Those small things that you never knew, but are cool to know. Maybe the game mentions it a little bit, but most people forgot. Maybe its a hidden feature, or a cool fact. Whatever it is, it will be here.
I've spent 1000's of hours in GTA IV, yet it took me until 2013 to realize that there are snipers on rooftops at 4 stars, and that you can turn off your car engine by holding down triangle.
With GTAV, this thread is going to prevent situations like this from happening. This is a community thread made by its users - I'll just add everything to the OP. And no, there isn't a pre-existing topic like this.
So let's begin:
*****AUTHOR'S NOTE: Yes, I haven't been updating this thread, as I'm currently playing other games. If a next-gen version of GTAV releases, I will return to this thread & update it regularly.
1. Give the finger in a vehicle by being unarmed, and holding down L1/LB and aim the camera in any direction.
2. Toggle headlights on vehicles with right on the D-pad. At night, you have 2 types of headlight options.
3. When you're near someone on foot, press right on the D-pad to say something to them. The attitude is automatic depending on the situation. Persisting will make them run away, or apparently even fight you.
4. Hold X/A while climbing a ladder to climb faster.
5. In a fighter jet, press square/X to alternate between cannons & missiles. Press X/A to fire.
6. If you want to take Chop for a walk with you, hold down R2/LT and then press R1/RB. He'll enter the passenger seat of most cars, follow you on bikes (drive slow!), and you'll get a ball in your inventory which you can use to play fetch with Chop. Throw it like a grenade, & press the right arrow button to call Chop back.
7. Most buildings can be climbed on if you look carefully. Also, you can climb up most mountains/rocks.
8. To easily do a wheelie (on bikes), hold the left stick forward to lean in, and then flick & hold it back.
9. With the tow truck, you can even tow police cars that are pursuing you. This can be helpful as a shield.
10. You can kill a shark with a knife.
11. You can hide from cops in bushes.
12. The backfire from cars can ignite gasoline trails.
13. You can easily destroy pursuing police helicopters by leading them into the windmill farm.
14. Practice emergency landings (with planes) by holding down L2/LT to turn off your engine.
15. To quickly get underground, you can use an above-ground subway system.
16. Press circle/B while driving to toggle cinematic view. Press the right stick in cinematic view to toggle slow-mo. Use the right stick to switch camera angles.
*17. If you burn out at a stop light, the car next to you will most likely try to race you or speed off.
18. If you have the flashlight attachment on a gun, toggle it on/off by pressing the right directional button while aiming.
*19. Punch the back of a pickup truck to open the hatch. You can store certain things there, such as bikes.
20. Control your vehicle in mid-air using the left stick. This tilts the vehicle.
*21. Trailer-mounted vehicles are usable. Back a boat trailer into a body of water, and the boat will be released. Kick a car-hauler's back ramp, and the ramp will fall; from here, put the truck on a slant so the cars can slide off onto the ground.
*22. In mid-air, press & hold circle/B and you will flip.
*23. The phone does have a dial pad. Go to contacts, then press square/X.
*24. The gas tank is located right in front of the left-rear tire. Shoot it, and it'll leak a trail of gas. Shoot it to ignite it.
*25. If you have a wanted level but the cops can't see you, enter a new vehicle. Since they never witnessed you entering the vehicle, they usually will not notice you if you drive normally & slowly (even directly in their vision).
26. While stationary in a convertible car, hold down the right directional button to put the roof up/down.
27. Tap L1/LB in a car to quickly change to the next radio station, rather than using the weapon wheel. Useful for races.
28. Tap L1/LB on foot to equip/holster your most recently used weapon.
29. With a gun equipped, hold down R2/RT only halfway. You are aiming, but you have better control of your movement. While you're doing this, you can "combat jog" by holding down the X-button. (you might need high stamina/shooting to combat jog, because this only works with my Michael).
30. While aiming, press square/X to roll. (this can be useful for dodging cars/bullets/etc).
*31. To quickly do a 180, have a gun equipped, hold down R3 and hold R2/RT halfway. (useful in combat).
*32. To park your car/bike on a slope without it rolling away, hold down the handbrake. (R1/RB or X/A).
33. Lowering your car's suspension: although it doesn't change any stats, your car will turn corners better.
*34. You can shoot down the cable cars.
35. If your car flips over, you can almost always flip it back up. Just play around with the left stick.
1. There are weapons not sold at Ammu-Nation that you need to find yourself. The baseball bat, crowbar, golf club, molotov.
2. You can survive virtually anything with Trevor's rage mode, such as extremely high falls.
3. You can take a bike with you on the sky lift.
4. There's body armor at the back of Sandy Shores hospital.
5. An easy way to get a golf club is to play a round of golf.
*6. You can use cheats without getting your trophies/achievements disabled. Once you're done using the cheat(s), save the game. Now, reload the game. You will still be able to get trophies/achievements. Also, you will keep your spawned parachute, and possibly even the cars you spawned.
*7. You can enter any building in the game (sort of...) by placing a waypoint on the building, and using a cab to drive to the waypoint. Skip the ride, and you'll be inside. Good luck getting out!
*8. There are 3 moving UFOs and 1 sunken UFO.
*9. If your character is underwater and you switch characters, the former character's Lung Capacity will still be upgrading. They will not drown. Use this to your advantage to train your Lung Capacity, or to prevent drowning. Note that your Lung Capacity doesn't upgrade while in a wet suit.
10. On the first heist, if your gunman dies on the bike, you can pick up his dropped money.
11. Save Franklin's Lester assassination missions until you beat the game. Look up a stock market guide for more info.
*12. If you prefer larger crosshairs like in IV, Go to menu>Settings>display>weapon targeting>complex.
Random Events/odd customs:
*1. If you are long enough with one of the protags in Sandy Shores, a stranger will start following you. If you get out of your car, he instantly tazers you. Then you wake up in underwear on train tracks with an approaching train.
2. Sometimes, if there is an empty van in the middle of nowhere, walk up to it and you get tazed. You wake up on a train track in underwear, with the train fast-approaching.
*3. If you find & follow a protagonist in free mode for too long, they will punch you too death.
*4. If you leave your car unattended, homeless people can steal it.
*5. If you run over Trevor in free roam, he'll pull out a weapon, curse you out, and shoot you.
6. Most pedestrians do not like Trevor. Stand near them too long and they'll either move away and insult you, get aggressive, or call the cops on you.
7. Not all random events are marked on your map and count as missions. (e.g. People being robbed in dark alleyways; killing the robber won't give any rewards besides his measly pocket change.)
*8. If you manage to run over Trevor in free roam as another character, he will spawn at a nearby hospital and text you "You're paying for my medical bills, haha!"
9. If you press circle/B while jumping, you will fall onto the ground.
*10. Prisoners can sometimes escape and will ask you to stop and give them a ride; they'll hijack your vehicle.
*11. If you enter Franklin's house as Trevor, he texts you asking "Are you the one loitering in my house?"
12. There's a random event, much like No Country For Old Men where you find $25,000.
*13. If you're playing as Trevor or Franklin and shoot rockets at Michael's house, he'll call you and actually say "stop f*cking firing rockets at my house!"
14. if Franklin has grenades on him during the Jewlery Store Heist, Mike makes a big deal not to toss them into the air vent and Franklin gets pissed off.
* = Not yet proven. I will prove them when I get the chance, or another user can prove it.
Post yours, let's build this thread!!