Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why isn't "X" gas, and Square for brake?

68 replies to this topic
infidel74
  • infidel74

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Isn't that the "standard" control configuration for every GTA made? Isn't that the standard for the game that the controller we're using(PS) was invented for? Remember Gran Turismo anyone?

Gas is always X and brake is always Square...why can I not use this setup? Where is the classic configuration?

Why do cars you smash into feel like they are weighted down with 10 tons of sand? I stole a city bus and got stalled out after smashing into just 2 vehicles rather than careening through them like any other GTA game before this. You used to be able to bowl down a dozen people in 4, now you come to a stop after just a few people getting caught up in your undercarriage.

Why does my car explode so easily after flying off an overpass? I rolled off the upper street at the airport onto the lower section(a whole 10 foot drop)...the car exploded.

I wasnted to like this game so badly, but my initial impression after 3.5 hours of play is that it has been castrated from what made the previous GTA's awesome. Sure they added all the missing stuff we didn't get in 4 but did in VC and SA...a natural progression, but they destroyed the gameplay in the process.

The game world itself is fantastic and feels/looks very realistic with the layout, that much I like. But the driving feel, and the utter lack of attention to the previous control configs is already taking its toll on me. I simply cannot confortably drive using the shoulder buttons, it's silly.

Bring bacjk the classic control scheme or just simply include the time tested and proven X for gas, Square for brake for christs sake!

Nfurtado77
  • Nfurtado77

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

I hate the "x" to drive controls your either 0% throttle or 100% I would prefer to be able to use the right stick as throttle and brakes.
  • lol232, I<3GTAV, ten-a-penny and 4 others like this

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Because there is more to driving than full throttle and full brake.

It's one of the reasons I prefer the Xbox, the smooth analog triggers.

Making the transition takes time, but gives you better control once you're used to it.

Redbird95
  • Redbird95

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

I thought that was the standard for the ps2. In gta IV I used R2 and have in every other game for the ps3.
  • SuburbansWorst likes this

GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

Xbox triggers dig into your joints...the ps controller has them curved to fit your fingers

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

Xbox triggers dig into your joints...the ps controller has them curved to fit your fingers

Interesting, I haven't had any pain/discomfort in my fingers even after hours of Forza.

Usually what stuffs me up is I sit in front of the TV and my foot goes numb lol

infidel74
  • infidel74

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:44 AM Edited by infidel74, 19 September 2013 - 05:45 AM.

I thought that was the standard for the ps2. In gta IV I used R2 and have in every other game for the ps3.

It might be. I'm a PC, but we just bought IV for PS3 a couple weeks ago to learn the console controls in anticipation for V. My friend and I both have had IV on PC since it first came out and played it multilpe times.

Replaying it with the controller was already awkward, but it did at least offer the control scheme we expected. Rockstar simply ommited what I need to transition properly. My fingers are actually getting sore from the odd placement.

I never worried about the digitial throttle and loved the physics of IV, except the bikes, they sucked. Of course I was full gas!!! That's how you drive when you're playing an insane character. The cars weren't really fast enough to justify needing to regulate your throttle anyway.

Regardless, they should have allowed us the option for digital throttle since they seemed to agree it was wanted in IV. I can forgive and get used to the other complaints as we progress, but I can't do this with a crippled right hand from palying gymnastics with the controller.

Back in the day I called this "Nintendo Thumb"...it didn't matter which actual finger was sore :)

the_samich
  • the_samich

Thug

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Why no X for gas you ask?

Because this ain't Super Nintendo.
  • DaveDang likes this

infidel74
  • infidel74

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

Why no X for gas you ask?

Because this ain't Super Nintendo.

GTA IV was on Super Nintendo? I didn't know that...though I'm pretty sure(that means positive) analog controllers existed long before GTA IV.

Your attempted analogy that digital throttle is ancient, fails. The last game had it as an option, I'm not asking for everyone to be forced into it.

the nameless
  • the nameless

R*

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

Driving games have been like that for about 5 years now, because - as people have mentioned - it lets you have control over the amount of gas/brake you give it.  The last game I can remember to have X and square as default was Gran Tourismo 5, and that was because it had been put back for years, and when it was finaly released, the controls were out of date.

TyphoonJames
  • TyphoonJames

King Cobra

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hey, 2001 called, they want their configuration back.

Throttle and brake response and it feels right IMO.

Mk4013
  • Mk4013

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

Is it possible to change to the classic controls?
I prefer them way better.

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

MDE.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

Are you guys saying that accelerate and brake/reverse is now done using the right analog stick?

Hordriss
  • Hordriss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

No, the trigger buttons.  Gas is RT on 360 and R2 on PS3.  Brake is LT/L2.

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

MDE.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:12 AM Edited by Dylricho, 19 September 2013 - 08:12 AM.

Da fuk?  :blink:  How does that make any sense?

I'd imagine it to be with the right analog stick on the PS controller, since it's analog and you can control the amount of pressure you want to apply, just like with foot pedals. This is how Gran Turismo, Driver and Need for Speed are done.

I'm hoping you can change this.

infidel74
  • infidel74

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Driving games have been like that for about 5 years now, because - as people have mentioned - it lets you have control over the amount of gas/brake you give it.  The last game I can remember to have X and square as default was Gran Tourismo 5, and that was because it had been put back for years, and when it was finaly released, the controls were out of date.

Right, I understand the concept of digital versus analog, that should have been clear. GTA isn't a driving simulator, it doesn't need analog throttle.

All I'm asking, and apparently many others, is to have the classic control scheme back as an OPTION...as in YOU don't have to select it.

• Fallout3 likes this

Ethereal_NYC
  • Ethereal_NYC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:33 AM Edited by Ethereal_NYC, 19 September 2013 - 08:34 AM.

Why do cars you smash into feel like they are weighted down with 10 tons of sand? I stole a city bus and got stalled out after smashing into just 2 vehicles rather than careening through them like any other GTA game before this. You used to be able to bowl down a dozen people in 4, now you come to a stop after just a few people getting caught up in your undercarriage.

i said this earlier today. agree 100%

cars are no longer weapons and buses are useless

• infidel74 likes this

rosspaul
  • rosspaul

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Im with the poster on this, hate using R2 and L2, im constantly hitting X & square to brake/acellerate, gets me into all sort of trouble on missions etc. Its really making the game a disapointment for me despite its pure genius etc...

Why havent rockstar at least given us the option to change them back? So frustrating!!!!

Oh and yes I play loads of driving games and always use X & square, its so much easier for you hands, your thumbs are the main part of your hands for controlling things!!!

• infidel74 likes this

infidel74
  • infidel74

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

By the way, I believe the PS3 controllers have pressure sensitive buttons on them, specifically the ones I am wanting.

They can work in somewhat of an analog mode. More reason to give it to us.

peanutbutterjam
  • peanutbutterjam

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I hate the "x" to drive controls your either 0% throttle or 100% I would prefer to be able to use the right stick as throttle and brakes.

I think this pretty much answers the argument. It gives you the ability to control your speed.

YanUK
  • YanUK

Retired VC Contest Leader

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. Must admit I am a d pad fan more than a stick fan. However once get used to sticks then not too bad.

SimplyOzil
  • SimplyOzil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

I'd imagine it to be with the right analog stick on the PS controller, since it's analog and you can control the amount of pressure you want to apply, just like with foot pedals. This is how Gran Turismo, Driver and Need for Speed are done.

It's the same as GTAIV, you can control the speed by applying different amounts of pressure on the triggers. It feels very natural and is the way most driving games are set up these days.

Gran Turismo, Driver and Need for Speed are not controlled by the right analog stick, are they?

stangone50
  • stangone50

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

I completely agree with the fact that x should be an option atleast for gas .

Triggers on PS 3 suck major ball sacs .

The control doesnt feel natural driving with R2 . Its like im constantly pushing the controller down out of my hand so im constantly readjustting the controller in my hand .

Anyone who likes the triggers thats great im glad you like it but there are alot of us that dont .

They need to patch in the option for those of us that have been using X since GTA III .

R* please dont forget about us old schoolers .

fartwizard
  • fartwizard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

That's a shame. No classic controls is a deal breaker for me. I have no interest in playing this game with without it.  Also I'm reading that they screwed up the driving physics as well? I'm going to be sitting this one out. Hopefully they fix this for the next game and that they keep GTAIV online going in the meantime.

Dawgshite
  • Dawgshite

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Because there is more to driving than full throttle and full brake.

It's one of the reasons I prefer the Xbox, the smooth analog triggers.

Making the transition takes time, but gives you better control once you're used to it.

Giotech-ps3-trigger.jpg

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

MDE.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's the same as GTAIV, you can control the speed by applying different amounts of pressure on the triggers. It feels very natural and is the way most driving games are set up these days.

Gran Turismo, Driver and Need for Speed are not controlled by the right analog stick, are they?

Yes they are for accelerate and brake/reverse. If you don't like that, 'X' and 'square' work as well if you like that configuration.

Plus, triggers on the PS controller don't feel right for this sort of thing.

Winston Smith
  • Winston Smith

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I have to say, being new to the PS3 controller, the OP has a point.  It has been extremely awkward getting used to the new "Quad-trigger" controller. 

Motherflippers
  • Motherflippers

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Not at home so can't check but I'm pretty sure you can change the control layout on the settings.

On saying that, that is fairly obvious and maybe there isn't an option to have x/green as accelerate.

Dylricho
  • Dylricho

MDE.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Not at home so can't check but I'm pretty sure you can change the control layout on the settings.
On saying that, that is fairly obvious and maybe there isn't an option to have x/green as accelerate.

It would be stupid if R* didn't allow you to change back to the classic configuration. There's no reason why it wouldn't work.

VALDE85
  • VALDE85

CLASSIC CONTROLS BACK

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

INFIDEL74   A M E N  FOR THAT. ANYWAY A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE FOOLS ABOUT NEW CONTROLS THEY JUST TRY TO COPY REAL LIFE AND THAT´S NOT THE POINT AN IT NEVER WAS IN PREVIOUS GTAS THANKS FOR THAT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users