Photo

Screw you, Rockstar... GTA V *SPOILERS*

1,467 replies to this topic
Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Even if little Johnny didn't get strung out on crank Trevor would've still curb-stomped him all the same. He was a wannabe and this world is full of'em and when one of them come up against a real man, this is always the result. Just another wannabe getting put in his place. I LOL at TLAD because I'm familiar with biker gangs. Johnny was not the type of guy who would be running that sh*t and that is just a fact. Good riddance to Johnny and Ashely's vaginer.

Johnny took out a fleet of NOOSE and Prison Security with two other people. He also killed dozens of people in Chinatown. Trevor is the fakest, most plastic character I've seen yet. A walking, talking stereotype. "LOOOL I'M CRAZY LOOK FIRE BOOM WADE SUCK MY DICK LOL" it's just overkill. Johnny was something Trevor wasn't: HUMAN.

• B Dawg likes this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Even if little Johnny didn't get strung out on crank Trevor would've still curb-stomped him all the same. He was a wannabe and this world is full of'em and when one of them come up against a real man, this is always the result. Just another wannabe getting put in his place. I LOL at TLAD because I'm familiar with biker gangs. Johnny was not the type of guy who would be running that sh*t and that is just a fact. Good riddance to Johnny and Ashely's vaginer.

Johnny took out a fleet of NOOSE and Prison Security with two other people. He also killed dozens of people in Chinatown. Trevor is the fakest, most plastic character I've seen yet. A walking, talking stereotype. "LOOOL I'M CRAZY LOOK FIRE BOOM WADE SUCK MY DICK LOL" it's just overkill. Johnny was something Trevor wasn't: HUMAN.

Johnny was just a wannabe. He should've been the guy giving us our burger at Burger Chot. Not a biker. Trevor is the deepest protags yet, and most enjoyable---even though I don't really like the guy that much. He's just ok for me.

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

The whole point of Johnny's character is that he BROKE the usual biker stereotypes. That's what made him so likeable to me. A guy rebelling against society, and then rebelling against the rebelling stereotype.

Some are going to define such character depth as being 'whiny' or a 'wannabe' and if you don't like him because that's your immediate perception and not your taste sure you are more than entitled to that opinion. It's pretty clear throughout the plot why Johnny has the respect he has regardless of his stereotype breaking.

Trevor is a very simple concept which is basically an exaggeration of the average going psycho GTA player. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's plastic unlike many 'popular' heroes he does have some depth and background to him but he is far from deep. Especially compared to Johnny.

Trevor's entire design was based around the 'Hey I'm random'/Exaggeration of a GTA player concept. Deepness was never going to be a draw for that character.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Johnny was NOT a wannabe, he's a very dangerous man. I would fear 2008 Johnny over Trevor any day of the week. No way Trevor wins in Liberty City.

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

I was glad to see that arrogant bastard die by the hands of a deranged sociopath.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Trevor? Deeper than Niko?

BURY ME WHERE THE COYOTES ROAM

• dannyz and Ermacs like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Let's remove those Santa hats, guys...

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Watch out! We got a badass over here!
A wanna-be? Really? Johnny could curb stomp your, or probably any of us common gamers' asses.
And unlike Trevor, he would do it with proper motivation, not for the sake of being a psycho.

Vega Fve
  • Vega Fve

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

It's a realistic turn of events after the Alderney Chapter of The Lost was screwed over by it's own members and left Johnny depressed and tired of life. He went to LS, became a meth addict, and got his skull bashed in by an unpredictable drunk psychopath with anger management issues.

NOW DEAL WITH IT !!!

Johnny was an awesome character, but if you wanna jerk off over how awesome he was, go play TLaD again.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Trevor is a very simple concept which is basically an exaggeration of the average going psycho GTA player. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's plastic unlike many 'popular' heroes he does have some depth and background to him but he is far from deep. Especially compared to Johnny.

Trevor's entire design was based around the 'Hey I'm random'/Exaggeration of a GTA player concept. Deepness was never going to be a draw for that character.

Then I don't think we should have been bullsh*tted into thinking he WAS.
He had such a deep involvement in Michael's story, in which he has one personallity of the violitile but not like "clinically insane" individual.
Side missions and Rampages say something different. There's missions like Nigel's where he sometimes takes the moral high ground, and is really apathetic. Or, there's rampages where he just kills everyone from being minorly pissed off.

R* didn't establish a consistant identity for Trevor, or even for Franklin; the guy who seemed to care for his fellow man and would only take professional jobs, but would do any two-bit, crappy gangbanger type job that came across.

Michael seemed consistant, but this is because he didn't have to change his personallity for all the Strangers and Freaks missions (BECAUSE HE HAD LIKE TWO THE ENTIRE GAME.)

Rockstar was too ambitious, they failed in intigrating Trevor sufficiently and consistantly into the main story because he was designed for the lunacy of side-missions and free roam. Hence, why he is given the special ability of proficient piloting from the start, all the real odd clothes, and perhaps the most powerful and least realistic special ability.

Franklin is like the inverse, but to a much lesser extent. I doubt the straight-edge young guy would give a f*ck about towing cars for some deabeat like five times after saying it was his last after the first.

Michael was more reminiscent of someone like Niko.
His character was carefully designed to fit over a well-written story; consequently there were no specific side missions for him beyond the world activities.

You can have a stupidly fun and funnily stupid gameplay experience, like Saint's Row, probably the reason they have you play as a custom character with no name or identity.

Or, you can play an extremely well-tailored story with an interesting and likeable character, like Vito in Mafia II.

My exigence for this, is that R* tried to do both with Trevor. You cannot make a character like him who's properly involved in the story... or at least they missed the mark.

Sadly for us, there is a greater portion of the gaming and GTA audience that gives a f*ck about planes and killing hookers than realism and a good story. Hence, why valid CJ in brown and ugly San Andreas got more love than Vercetti in glamorous Vice City. Why Luis with an attack chopper and an AA-12 got more attention than the deep and morally driven Johnny.
This isn't WRONG for players to favor this, it's just not MY preference.

A game I played recently really put this into perspective; Hotline Miami. The story, essentially, is an anti-story. Without giving a lot away (go play it, it was awesome) its story is deliberately flawed and bland to tell you at the end that if you were expecting a story from a game with already good mechanics, than you're not really doing it right.
While I ULTIMATELY disagree with this thesis of theirs, it was a very interesting and new perspective, and I know that the story driven game is becoming SUCH a niche genre; hence why games like The Last of Us are so prided for their stories. I didn't think it was anything special, but there's less competition for that genre now.
  • Deadly Target likes this

Nathaaann
  • Nathaaann

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Why the f*ck did you post that here????
I've finished GTA TLAD but I didn't even buy GTA V.

At least write that the spoiler is from GTA V. Damn! 

He said GTA V spoilers in the title, you have no right to complain.

He put it at the very end so people couldn't see and I didn't even notice myself. Luckily I've already completed the game about a week ago so it didn't spoil it for me.

Commissioner Monk
  • Commissioner Monk

Spelt it wrang....N wit!!!

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

I loved how Trevor kicked that junkies head in. "Lets f*ck cowboy" that the best entrance any GTA character has had. Grow up. All the best charcters have a shocking death. Did you see the nick of Johnny he was a shadow of himself... willing to let Trevor f*ck his bird because hes a f*cking meth head. Thats what happens to gimps.

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:09 AM Edited by FearTheLiving, 27 September 2013 - 01:09 AM.

Side Note: Gotta love R*'s detail to Trevor's magic pants that automatically pull themselves up and even make belt sounds regardless that they're sweat pants that have no belt.

fac316
  • fac316

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I think they did that because rememeber ALOT of people hated IV for whatever reasons. I shot ashley too tho :)

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Why are people posting in a TLaD forum to say how much they disliked TLaD?

Oh the attention-seeking trolls...

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

get a life

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Born to Lose, Live to Win

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Get outta here nadolny. no need to ruin this topic with your trolling.

Blacc94
  • Blacc94

G

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Get outta here nadolny. no need to ruin this topic with your trolling.

Do you know what trolling means?

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:28 PM Edited by Majestic81, 27 September 2013 - 11:32 PM.

Hes being off-topic and making silly comments. i dont give a sh*t what you like to call that. if hes not going to be positive then he should get the f*ck out.

Blacc94
  • Blacc94

G

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hes being off-topic and making silly comments. i dont give a sh*t what you like to call that. if hes not going to be positive then he get the f*ck out.

Don't be a drama queen over an in-game character brother. It's not worth it.
  • NADOLNY likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:06 PM Edited by Majestic81, 27 September 2013 - 10:10 PM.

Discussing a part of the game storyline is considered acting like a drama queen? news to me.  :sarcasm:

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

MGT86
  • MGT86

Thug

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

You all need to take a f*cking chill pill, it's just a game and just a character, i liked johnny as well, thought i wouldn't because i don't like biker things that much but i did and i did really like him as a character but guys seriously you are being dramatic about it, if cj died or michael died or franklin i wouldn't really care because it's just a game, bit of a disappointment yes but wouldn't go f*cking a-wall about it especially if that's it your not playing GTA V because johnny died in a inhumane way, seriously if that's the case grow up.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

I was very upset at first about the death of Johnny, but I came to terms with it for a few reasons.

A. Johnny had nothing else to live for anyway. Even if he killed Trevor  nothing good was going to come out of his situation. He was addicted to meth, Ashley was still broken, and he was still broken. I am happier that Johnny got killed by Trevor than continued to live his shell of a life.

B. It set up Trevor to be a pyschopathic asshole. If you remember in Dan Housers interviews he noted that they wanted to create an effect between Michael and Trevor in which you would say hate Trevor and be on Michael's side then back to Trevor's side. Now I think they failed at that because I hated Trevor and Michael as characters but that was still the effect they were going for. I can not think of a better way of setting Trevor up as a bad person than by killing Johnny K in the way he did; except maybe killing Niko and Roman in a similar manner.

C. Johnny did not deserve a better death. While Johnny was moral he was still a mass murderer. There are hundreds of broken families without fathers, brothers, uncles, and sons because of his actions in: Off Route, Buyers Market, Marta Full of Grace, Shifting Weight, and Get Lost. Those were just good cops doing there job to protect society from crazy mass murders and drug dealers like Trevor who were gunned down so Johnny would not have to face the legal consequences of his actions. Let alone when he killed Arthur Stubbs or kidnapped Roman.

Those were all bad moral decisions that Johnny made, and so to me his death was fitting. Just think if your father was a random cop for the LCPD and Johnny killed him in the line of duty, or if your dad was the helicopter pilot for Arthur Stubbs or limo driver who got caught in the way, or if Arthur Stubbs was your family member who you loved and was a good man and did everything he could to help others through charity.

Johnny deserved what he got.

Blacc94
  • Blacc94

G

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Discussing a part of the game storyline is considered acting like a drama queen? news to me.  :sarcasm:

You're not discussing a part of the game storyline, you're whining about the way a character died. I'm not trying to be rude brother, I'm just saying it's not worth watching. Just say "Damn, that's f*cked up" & move on lol.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:50 AM

You're not discussing a part of the game storyline, you're whining about the way a character died. I'm not trying to be rude brother, I'm just saying it's not worth watching. Just say "Damn, that's f*cked up" & move on lol.

We're discussing all perspectives and motives of the decision. Yeah, we're upset, but the only people blatantly whining and bitching are those who post "fuk glad he ded lol" either troll or poorly thought out comments on the post.

Blacc94
  • Blacc94

G

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

We're discussing all perspectives and motives of the decision. Yeah, we're upset, but the only people blatantly whining and bitching are those who post "fuk glad he ded lol" either troll or poorly thought out comments on the post.

I see your point, but it's folks that are upset, it's folks that are glad, & then there's folks that just go with it. So there's bound to be arguments lol. That goes for any opinion.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

he was still a mass murderer

Like every other GTA protagonist. I don't see this as a valid argument.

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Best we can hope for... I don't know, bring Johnny back in a GTA V DLC, with like... I don't know, an eyepatch and a shoe print on his face. We deserve that.

LMAO.. that would be even more insulting to his character to walk around with Trevor's footprint on his face. 

DeadInHell
  • DeadInHell

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

I get that they were trying to show us how "serious" Trevor is and what an unstable, untrustworthy sociopath he is and all, and that's fine, but I think you guys who keep pointing that out are missing the point. We understand what they were doing. Just because we "get" it doesn't mean we have to love it. I wasn't even a huge fan of Johnny or the Lost, but it still felt like a total f*ck you to the people who bought that DLC, put time into that story and those characters.

Anyways, I haven't finished GTAV yet so I don't know where the characters end up after all of this. But if Trevor makes it out alive, one of the DLCs for GTAV should put you in the shoes of Johnny's brother, Michael. He could come to LS to avenge his brother's death. He's a military man - a Captain, no less -  and thus would make a decent protagonist (having the necessary skills to get sh*t done). I think it would be a good way to take Johnny's crappy end and do something with it, as well as make sense in the world of GTA. You go on a warpath and you're bound to piss off the wrong people eventually. That's a pretty common theme in the series. And for once we'd have a protagonist on a mission we could identify with. 

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:47 PM Edited by man dragon, 28 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

Trevor was right to do what he did, because the Johnny we knew and loved was already dead. A character arc can be viewed as a transformative journey, where the principal protagonist either succeeds or recedes. Johnny had a number of flaws, he had a prior drug-addiction hooked to his unstable relationship with Ashley. In the five years between TLaD and V, Johnny, as a character, hit a recession. He was an unrecognisable meth-tweaker who had gotten back together with Ashley. I loved Johnny, easily my favourite protagonist in the IV trinity, but when a character succumbs to their weaknesses and doesn't overcome their flaws, well, then they're going to die.

Don't forget that GTA Online is a prequel (so to speak), set a few months before V. I have no doubt in my mind we'll get a bit more of an insight into exactly what happened to Johnny through our online characters.

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

he was still a mass murderer

Like every other GTA protagonist. I don't see this as a valid argument.

It's a valid argument because mass murderers do not deserve a hero's death, they deserve to be stomped out by crackheads, and Johnny got what he deserved. Regardless of if you like Johnny as a character,he was a horrible person who did horrible things, as I've already stated in my post above in great detail. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users