if you take video games into account, thrice if I take Call of Duty 4 from which if I never played I would have never knew about Chernobyl, four times if I take Assassins Creed a lot about foreign history and I would have had no idea who was  Machiavelli, La Volpe etc.

If you still fail to see my point, then you are just too narrow minded to see that video games do promote good morals.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Can’t be true? Can it?

http://guardianlv.com/2013/09/gta-5-inspired-stabbings-cop-impersonations-and-video-game-violence/

http://kotaku.com/5019960/teen-crime-spree-inspired-by-grand-theft-auto

http://www.i4u.com/2013/09/grand-theft-auto/inspired-game-crime-rouge-his-claims-spree-man-gta-baton

http://thedailypixel...-commit-murder/

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

I already stated once it does, twice if you take video games into account, thrice if I take Call of Duty 4 from which if I never played I would have never knew about Chernobyl, four times if I take Assassins Creed a lot about foreign history and I would have had no idea who was  Machiavelli, La Volpe etc.

If you still fail to see my point, then you are just too narrow minded to see that video games do promote good morals.

Learning about history isn't morals, lol, learning about Chernobyl isn't morals, learning about Machiavelli, La Volpe, Da Vinci, isn't morals.. that's knowledge. I think you're the narrow minded one that doesn't even know what morals is.

Morals is learning to be a better person, judging fairly not solely on the cover of a book, etc.. or even having bad morals. Did Assassin's Creed make you want to shake someones hand or hold open the door for someone? I think not.. instead, I'm sure it made you go 'sweet, would be cool to dive off a f*cking building into a hay wagon' .. atleast that's what comes to mind when I play such games. No game teaches me morals, good or bad.

How did learning music from this generation inspire you to do something great? I'm still blind to just what the hell you're saying kid.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

Later, losers.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Anyone? Only me? 

You're the reason people think video games are bad but 50 SHADES OF GREY is perfectly acceptable.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:40 AM

Video games can inspire

This bit is true. They don't really inspire someone to kill unless they are a lunatic, but they can inspire in a positive way like the way a story is done, certain features can teach you things, et cetera. Just because you're playing a game doesn't mean you're mindlessly sitting behind a screen gettin fat.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Learning about history isn't morals, lol, learning about Chernobyl isn't morals, learning about Machiavelli, La Volpe, Da Vinci, isn't morals.. that's knowledge. I think you're the narrow minded one that doesn't even know what morals is.

Morals is learning to be a better person, judging fairly not solely on the cover of a book, etc.. or even having bad morals. Did Assassin's Creed make you want to shake someones hand or hold open the door for someone? I think not.. instead, I'm sure it made you go 'sweet, would be cool to dive off a f*cking building into a hay wagon' .. atleast that's what comes to mind when I play such games. No game teaches me morals, good or bad.

How did learning music from this generation inspire you to do something great? I'm still blind to just what the hell you're saying kid.

You're the one who's missing the point. First you said 'inspire' and then 'good morals'. So, I got confused. 'Inspire' and 'Morals' are two completely different meanings.

Why not? AC can inspire someone to do something great maybe not me, not you but someone in the world. If that guy has got an insane amount of interest in history he can become a historian. Warfare games like Call of Duty or Battlefield can inspire someone to go fight in the army. Maybe it sounds moronic to you but we are all not the same, we have different aspirations, there'll definitely be someone in the world who hopes to be in the army in the future.

And learning music didn't inspire me but it'd definitely inspire a lot of people who have talents in creating their own music. Take for example San Andreas, rap music it could inspire some wannabe real-life rapper. FIFA's got a great selection of soundtracks and that's another source of inspiration.

And if there is one game that inspired my knack for writing is GTA. The story of GTA is brilliantly written and it's persuaded me to write GTA fanfics and actually improved my writing. Believe it or not, after I wrote my first GTA fanfic, my writing improved drastically. I was able to create my own fictional universe in writing. I can show you proof if you want. Even David Cage, writer of the video game beyond: two souls talked about the game's story and that also inspired me.

I think it's pretty clear who is the narrow minded one now.

sofa_king
  • sofa_king

C20-H25-N3-O

• The Connection

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

No GTA hasn't inspired me to be a criminal. However to this day, when I come to a

ridiculously busy interstate, I croch down and hop across it on all fours.

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Good Lord...

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:09 PM Edited by lil weasel, 26 September 2013 - 03:09 PM.

The ULTIMA games (from IV on)  had a morality test at the start to form the character of your persona in the game:

Check it out:

http://www.tk421.net/ultima/

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

You're the one who's missing the point. First you said 'inspire' and then 'good morals'. So, I got confused. 'Inspire' and 'Morals' are two completely different meanings.

Why not? AC can inspire someone to do something great maybe not me, not you but someone in the world. If that guy has got an insane amount of interest in history he can become a historian. Warfare games like Call of Duty or Battlefield can inspire someone to go fight in the army. Maybe it sounds moronic to you but we are all not the same, we have different aspirations, there'll definitely be someone in the world who hopes to be in the army in the future.

And learning music didn't inspire me but it'd definitely inspire a lot of people who have talents in creating their own music. Take for example San Andreas, rap music it could inspire some wannabe real-life rapper. FIFA's got a great selection of soundtracks and that's another source of inspiration.

And if there is one game that inspired my knack for writing is GTA. The story of GTA is brilliantly written and it's persuaded me to write GTA fanfics and actually improved my writing. Believe it or not, after I wrote my first GTA fanfic, my writing improved drastically. I was able to create my own fictional universe in writing. I can show you proof if you want. Even David Cage, writer of the video game beyond: two souls talked about the game's story and that also inspired me.

Lol .. kids these days.

afk4ever
  • afk4ever

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

Ignoring what your parents tell you to do isn't considered being a criminal.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

Don't Mind Me...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

The only thing playing V has made me do so far is drive about 3 blocks in reverse.

Not much else has changed. I still make petty thefts at my normal rates.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

It didn't inspire me to do crime or nothing, but it did give me an idea to transport drugs without being noticed:

Spoiler

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:01 AM Edited by AceKingston, 27 September 2013 - 03:59 AM.

Lol .. kids these days.

Disappointing. I expected you to stand up for your opinion GW.

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:08 AM Edited by Shenmue18, 27 September 2013 - 09:08 AM.

Yes, I stole a Snickers bar 3 weeks ago, I'm still hiding from the authorities. What can I say, I'm a rebel.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• None
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Thanks to GTA i've become a habitual Yoga offender.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:30 PM Edited by lil weasel, 27 September 2013 - 12:31 PM.

Yes, I stole a Snickers bar 3 weeks ago, I'm still hiding from the authorities. What can I say, I'm a rebel.

Three weeks ago? Didn't you change your shirt, or paint your car, or go to sleep? Any of those should have cleared your want statis. :^:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users