• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1,580 replies to this topic
Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

Nope having his head stomped in like he was a nobody mook who didn't matter is THE BEST way at making it evident the toll of those events had on him. You want to show how low a former protagonist has fallen have mowed down like mook. Johnny's death was perfectly inline with the story from the Los and the Damned, pathetic and meaningless.

Said by someone who clearly disliked Johnny precisely who this 'ending' was meant to appease. Thanks for confirming what I already knew.

Almost all of the protagonists could be summed up by pathetic and meaningless by that definition.

I wouldn't call him a mook but he met his demise in line with downfall of the Lost in the DLC. I don't think they were trying to appease anyone by killing off Johnny. They were making a statement. Nobody in the GTA universe is safe and Trevor Philips is a dangerous psychotic madman

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

I'd say Niko or Luis had more "meaningless" endings than Johnny.
Did Luis really grow or change in their adventure? Not really, he was Tony's bitch, got Tony out of trouble, and remained Tony's bitch.
Niko got no fulfillment from his revenge, and his own bad decisions got either his best friend or his love interest killed.
Johnny went through a journey of, well, "maturity". Saying goodbye to all the fun and good times, his former leader, the love of his life, all because they were "bad for him" and his true friends.
While I love Niko and think he is badass, I think him getting his head "meaninglessly" stomped in would probably make the most sense.

Niobium
  • Niobium

not banned Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Nope having his head stomped in like he was a nobody mook who didn't matter is THE BEST way at making it evident the toll of those events had on him. You want to show how low a former protagonist has fallen have mowed down like mook. Johnny's death was perfectly inline with the story from the Los and the Damned, pathetic and meaningless.

Said by someone who clearly disliked Johnny precisely who this 'ending' was meant to appease. Thanks for confirming what I already knew.

Almost all of the protagonists could be summed up by pathetic and meaningless by that definition.
I wouldn't call him a mook but he met his demise in line with downfall of the Lost in the DLC. I don't think they were trying to appease anyone by killing off Johnny. They were making a statement. Nobody in the GTA universe is safe and Trevor Philips is a dangerous psychotic madman

They could have said thr exact same thing without killing Johnny, Terry and Clay like mooks if they had just simply replaced them with random gangsters.

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:14 PM Edited by Jvaz615, 24 March 2014 - 09:16 PM.

Did Luis really grow or change in their adventure? Not really, he was Tony's bitch, got Tony out of trouble, and remained Tony's bitch.
Niko got no fulfillment from his revenge, and his own bad decisions got either his best friend or his love interest killed.
Johnny went through a journey of, well, "maturity". Saying goodbye to all the fun and good times, his former leader, the love of his life, all because they were "bad for him" and his true friends.
While I love Niko and think he is badass, I think him getting his head "meaninglessly" stomped in would probably make the most sense.

I would say the things you said about Johnny are exactly why it did make sense. And he didn't say goodbye to Ashley or the life obviously because look what has become of him in the 5 years since the events of TLAD. He's a shell of what he was. He wasn't the Johnny Klebitz of TLAD. He wasn't 230 lbs of rapidly approaching middle age. He was a meth addict. He was weak. He paid the price. His demons got the best of him

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Nah, because even if Roman or Kate died, he'd still have the one who didn't die.  So I imagine Niko is just living a happy life with whoever if left (Roman or Kate), and he gave up crime because he learned its not worth the risk, the hard way.  

Luis wasn't really Tony's bitch since without Tony, he wouldn't be where he was after getting out of prison.  Point is, none of the 3 protagonists should have been offed, especially in such a stupid way.  

• TheKillerDonuts likes this

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

They could have said thr exact same thing without killing Johnny, Terry and Clay like mooks if they had just simply replaced them with random gangsters.

Why would they use nameless faceless random gangsters? That would make absolutely zero impact on the player meeting Trevor for the first time. There's a reason why this whole event occurs during the first switch to Trevor. It was meant to basically punch the player in the face and say "hey guess what? This dude is not right in the head and we are gonna show you how f*cked up he is" and it also showed the finale of the downfall of Johnny. That was his final chapter

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

I disagree. Luis got Tony out of trouble because Luis was the one who got him trouble in the first place when he was the one who pissed off Bulgarin.

Niko got no fulfillment for his revenge, but he does come to a realization when he says "So this is whay the dream feels like... this is the victory we longed for..." He is basically saying, "This is the American Dream? That's it?" It shows how disappointed he is but he realizes the American Dream is basically a lie.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Why would they use nameless faceless random gangsters? That would make absolutely zero impact on the player meeting Trevor for the first time. There's a reason why this whole event occurs during the first switch to Trevor. It was meant to basically punch the player in the face and say "hey guess what? This dude is not right in the head and we are gonna show you how f*cked up he is" and it also showed the finale of the downfall of Johnny. That was his final chapter

Point is, there should have been no downfall of Johnny, since you play through TLAD, and see Johnny work so hard to move on, just to see he's back with Ashley again and is a meth head.

• Drunken Cowboy and Niobium like this

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Point is, there should have been no downfall of Johnny, since you play through TLAD, and see Johnny work so hard to move on, just to see he's back with Ashley again and is a meth head.

Again, I have to respectfully disagree. And this is just my opinion. After playing through TLAD, it's clear that everything Johnny has in his life has crumbled around him by the end. All of those events got the best of him. They wore him down to the point that he ran back to Ashley, got addicted to meth and finally was murdered by a psychopath

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

Nah, because even if Roman or Kate died, he'd still have the one who didn't die.  So I imagine Niko is just living a happy life with whoever if left (Roman or Kate), and he gave up crime because he learned its not worth the risk, the hard way.  

Luis wasn't really Tony's bitch since without Tony, he wouldn't be where he was after getting out of prison.  Point is, none of the 3 protagonists should have been offed, especially in such a stupid way.  

Well if you let Roman die, Kate actually dumps you shortly thereafter :)

And once again, for the ten trillionth time, the if you agree that GTA V is an accurate reflection of Johnny and the direction of his character, then you'd probably disagree to moving out west with Ashley and a drug habit.

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

Well if you let Roman die, Kate actually dumps you shortly thereafter :)

And once again, for the ten trillionth time, the if you agree that GTA V is an accurate reflection of Johnny and the direction of his character, then you'd probably disagree to moving out west with Ashley and a drug habit.

No disrespect but that makes no sense. Why is it hard to believe that Johnny fell on hard times after his whole world crumbled around him so he grabbed his girl and went west for a new start that apparently didn't go too well

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:43 PM Edited by Biohazard Abyss, 24 March 2014 - 11:44 PM.

No disrespect but that makes no sense. Why is it hard to believe that Johnny fell on hard times after his whole world crumbled around him so he grabbed his girl and went west for a new start that apparently didn't go too well

Because if Johnny went through hell, why would he return to the girl that puts him only through more hell?  Makes no sense.  It'd be like if Niko continued being a criminal after losing Kate/Roman.

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

Because if Johnny went through hell, why would he return to the girl that puts him only through more hell?  Makes no sense.  It'd be like if Niko continued being a criminal after losing Kate/Roman.

Because maybe he wasn't strong enough after all that happened. In a perfect world, Johnmy probably wouldn't have gone back to Ash or meth but this, and GTA, ain't a perfect world. It's a place where bad sh*t happens to people whether we like them or not

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

Because maybe he wasn't strong enough after all that happened. In a perfect world, Johnmy probably wouldn't have gone back to Ash or meth but this, and GTA, ain't a perfect world. It's a place where bad sh*t happens to people whether we like them or not

But it's also the fictional world of stealing train cars for Arab billionaires via helicopter and flying around on jetpacks stealing "strange goo" for hippies. I really f*cking doubt R* did what they did taking in the realism of the situation.

• B Dawg, TheKillerDonuts and Niobium like this

Jvaz615
  • Jvaz615

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:23 AM

But it's also the fictional world of stealing train cars for Arab billionaires via helicopter and flying around on jetpacks stealing "strange goo" for hippies. I really f*cking doubt R* did what they did taking in the realism of the situation.

And by saying that, you are contradictin yourself.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

And by saying that, you are contradictin yourself.

wat

• Niobium likes this

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

Johnny goes all the way out to Trevor's trailer, angrily confronts him, and then backs down and turns into a giant pussy who apologizes to Trevor.

That would be like this:

kbZDXnC.jpg

Johnny's scene in V is too out of character for him.  It doesn't work.  He didn't have much to lose at that point, so why the hell would he back down?  Meth addiction makes people act irrationally and prone to violence.  If anything, he would have attacked Trevor with no thought of the consequences. 

It's just a poorly written part of an overall weak story.

• B Dawg, gunziness, Ledsbourne and 7 others like this

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:30 PM Edited by CJ killed Ryder, 25 March 2014 - 05:30 PM.

Well, he still can go on killing sprees after losing Kate/Roman, haha!!! :)

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Fast Way To Live, Fast Way To Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

They went overkill. The IV era is depressing as is it, both Niko and Johnny losing what they loved most, his downfall was at the end of TLAD.

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:27 AM Edited by Dr. Robotnik, 26 March 2014 - 07:48 AM.

If anything, he would have attacked Trevor with no thought of the consequences.

This. Jim died in TLAD at least partially because Johnny was impulsive and unwilling to back down; if he hadn't stolen the two million from Ray Boccino and just given him his half, they probably would've just washed their hands of each other and Boccino wouldn't have had the incentive to go after the Lost.

It would have made far, far more sense for Johnny to angrily pick a fight with Trevor over some slight and get his head stomped in after trying to brawl with him, or show up at his trailer armed and unstable and die in a gunfight. Those deaths still would have been brutal and pointless, but odds are they would be seen as being more in line with his characterization than what we got. They could have even made a point of showing how 5 years had made him as crazy as Billy.

• B Dawg and TheKillerDonuts like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Fast Way To Live, Fast Way To Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

They could have even made a point of showing how 5 years had made him as crazy as Billy.

Terry and Clay: Dude, chill the f*ck out! Kill who you gotta kill, but get it out of your system.

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

Johnny goes all the way out to Trevor's trailer, angrily confronts him, and then backs down and turns into a giant pussy who apologizes to Trevor.

That would be like this:

kbZDXnC.jpg

Johnny's scene in V is too out of character for him.  It doesn't work.  He didn't have much to lose at that point, so why the hell would he back down?  Meth addiction makes people act irrationally and prone to violence.  If anything, he would have attacked Trevor with no thought of the consequences. 

It's just a poorly written part of an overall weak story.

Very funny pic!! :)

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:54 AM Edited by TensaZangetsu, 28 March 2014 - 03:20 AM.

Johnny gets him some revenge with a little help from the fellas

EDIT: Here's an even better one!

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

If Johnny was getting angry at Trevor for a different reason other than him f*cking Ashley, for example him getting angry at Trevor for getting Ashley back on meth, then he would be a bit less out of character (just a bit).

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

The bikers in TLAD always used to say 'Let's go piss on something mainstream!'
And in the end, they get pissed on by the mainstream GTA V. f*ck you R*.

Watch Steve Haine's show to see how many f*cks Rockstar gives about the Lost MC.

Spoiler
  • Gummy , TheKillerDonuts and Drunken Cowboy like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Although I'm not into gangs (unless they're white gabber trash), they could have at least given Grove Street, the families, whatever you call the green gang a bad rep. Perhaps Franklin should have been a Ballas guy who ended up killing all the green guys. I'm not sure why they put the San Andreas fanboys on a pedastol while the Lost & Damned fans get it in the sh*tter. I can imagine it'd be the same way if you played LCS before you play III, what with seeing the fall of the Leones, but you don't see people doing that a lot now do you?

In the end, I think it'd just be a lot better making a proper biker game, rather than waiting for Rockstar to make another full Lost & Damned, or something above and beyond it. 

• B Dawg and Drunken Cowboy like this

123tm123
  • 123tm123

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

His death was atrocious, but what do you expect? Rainbows everywhere? Trevor to have a jet fight with him while Johnny drives a bike off a helicopter? A fight where Johnny becomes a mech and he destroys Los Santos? It's a f*cking criminal life, he gets a low beat ending scenario in the middle of nowhere with dirty boot stains on his brain. What the hell guys, are you seriously saying they should probably bury him and have a ceremony? He was a dead beat piece of sh*t meth head biker that was killed by another criminal. What's more satisfying to a psycho when he is angry and wants to kill someone? Obviously smashing his brains all over the ground instead of shooting him or something. Also meth is one hell of a drug. Not everyone becomes a pussy after the addiction, but Johnny did, end of story.

I don't see people being pissed about Vic Vance's death. Besides Luis learned to keep his f*cking mouth shut and so did Niko, that's why they aren't dead and this cowboy here is.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:35 AM Edited by universetwisters, 01 April 2014 - 02:35 AM.

His death was atrocious, but what do you expect? Rainbows everywhere? Trevor to have a jet fight with him while Johnny drives a bike off a helicopter? A fight where Johnny becomes a mech and he destroys Los Santos? It's a f*cking criminal life, he gets a low beat ending scenario in the middle of nowhere with dirty boot stains on his brain. What the hell guys, are you seriously saying they should probably bury him and have a ceremony? He was a dead beat piece of sh*t meth head biker that was killed by another criminal. What's more satisfying to a psycho when he is angry and wants to kill someone? Obviously smashing his brains all over the ground instead of shooting him or something. Also meth is one hell of a drug. Not everyone becomes a pussy after the addiction, but Johnny did, end of story.

I don't see people being pissed about Vic Vance's death. Besides Luis learned to keep his f*cking mouth shut and so did Niko, that's why they aren't dead and this cowboy here is.

I'm going to go off on a whim and assume you didn't read the rest of the thread?

I'll admit, it's silly to see people complain on a gaming forum about a character's death, but I'm not in the position to throw stones at glass houses, seeing as I'm a bit upset as to how Johnny just popped in to show the audience how crazy Trevor is. Sure, they could show him eating a hitchiker alive with steak sauce, but no. They ended up making him kill what (to him) is a random biker in some mad for power "manifest destiny"-esque expansion for his criminal business. As spontaneous Trevor is, I wish they could have expanded on his story a bit, preferably replacing the O'Neil's with the Lost MC. Imagine Johnny telling the rest of the crew that Trevor's going to burn down his meth lab they set up in some old farmhouse and after some conflict between the two later (the bikers could kill Floyd instead of Trevor killing him?), Trevor and Johnny have an actual fight. But that would leave the question as to who Trevor would kill in his introductory mission.

Ortega. Nobody missed him, what with him showing up for a grand total of two minutes and all.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

Umg, the "realistic criminal life" argument again...

AGAIN... Airlifting metro cars for Arab Billionaires, stealing "goo" for hippies on your jetpack, flying a cropduster into the back of a moving AC-130...

I'm sure Rockstar's hellbent on their realistic depiction of the criminal world. 

• TheKillerDonuts likes this

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:32 AM Edited by Dr. Robotnik, 01 April 2014 - 05:42 AM.

Umg, the "realistic criminal life" argument again...

AGAIN... Airlifting metro cars for Arab Billionaires, stealing "goo" for hippies on your jetpack, flying a cropduster into the back of a moving AC-130...

I'm sure Rockstar's hellbent on their realistic depiction of the criminal world. 

In a more grounded setting, Ending C would have had an epilogue after the credits stating that Michael, Franklin, and Trevor were tracked down and killed after pissing off various criminal syndicates and government agencies with more resources and manpower.

Not that a lack of realism is necessarily a bad thing, I just wish the game was more consistent with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users