Quantcast

» «
Photo

IV Is still the king! Anyone Else Agree?

235 replies to this topic
human_nature42
  • human_nature42

Who'z To Know?

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Nah..I think 5 is much better. I think we still have to get used of 5 being different remember peeps it's only been out for a week give it a couple months and warm up to it.

brOkeRxBoYxLC
  • brOkeRxBoYxLC

Mr. Liberty

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

in my opinion, IV will always be king for a couple of reasons.

number 1. Size does not matter. just because V had a f*ckin huge map, doesnt mean it is better. Why? because it is overwhelming. IV was a great size because you can appreciate the mass detail and realism the city gave off. Try getting around V without a gps or map? its difficult. In IV you were eventually able to get around easily. and idk bout u guys but i knew all the street names so it was even cooler.

number 2. the lengthy missions. IV had a sh*t ton of missions and each one was exciting. im not saying V was boring by any means, but i feel like when you played in liberty city, you werent just someone who walked around the streets, you lived there. It wasnt just a city that had no life to it, it was alive.

and number 3. the real life comparison with LC and NY was impeccable. i mean there were things missing that bugged me, but over all if any of u went to NYC you would feel like u were in LC. its amazing how in depth R* was when they re created LC. 

also, the euphorics of the game top any gta by a long shot. the driving is almost exact to real life, and the euphorics of the characters (falling etc.) were great.

Overall, gta IV was in my opinion, the greatest GTA ever made.

Although i do have some negatives to say about it. 

The lack of customization (cars, haircuts, clothes)

lack of ways to make money (safehouse purchasing)

lack of extra-curricular activities

lack of key parts of the NY metro area (staten island)

If GTA IV included all of the above AND what is in V, GTA IV would be in fact the greatest game to ever be created. end of story. with a little graphics update it would blow any game away.

• lol232 likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Only thing missing in IV was a big ass countryside for off-road fun. Would have been perfect with the game's vehicle handling.

• lol232 likes this

VivaSonny
  • VivaSonny

San Andreas utopian

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

beats V in one thing - classic controls. and that makes it better in a whole lot of other things, since you can't seem to do anything right with these controls

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

number 1. Size does not matter. just because V had a f*ckin huge map, doesnt mean it is better. Why? because it is overwhelming. IV was a great size because you can appreciate the mass detail and realism the city gave off. Try getting around V without a gps or map? its difficult. In IV you were eventually able to get around easily. and idk bout u guys but i knew all the street names so it was even cooler.

number 2. the lengthy missions. IV had a sh*t ton of missions and each one was exciting. im not saying V was boring by any means, but i feel like when you played in liberty city, you werent just someone who walked around the streets, you lived there. It wasnt just a city that had no life to it, it was alive.

and number 3. the real life comparison with LC and NY was impeccable. i mean there were things missing that bugged me, but over all if any of u went to NYC you would feel like u were in LC. its amazing how in depth R* was when they re created LC. 

also, the euphorics of the game top any gta by a long shot. the driving is almost exact to real life, and the euphorics of the characters (falling etc.) were great.

If GTA IV included all of the above AND what is in V, GTA IV would be in fact the greatest game to ever be created. end of story. with a little graphics update it would blow any game away.

I think we can agree that GTA IV and GTA V are much better games than SA though. :p

• lol232 likes this

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:12 AM Edited by ASIAN LAWYER, 26 September 2013 - 08:17 AM.

IV was a depressing mess of stiff shooting mechanics, an over-angsty, pessimistic protagonist living in a grey colour schemed world of vapidity and inconsistent, contextual juxtaposition.

Spoiler

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

The complaints people make about IV are hilarious. No haircuts? No tattoo's? WHY WOULD NIKO GET A TATTOO!? This was a crime drama, not whatever the hell SA was. Niko with a giant beard or mohawk would be borderline retarded. They gave us clothes that fit the city, unlike V, which is full of jackets and hoodies for some weird reason,

• Fidelio likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

I think a lot if not all the player customisations in GTA V are justified though. Nothing seems really ridiculous to me like in SA and all fit each protagonist.

Still I was happy with what was in GTA in terms if player customisation. Niko didn't need haircuts and tattoos IMO.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Only thing missing in IV was a big ass countryside for off-road fun. Would have been perfect with the game's vehicle handling.

I totally agree. This is the only thing I actually felt was missing. Those little areas that IV has for offroading are still fun.

lazedout
  • lazedout

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

GTAV ragdoll was 10x better than V. Shooting in V feels totally wrong. Was hoping Rockstar would take pages out of RDR and MP3 for this part of the game.... Guess not.

Vehicle physics and damage are also off.

Lethita
  • Lethita

Something Slayer...

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:38 AM Edited by Lethita, 27 September 2013 - 06:39 AM.

IV was a fairly interesting and down to earth title, most of the interactions between characters felt real and human in nature which allowed me to sympathize with the main protagonist with greater ease without it feeling artificial.

V has very little redeeming qualities when it comes to story, no offense to those who love it, but I found it hard to genuinely feel bad for each individual character when everything in that story felt so contrived that it bordered on the ludicrous; in fact, it felt like one gigantic parody.

Everyone is screaming at Micheal and calling him a lunatic, yet there's nothing to reinforce this overarching theme unless you actually play GTA like a f*ck-tick who goes on rampages and kills everyone they see.

(Which is actually more common then I'd expected.)

TL;DR: My personal opinion: IV for the emotional, realistic story, V for the game-play, action, and etc.

M0nsterSkillz
  • M0nsterSkillz

Gaming since 92

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

To be honest i think V storlyline is much better than VI for one reason that there are 3 different characters with different backgrounds. I like how it all comes together & how different they are, especially Trevor lol. 

But i do think VI is still very good, i guess i'll just have to wait til oct 1st when multiplayer is launched then i could make a full decision regarding the online & whatnot.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

To be honest i think V storlyline is much better than VI for one reason that there are 3 different characters with different backgrounds. I like how it all comes together & how different they are, especially Trevor lol. 

But i do think VI is still very good, i guess i'll just have to wait til oct 1st when multiplayer is launched then i could make a full decision regarding the online & whatnot.

You've played GTA 6 already? :pp

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

V is easily the best GTA ever created. You're bat sh*t crazy.

TitsMcghehey
  • TitsMcghehey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

IV was borderline depressing to play. The game was muddy, too dark and often times even ugly, the gameplay was sluggish, slow and even getting around was a pain (most people exclusively used taxis to get to missions). Speaking of missions, IV had some absolutely awful, boring and uninspired mission design.

Everything felt unpolished, the walking, the shooting, the driving. New things like social interactions weren't done well and became an incredible annoyance for many. It's the kind of game that gets released to test the waters of next-gen.

The story was a convoluted mess which took itself too seriously, so seriously in fact that it forget that it was a GTA game. All Characters, except Niko, were unlikeable, forgettable or obnoxious, not to mention stereotypical. Eastern-European chauvinists, slimy Italian mobsters, Puertorican cholos, loud and overconfident steroid abusers and a Jamaican guy who dresses in green, smokes pot all day and speaks in a thick Jamaican accent. In some ways, many Characters in IV resemble the ones in GTA III and here is where Rockstar dropped the ball. You can't have a story that is supposed to be serious and mature and throw in all these stereotypical, caricatures of Characters. Even the Cast of III was better than IV's. Salvatore and 8-Ball alone were deeper Characters than anyone in IV.

I think it speaks volumes for the original GTA IV when the expansions are actually better than the main game itself. Most people I know remember GTA IV more for its multiplayer than anything else.

I see absolutely no redeeming qualities about IV. People defending it in this thread were probably teenagers when the game was released and now hold some nostalgic feelings for it.

I'll take V or any title in the classic trilogy over IV any day. Hell, I'd even take the "stories" games or Chinatown wars over IV.

• TonyMontanaCDL likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

I see absolutely no redeeming qualities about IV. People defending it in this thread were probably teenagers when the game was released and now hold some nostalgic feelings for it.

I was 22 when GTA IV released so you may want to think next time you generalise.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

No sir im not i just have an opinion that Differs From yours.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

IV was borderline depressing to play. The game was muddy, too dark and often times even ugly, the gameplay was sluggish, slow and even getting around was a pain (most people exclusively used taxis to get to missions). Speaking of missions, IV had some absolutely awful, boring and uninspired mission design.

Everything felt unpolished, the walking, the shooting, the driving. New things like social interactions weren't done well and became an incredible annoyance for many. It's the kind of game that gets released to test the waters of next-gen.

The story was a convoluted mess which took itself too seriously, so seriously in fact that it forget that it was a GTA game. All Characters, except Niko, were unlikeable, forgettable or obnoxious, not to mention stereotypical. Eastern-European chauvinists, slimy Italian mobsters, Puertorican cholos, loud and overconfident steroid abusers and a Jamaican guy who dresses in green, smokes pot all day and speaks in a thick Jamaican accent. In some ways, many Characters in IV resemble the ones in GTA III and here is where Rockstar dropped the ball. You can't have a story that is supposed to be serious and mature and throw in all these stereotypical, caricatures of Characters. Even the Cast of III was better than IV's. Salvatore and 8-Ball alone were deeper Characters than anyone in IV.

I think it speaks volumes for the original GTA IV when the expansions are actually better than the main game itself. Most people I know remember GTA IV more for its multiplayer than anything else.

I'll take V or any title in the classic trilogy over IV any day. Hell, I'd even take the "stories" games or Chinatown wars over IV.

no Redeeming Features the Fantastic story for one i mean the Storyline a mess? try playing San Andreas! Iv was very well Written. the Characters were Brilliant/Memorable Dimtri was fantastic by far the best Antagonist Rockstar Have Created  niko is quite simply the best Gta Character of all time IMO and Lastly  the Beautiful Liberty city i still get chills when going over the Algonquin Bridge At night Its quite simply Beautiful.  

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

No sir im not i just have an opinion that Differs From yours.

I would've just ignore him. It seems a lot of people on here have a hard time accepting it when others are open about liking GTA IV. It hasn't changed since 2008.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:08 AM

Well I guess someone loves IV still. Considering the storyline, the multi-faceted roles of the characters and the depth and scale of the location, IV remains a beast as it was back 5 years ago.

78 lil red express
  • 78 lil red express

the fastest thing you could buy in 1978

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

GTA IV on PC is the best imho I have played them all. I will be playing GTA IV for years. :happy:

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

IV is my favorite GTA, my own personal favorite. 

But it's not the best GTA they've made at all.

Though it is my favorite, it is an absolutely f*cking tiny game compared to San Andreas and GTA V in both size and scope and simply put no matter how much I like IV as my favorite, it is not the best GTA in any category. None. 

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:45 AM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 28 September 2013 - 08:47 AM.

Though it is my favorite, it is an absolutely f*cking tiny game compared to San Andreas and GTA V in both size and scope and simply put no matter how much I like IV as my favorite, it is not the best GTA in any category. None. 

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

@Brian Storyline?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

This makes no sense at all. Why is it your favourite if you don't believe it excels in any category?

GTA IV is my favourite because I think it has the best story in the series and no one beats Niko as far as I'm concerned.

I'd even argue it's still the most life like environment. Peds in GTA V are a bit unrealistic when they call the cops just for standing next to them.

Coolyfett
  • Coolyfett

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

just beat V Fun game but gotta be honest kinda Disappointed for
2 reasons i have waited 5 yrs and how Inferior It was to IV
Especially In terms of the storyline anyone else Agree? or
Disagree? share your opinions? :)

I have not Play GTA V yet, but Im glad to hear some people dont see GTA5 as massively superior to GTA 4, especially GTA 4 UE.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

For those that are moaning about GTA V's story because it involves you working for yourself and you don't get anything from that until the very late game I'd offer the rebuttal that you don't quite understand the definition of pursuit.  

The aim of the game is for the characters to pursue the cash that they're constantly being denied. Therefore it only makes sense that you're constantly being screwed over, double-crossed and generally unable to achieve the financial standing you need to be able to spend it on the game's many, many toys and upgrades. 

GTA V's narrative works so well because not only does it tell you a tale that couldn't be told in any other medium, be it film, TV or literature it simply can't be replicated in such a way and work so well without it being part of a videogame narrative. The story allows us to see every part of a complex, interesting narrative with characters that serve a vessel for the player to experience the game's massive and insane world. GTA V was never meant to be a gangster flick as Miami seems to think, yes there are fewer characters, fewer gangs and the like but that's because the game in general wants to remove itself from the idea of simply focusing on the underbelly of crime in Los Santos.

Instead I believe GTA V focuses on a much wide and more interesting narrative than IV's covering everything from materialism, celebrity obsession, millennials, the Tea Party, electronic surveillance, torture, xenophobia and police corruption to name only a few of the topics Rockstar addresses. This story could not have been told through the eyes of just a single character like Niko, and instead required a large amount of diverse, interesting and unique characters to set GTA V's tale in motion. Far from suffering from an identity crisis, I think that GTA V wishes to capture the modern day American reality, if GTA IV was a story about the American Dream then this certainly covers the reality of it. 

This inclusion of a larger array of playable characters allow the player to experience the gameworld in a way that would've been impossible to do with but a single character. If Niko Bellic in GTA IV is Gulliver, lost in worlds he comments on through his lack of understanding, that role is now assumed by the player, dragging them through a modern-day Babylon far past the point of collapse. But by abandoning as a proxy for the player affords certain narrative benefits, such as creating an immediacy to the game's events, that is all the more terrifying and effective.

The social commentary that GTA V displays shows that Rockstar know the tale their trying to tell, and if you're unable to grasp it either due to its complexity or because of the myriad of subjects it addresses simply went over your head then that is entirely your fault, not the games'. Overall GTA V in my opinion tells the most compelling, thrilling and engaging narrative in a GTA game to date, whilst still be able to focus on all kinds of individual subjects and cultures, making its tale, gameworld and protagonists far superior to GTA IV's.

• Ermac and Neonic9 like this

Postal Dude
  • Postal Dude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

GTAV ragdoll was 10x better than V. Shooting in V feels totally wrong. Was hoping Rockstar would take pages out of RDR and MP3 for this part of the game.... Guess not.

GTA V Ragdoll physics were better than GTA V ragdoll physics? Da faq!? :dontgetit:

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

GTA V Ragdoll physics were better than GTA V ragdoll physics? Da faq!? :dontgetit:

You say this without realising that GTA V and GTA IV never even used the Ragdoll physics engine, they instead used Euphoria to animate the NPC's and characters that inhabited the gameworld.

Fidelio
  • Fidelio

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

For those that are moaning about GTA V's story because it involves you working for yourself and you don't get anything from that until the very late game I'd offer the rebuttal that you don't quite understand the definition of pursuit.  

The aim of the game is for the characters to pursue the cash that they're constantly being denied. Therefore it only makes sense that you're constantly being screwed over, double-crossed and generally unable to achieve the financial standing you need to be able to spend it on the game's many, many toys and upgrades. 

GTA V's narrative works so well because not only does it tell you a tale that couldn't be told in any other medium, be it film, TV or literature it simply can't be replicated in such a way and work so well without it being part of a videogame narrative. The story allows us to see every part of a complex, interesting narrative with characters that serve a vessel for the player to experience the game's massive and insane world. GTA V was never meant to be a gangster flick as Miami seems to think, yes there are fewer characters, fewer gangs and the like but that's because the game in general wants to remove itself from the idea of simply focusing on the underbelly of crime in Los Santos.

Instead I believe GTA V focuses on a much wide and more interesting narrative than IV's covering everything from materialism, celebrity obsession, millennials, the Tea Party, electronic surveillance, torture, xenophobia and police corruption to name only a few of the topics Rockstar addresses. This story could not have been told through the eyes of just a single character like Niko, and instead required a large amount of diverse, interesting and unique characters to set GTA V's tale in motion. Far from suffering from an identity crisis, I think that GTA V wishes to capture the modern day American reality, if GTA IV was a story about the American Dream then this certainly covers the reality of it. 

This inclusion of a larger array of playable characters allow the player to experience the gameworld in a way that would've been impossible to do with but a single character. If Niko Bellic in GTA IV is Gulliver, lost in worlds he comments on through his lack of understanding, that role is now assumed by the player, dragging them through a modern-day Babylon far past the point of collapse. But by abandoning as a proxy for the player affords certain narrative benefits, such as creating an immediacy to the game's events, that is all the more terrifying and effective.

The social commentary that GTA V displays shows that Rockstar know the tale their trying to tell, and if you're unable to grasp it either due to its complexity or because of the myriad of subjects it addresses simply went over your head then that is entirely your fault, not the games'. Overall GTA V in my opinion tells the most compelling, thrilling and engaging narrative in a GTA game to date, whilst still be able to focus on all kinds of individual subjects and cultures, making its tale, gameworld and protagonists far superior to GTA IV's.

thank you, your one of the few people that seems to understand Adam Sesslers review of the game. I personally love all of the GTA's for different reasons, and GTA IV hold's a special place in my memories. GTA V however improved upon all of the aspects holding GTA IV down, it improved upon the positives already there while incorporating game mechanics from past GTA's like San Andreas, and other Rockstar games like Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noir, and Midnight Club LA. Together I think, Rockstar has created an example of a near perfect gaming experience with GTA V. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users