Quantcast

» «
Photo

Car Insurance and Garages (Single Player)

23 replies to this topic
planex
  • planex

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

Does anyone know what the deal is with garages and losing cars after you destroy them (even if they were stored in a garage)? I thought Rockstar promised us a Saint's Row style system, so that when you spend $20,000 on customizing a car, you don't accidently lose it. From everything I've seen so far, if you take a car out of your garage and blow it up or leave it somewhere, it's simply dead and gone.

CM_Kimmy
  • CM_Kimmy

U WOT M8?

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think insurance is an online exclusive feature. This is to prevent other users from steeling your car. 

Caligastia
  • Caligastia

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

there is a message when you leave a car somewhere and then it is gone, that is has been "impounded".  I suspect there is somewhere you can pick these up.  I have not customised anything so I have never cared to find out where.  There was a mission where you can impound cars, one of ? mark missions for Franklin, so that is where I suspect you would pick it up.  Hope that helps.  The impound lot is very close to Franklins safehouse.  Someone else may know exaclty where.  Hope that helpds, sounds frustrating.

planex
  • planex

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

there is a message when you leave a car somewhere and then it is gone, that is has been "impounded".  I suspect there is somewhere you can pick these up.

I've been to the impound to pick up cars, but they were cars that I had left somewhere. I'm going to be extremely dissatisfied if I have to recover every damn custom car from the impound lot.

MisterRawgers
  • MisterRawgers

Swindler

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

I once had to pick up my car that was impounded, you pick it up at the police station. Though most of the time when I lose my car it's gone forever.. pretty much no point in wasting money on one. :/

BigMarty1987
  • BigMarty1987

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Impoud lot, or see it in ur driveway few missions later

Kitteh
  • Kitteh

^___________^

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:08 PM Edited by Kitteh, 18 September 2013 - 12:09 PM.

On the flipside, anyone know how to get rid of a car? I've blown up Franklin's hideous Buffalo 3 times and it still reappears spotless in his driveway.

Also, you CAN stuff two cars into Franklin's starter garage and they will remain after loading the saved game. You just can't get into either of them.

Sirpepperoni
  • Sirpepperoni

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

On the flipside, anyone know how to get rid of a car? I've blown up Franklin's hideous Buffalo 3 times and it still reappears spotless in his driveway.

Also, you CAN stuff two cars into Franklin's starter garage and they will remain after loading the saved game. You just can't get into either of them.

I fit a car and my box in there and it saved, should work if you can fit 2 cars in there
  • B8km likes this

planex
  • planex

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Impoud lot, or see it in ur driveway few missions later

None of my custom cars have respawned in my driveway or anywhere else.

Emjayblaze
  • Emjayblaze

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to figure this out since I got the game. I think the only way to keep customized cars is to return them to the garage when you are done using it. Don't destroy it, don't leave it anywhere. Always bring it back to the garage... Annoying, I know.

GTAhole
  • GTAhole

BPC

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Wish R* wouldve been more specific been revealing features like this and the apartments/homes you can purchase. Was looking forwards to these features in single player.

Retrorex
  • Retrorex

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

It would be great to get some clarification on this, at the moment there's no way I'm going to tune up another car after the last one just vanished.

/sob I loved that car..... WAAAAHHHHHHHH

monkzilla
  • monkzilla

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Here's a clean explanation. I may be wrong because GTA v is full of surprises aand features that are only unlocked after certain missions.

Each protag has their own personal car (michael's family has cars)

Franklin: Buffalo
Michael: Audi look alike
Trevor: didn't unlock him

But these cars will always appear by the characters house in the driveway. Even if you lose em, blow em up, whatever. If you customize one and leave it in the garage or somewhere, a stock one will spawn in their driveways.

If you customize a car, stash that sh*t in your home's garage or the actual car garage for each character. If you leave your customized car laying around it will either get impounded, or someone will jack it. If you blow it up, or get jacked, done deal... You have to recustomize a new one.

Revoemag
  • Revoemag

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Not fully sure of this...but I think you need to save custom cars in the garage and then if you leave it somewhere or it gets destroyed then it will reappear.
But you need to save it first

Caligastia
  • Caligastia

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Not fully sure of this...but I think you need to save custom cars in the garage and then if you leave it somewhere or it gets destroyed then it will reappear.
But you need to save it first

After you get Trevor and perform the first flying mission of the game, you can buy property in Vinewood there is a garage that you can buy to store cars, its only $30k so its totally worth it, I stored a couple of cars in there, I don't know how many you can store, but from the looks of it anywhere from 6 to 10.  I will test that theory when I get home from work.  If anyone knows the limit, let me know so I can start planning on the way home what I am going to buy and customize.  Also, Franklin can buy Los Santos Customs, and can modify cars for free once he buys it, for the autophiles out there, these two purcharse would be wise, that would make loosing the cars alot less painful.  I hope this helps.

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

Same. I bought and customized 3 cars, they aren't in any of my garages and they're not impounded.

beneficial
  • beneficial

Buckwheats

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

The character cars will remain customized and reappear. Anything else is a gamble it seems.

beneficial
  • beneficial

Buckwheats

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

After you buy businesses there really isn't much to spend money on except the stock market and custom whips so maybe this is working as intended.

arangov3
  • arangov3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have a car in at Franks house and I had it there since I got the game and it is still there so I guess I just wont mod any cars like u guys

allinclusive
  • allinclusive

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

The character cars will remain customized and reappear. Anything else is a gamble it seems.

Nope. Just lost all modifications on Franklins' ride without even driving it after doing several missions.

ElvisGouranga
  • ElvisGouranga

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

After a lot of experimenting I think I figured out how to keep cars you've costumised. As Caligastia pointed out above you need to buy a garage for the character that the car belongs to first, I'll call this garage the 'storage garage' from here. After that you can store your car there. Any car that you've stored in this garage will either be impounded or re-appear in this storage garage or when you leave it somewhere or are forced to use another car during a mission. 

The tricky part is that only two cars be at the impound at any one time, so you have to make sure the impound isn't full or you'll probably lose your car. Another thing I noticed is that you can only pick a car up from the impound once. After you've picked up a car from the impound the game appears to not recognise as your 'owned' car anymore. To work around this, you have to drive it to the storage garage and save it there. After that the game will recognise that you own this car again. The same goes for cars you buy off the in game internet, when they have been impounded once you need to drive them back to the storage garage so that next time you leave it somewhere it will be recognised as a car that you own again.

The garages at the characters' safehouses seem to work as the garages in previous GTAs, they will store your cars but if you drive a car out of them and then leave it somewhere the chances are you'll never see it again.

Rockstar have already acknowledged that there is an issue with (modded) cars being lost, but if you follow the instructions above you should be able to keep your modded cars. At least this has worked for me so far. Hopefully R* will address this problem and any car you've modded will always re-appear at the impound or in your storage garage instead of being lost forever.

Bazzad
  • Bazzad

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:18 PM Edited by Bazzad, 20 September 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Car owenership / garages / impound system is broken.

Cars I buy vanish.

Cars I mod vanish.

I store a car in a garage, walk down the road, walk back, and the car has vanished,

I store a car in a garage, save the game, load the game, and the car has vanished.

I stole a feltzer and ditched it after 30 seconds. It keeps spawning on Franklins driveway.

I had Franklins Buffalo impounded once. Now it just spawns on his driveway regardless of where I leave it.

I drove it to his grove street garage, took out the elergy (think that's what it's called) and drove it back to Franklins house leaving the buffolo behind. When I got back to his house the buffalo was on his drive way again.

This is by no means game breaking but is incredibly frustrating.

I modded Franklins car and so far the changes have stayed put.

Bazzad
  • Bazzad

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:08 AM Edited by Bazzad, 21 September 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Right, I think I may have fixed the cars disappearing problem.

I had bought Michael a car after the first heist, drove it to a mission and lost it, or so I thought. It was actually impounded and I hadn't noticed.

I retrieved it from the impound lot and discovered that the impound lot was full (only holds two cars). They we both Michaels (I totally forgot I bought him a big 4 wheel drive thing the name of which I have forgot). So I retrieved both cars and drove them to his garage then drove one to his house and stored it in the garage there.

Saved game, loaded game.

Success, the car is still in his garage.

Switched to Franklin and bought a car, picked it up from the garage and drove it to his house and parked it in the garage.

Saved game , loaded game.

Car still in garage.

Since clearing the impound lot my cars are staying with me during missions and being impounded when I leave them behind. If I leave them in a garage they are staying in the garage too.

All cars seem to be working as they should now, bought or stolen and moded, the game is treating them as mine.

I think the problem could be that once the impound lot is full the game has no where to put the cars you leave behind so it despawns them and they are lost for ever.

I only played for 30 minutes after discovering this so it may not be a permenant fix, but it was working. I'll play more later today and see what's what, will update when I can.

sOFrOsTy
  • sOFrOsTy

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

I chose not to risk it and I only customized the cars they own at the start of the game. I finished all the story missions and all customizations I made to the cars they own are still intact.

The impound lot still makes no sense to me as there are cars I've never seen before in them. Also, when in the actual car garage, there is an option to choose a "special car". this is one car and I can't change it. Also whenever I choose it, it appears as a different color with random mods.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users