Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why isn't "X" gas, and Square for brake?

68 replies to this topic
VALDE85
  • VALDE85

CLASSIC CONTROLS BACK

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

SOME PEPLE IS ABSOLUTELY STUPID IN GRANTURISMO 5 YOU CAN GO MANAGING THROTTLE AND BRAKE WHITHOUT THE TRIGGERS WITH EX AND SQUARE WHAT THE f*ck IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT IT NEVER WAS LIKE THIS AND NOW IT TURNS TO BE THE BEST FORGET ABOUT IT IN DRIVING GAMES YOU HAVE TO CHANGE GEARS WITH TRIGGERS f*ckING ASSHOLES ITS AN AUTOMATIC IN GTA IN ANY OTHER DRIVING YOU COULDNT DRIVE LIKE THAT WITH TRIGGERS SOME PEOPLE JUST PLAY AND DONT HAVE ANY f*ckING IDEA OF WHAT A CAR IS f*ck THAT

Eddyboy90
  • Eddyboy90

His Name Was Death And Hell Followed With Him

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:09 PM Edited by Eddyboy90, 19 September 2013 - 07:11 PM.

i argee with op was fuming when i seen i couldnt change back to classic, driving about hitting the square button thinking its to brake and smashing into things lol or in a gun fight and hitting the f*ck out the circle button thinking its to shoot lol its very strange they havnt made an option to go back to classic its like fifa 13 changing the options where u cant use classic settings altho im getting used to the new controllers it will take time to get used to this

ruud.
  • ruud.

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

San Andreas was 9 years ago.

Have you been in Jumanji?

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:59 PM Edited by SpidersWeb, 19 September 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Once you guys adjust to triggers, you'll find it a lot better in the long run.

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

SOME PEPLE IS ABSOLUTELY STUPID IN GRANTURISMO 5 YOU CAN GO MANAGING THROTTLE AND BRAKE WHITHOUT THE TRIGGERS WITH EX AND SQUARE WHAT THE f*ck IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT IT NEVER WAS LIKE THIS AND NOW IT TURNS TO BE THE BEST FORGET ABOUT IT IN DRIVING GAMES YOU HAVE TO CHANGE GEARS WITH TRIGGERS f*ckING ASSHOLES ITS AN AUTOMATIC IN GTA IN ANY OTHER DRIVING YOU COULDNT DRIVE LIKE THAT WITH TRIGGERS SOME PEOPLE JUST PLAY AND DONT HAVE ANY f*ckING IDEA OF WHAT A CAR IS f*ck THAT

Your er...caps lock button seems to be stuck there, might wanna...yaknow..turn it off.

goathead
  • goathead

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:39 PM Edited by goathead, 19 September 2013 - 08:40 PM.

To the guy that said x is pressure sensitive...

that is correct.

Also, if you're a hardcore racing gamer..

surely you'd be using manual gears.

ps3...gear up R1

gear down L1

Now, try combining accelerate and brake using R2 and L2...

yep, pretty tricky

I'm an old school x and square...

however, ive gotten used to trigger controls over the past week

s*it...i'm even enjoying using them

• namor likes this

Flotsam
  • Flotsam

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, "acceleration is analog" is no reason not to use the traditional layout-the buttons on the PS have been analog since the DualShock 2 was introduced in the year 2000 (the L2 and R2 buttons were also analog on the PS2's DualShock 2, despite not being trigger-style buttons like they are on the PS3's Sixaxis/Dualshock 3).  Former GTA games and other racing games use the analog buttons just fine, you press gently to accelerate slowly and press harder to accelerate quickly.

They probably changed it to have uniform controls across platforms.

• GeoffreyG likes this

GeoffreyG
  • GeoffreyG

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:44 PM Edited by GeoffreyG, 19 September 2013 - 09:48 PM.

INFIDEL74   A M E N  FOR THAT. ANYWAY A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE FOOLS ABOUT NEW CONTROLS THEY JUST TRY TO COPY REAL LIFE AND THAT´S NOT THE POINT AN IT NEVER WAS IN PREVIOUS GTAS THANKS FOR THAT

I hate to sound like a jerk, but dude: press the key to the left of the "A" key until the light between Num Lock and Scroll Lock is off, and then type. It really is a pain to try and read your post.

Edit: I noticed after posting that somebody else already pointed this out.

Spoiler

• ten-a-penny likes this

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, X over R2 all the way. R2 is good for maintaining speed, but i feel like i can't achieve max speed properly. GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, LaD, BoGT had it on PS2/PS3. Why remove it now?

FATSTOGIE
  • FATSTOGIE

Prankster

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

I hate the "x" to drive controls your either 0% throttle or 100% I would prefer to be able to use the right stick as throttle and brakes.

Actually it wasnt before.  On ps2 dualshock 2 controllers had ALL buttons pressure sensative.  x and square were pressure sensative.  Ps3 screwed that up.  But evne still the throttle response is a joke anyway.  So there isnt much difference.

Fallout3
  • Fallout3

Cereal Killer

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:11 PM Edited by Fallout3, 19 September 2013 - 10:11 PM.

I agree with the OP and I don't see why some people are against this seeing as it will be optional. They might as well include it for the people who want it. People who still like using the triggers can continue using it. I'm one of the people who doesn't care about controlling my speed and usually just fully press onto the triggers anyway, so pressing X will make no difference for me.

• B Dawg and namor like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Good racing games need triggers to make easier using partial inputs. In this game it wouldn´t make a difference, you always mash them anyway.

infidel74
  • infidel74

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

Not at home so can't check but I'm pretty sure you can change the control layout on the settings.
On saying that, that is fairly obvious and maybe there isn't an option to have x/green as accelerate.

It would be stupid if R* didn't allow you to change back to the classic configuration. There's no reason why it wouldn't work.

Actually, there is one thing my control preference will make very difficult, aiming while driving.

This is the exact problem we had in IV using the controller and why I prefer PC's mouse/kb setup to any controller config. Straight up racing games are best with controllers, racing while shooting, gimmie mouse/kb.

Anyway, apparently the decision to omit classic controls is due to the inability to aim using the right stick when you thumb is already being used for the gas(X). I understand it, but I'd still like the option considering I feel 1% of the game will require me to shoot and drive...the rest is optional. Very few missions in IV required drive/shoot, it was usually chase until they wreck, then shoot on foot. "target vehicle destroyed, mission failed".

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

People actually like using X for gas and Square for braking? Good god, no wonder some of you couldn't drive in IV. Using those controls were just crap. I've always used L2 and R2 for driving.

EzOne4Me
  • EzOne4Me

V > ALL

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

I personally like it. Yea I was using X and square in IV and this is my first time but I'm beginning to understand why it doesn't give us that option to change to that classic way. It's hard for me explain, maybe some of you guys will eventually know why.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

I hate the "x" to drive controls your either 0% throttle or 100% I would prefer to be able to use the right stick as throttle and brakes.

That's not true. PS2 buttons were pressure sensitive analog. 

Hitchens
  • Hitchens

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

I prefer ps3 shoulders. :) 2cents

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

MDE.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

I honestly don't see why the PS version couldn't use the right analog stick for accelerate and brake/reverse. GT allowed you; Driver did; NFS did.

It would make sense if Rockstar did the same, considering they wanted it to be realistic. I'm aware that the shoulder buttons are analog, but the analog sticks provide more option because they have a larger path, going from up to down, or down to up. And it's not easy to control the pressure used on L2 and R2 with new controllers because they have a tendency to just be pressed or unpressed. Trust me, that has had me frustrated before, trying to do it with 'X'.

Regardless, is it really too late for Rockstar to add in an option?

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

I personally like it. Yea I was using X and square in IV and this is my first time but I'm beginning to understand why it doesn't give us that option to change to that classic way. It's hard for me explain, maybe some of you guys will eventually know why.

I hated the driving in IV, it was completely uncontrollable, until...I discovered that it was possible to change the controller configuration to "Classic" in the options menu. After that, the driving and vehicle control was perfect, I could pull off driving moves I wasn't able to before.

I really despise the fact that the "Classic" set up has been omitted from the controller options in V. Some people prefer the triggers, I understand, power to all of you, but what I don't understand is the attitude of some of these people castigating those for preferring to use the A, X or X and square buttons with their peurile comments.

GrndZero
  • GrndZero

Old enough to be your dad.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

When I first read this post I thought the OP was crazy. I picked up on using GTAV controls right away, I guess cause it just feels natural to me. Last game I was playing on the xbox was Forza Horizon and they use triggers also so I guess I was just used to it. I hadn't even noticed it was different until I saw this post, lol.

Get_Head_Ed
  • Get_Head_Ed

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Xbox triggers dig into your joints...the ps controller has them curved to fit your fingers

I can't even... the stupidity is strong in this one.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

When I first read this post I thought the OP was crazy. I picked up on using GTAV controls right away, I guess cause it just feels natural to me. Last game I was playing on the xbox was Forza Horizon and they use triggers also so I guess I was just used to it. I hadn't even noticed it was different until I saw this post, lol.

Forza: Horizon also has the option for you to assign the accelerator and brakes to the A and X buttons (X and square on the PS3). I was constantly crashing into obstacles trying to steer and brake at the same time before I realised the game had this in the options menu. R* should reinstate that option in the controller menu.

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

MDE.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Most games allow you to configure the controller to your own needs. Why the f*ck doesn't a popular game like GTA V have it?

• namor likes this

GTAVKing2013
  • GTAVKing2013

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

I thought that was the standard for the ps2. In gta IV I used R2 and have in every other game for the ps3.

I used to play NASCAR on the PS2, and I used R2 for accelerate too. LOL. I NEVER used X for gas and square for brake.. LOL.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:06 AM Edited by im_stoned, 29 December 2013 - 09:09 AM.

I'll never understand why you would want X and Square to be the accelerator and break.

When I turned on my 360 for the first time and first started playing IV I got '' high'' on the driving. I loved it so much. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It feels like you're really driving the car because the LT/RT feels just like the pedals in real life cars. 

People hated and cried about it but I loved gta IV driving I spent hours just driving around because I found it fun. Sure V's driving is dumbed down but it kinda had to be to suit the game. Being able to flip you're car back over when it lands on its roof is a godsend when you're out of reach of other vehicles to steal

The driving is great why you mad ?

• DutchGangsta likes this

stangone50
  • stangone50

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:33 PM Edited by stangone50, 29 December 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Because R* has decieded it is no longer about the fans . It is now about the money . 

Also this is a matter of personal preference . Its about how YOU feel comfortable . Everyone has different hands . 

There is no need to argue which is better because like I said everyone has different hands and what is comfortable to some may not be to others . 

CrazyRay
  • CrazyRay

8" Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

I used to play NASCAR on the PS2, and I used R2 for accelerate too. LOL. I NEVER used X for gas and square for brake.. LOL.

So you bumped a thread that was dead for 3 months to write a response with 2 "LOL"s in it...

EttoreEnzo
  • EttoreEnzo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Because it's not 1995?

GTAVKing2013
  • GTAVKing2013

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

So you bumped a thread that was dead for 3 months to write a response with 2 "LOL"s in it...

Well, when i was looking back at the forums, i saw this topic, and i was like "Why the heck would gas and brake be X and square?!"

HKM87
  • HKM87

Your Overseas Friend

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:18 AM Edited by HKM87, 11 March 2014 - 06:20 AM.

Classic Configuration is inaccurate. GTAV is the first GTA I played on PS3, using the R2 & L2 to accelerate and brake is more realistic and close to the real car pedals (because they are press sensitive buttons in the game settings). Hence, press it gently for slow crusing and push it all the way to boost. Way better than the keyboard. That's how I feel about it according to my experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users