Quantcast

» «
Photo

IV Is still the king! Anyone Else Agree?

235 replies to this topic
Franklin7
  • Franklin7

A big Franklin fan

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

NOOOO. I like iv and their online was sh*t . gta v online will sh*t on iv's online lol and gta v is more fun iv felt limited but iv is a good gta game 

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

GTAV ragdoll was 10x better than V. Shooting in V feels totally wrong. Was hoping Rockstar would take pages out of RDR and MP3 for this part of the game.... Guess not.

Vehicle physics and damage are also off.

GTA V Ragdoll physics were better than GTA V ragdoll physics? Da faq!? :dontgetit:

You say this without realising that GTA V and GTA IV never even used the Ragdoll physics engine, they instead used Euphoria to animate the NPC's and characters that inhabited the gameworld.

You do realise that he never mentioned IV in his post, right? The guy said, GTA V Ragdoll is better than GTA V's Ragdoll. That's just like dividing by zero! Damn! :p

Personally, GTA IV had a darker storyline which I preferred over V's, it has more depth and realistic, there is so much to tell, there are also way more storyline missions, which are pretty damn fun.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

After playing GTA V some more, I gotta definitely say no way to the topic title. GTA V is definitely a much better game. The only thing that IV does better is allow the player to enter fast food restaurants, but that is it. 

• TonyMontanaCDL likes this

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

After playing GTA V some more, I gotta definitely say no way to the topic title. GTA V is definitely a much better game. The only thing that IV does better is allow the player to enter fast food restaurants, but that is it. 

Yer ok  :lol:

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

For those that are moaning about GTA V's story because it involves you working for yourself and you don't get anything from that until the very late game I'd offer the rebuttal that you don't quite understand the definition of pursuit.  

The aim of the game is for the characters to pursue the cash that they're constantly being denied. Therefore it only makes sense that you're constantly being screwed over, double-crossed and generally unable to achieve the financial standing you need to be able to spend it on the game's many, many toys and upgrades. 

GTA V's narrative works so well because not only does it tell you a tale that couldn't be told in any other medium, be it film, TV or literature it simply can't be replicated in such a way and work so well without it being part of a videogame narrative. The story allows us to see every part of a complex, interesting narrative with characters that serve a vessel for the player to experience the game's massive and insane world. GTA V was never meant to be a gangster flick as Miami seems to think, yes there are fewer characters, fewer gangs and the like but that's because the game in general wants to remove itself from the idea of simply focusing on the underbelly of crime in Los Santos.

Instead I believe GTA V focuses on a much wide and more interesting narrative than IV's covering everything from materialism, celebrity obsession, millennials, the Tea Party, electronic surveillance, torture, xenophobia and police corruption to name only a few of the topics Rockstar addresses. This story could not have been told through the eyes of just a single character like Niko, and instead required a large amount of diverse, interesting and unique characters to set GTA V's tale in motion. Far from suffering from an identity crisis, I think that GTA V wishes to capture the modern day American reality, if GTA IV was a story about the American Dream then this certainly covers the reality of it. 

This inclusion of a larger array of playable characters allow the player to experience the gameworld in a way that would've been impossible to do with but a single character. If Niko Bellic in GTA IV is Gulliver, lost in worlds he comments on through his lack of understanding, that role is now assumed by the player, dragging them through a modern-day Babylon far past the point of collapse. But by abandoning as a proxy for the player affords certain narrative benefits, such as creating an immediacy to the game's events, that is all the more terrifying and effective.

The social commentary that GTA V displays shows that Rockstar know the tale their trying to tell, and if you're unable to grasp it either due to its complexity or because of the myriad of subjects it addresses simply went over your head then that is entirely your fault, not the games'. Overall GTA V in my opinion tells the most compelling, thrilling and engaging narrative in a GTA game to date, whilst still be able to focus on all kinds of individual subjects and cultures, making its tale, gameworld and protagonists far superior to GTA IV's.

V Had a rather Corny Storyline i fail to see how its Complex. Compare it to say L.A Noire then its a very simple Straight forward Storyline. 

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

So you don't have a problem with GTA V excluding drug runs, vigilante, import/export missions, most wanted etc General?

There are still things GTA IV does better. The whole story choices concept seems to be basically non-existent in GTA V except for the ending. It only occurs a couple of times other than that. Yeah it wasn't that great in GTA IV, but it could've been expanded upon not regressed.

I've said this before in the GTA V forum, but hanging out with friends in GTA V is so god damn pointless when there's nothing to gain from them like in GTA IV.

Anyway of course GTA V looks better and generally feels better too, but that should be a given since it's a newer game and wasn't testing the waters like GTA IV had to at the start of the generation.

I think it sucks that GTA IV always gets a lashing for not having features from the old games even though they were never designed for it. Most of the things from GTA IV not in GTA V don't even make sense because GTA V doesn't have the leniency GTA IV did being the first of its kind.

I mean why did they add a pool table in the bar you can play darts, but not add pool as an activity? Surely it wasn't hard to bring from GTA IV.

I do love GTA V though. I just started a new game, but as far as I'm concerned it's a lot different to when GTA IV came out as it (GTA IV) didn't have the advantages the newer games do now. GTA V has improved in areas and definitely regressed in others.

• Finite likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:07 AM Edited by AceKingston, 30 September 2013 - 05:10 AM.

For those that are moaning about GTA V's story because it involves you working for yourself and you don't get anything from that until the very late game I'd offer the rebuttal that you don't quite understand the definition of pursuit.  

The aim of the game is for the characters to pursue the cash that they're constantly being denied. Therefore it only makes sense that you're constantly being screwed over, double-crossed and generally unable to achieve the financial standing you need to be able to spend it on the game's many, many toys and upgrades. 

GTA V's narrative works so well because not only does it tell you a tale that couldn't be told in any other medium, be it film, TV or literature it simply can't be replicated in such a way and work so well without it being part of a videogame narrative. The story allows us to see every part of a complex, interesting narrative with characters that serve a vessel for the player to experience the game's massive and insane world. GTA V was never meant to be a gangster flick as Miami seems to think, yes there are fewer characters, fewer gangs and the like but that's because the game in general wants to remove itself from the idea of simply focusing on the underbelly of crime in Los Santos.

Instead I believe GTA V focuses on a much wide and more interesting narrative than IV's covering everything from materialism, celebrity obsession, millennials, the Tea Party, electronic surveillance, torture, xenophobia and police corruption to name only a few of the topics Rockstar addresses. This story could not have been told through the eyes of just a single character like Niko, and instead required a large amount of diverse, interesting and unique characters to set GTA V's tale in motion. Far from suffering from an identity crisis, I think that GTA V wishes to capture the modern day American reality, if GTA IV was a story about the American Dream then this certainly covers the reality of it. 

This inclusion of a larger array of playable characters allow the player to experience the gameworld in a way that would've been impossible to do with but a single character. If Niko Bellic in GTA IV is Gulliver, lost in worlds he comments on through his lack of understanding, that role is now assumed by the player, dragging them through a modern-day Babylon far past the point of collapse. But by abandoning as a proxy for the player affords certain narrative benefits, such as creating an immediacy to the game's events, that is all the more terrifying and effective.

The social commentary that GTA V displays shows that Rockstar know the tale their trying to tell, and if you're unable to grasp it either due to its complexity or because of the myriad of subjects it addresses simply went over your head then that is entirely your fault, not the games'. Overall GTA V in my opinion tells the most compelling, thrilling and engaging narrative in a GTA game to date, whilst still be able to focus on all kinds of individual subjects and cultures, making its tale, gameworld and protagonists far superior to GTA IV's.

V Had a rather Corny Storyline i fail to see how its Complex. Compare it to say L.A Noire then its a very simple Straight forward Storyline. 

I'm prepared to bet 1 million dollars that you did not even read a single word Lightning wrote.

Also, I love GTA IV, but I have the nasty feeling that you have not played GTA V at all.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

I'm prepared to bet 1 million dollars that you did not even read a single word Lightning wrote.

Also, I love GTA IV, but I have the nasty feeling that you have not played GTA V at all.

i read the whole thing and i Disagreed with what he saying and why would i comment on a game if i had not played it.  :blink:

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:38 AM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 30 September 2013 - 05:39 AM.

i read the whole thing  in detail i assure you and i Disagreed with what he was  saying its that simple and why would i comment on a game if i had not played it.  :blink: the Storyline was not that Complex at all and  it fell way short of matching niko bellic or John Marstons Stories IMO. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

i read the whole thing and i Disagreed with what he saying and why would i comment on a game if i had not played it.  :blink:

No offence mean't but I have the strong feeling for some reason, well I'll ask a cryptic question regarding V, considering you finished the game you should definitely know the answer. (Sorry for straying off-topic) and as always No googling the answer. I'm a master at googling and I'll find out anyways.

Is the Stock marketing feature present in Grand Theft Auto: V, If yes explain and give an example of one of the markets. 

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

No offence mean't but I have the strong feeling for some reason, well I'll ask a cryptic question regarding V, considering you finished the game you should definitely know the answer. (Sorry for straying off-topic) and as always No googling the answer. I'm a master at googling and I'll find out anyways.

Is the Stock marketing feature present in Grand Theft Auto: V, If yes explain and give an example of one of the markets. 

yes it is and i will give you a list of Companies i have Invested in if ya like

Bullhead

debonaire

dollarpills

Vanillaunicorn 

Worldwide Fm

Hijak 

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

yes it is and i will give you a list of Companies i have Invested in if ya like 

Liberty city Exchange Index

Bullhead

debonaire

dollarpills

Vanillaunicorn 

Worldwide Fm

Hijak 

bawsaq

Brute

GrainOfTruth

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

Not bad, sorry for straying off-topic again. Just wanted to clarify. :p

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

Where is my mind?

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:34 AM Edited by tikhung01, 30 September 2013 - 11:37 AM.

Agreed. GTA V is too "loud and dumb" to me.

Handling sucks ! It's worst than GTA SA, Really !

Car damage is for noobs.

I want characters like Roman, Jacob and Bernie :(

p/s: PC rocks!

201309050454522854e64c0eb.jpg

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

Where is my mind?

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

GTA IV was much more enjoyable than GTA III, VC and SA. I liked the story in IV much better, I've completed it 3 times.. I love the physics in GTA IV, with some modding, cars were realistic & fun.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R1ijj6ks33s

GTA V reminds me of GTA SA, which was less enjoyable, but who knows..

Yeah, totally agreed. And people call me "noob" for prefer GTA IV than GTA SA...

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hell no.

IV doesn't even compare to V IMO, but I enjoyed San Andreas more than IV.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:35 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 01 October 2013 - 03:54 AM.

So you don't have a problem with GTA V excluding drug runs, vigilante, import/export missions, most wanted etc General?

Nope, not in the slightest. Not only did GTA IV's vigilante missions not fit Niko's character or story, but they were also extremely underdeveloped compared to V's more structured bounties. The difference between the two being that in GTA V you had to subdue the guys you were hunting, and it really fit Trevor's wants and needs to hunt these guys down, starting up Meth labs and other criminal organisations in Blaine County would have only caused more trouble for him in the long run so it actually works within the context of the storyline.

As for the import/export missions, they weren't complex, nor were they enjoyable. They consisted of ten rather short and pointless small jobs that you did for Jacob which could result in you boosting his relationship up to the extent where he'd sell you cheaper weaponry, don't misunderstand me here MVC but other than boosting Jacob's view of Niko there's really no reason at all for him to be doing all these odd jobs around town for him. I mean it's much easier just to go out with Jacob for a bite to eat or something to drink, and really the overall reward really isn't worth the risk when you factor in the amount of times you'll actually play these side missions and use the one mediocre benefit that they can help you towards. 

Lastly, the Most Wanted thing really wasn't that good. I mean it was more of a chore than anything else, having to scan through the LCPD database dozens of times just to try and memorise the name of one guy that you'd go and hunt down for the sake of a trophy/achievement. This is one personal issue that I have with IV that V addresses perfectly. It's the lack of benefits/rewards for performing any of the few side activities scattered around Liberty City, not to mention how mundane and repetitive said activities are.

V handles this well even within its story, if you'll notice unlike GTA IV's Niko who's constantly complaining about needing cash despite the fact that by the midway point in the game he's already completely loaded (that's without mentioning that it never gets spent by anyone, even Niko's gambling addicted cousin) you don't recieve cash for every mission. In fact you lose it, a lot of it. The majority of your time in San Andreas will be spent trying to get money, money that you, the player wants, every bit as much as Michael, Trevor and Franklin, this is one of V's biggest strengths, aligning the goals, views and opinions of the player with those of the protagonists'.

Spoiler
Though in the end that's the whole point, it's meant to encourage the player to want more than they have, and spend what they do have recklessly and ostentatiously in a vain attempt to live the lifestyle of a big shot whilst living off of an decreasingly small budget. By giving the game expensive toys and tools that can both benefit the player and the characters that they play with, they really do cover materialism in a way that GTA IV never could. Not a fault on GTA IV's part seeing as it is game from Rockstar's first dip into the current generation of consoles, but comparatively there's really no way that you can claim that GTA V's lost half as many good features as its gained and put to good use.

• Neonic9 likes this

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Yeah i do but that will end the first sec V comes to PC

Beat this sh*tty consoles

What level are you on GTA V? :)

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

Car damage is for noobs.

I'd be willing to bet a fairly substantial portion of cash that you've never played GTA V in your life.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

Nope, not in the slightest. Not only did GTA IV's vigilante missions not fit Niko's character or story, but they were also extremely underdeveloped compared to V's more structured bounties. The difference between the two being that in GTA V you had to subdue the guys you were hunting, and it really fit Trevor's wants and needs to hunt these guys down, starting up Meth labs and other criminal organisations in Blaine County would have only caused more trouble for him in the long run so it actually works within the context of the storyline.

As for the import/export missions, they weren't complex, nor were they enjoyable. They consisted of ten rather short and pointless small jobs that you did for Jacob which could result in you boosting his relationship up to the extent where he'd sell you cheaper weaponry, don't misunderstand me here MVC but other than boosting Jacob's view of Niko there's really no reason at all for him to be doing all these odd jobs around town for him. I mean it's much easier just to go out with Jacob for a bite to eat or something to drink, and really the overall reward really isn't worth the risk when you factor in the amount of times you'll actually play these side missions and use the one mediocre benefit that they can help you towards. 

Lastly, the Most Wanted thing really wasn't that good. I mean it was more of a chore than anything else, having to scan through the LCPD database dozens of times just to try and memorise the name of one guy that you'd go and hunt down for the sake of a trophy/achievement. This is one personal issue that I have with IV that V addresses perfectly. It's the lack of benefits/rewards for performing any of the few side activities scattered around Liberty City, not to mention how mundane and repetitive said activities are.

V handles this well even within its story, if you'll notice unlike GTA IV's Niko who's constantly complaining about needing cash despite the fact that by the midway point in the game he's already completely loaded (that's without mentioning that it never gets spent by anyone, even Niko's gambling addicted cousin) you don't recieve cash for every mission. In fact you lose it, a lot of it. The majority of your time in San Andreas will be spent trying to get money, money that you, the player wants, every bit as much as Michael, Trevor and Franklin, this is one of V's biggest strengths, aligning the goals, views and opinions of the player with those of the protagonists'.

Spoiler
Though in the end that's the whole point, it's meant to encourage the player to want more than they have, and spend what they do have recklessly and ostentatiously in a vain attempt to live the lifestyle of a big shot whilst living off of an decreasingly small budget. By giving the game expensive toys and tools that can both benefit the player and the characters that they play with, they really do cover materialism in a way that GTA IV never could. Not a fault on GTA IV's part seeing as it is game from Rockstar's first dip into the current generation of consoles, but comparatively there's really no way that you can claim that GTA V's lost half as many good features as its gained and put to good use.

All fair points LS, but I do miss how the police computer was incorporated in the vigilante/mostwanted missions though. Also I think the lack of any sort of drug related side mission in GTA V is inexcusable. Trevor is a drug dealer yet can't do anything related to that. TPE deals with drugs and fire arms yet only one of those aspects are covered.

The closest thing we have are those weed stashes and some property management for Smoke On The Water. The way it was touted in trailers gave the impression Trevor would be balls deep in drug dealing, but he does sh*t all to do with it.

In regards to import/export missions yeah there may not have been many of them, but I thought they were fun. Every scenario was different and unique. I just think something that has played a big part since GTA III not being included is a bit disappointing.

I mean Franklin repossesses vehicles. Why couldn't he have done it on the side instead of it just being apart of the story? Take what was in GTA IV and make more of them in GTA V. It would be a great side mission and fit in perfectly.

I can't stress enough that I think GTA V is a great game, but it does have a glass half full, half empty kind of feeling. Almost like R*  had some ideas in place, but only went half way with some.

In the entire time I've played GTA IV it has never given a feeling like that. I don't necessarily feel as if GTA V is unfinished, but in regards to side missions I feel a few things seem to be a bit loose compared to GTA IV.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

Car damage is for noobs.

201309050454522854e64c0eb.jpg

'too loud and dumb' hate to say it but lol? What does that even mean ha ha.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I think gta 5 is overall a much better game than 4 but I liked Niko as the protagonist much more than

the three in 5

Doolz351
  • Doolz351

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

No way, GTA IV sucked!. niko was a whiney little bitch

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:41 AM Edited by Mr_Leone, 02 October 2013 - 04:41 AM.

No way, GTA IV sucked!. niko was a whiney little bitch

GTA V is a GIANT whine. One giant linear whine.

Spoiler

• Deadly Target likes this

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

just beat V Fun game but gotta be honest kinda Disappointed for
2 reasons i have waited 5 yrs and how Inferior It was to IV
Especially In terms of the storyline anyone else Agree? or
Disagree? share your opinions? :)

Totally agree. In V, the game's story and characters just do not have the pull that they had in IV.

But I do love how car handling is done in V, because in IV, some driving missions were simply torture due to the bit crap handling of vehicles, especially motorbikes.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

GTA V sh*ts on GTA IV on so, so many different levels.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
  • DwnShft2Xcelr8

Hove Beach Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

I think GTA IV had a better story, and I'd take either Niko Bellic or Luis Lopez over any of the 3 protagonists in GTA V.
I also loved GTA IV's driving much more than V's. I felt like GTA IV allowed me to corner like a race car driver, actually requiring skill while driving around Liberty City in GTA IV instead of just holding down the R2 button (on the PS3) and turning corners like every car is a Ferrari in GTA V.
Lastly, the NPCs in GTA IV were greater than those in GTA V. Brucie, Roman, Packie (
Spoiler
), the crazy g/fs, Little Jacob, etc., made the game worthwhile even after finishing the story. In GTA V, the only NPC I actually enjoy is Lamar, but it just feels like there aren't many activities to do with the dude.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Also, topic creators name says it all.

mysteryboyee
  • mysteryboyee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

personally, i liked iv, and im sure v is a great game as well (havent been able to try it out yet, have to wait until pc release (no, not because pc master race, well, yes im one of those people, but im not the kind that likes to say consoles suck ass, because they dont, consoles do what they were made to do, heck, i still sometimes prefer some games on console over pc)) only thing ive seen in videos of v that doesnt look that great, is vehicle damage, but i can deal with that, becuase from what ive seen in video's, everything else makes up for that, plus i doubt it would be that hard to mod the vehicle hardness back to iv, so as to easier visual damage, but honestly, it all comes down to opinion, if someone prefer's iv over v, then thats how they feel about it, everyone is entitled to there own opinion

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

Lastly, the NPCs in GTA IV were greater than those in GTA V.

Oh how I agree. I'm pretty sure the most productive I've seen a ped do in GTA V is use a leaf blower up in Vinewood Hills. For whatever reason they seem to stand around doing nothing much more than the peds in GTA IV.

Also it's only a minor thing, but I loved to shove/push peds around in GTA IV. Walking into a ped in GTA V is like walking into a brickwall. It's exactly the same as the GTA III era.

It feels stupid IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users