Photo

Hiroshi Yamauchi passed away at 85.

5 replies to this topic
Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:26 PM Edited by Tchuck, 19 September 2013 - 09:29 PM.

The man who made Nintendo what it is has passed away at age 85.

Hiroshi Yamauchi, a longtime president of Nintendo (1949-2002) and the predecessor to current boss Satoru Iwata, has passed away today at the age of 85, Nikkei reports.

Formerly the richest man in Japan, Yamauchi also owned Seattle's Major League Baseball team, the Mariners (though he famously never attended a game).
A champion of the efforts to develop home consoles like the NES, Yamauchi abandoned his university studies to take up the position when his grandfather suffered a stroke. He led the company through it's great transition from a maker of children's toys and card games to its position today as one of the world's great video game studios and platform holders.
Yamauchi passed away in a Kyoto hospital, where he had been suffering from pneumonia.

Responsible for turning what was a small toy business into a video game giant, he made Nintendo what it is, and made my childhood what it was. Had his flaws, but was shrewd like no other. Brought Miyamoto on board, and believed in him, resulting in all the hits and memorable characters we've come to know and love. 

Respect forever. RIP 山内さん.

• Spider-Vice and Adler like this

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

I love Nintendo. Mad respect to Yamauchi.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Responsible for many, many people's childhoods. This man was a legend, rest in peace.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

Bummer to hear he's gone :/. Never knew he was the richest man in Japan, though. I thought some Honda/Toyota dude held that title.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Without him I wouldn't have had sweet memories of my good old NES.

RIP.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have to give him credit for the Super Mario games and his Nintendo consoles. One smart visionary, may you rest in peace.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users