1,580 replies to this topic
Ermac
  • Ermac

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

I see your point.

Franklin also went from "gangbanging driver who wants to make some cash" to "guy who does nothing but iron his clothes and says "Hey-- holla at me yall, peeece".

"Hey Imma leave before you take advantage, hehe."

Franklin has the worst intros when you switch to his character after you beat the story.

"Man i'm drunk, but sh*t, I ain't gettin drunker."

The only line that doesn't grate my nerves is "Man that's like six burpees right there." i chuckle evry teim

Anyway, I digress. Johnny's death to me was similar to

Spoiler
It's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread already, but the way Johnny was taken out was akin to pissing all over anyone who enjoyed TLAD. It was a cheap shortcut to bolster Trevor as a protagonist as well. "he kil jonny wit 2 stomp 2 head. he cwazzyyy."

• Donut and Niobium like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

WORLD'S ANGRIEST GTA IV FANBOY

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

I never played SR2 but i think i know what you are saying. Johnny Gat was supposedly not just a badass, but really strong, and tough too. I can see why having him killed so easily in SR3 is bullsh*t.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

I never played SR2 but i think i know what you are saying. Johnny Gat was supposedly not just a badass, but really strong, and tough too. I can see why having him killed so easily in SR3 is bullsh*t.

Spoiler

Rockstar could have expressed how crazy Trevor was without offing and destroying Johnny's character.

• Ermac and Niobium like this

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

i have never played SR4, so i didn't know he got abducted by aliens. (wut)

the only saints row game i have played is SR3, and although i think SR3's story is OK, i can see why the game has pissed on so many saints row fans

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Fear As The Weapon Of Mass Destruction

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Only Saints Row I played was the First, and man, that game had one awesome soundtrack, customizable in-game playlists, buying alcohol and drugs to use whenever you want. I kind of miss that game a bit.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

I only played the third Saints Row. I didn't know that Johnny Gat was such a big deal. When he died in the less-than-heroic death of a plane crash, I was just thinking nothing of it. It didn't develope the Belgian as a character or anything. I feel like how non-TLaD fans probably felt when playing that scene... Such a tragic tale of two Johnnies...
I hope Johnny K. is alive in some alien ship somewhere.

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

The thing about Johnny Gat though is that Loren was killed off in the first act. So it was sorta meaningless.

Still at least they had the ability to write a ridiculous enough storyline to bring him back, the SR series does have a lot of wriggle room. They can't do the same with Johnny K or else it'll be an even worse backlash.

It's quite clear right off that SR isn't a game about sensible storyline, yet the characters on the most part are pretty solid.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Well it's clear GTA isn't about a sensible story-line anymore... bring junnie bak pls

Donut
  • Donut

goon

• Members
  • Aruba

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

SR1 and 2 were really fun, but SR2's story was when it started getting a little out-there. Then SR3 comes, lol that story is just plain ridicolous - but i still liked SR1 and 2, so i got it and had fun. I draw the line at "president killing aliens" status, however. I also found Trevor's story a lot like SR2's. He creates a gang (TPI = Saints), takes outs other gangs in area (Lost/Aztecas = Samedi, Brotherhood & Ronin) and then focuses on taking out paramilitary group (Merryweather = Ultor). Anyone else see that lol? The whole Merryweather/FIB part of V's story was just flat awful, i'm sorry. It was on SR status, but SR doesn't have a track record of good stories, and with SR3 and 4 you can see they don't plan on it. But GTA does, so adding a SR type vibe in angers me. I pray the next GTA has a good story and gets back on track, but that's LONG away. For now, i hope the GTA 5 story DLC is a little better. North Yankton Stories would be great, see how Mikey met Trevor (transporting drugs or something into Canada, i think), see how they meet Brad and Brad could be the driver/3rd character. You can also have a Hood DLC, before Frank meets Mike. There was like 2 Simeon missions and 4 hood missions, i think. Those two DLCs could be worth. However, i don't like the thought of continuing the story from V's ending. Prequels or other people in the world (like how IV did) is worth a paid DLC, continuations just seem like there cutting their game in half to get paid some extra money...

HUUUUUUGE tangent, i'm sorry. But you guy's brought up SR and one thing led to another >.>

• Drunken Cowboy and LightningLord like this

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:58 AM Edited by Dr. Robotnik, 05 April 2014 - 07:08 AM.

Rockstar could have expressed how crazy Trevor was without offing and destroying Johnny's character.

That and by the end of the DLC Johnny was already dead in every way that mattered, so an on-screen death feels unnecessary.

Did it seem to anyone else that there was some drift in continuity regarding how big the Lost MC was between games? The impression I got from TLAD was that they were mostly limited to the Alderney chapter (with the Broker chapter being more or less an off-shoot), and as such, the destruction of the clubhouse was meant to symbolize the end of an era and the outdatedness of the "biker" archetype, in the same way that "Red Dead Redemption" depicted the twilight of the Wild West.

• Donut and Drunken Cowboy like this

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:58 AM Edited by Peachrocks, 05 April 2014 - 09:58 AM.

The thing is though that SR3 and 4 was MEANT to be ridiculous. It's not like GTA V where the story attempts to take itself seriously even though they've got a character like Trevor who is the exact opposite of a serious story and they try fit that in by making him butt hurt over Michael's 'betrayal'. He's a big reason the story is the mess that it is.

In general there's a similarities between Trevor and the SR protagonist in the fact they are destruction happy lunatics but GTA tries take such a concept and think how it can work in the usual tone of a GTA story and honestly it doesn't work because such a concept is ridiculous.

As for comparisons to SR2, sure it's similar but there's no meaning to the Aztecas or the O'Neil's and all the meaning The Lost had was in TLAD and oh yeah they are the ones being screwed over so people who do know what their meaning is aren't going to be too thrilled by some shallow character ripping it apart.

The SR series might be silly and ridiculous at times especially 3 and on but it works mostly because they don't attempt to do anything else and they actually develop their characters most of the time. Point is, you know what you're getting into. GTA V as Drunken Cowboy's 'thread of the year' tells us didn't know what the hell it was supposed to be. Identity Crisis indeed...

• Ledsbourne, Dr. Robotnik, Donut and 1 other like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:51 AM Edited by SFPD officer, 06 April 2014 - 09:52 AM.

The thing is though that SR3 and 4 was MEANT to be ridiculous. It's not like GTA V where the story attempts to take itself seriously even though they've got a character like Trevor who is the exact opposite of a serious story and they try fit that in by making him butt hurt over Michael's 'betrayal'. He's a big reason the story is the mess that it is.

In general there's a similarities between Trevor and the SR protagonist in the fact they are destruction happy lunatics but GTA tries take such a concept and think how it can work in the usual tone of a GTA story and honestly it doesn't work because such a concept is ridiculous.

As for comparisons to SR2, sure it's similar but there's no meaning to the Aztecas or the O'Neil's and all the meaning The Lost had was in TLAD and oh yeah they are the ones being screwed over so people who do know what their meaning is aren't going to be too thrilled by some shallow character ripping it apart.

The SR series might be silly and ridiculous at times especially 3 and on but it works mostly because they don't attempt to do anything else and they actually develop their characters most of the time. Point is, you know what you're getting into. GTA V as Drunken Cowboy's 'thread of the year' tells us didn't know what the hell it was supposed to be. Identity Crisis indeed...

You know, if Trevor was really an out of control, chilling maniac it could have worked. I think there is a place for character like that in HD Era. One of my favorite Trevor scenes is the opening cutscene of Fresh Meat. Sure, it starts with "LOL TREVOR TRIPPED AND FELL ON HIS FACE, SO FUNNY" joke, but everything after that is one awesome performance by Steven Ogg. In that cutscene, I really took Trevor for a sick, dangerous psychopath Michael was talking about before his actual apperance in the story. His introduction mission, controversy aside, is also a good example of how he should have been portrayed throughout the game.

But then you have Wade. And Debra and Floyd. And Patricia. And Trevor, who could have been a great character is seriously damaged. R*'s push to make Trevor likable by making him a Saints Row-ish lunatic hurt him really bad. It's another example of R* catering to the public too much and compromising their own artistic vision in the process. At least I think, and hope, it is. I want to believe that if R* really wrote Trevor the way they wanted, without being afraid of turning the audience away, humor would be still a part of his character, but it would be much blacker and depraved sense of humor. Like that scene where Trevor arrives to bring news of Johnny's death to Terry and Clay.

You can see how hard R* tried to portray Trevor in more positive, forced "But he is just a wacky, funny nutjob!" light when you put him in comparsion to Michael and Franklin. Michael really shines, because R* showed him without any compromises - he's fleshed out, complex and R* weren't afraid to properly stress his negative traits along with positive ones, without handwaving them away or playing them for laughs like with Trevor. Franklin doesn't get much screen time, but he was treated seriously and written without writers holding back or being stopped by editorial mandates too.

• Dr. Robotnik likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

John Marston, Johnny Klebbitz, Johnny Gat

This sh*t's Cursed

• universetwisters, Ermac, Dr. Robotnik and 3 others like this

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Gat survived though :).

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

Blue, blue, electric blue. That's the color of my room.

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Rockstar be like

MEcR2yI.gif

I wonder what Rockstar would reply if someone asked this:

"Hey C*, please kill off Michael, Trevor, Franklin in the next game!"

"No!, they're protagonists of the latest game, people <3 them"

"You didn't have any trouble killing off almost all the cast of TLAD, why can't you do the same for them...?"

"Uhh...."

• Jeansowaty, Drunken Cowboy and Niobium like this

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:22 PM Edited by Dr. Robotnik, 06 April 2014 - 05:30 PM.

You know, if Trevor was really an out of control, chilling maniac it could have worked. I think there is a place for character like that in HD Era. One of my favorite Trevor scenes is the opening cutscene of Fresh Meat. Sure, it starts with "LOL TREVOR TRIPPED AND FELL ON HIS FACE, SO FUNNY" joke, but everything after that is one awesome performance by Steven Ogg. In that cutscene, I really took Trevor for a sick, dangerous psychopath Michael was talking about before his actual apperance in the story. His introduction mission, controversy aside, is also a good example of how he should have been portrayed throughout the game.

Exactly. As much as I complain about Johnny's death in this thread, I'd be willing to forgive it if they went the route you suggested, simply because it would have made such a fantastic intro to Trevor's character. The scene where he first meets Michael face-to-face is also a great example; the only one who really talks to Trevor is Michael, and he acts like he's trying to disarm an H-bomb.

But after that first mission in Los Santos, there's this clear tonal shift, and after that we're apparently meant to accept that Trevor's just an anti-hero along the same lines as the other two. It would have been far more consistent with his earlier characterization if, say, instead of taking Kerimov to the airport, he drove him out into the middle of nowhere, said "I lied!", and shot him.

Peachrocks
  • Peachrocks

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:21 AM

Don't get me started on Kerimov. The sad thing about that controversial torture scene is that it meant nothing. Why is this guy the IAA and FIB want dead so important? It's never really said. Not to mention that Kerimov probably would have told them what they wanted to know without torture simply to spite his former captors.

I kinda get why they wanted to torture someone who would have talked anyway as to point out a real life issue but it really could have had more purpose and meaning...

Vercetti family
  • Vercetti family

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Iran

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, why not killing annoying protagonists at least? Johnny was a
good guy in my opinion. He just hated the guys who either verbally ,
emotionally or physically disturbed him , not killing everyone for his
own desire and benefits. in TLAD you have some choices that shows
a bit of kindness from him. You can choose to spare Brian and forgive him
Once( though he screws you over again and you must kill him in a random encounter) . Also Johnny doesn't shoot Billy grey the moment he
Sees him and hesitates, but is forced to kill Billy Grey after the latter
Attacks him. but Johnny always made a bad mistake by taking care of
Ashley every time and for every moment , though she never cared for
herself and always did drugs. drugs wrote their fate from before. if Johnny
Hadn't become an addict, he was able to fight back Trevor and even escape to The Lost MC camp so he can be in protection. The radio news
Mention that Ashley died of a drug overdose . Anyway, the offer for
Johnny's death especially in that sort of way was kinda terrible.
  • Gummy  and Niobium like this

OTF_Crow
  • OTF_Crow

President of The Feared MC

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

F * ck Rockstar, after the which introduced such nonsense. Indeed, he could be an interesting topic of Lost MC, Angels of Death, etc. In this climate of California would fit biker gangs, like the Sons of Anarchy.

I was thinking more along the lines of Real Bikers out here in California

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

• Gummy  likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Someone here on the GTAForums used the execution mod on Trevor (dont remember his name):

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Have no fear, Olek is here! Mwahahaha...

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Someone here on the GTAForums used the execution mod on Trevor (dont remember his name):

That's Bonnano. Heh that inspires me to do something similiar =D

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

That hoodie makes Johnny look like a homeless man Lmfao.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Just a random Lost NPC... I call that one "goggle skinhead d-bag biker NPC", usually found in the clubhouse at night for some reason.

Ledsbourne
  • Ledsbourne

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

Well, considering he spends like 80% of TLAD story sleeping in the magazine room at the club house, then inherits a derelict ruined house filled with cockroaches and with bathrooms so messy they make me wanna puke just by imagining how much they smell, he can't be far from being a homeless man actually :p

• Jeansowaty and trailerparkboys420 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

Come think if it, I'd rather see Johnny get his head stopped in as opposed to getting hit by a speeding train driven by Luis.

"EY YO MANG, GET OUT OF MY WAY MANG, THAT ISN'T SUCH A GOOD IDEA MANG"

It's even sadder how one of the worst protagonists names is the Spanish equivalent of my dads name.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

Come think if it, I'd rather see Johnny get his head stopped in as opposed to getting hit by a speeding train driven by Luis.

It's even sadder how one of the worst protagonists names is the Spanish equivalent of my dads name.

You talk about your daddy a lot, is there anything you'd like to discuss? 

And at least Luis is a step up from Trevor, if only just mildly... I could picture him in an engineer's cap on the Liberty transit, though. 

• Donut likes this

d nice
  • d nice

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:21 AM

And at least Luis is a step up from Trevor, if only just mildly... I could picture him in an engineer's cap on the Liberty transit, though. 

'Cause he's a spic, amirite

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

'Cause he's a spic, amirite

THAS RACIST!11111!!11!11ONEENOENOE

• d nice likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

My dad left me at a shopping mall which I promptly burnt down

Spoiler
  • Drunken Cowboy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users