Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,857 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2585 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1012 votes [39.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.15%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (722 votes [27.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.93%

3. Indifferent (120 votes [4.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.64%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (307 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (424 votes [16.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote
suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

I hated the Super Drop Diamond, instead a 4,000 lb Rolls Royce, it felt like it weighed as much as a Miata and handled like one too. The Stinger still had a reasonable sense of mass and less body roll than the Presidente. It was exactly what I was expecting and hoping for in V. Seriously, that would have been perfect.

JoeM
  • JoeM

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Single player needs:

Car's need more wheel spin

Auto explode when you hit a leaf removing

4x4's to be better off road than supercars.

Car your driving to have more mass, can barely push a mini out of the way with a bus.

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:58 PM Edited by P2FX, 30 April 2014 - 03:23 PM.

So I've modified the Super Diamond's handling a little bit, anyone here wanna try it out?

SUPERD 2500.0 5.5 85 0.0 0.0 -0.22 0.0 6 0.23 1.0 160.0 0.25 0.68 0.5 36.0 1.35 1.10 13.5 0.15 0.47 1.4 0.9 0.9 0.15 -0.16 0.01 0.5 1.5 1.0 2.0 1.5 0.0 25000 00110010 00000000 0

Also the new limousine in TBoGT

LIMO2 2650.0 3.6 85 0.0 0.0 -0.18 0.0 6 0.18 1.0 140.0 0.3 0.58 0.7 37.5 1.1 0.90 15.0 0.15 0.47 1.5 1.0 1.0 0.15 -0.18 0.01 0.45 1.5 1.0 2.0 1.5 0.0 25000 00110010 00400000 0

(You need to change limo2's HandlingId to LIMO2 in the vehicles.ide then paste this new handling line into your handling.dat In alphabetical order)

• gunziness likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

I know I praise IV's driving and all but has anyone else noticed how absolutely rubbish the tranny's are in IV? I drive the Feltzer at least once a month and let all hell break loose every once in a while. I like to drift, powerslide, and watch the car struggle to gain traction during harsh takeoffs.

But when I powerslide into a corner, the car is like this. Before the powerslide ends the car sounds like *vroooom* but when you straighten yourself out the tranny acts up and the car sounds like *vravravravravravrahdjkehajjdjahfa* and then three seconds later it goes back to normal. It's so annoying and the car stutters and shakes whilst the transmission seeming struggles to figure out what its supposed to do. It's like, "This guy just finished doing a powerslide... hmmm, what am I supposed to do now...? This guy wants to drive normal...? Oh! I know! I'm supposed to be a transmission!"

It's even worse with other cars. Never have I seen this happen in other games. Its as if every transmission was piece a sh*t in IV.
  • suicidehummer likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

I know I praise IV's driving and all but has anyone else noticed how absolutely rubbish the tranny's are in IV? I drive the Feltzer at least once a month and let all hell break loose every once in a while. I like to drift, powerslide, and watch the car struggle to gain traction during harsh takeoffs.
But when I powerslide into a corner, the car is like this. Before the powerslide ends the car sounds like *vroooom* but when you straighten yourself out the tranny acts up and the car sounds like *vravravravravravrahdjkehajjdjahfa* and then three seconds later it goes back to normal. It's so annoying and the car stutters and shakes whilst the transmission seeming struggles to figure out what its supposed to do. It's like, "This guy just finished doing a powerslide... hmmm, what am I supposed to do now...? This guy wants to drive normal...? Oh! I know! I'm supposed to be a transmission!"
It's even worse with other cars. Never have I seen this happen in other games. Its as if every transmission was piece a sh*t in IV.

This sounds like most automatics I've driven.:p

Slush boxes is what I call them.
  • suicidehummer and Scaglietti like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Want me to cut you up and sell your organs?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

I remember that happening to me in races sometimes, without doing any powersliding.

CHILLI
  • CHILLI

Playa

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:36 PM Edited by CHILLI, 04 May 2014 - 02:37 PM.

GTA IV has the ability to manually change gears nearing the end of each gear. So basicly, you can even gear up prematurely a few RPMs before the intended gear change. The same can be used to prevent it from redlining for a bit.

The trick is as simple as letting go off the throttle for a split second, sort of like a reversed button tap but you let go instead of pressing. If the car was already about to redline and you dont do it right as it happens you might still lose some time, but nowhere near as much compared to if you dont gear up manually.

Also, going downhill and gearing up prematurely is a great way to gain speed quickly over those who dont on the same stretches of road.

While I'm not too sure, this might also be possible in V but I havent played it since new year so I dont remember.

• DrAnomalous likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

GTA IV has the ability to manually change gears nearing the end of each gear. So basicly, you can even gear up prematurely a few RPMs before the intended gear change. The same can be used to prevent it from redlining for a bit.

The trick is as simple as letting go off the throttle for a split second, sort of like a reversed button tap but you let go instead of pressing.

:^: I already do this and it works! But whenever I forget to do it, it's a real pain in the ass.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:31 AM

All GTAs have that. But V has something a little extra (at least on the XBOX controller) where your throttle is the trigger but you can also affect the transmission by pressing the A (or was it B?) button.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

You can do that in Forza too. It was just a good thing IV had it because the transmissions were really clunky.

I wish V had transmissions that really did work like dual cluthes. That would've been lovely. I love dual clutch transmissions to death.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Want me to cut you up and sell your organs?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

All GTAs have that.

No GTA before IV had actual gear changing. Here's an example from SA, you're driving top speed, you release the throttle for a milisecond and put your finger back, the car is reving up from lowest to highest RPM again. It's just audio. Sometimes there's even a bug where the reving is consistent/doesn't go any louder or quieter or anything despite changing speed.

• Scaglietti likes this

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

I was able to release throttle and get a gear change - not just audio for it. Some vehicles definitely more than others. So not only do I disagree, you're just wrong. ;)

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:35 PM Edited by Aragrox, 10 May 2014 - 12:54 AM.

The handling is different for online races but the same in single player & free roam.

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

If we have such driving handling in GTA 5...............?

With a few improvements, a better sense of speed, and less body roll, it would be lovely. Much better and much more full of life. In my opinion...

It is body roll that makes car handling in GTA IV just.....better !

Body roll causes all manner of handling issues, chief among which is understeer. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

^^ Why don't you just do your research first as opposed to the making things up?

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

the night we called it a day

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:30 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 13 May 2014 - 07:32 PM.

I've been playing through IV again, and though the driving is good, the biggest problem is that in certain cars when you corner too hard the car flips upside down (which is actually entertaining in a way). But I am having a lot of fun with the old handling.

I love how you could do handbrake turns in IV. In V the handbrake is completely useless to me.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

I've been playing through IV again, and though the driving is good, the biggest problem is that in certain cars when you corner too hard the car flips upside down (which is actually entertaining in a way). But I am having a lot of fun with the old handling.

I love how you could do handbrake turns in IV. In V the handbrake is completely useless to me.

:^: I agree. And yeah that happens to me a lot with the Sentinel. It's taller than it is wide, lol.

JwizeCC
  • JwizeCC

Still can't break my under world ties

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

Not going to lie I don't like the way cars speed. I wanted a greater sense of speed but not exactly like what was shown. I guess I'll prefer driving heavy slower cars in this game. Heard somebody say that it was hard to drive slow/cruise in the game and if so then that is a let down as I cruise like 24/7 to take in the vibe of the map and admire the car.

This. I also love just cruising and enjoying the city but in this game it isn't as easy. The cars are just a little too fast and turn too aggressively for me to enjoy it as much as IV.

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

:^: I agree. And yeah that happens to me a lot with the Sentinel. It's taller than it is wide, lol.

The Sentinel is just about my favourite car to drive in IV. It's the easiest car in the game to pull of all manners of driving, I'd say it's the best all rounder - If you want to advance your driving skill in IV, the Sentinel is a good place to start.

The Sentinel in V was one of the biggest letdowns for me. As well as the f*ck up in driving and looks, the omission of a proper XS (no window louvers) is disappointing.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:20 PM Edited by StingrayX, 16 May 2014 - 04:24 PM.

The Sentinel is just about my favourite car to drive in IV. It's the easiest car in the game to pull of all manners of driving, I'd say it's the best all rounder - If you want to advance your driving skill in IV, the Sentinel is a good place to start.

The Sentinel in V was one of the biggest letdowns for me. As well as the f*ck up in driving and looks, the omission of a proper XS (no window louvers) is disappointing.
The Sentinel in IV was a marvelous car and it was a very driver's focused car, even though the suspension looked like it provided some comfort for daily driver's. I loved how the car looked simple yet sophisticated, and how the handling was an absolute joy! The lack of ABS and the tendency to skid when cornering at high speeds didn't much bother me, I knew how to brake properly without ABS and I learned not to mash the joystick to the left or right when steering.

The Sentinel XS in V... eeuh- I liked it, but not that much. As far as looks go, it was pretty unexciting and lacked the overall presence that the beautiful BMW M3 e92, of which it is based on, had. The front fascia was decent, especially with the custom STD intercooler installed. The addition of carbon fiber pieces (the roof, the mirrors, the front splitter, et cetera...) was also decent. However, it seems like Rockstar ran out of ideas with the side profile. An extra air outlet would've been cool. What bothered me the most was the rear half of the side profile. Like, what were they thinking? It lacked personality. C-pillars play a huge role in the overall styling of a car but it seems like Rockstar didn't care. They basically copied the Sentinel Cabriolet's roof design that- well- only looks good on a convertible. So that really made the car look dull and the lack of intruing aesthetics also made the car look dull.

Then we get to the rear and it's the same story. There is no personality. And again, it's the same story with the performance. The Sentinel in IV was a fun car. This car though? It's slow, bland, not that fun to steer, and- it doesn't feel like- it just sucks.

I look back at what Rockstar used to be and then I look at what they are now. The old Rockstar is like the old Sentinel: Fun, detailed, and unforgettable. The new Rockstar is like the new Sentinel: Bland, overlooked, and kind of forgettable.

It's sad.
  • DrAnomalous, ainsz and ric4rd094 like this

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:50 AM

^^ Why don't you just do your research first as opposed to the making things up?

And why would I need to do research when what I say is irrefutable fact? 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Prove that it is a fact. I mean almost every car has some body roll.

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:27 AM

Vehicles whose suspension is configured for passenger comfort will increase the travel in the springs and thus allow the vehicle's weight to be transferred over to the side of the vehicle farthest away from the corner. The more weight and greater suspension travel, the more noticeable the effect becomes, causing some vehicles to be wildly unstable at high speeds. The NOOSE Patriot in GTA IV is a good example. Along with the Sabre. Vehicles that are front heavy are more prone to understeer than vehicles that are not, although it does happen. 

Vehicles that are performance orientated or have been modified with suspension modifications (especially if it's "Competition suspension") will not have as much body roll because the springs are shorter and therefore less body roll is produced when the car is cornering. Flatter cornering means less body roll which means better ability for the car to get grip (as well as opening the way for the fun world of oversteer for RWD vehicles). 

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:37 AM Edited by Agni, 20 May 2014 - 12:38 AM.

Yes, we get it. IV has SLIGHTLY too much body roll. But it is seriously not that bad.

By the way everyone: if you like IV's physics, I suggest picking up Watch_Dogs. The cars in that game seem to hew very close to IV, check this video out:

http://instagram.com/p/oLJ1QBopCo#

Look at how that car bounces on the bump in the road halfway through and then skids like an MR should when the suspension is fully compressed. And when it lands from jumping off the hill afterwards, the left takes the hit first and the weight transfers over making it subtly roll...damn, that's far closer to IV than any other OWG.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:29 AM

Vehicles whose suspension is configured for passenger comfort will increase the travel in the springs and thus allow the vehicle's weight to be transferred over to the side of the vehicle farthest away from the corner. The more weight and greater suspension travel, the more noticeable the effect becomes, causing some vehicles to be wildly unstable at high speeds. The NOOSE Patriot in GTA IV is a good example. Along with the Sabre. Vehicles that are front heavy are more prone to understeer than vehicles that are not, although it does happen. 

Vehicles that are performance orientated or have been modified with suspension modifications (especially if it's "Competition suspension") will not have as much body roll because the springs are shorter and therefore less body roll is produced when the car is cornering. Flatter cornering means less body roll which means better ability for the car to get grip (as well as opening the way for the fun world of oversteer for RWD vehicles).
:^: But what point were you trying to prove?

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

:^: But what point were you trying to prove?

That having excessive body roll was not better, as it made most of the cars in IV handle like crap. Of course, if people want to fluff around with camber, body roll and suspension, there's always Forza. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

Excessive body roll looked tacky but it did not lead to shoddy handling in IV, I don't know what you're on about. :v: I'd rather have body roll than no suspension at all *coughVcough* because it gives the car a more believable look when steering. I mean corner hard in V and you'll see that EVERY car remains flat. Doesn't that look god awful stupid?

• suicidehummer likes this

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Excessive body roll looked tacky but it did not lead to shoddy handling in IV, I don't know what you're on about. :v: I'd rather have body roll than no suspension at all *coughVcough* because it gives the car a more believable look when steering. I mean corner hard in V and you'll see that EVERY car remains flat. Doesn't that look god awful stupid?

Have you ever tried driving a Sabre (not the Turbo one but the non-performance one) or a Patriot? They had terrible handling and the latter had a tendency to roll at high speed (or even at moderate speeds if it was the NOOSE variant). As for "no body roll in GTA V" claim, there is. It's just not as blatantly unrealistic as it was in IV. Granted, Rockstar have seem to gone to different ends of the spectrum of this (rolling bouncy castle vs. road going jet fighter) but let's be honest. If you had IV's driving physics with everything else in this game, wouldn't it make things a lot worse? For once, cars actually handle properly, not feel as if they have the turning circle of a cruise liner.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

the night we called it a day

• Members
  • Barbados

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:38 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 20 May 2014 - 12:41 PM.

I sometimes like V's jet fighter cornering supercars, and sometimes I also like cornering too hard in IV in a Sentinel and rolling over. It depends on my mood. What objectively improved from IV to V is the speed of faster cars in a straight line.

I think next GTA R* will make a car handling that is inbetween V and IV in terms of difficulty of taking corners, but with even improved speed from V. That would be perfect for me. If you look at the major differences between IV and V then it seems as though R* is still looking for balance.

In IV because of the suspensions you could do a really silly slalom in a straight line without losing much speed. Suspensions weren't responsive enough.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Have you ever tried driving a Sabre (not the Turbo one but the non-performance one) or a Patriot? They had terrible handling and the latter had a tendency to roll at high speed (or even at moderate speeds if it was the NOOSE variant). As for "no body roll in GTA V" claim, there is. It's just not as blatantly unrealistic as it was in IV. Granted, Rockstar have seem to gone to different ends of the spectrum of this (rolling bouncy castle vs. road going jet fighter) but let's be honest. If you had IV's driving physics with everything else in this game, wouldn't it make things a lot worse? For once, cars actually handle properly, not feel as if they have the turning circle of a cruise liner.
Of course a Sabre or a Patriot handles terribly. Were you expecting Ferrari like precision?

You might as well say a 57 Cadillac El Dorado handles like a land yacht.
  • P2FX, DrAnomalous, suicidehummer and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users