Quantcast

» «
Photo

IV Is still the king! Anyone Else Agree?

235 replies to this topic
NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

By the OP's nickname, I stopped reading and now I'm running away from this thread

You remembered to post before running :lol:

Yeah

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

GTA V is in no way inferior to GTA IV.

Apparently I'm one of the only people here who really didn't enjoy IV at all.

With that said, I seem to also be one of the only ones here who really enjoys V.

There's no comparison IMO. GTA V is a million times better than IV.

• NADOLNY likes this

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

With that said, I seem to also be one of the only ones here who really enjoys V.

I didn't even notice the OP's name until just now. That explains this topic.

2e5.jpg

• MikeMyth likes this

Ermac
  • Ermac

Black Spasmodic

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

Far from it actually.

Brock Elvis
  • Brock Elvis

-... .-. --- -.-. -.-/. .-.. ...- .. ...

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

GTA IV is superior so far in my opinion, unless Rockstar can produce GTA VI in the next year.

Terminus
  • Terminus

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

Vice City is the king and always has been.  Though I will accept a good argument for SA.

Since SA, GTA has become less of a game that you can sit around and pass the controller to friends.  Whether its the transition from the fun, arcadey GTA to the fun, sometimes tedious, atmospheric GTA, i don't know.

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

I'm lost at sea, don't bother me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

Yeah i do but that will end the first sec V comes to PC

Beat this sh*tty consoles

r8_by_mk_moex-d6n0ke0.png

GTA V on console looks a lot better than that sh*t

Also seeing your behaviour in this thread, fix your issues bro, they are showing really well.

Off topic, I know... But my game kinda looks like sh*t. I have no idea why either, its kinda hard to see when going fast and especially when its really bright out in the game. Does your GTA V actually look better than that?

Anyway, I can't answer this yet. Haven't beaten the story (haven't been able to play much) but alongside how GTA:O is going and the kind of f*cked up graphics (lots of people having problems) I'd say GTA IV is kind of better (HD uni, not all GTA).

LoneWolfMargaret
  • LoneWolfMargaret

Gamer, Artist, Lone Wolf.

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love V. I can recognize in many ways it's technically superior to IV but for me it just doesn't have the same magic that IV did. Once I've finished my current playthrough of V I'm going straight back to IV for another blast through Liberty City.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Far from it actually.
A day doesn't pass by when someone isn't whining about it being boring or having nothing to do. Want proof ? Hang out in the GTA V forum for a few hours. Guarantee someone will rant how much GTA IV sucks,

If anything I'd say the feeling's the opposite. Being a GTA IV fan is like finding a needle in a haystack.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:01 PM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 09 October 2013 - 03:23 PM.

I didn't even notice the OP's name until just now. That explains this topic.

2e5.jpg

am  i the only one who finds this Texts On Pictures really Overused and Unfunny.   :sigh:

Ermac
  • Ermac

Black Spasmodic

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Far from it actually.
A day doesn't pass by when someone isn't whining about it being boring or having nothing to do. Want proof ? Hang out in the GTA V forum for a few hours. Guarantee someone will rant how much GTA IV sucks,

If anything I'd say the feeling's the opposite. Being a GTA IV fan is like finding a needle in a haystack.

It's the scapegoat round these parts. Want to get people on your side about anything? Just say how much IV sucks and they'll agree, even if you're talking about how rape should be legal.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

GTA IV might be heavily outdated graphically speaking (nothing a good ol' ENB won't fix), however 'that magic' is very much still alive.. 

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

I was surprised and a little disappointed to see The Benz attribute the darkness of IV to the funk Rockstar was in following the Hot Coffee scandal, as though darkness needs to be justified as an unwelcome outside force that seeped in because their guard was down.

It's very reminiscent of George Lucas explaining the relative darkness of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as a product of his bad mood following his divorce.

super_slav
  • super_slav

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Perfect example of quality over quantity, sure GTA V might have planes and a bigger map, more protag's but GTA IV is a better game.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

GTA IV might be heavily outdated graphically speaking (nothing a good ol' ENB won't fix), however 'that magic' is very much still alive..

I wouldn't even say that. I've played GTA IV a few times since playing GTA V and graphically GTA IV still looks great for its age. Clearly it has aged in areas, but compared to a lot of 2008 games it holds its own very well IMO.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

It's a bit ironic and tragic at the same time how some people can be biased towards one game. Bashing IV for not being original and praising at the same time SA, which story was nothing more that a cliche mess up made from Boyz in the Hood, Ocean's Eleven and or bits of James Bond movies.

IV story wasn't the best scenario in the world, being based on well-known revenge plot, but Yugoslavian wars sauce, rather fresh russian bratva setting and believable characters turned it into the best GTA story so far. 

None of that borrowed storyline stuff matters, the only thing that matters when comparing GTA's is fun factor. This concept is something that is completely lost on the fans who prefer games like GTA 4 and 5 over San Andreas/Vice City. These dudes always want to talk about "storyline", "graphics", "engines", and all this other technological irrelevant sh*t. The new obsession now is "draw distance". The only thing that matters in gaming is which game is more FUN than the other. And "fun factor" is something that people who like GTA 4 and GTA 5 over a game like San Andreas never want to discuss. That's the one issue they always run away from when arguing over GTA's. They try to make things more technical than it should be.

This is exactly what I am saying. Vice City didn't have the best graphics in the world but the game was fun.

When LCS came out all the kids bitched about the graphics not being good enough without even thinking the game was incredibly fun and worth playing based solely on the factor of it being fun.

No one cared about the stories in the other games, and they really aren't that bad considering it's a video game named after a felony charge. The best part about the games before IV, is they didn't take themselves seriously. It was meant as a joke, the characters themselves were caricatures that could never be taken seriously in the real world.

If I am going to play a video game, I want to have fun. Fun is something I didn't find much of at all in IV. The graphics can be as realistic as possible, I don't care but it's a big sacrifice just to have fun. It's basically "look but don't touch".

IV was far more fun than any GTA before it. The vastly improved physics alone made it far better, the game played much more dynamically and fluidly than previous ones.

• B Dawg likes this

stevean2
  • stevean2

Fast As You Can Fap!

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

I think V is good but the driving is inferior. All of a sudden that "fast and responsive" bullsh*t seems great to everyone but I prefer skill and sophistication. V's driving is okay and adaptable but not near the level of IV at all!

Confirmed idiot alert. Noone said it was a competition against IV AT ALL. it doesn't have to be near its "level" GTA always had V's driving system. So no. IV isnt near GTA's level AT ALL.

bye bye now.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:11 PM Edited by BabeRuth, 14 October 2013 - 11:14 PM.

Three things IV(4) has over V(5)

(1) New York City.
(2) Better Ending.
(3) Driving.

Enough said. :)

stevean2
  • stevean2

Fast As You Can Fap!

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

(1) New York City.
(2) Better Ending.
(3) Driving.

1) Oh that bland grey piece of sh*t with barely anything to do? yes. SO SUPERIOR.
2) ... nope. probably for people who LOVE emotion. but for everyone else. No.
3) No.

Opinon doesnt = fact.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:42 PM Edited by BabeRuth, 14 October 2013 - 11:45 PM.

1) Oh that bland grey piece of sh*t with barely anything to do? yes. SO SUPERIOR.
3) No.

(1) How is it a piece Of sh*t? How is there nothing to do? Here let me quote you "OPINION DOESN'T = FACT"
(2) Oh ya capping 3 different people in less than 5 minuets is a way superior ending, plus pushing somebody off a cliff.
(3) Yes, the driving was sh*t in V(unless your Franklin).

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

We had dreams and songs to sing

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

I love GTA IV, I love GTA V too. I'll always have very fond memories of playng GTA IV, single player and multiplayer, for 5 years straight I played IV, I thought the graphics for the time were phenomenal and the storyline was perfect. But right now I'm creating the same memories for GTA V, and being fully immersed in that world. Both games are absolute masterpieces. Before V's release, I was playing through San Andreas, if I could be bothered to set my PS2 up, I'd play Vice City too, I'll never stop playing IV either, all the games are awesome.

• Officer Ronson likes this

libertycitymobster326
  • libertycitymobster326

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

I had some fun with TBOGT and TLAD but the core game is so boring. There is literally nothing to do after the story. 

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Nope it isn't still King. It never was.

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

Posted the following in another thread by accident:

Once I 100% V, there's nothing there that has any replay value for me (Multiplayer holds no attraction for me in any game), and will definitely be going back to GTA IV. As far as I'm concerned, despite the beautiful looking world and vast improvement on IV's clunky shooting mechanics, GTA IV is head and shoulders above V in terms of gameplay, story, atmosphere, humour and immersion. R* completely devolved the driving experience in V to Mario Kart car control and mechanics, the story is messy and without any direction, not to mention unbelievably short (some of the main missions can't even be considered as proper missions) that I feel R* sacrificed the Single Player experience which their games have always been based on, concentrating on MP.

GTA IV was epic in storytelling and gameplay, a Martin Scorcese or Francis Ford Coppola three and a half hour magnum opus as opposed to GTA V's style-over-substance 90 minute action movie - and to be honest, there was far more action in IV than in V.

IV also had three protagonists with an entwining story, it's just that you couldn't switch characters during gameplay. The humour was more subtle and amusing as opposed to the "slapstick" insanity in V. I found Niko to be a far more engaging character, one that was easier to relate to and sympathise with, with a very dry sense of humour and an amusing aside. His dialogue and interaction, not just with other story characters, but peds, police etc was amusing.

IV had more memorable characters; Roman, Brucie, Yusuf, Packie, Tony Prince, and my favourite NPC, Little Jacob. There was a true cameraderie between Little Jacob and Niko that has never been bettered before or after IV. In V, the only character that truly stands out is Trevor, but other than that, most are forgettable.

I wanted to love GTA V, I wanted it to be better in every way that IV, but having played it I feel it was grossly overhyped and didn't live up to my expectations. R* dropped the ball on so many things in this game and I'm astonished with the end result, bearing in mind that it was postponed a year because R* wanted to "tweak" it to make it better - and this was the result? It is a very good game, with many interesting and novel features, but sadly it could have been so much better than it is.

So yes, I will be returning to, and continue playing IV, to get the bitter experience and sour taste of the driving physics out of my mouth until GTA VI comes along.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Posted the following in another thread by accident:

Once I 100% V, there's nothing there that has any replay value for me (Multiplayer holds no attraction for me in any game), and will definitely be going back to GTA IV. As far as I'm concerned, despite the beautiful looking world and vast improvement on IV's clunky shooting mechanics, GTA IV is head and shoulders above V in terms of gameplay, story, atmosphere, humour and immersion. R* completely devolved the driving experience in V to Mario Kart car control and mechanics, the story is messy and without any direction, not to mention unbelievably short (some of the main missions can't even be considered as proper missions) that I feel R* sacrificed the Single Player experience which their games have always been based on, concentrating on MP.

GTA IV was epic in storytelling and gameplay, a Martin Scorcese or Francis Ford Coppola three and a half hour magnum opus as opposed to GTA V's style-over-substance 90 minute action movie - and to be honest, there was far more action in IV than in V.

IV also had three protagonists with an entwining story, it's just that you couldn't switch characters during gameplay. The humour was more subtle and amusing as opposed to the "slapstick" insanity in V. I found Niko to be a far more engaging character, one that was easier to relate to and sympathise with, with a very dry sense of humour and an amusing aside. His dialogue and interaction, not just with other story characters, but peds, police etc was amusing.

IV had more memorable characters; Roman, Brucie, Yusuf, Packie, Tony Prince, and my favourite NPC, Little Jacob. There was a true cameraderie between Little Jacob and Niko that has never been bettered before or after IV. In V, the only character that truly stands out is Trevor, but other than that, most are forgettable.

I wanted to love GTA V, I wanted it to be better in every way that IV, but having played it I feel it was grossly overhyped and didn't live up to my expectations. R* dropped the ball on so many things in this game and I'm astonished with the end result, bearing in mind that it was postponed a year because R* wanted to "tweak" it to make it better - and this was the result? It is a very good game, with many interesting and novel features, but sadly it could have been so much better than it is.

So yes, I will be returning to, and continue playing IV, to get the bitter experience and sour taste of the driving physics out of my mouth until GTA VI comes along.

Amen.

V has no substance and no depth. The characters feel like caricatures, not real people. The protagonists aren't that interesting, and everything seems so immature. It's like they heard some people bitching about IV's dark tone and they went WAY too far trying to "fix" it (not that it needed to be fixed besides the rather drab graphics).

V also has way too many "action missions", IV carefully placed them in the story, utilizing highs and lows, like how any good story should (I'm an amateur writer, I have to know these things). V is just nothing but endless action each mission that actually is longer than 2 minutes, and in the end, I'm just...why? The story is incoherent and honestly each mission I'm just wondering why I should feel invested in it. But in IV, when there was an "action" mission, you FELT something. It felt like the plot had been slowly building up to these epic moments.

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:47 PM Edited by Vatus, 16 October 2013 - 11:56 PM.

I didn't see this thread before the other thread. So I'll just post my thoughts here too:

I don't think it is. It misses out a bunch of features and mission variety.

1. Missions

I think a lot of us who played GTA 4 know that the missions can be repetitive. And not just drive to point A to point B deal. It's the presentation and the heavy scripted car chase scenes. It's too much. It's predecessor had less scripted car chase scenes where you can kill the driver, police chase you, or any other random thing could happen. They all too familary presentation of going driving to point A to point B to a warehouse or field or something to kill somebody. They never add anything too different. You were basically a hit man throughout the game.

Granted, Ballad of Gay Tony DLC added some cool missions.

2. Nothing to spend your money on

GTA 4 lacked here in comparison to Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA 5. While you could spend your money on clothes and guns, you are just restricted to that alone. In all the games that I mentioned, you can do that and buy properties and businesses. SA and GTA 5 you can customize your car and have more clothes to buy.

Granted, GTA 4 is suppose to be most realistic out of the current GTAs, but still doesn't exclude the lack of stuff that you can't do with your money. You don't have to buy businesses, but car customization and more apartments would've been nice  to have seeing as GTA: SA did it before you. Even when I robbed the freakin' bank, my standard of living don't really seem to change much because I don't really have anything to spend it on. Hell, Niko is still looking for work as a hitman. But this leads to my personal dislike of the game.

3. Your standard of living and status don't change much (personal opinion)

Niko throughout the game was a hitman for various of gangstas and some corrupt cops. But imo, you never really feel like you step up the ranks that much. While you do work for the higher organizations and higher boss within that organization, you are basically a hitman. You were always a hitman and nothing more than that. They never even give you benefits for being great hitman. They hardly awknowledge that you were a awesome hitman. There was no moving on up for NIko. Granted, you did go to a different apartments, but I don't recall it was out of your money (correct me if I'm wrong) but it was out of the storyline and Roman's money.

Like with San Andreas, you work your way to the top again of your own gang. With the respect meter, you were able to recruit other gangstas to follow you. You weren't really the leader of the gang, but co-leader I suppose. But at least they awknowledge your hard work. In Vice City you also work your way to the top. Right before you even establish your own gang there, you had major respect of top gangstas there for the work you did for them. The whole game felt like a monotone of working hard to achieve little.

That was something I was missing for GTA 4. Maybe you guys felt differently than me.

Anyway, I do like the storyline and its darker and serious tone of the series. But it misses out a few gameplay features and progression that just make the prior games and GTA 5 very fun. The game itself was both a step forward and a step backwards. It was almost like remake of GTA 3 instead of a advancement of GTA: SA and Vice City. Despite my criticism, it is still a great game. I just don't think it's the best.

This is me comparing GTA 4 to other GTA games though. I see some of  you are comparing GTA 5 to GTA 4.

GTA 5 vs GTA 4 brief:

There are a few reasons why I would prefer GTA 5 over GTA 4. It improve upon it on many levels. The only things I feel GTA 4 is better than GTA 5 are the car destrutcton (driving at top speed and seeing Niko crash is very fun), more interior buildings to explore, and I feel there is a stronger main antagonist. Other than those three things, I find GTA 5 better than GTA 4 in almost everywhere. The shooting is more fluid, the missions are more fun, varied, and have more replayablity, more fun activites, more things to spend your money on, GTA online is better, planes, cover system is more tactical because your character is fragile, friends don't call you every 5 mins, and a bunch of other things.

I don't think it's GTA 4 is better than GTA 5 with its gameplay mechanics. But that's true with every GTA. They always improve on the gameplay. The question is, what game had more features, better missions, lasting appeal, and better story?

But if some of you guys think GTA 4 is better than that's fine. I don't know how exactly. Maybe the story, tone and city?

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

(1) New York City.
(2) Better Ending.
(3) Driving.

3) No.

Opinon doesnt = fact.

1. Barely anything? I laughed.

2. There wasn't so much love, but the story is absolutely awesome in IV, V is great, but it doesn't surpass IV's.

3. The arcadey kiddy sh*t driving sucks in GTA V. If people like this crap, I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

• BabeRuth likes this

Databank
  • Databank

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yep I agree, GTA IV was better for several reasons. The driving was waay better, I hate the new arcade style, super easy driving controls. The game is too easy now and doesn't feel like a challenge when driving. I preferred the storyline of GTA IV as well, I really liked the crazy characters, like Niko and Roman. The shooting mechanics felt way better and of course, rag-doll haha. I also like the fact that you could eat from actual restaurants like Burgershot and eat from Hotdog vendors..

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

1. Barely anything? I laughed.
2. There wasn't so much love, but the story is absolutely awesome in IV, V is great, but it doesn't surpass IV's.
3. The arcadey kiddy sh*t driving sucks in GTA V. If people like this crap, I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

(CLAPS) Sir.... I salute you :).

Except on the (3), the only time the driving isn't terrible is when you're Franklin.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:24 AM

Story, atmosphere, likable characters, good voice acting, balanced cops > Killing people while wearing dresses, doing Yoga, Grove Street, and other assorted gimmicks...

GTA IV and the Episodes all the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users