Quantcast

» «
Photo

OverHyped by R*?

83 replies to this topic

Poll: OverHyped by R*? (217 member(s) have cast votes)

OverHyped by R*?

1. Yes (115 votes [51.57%])

Percentage of vote: 51.57%

2. No (108 votes [48.43%])

Percentage of vote: 48.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote
CallumL
  • CallumL

I love you, but you're an asshole.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

I was expecting a whole lot more from GTA V. The amount of rumors that was said, and only a small percentage of them were actually true. In conclusion, yes it was over hyped. 

• tom_p1980 likes this

Badass Big J
  • Badass Big J

Badass

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

oh wow look the mods deleted my post

Paaldanzen Danzma
  • Paaldanzen Danzma

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Overhyped like no other game before!

am30
  • am30

surprisingly nice

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

No, it wasn't overhyped by R*.  It was however overhyped by us, the gamers.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

There are two questions here. Was it overhyped by R*? and Was it worth the 5-year wait?

Yes and.. hmmm...

I'm still thinking...

:^: Indeed, good point.  I won't be able to say that GTAV / GTA0 was worth the 5-year wait until a couple of years from now.  

As a counterexample, I played TBOGT for years until RDR, and then I played both of them up until GTAV was released.  So in retrospect, they were both worth their wait.  I really had a good time anticipating RDR, even though it was more than a year from first marketing info until release.  :)

On the other hand, GTAV marketing put me through the wringer.  One thing that I can say for sure is that GTAV/GTA0 were not worth the unexpected 2 years of hell that Rockstar marketing visited upon us.  And that cracked marketing effort dovetails with the widespread sense that GTAV was overhyped.  :angry:

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:59 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 15 December 2013 - 10:02 PM.

I was expecting a whole lot more from GTA V. The amount of rumors that was said, and only a small percentage of them were actually true. In conclusion, yes it was over hyped. 

That's not R* though. That's the fans.

R* hyped the game up like any company hypes their game up. Infact, you can argue they did less than other companies by not releasing much info.

However, when they did that, they left stuff up to the fans, who then speculated, etc. And then other people believed that speculation, and believed it all the way to them playing the game. Then, when they found out that what they speculated wasn't true, they were disappointed.

It was definitely the fans. No game company is innocent, but the fans were the big majority who hyped the game up to superhuman standards.

am30
  • am30

surprisingly nice

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Overhyped but not by R*.

They merely advertised the next instalment of what has become one of the biggest and most successful series of games ever.  Of course it was going to attract a lot of hype from media and fans.  R* didn't really have to do anything, the game marketed itself on the brand alone.

I remember seeing the adverts for IV and I was just as impressed watching them as I was watching the adverts for V but the advertising was not excessive or overly showy.  The hype was most definately not any fault of R*.

Cue insults etc.......

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:48 AM

Oh and to the second question.....

The answer is no. I would not say that GTA V was worth a 5-year wait.

I honestly thought after 5 years, the game would have blown all GTAs (even San Andreas) out of the water. It did nowhere near it. 

• saintsrow likes this

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:16 AM

@Vic2.0

It won GOTY because reviewers din't let the hype get up to them nor did they have retarded expectations like you did.

Its in second place with all the GOTY awards. Theirs a reason why companies besides big ones don't pick GTA. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:41 AM

Not worth V years to me.
  • Luddite likes this

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

It should have released last spring

They pushed it to fall and that created this massive hype because of the drought of no other good games

I think it is a decent product but they bit off more than they could chew in other words there's not enough substance
  • tom_p1980 likes this

Aly Zaroon
  • Aly Zaroon

Spammaster

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

What do you think?

Was it worth 5 years?

What do you think?

Was it worth 5 years?

no it wasn't worth it :( because of gta v disappointment i stopped playing games GTA V help me to realize that i was wasting money and time on Games so thanks for GTA V for that 

they waste LS they shoulda continue the stroy back from san andreas with LV and SF stupid COCKSTAR 

RyanM1995
  • RyanM1995

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

You guys are mad if you don't like GTA V. Not sure what you guys were expecting. Sure it isn't perfect but neither was GTA IV and I played that for 5 years.

gtaismyman
  • gtaismyman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

You guys are mad if you don't like GTA V. Not sure what you guys were expecting. Sure it isn't perfect but neither was GTA IV and I played that for 5 years.

Nah GTA IV is awesome compared to GTA i felt like i don't have much to do cause it offer less fun then the past GTA titles

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:48 PM Edited by Official General, 16 December 2013 - 12:50 PM.

I don't know who you are referring to, but I never said that I did not like GTA V. It is still a very good game, it's part of my collection and I will replay it again at some later stage in the near future. 

I was not expecting the game to be the greatest game ever made. All I was simply expecting, was for it be a great improvement over GTA IV, and to contain all or nearly all of the most popular GTA features - but it did not fully achieve anything this. I just don't think it was worth the 5 year wait, and yes, to some extent it was overhyped. 

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

GTA 4 is poles apart than GTA V.

One is more close to traditional GTA style. 

GTA V is a mix of both GTA SA and GTA 4 plus RDR to a very small extent.

I always hate comparisons. As if one GTA is sh*t compared to another one that follows or vice versa

Very wrong imo

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Over-hyped by the fans, more like. There's a lot of complaints about things that R* NEVER CONFIRMED AS BEING IN THE GAME not being there.  There was a lot of inference from the fans that these things they saw in the trailers were absolute solid-gold proof of features in the game. But these things were not even mentioned by R*. 

So... how did they over hype it?

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:14 PM Edited by Official General, 16 December 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Over-hyped by the fans, more like. There's a lot of complaints about things that R* NEVER CONFIRMED AS BEING IN THE GAME not being there.  There was a lot of inference from the fans that these things they saw in the trailers were absolute solid-gold proof of features in the game. But these things were not even mentioned by R*. 

You're either being in denial or you are a dedicated Rockstar fanboy and defender if you really believe that Rockstar did not at least overhype the game to some extent. I'm not gonna go into detail, you surely have seen the previous comments here on this thread that have explained many times why many considered the game to be overhyped to varying degrees. 

I personally would not say they totally overhyped it in a very big way, but to some extent they clearly did. Naturally it is expected that most game developers would do that for their major brand-name games anyway. It's not necessarily a bad or a good thing, but sometimes it can backfire depending on just how much the game meets most fan's expectations. In the case of V, critically it has not been a flying success with many GTA fans that it was expected to be, there have been very mixed reactions, some think it;s great, others not so great. So it's not hard to see why many consider it overhyped. 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

You're either being in denial or you are a dedicated Rockstar fanboy and defender if you really believe that Rockstar did not at least overhype the game to some extent. I'm not gonna go into detail, you surely have seen the previous comments here on this thread that have explained many times why many considered the game to be overhyped to varying degrees. 

I personally would not say they totally overhyped it in a very big way, but to some extent they clearly did. Naturally it is expected that most game developers would do that for their major brand-name games anyway. It's not necessarily a bad or a good thing, but sometimes it can backfire depending on just how much the game meets most fan's expectations. In the case of V, critically it has not been a flying success with many GTA fans that it was expected to be, there have been very mixed reactions, some think it;s great, others not so great. So it's not hard to see why many consider it overhyped. 

Oh please, enough with this R* fanboy bullsh*t. Is it really so hard for you to imagine that there are people that really enjoy this game? (Me being one of them.)

Yes. I am a fan of R*. 

Yes. I have played pretty much everything they've released.

No. I don't believe they are untouchables and can do no wrong (I've just encountered a bug that's stopping me from getting 100% - have I complained? Yes.)

No. I don't believe they overhyped the game. 

Let's go back to trailer one. There's a guy nailing a foreclosed sign outside his house. OH GOD, PROPERTY PURCHASING CONFIRMED. By who? By someone that saw a correlation? Or by R* saying 'yeah, you can have multiple safe houses in SP'. Yeah, they never said that. So, it was a fan watching the trailer that thought it must be there - and when it wasn't, everyone said 'oh god we've been lied to'.

No. There was no lie. There was no confirmation. Someone said it was there because of what they saw. Empirical evidence is not entirely reliable. R* didn't comment either way. So who hyped that feature, then?

Let's not even get into our weekly bash-fest, Offish. It's boring. 

Simon_V
  • Simon_V

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

For me it was worth to wait 4 years for GTAV, it's an awesome game + I'm surprised that R*N will release Singleplayer DLC, because they said that they will not do the ''Episodes'' for GTAV.

Jimmy Boston
  • Jimmy Boston

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Overhyped? I think it's called marketing. The only problem is when players develop unrealistic expectations. I expected a decent game, but nothing special and it exceeded my realistic expectations.

I see this hype debate with nearly every big game released. After a couple years gaming, you'll learn to stop buying into the hype and expecting some magical idealized game. What do people really expect? And if they can do better, why don't they start their own development studio and start releasing perfect games every year?

Only very rarely does a game, movie or anything come out that's a surprise and actually lives up to or exceeds the marketing hyperbole. And even then it's on an personal, individual basis. Other people still may hate it.

Bottom line, did you enjoy it or not? Maybe not, but that doesn't mean R* shouldn't advertise and sell it.

• Fuzzknuckles, Geralt of Rivia and Luddite like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

Overhyped? I think it's called marketing. The only problem is when players develop unrealistic expectations. I expected a decent game, but nothing special and it exceeded my realistic expectations.

I see this hype debate with nearly every big game released. After a couple years gaming, you'll learn to stop buying into the hype and expecting some magical idealized game. What do people really expect? And if they can do better, why don't they start their own development studio and start releasing perfect games every year?

Only very rarely does a game, movie or anything come out that's a surprise and actually lives up to or exceeds the marketing hyperbole. And even then it's on an personal, individual basis. Other people still may hate it.

Bottom line, did you enjoy it or not? Maybe not, but that doesn't mean R* shouldn't advertise and sell it.

Ladies and gentlemen, we can close the thread. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:51 PM Edited by Official General, 16 December 2013 - 01:53 PM.

@ Fuzz

Not being rude, but I cannot be bothered to go into detail as to why I believe it was overhyoed to some extent. I refer you to my previous posts. I just don't wanna be writing the same things over and over again.

Okay you are not a fanboy or defender, you are just a loyal Rockstar customer that is generally always content and happy with whatever Rockstar gives you. Sorry I hurt your emotions, peace. 

• Fuzzknuckles likes this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

@ Fuzz

Not being rude, but I cannot be bothered to go into detail as to why i believe it was overhyoed to some extent. I refer you to my previous posts. I just don't wanna be writing the same things over and over again.

Okay you are not a fanboy or defender, you are just a loyal Rockstar customer that is generally always content and happy with whatever Rockstar gives you. Sorry I hurt your emotions, peace. 

You're going to hate what I wrote in the other thread then...

I see where you're coming from, I really do. I get it. But 99% of the complaints I've read on here about what was 'cut' from the game was never confirmed by R*. Never. So who is to blame when fans are disappointed?

Obviously, it's the fans who thought those things were there. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

@ Fuzz

Not being rude, but I cannot be bothered to go into detail as to why i believe it was overhyoed to some extent. I refer you to my previous posts. I just don't wanna be writing the same things over and over again.

You're going to hate what I wrote in the other thread then...

I see where you're coming from, I really do. I get it. But 99% of the complaints I've read on here about what was 'cut' from the game was never confirmed by R*. Never. So who is to blame when fans are disappointed?

Obviously, it's the fans who thought those things were there. 

I disagree about what you stated about the fans. People keep blaming the fans or the overhyping, but it would have only been a small element on here at least. I was on here closely following and being involved in pre-relase discussions, and I can honestly tell you that I don't remember anyone having unrealistic, and over-imaginative expectations about what would be in GTA V. Most of it was just a desire for simple, but popular features in previous GTAs like robbing stores, gang wars, drug-dealing, gambling, properties, interiors, etc. I cannot remember anyone making near impossible demands. 

Ask Son Of Liberty, he'll tell you the same thing. 

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:33 PM Edited by GamerShotgun, 16 December 2013 - 02:41 PM.

The thing is, Rockstar clearly didn't give a sh*t released in previews/reviews about Grand Theft Auto V. 

It IS overhyped BY ROCKSTAR. Pretty sure they've paid a nice amount of money to most of the previewers/reviewers... and that is, my friends, a way to overhype a game. 

Read back a little and see how much stuff is cut from the final game, based on what article writers told we were able to do. If R* didn't want to overhype this game, then they'd have told them what not to include in their writings.

Stop blaming the fans for being supportive. We are mostly trying to get things implemented in a game that are, in all seriousness, just some lines of code and wouldn't require extra models, textures, other resources.

If modders can do it in no time on PC, with a decent outcome, then a company which makes billions from their franchise could easily do the same.

Despite these things, the wait was well worth five years.

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Rockstar haven't overhyped anything, GTA marketing is scarse at times, the fans overhype it because of the dry spells of information. Everyone gets super excited even at screenshots. Nobody knows what the game is going to be about for a very long time, the hype is natural, and because of it, the games sell a crap load more than anything else on the market. Where is the problem?

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:49 PM Edited by GamerShotgun, 16 December 2013 - 02:53 PM.

Rockstar haven't overhyped anything, GTA marketing is scarse at times, the fans overhype it because of the dry spells of information. Everyone gets super excited even at screenshots. Nobody knows what the game is going to be about for a very long time, the hype is natural, and because of it, the games sell a crap load more than anything else on the market. Where is the problem?

The problem is with Rockstar nor confirming, nor denying rumors started by previewers/reviewers. I remember when an article about San Andreas stated that we could buy our own casino empire in Las Venturas. That's a passive way to take part in overhyping a game, which is obviously good for a company.

The forums of course were blown up by that information...

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

The problem is with Rockstar nor confirming, nor denying rumors started by previewers/reviewers.

That's one of their marketing strengths, IMO. They don't need to say anything, they're not obliged to comment on anything. They just announce the game, dribble out some vague information then let the fans go wild with it. It's worked for the last three releases. 

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:08 PM Edited by GamerShotgun, 16 December 2013 - 03:08 PM.

The problem is with Rockstar nor confirming, nor denying rumors started by previewers/reviewers.

That's one of their marketing strengths, IMO. They don't need to say anything, they're not obliged to comment on anything. They just announce the game, dribble out some vague information then let the fans go wild with it. It's worked for the last three releases. 

And that is a great way to get things hyped, even overhyped when it comes to that point.

I agree it's a good marketing strategy, but the answer here is obvious. They are helping the subject of overhyping their products, they even take their part of it, so they'll get better sale numbers and more money.. it's understandable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users