Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,862 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2611 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1023 votes [39.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.18%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (730 votes [27.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.96%

3. Indifferent (121 votes [4.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (310 votes [11.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.87%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (427 votes [16.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote
suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:08 PM Edited by Andreas, 16 February 2014 - 10:21 AM. Removed quote-train.

I like how when you can't be bothered arguing with someone anymore, you just call them an idiot and tell them you can't be bothered with them.

Please go read the multiple posts where his uninformed views were repeatedly debunked. There's a huge difference between getting tired of explaining something to someone who refuses to listen and giving up because you know you're wrong. Don't butt in if you haven't even followed the discussion.
  • Scaglietti likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

Whether you like the driving or not is down to taste which is why I do think they should just make everybody happy and let people choose. Changing things from how they were in IV though was a smart business decision. That is all I am saying but people here don't understand that. At the end of the day Rockstar is a business and a smart business listens to customer complaints and the critics of IV whether they were the majority or not certainly shouted the loudest.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:25 AM Edited by Andreas, 16 February 2014 - 10:20 AM. Removed quote-train.

Changing the driving in IV was not a smart business decision you buffoon, the driving remaned under wraps until people got their hands on the game. Out of millions, only like 1k would give up V if it had IV driving physics.

Please go read the multiple posts where his uninformed views were repeatedly debunked. There's a huge difference between getting tired of explaining something to someone who refuses to listen and giving up because you know you're wrong. Don't butt in if you haven't even followed the discussion.

Don't pay him any mind as he always butts in. He doesn't know when its appropriate to just shut the f*ck up and keep his irrelevant views to himself. ;)

Mpower
  • Mpower

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

The only hope to fix the crappy handling is coming from the PC version.

• lucky4ever and P2FX like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:21 AM Edited by Andreas, 16 February 2014 - 10:19 AM. Removed quote-train.

Changing the driving in IV was not a smart business decision you buffoon, the driving remaned under wraps until people got their hands on the game. Out of millions, only like 1k would give up V if it had IV driving physics.

Don't pay him any mind as he always butts in. He doesn't know when its appropriate to just shut the f*ck up and keep his irrelevant views to himself. ;)

This thread is titled driving debate where people are encouraged to view their views regarding the driving. That is what I am doing. You don't need to insult me personally which I have never done to you.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

We're not strong, We're injustice strong !!!

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

I don't mind the driving that much, maybe GTA IV had better car physics but atleast in GTA V cars don't feel like boats. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

Are people serious now? I still find it disturbing how I can crash a vehicle at a very low speed and it manages to bounce or how turning at minimal speed still made your vehicle exaggeratedly lean to the side.....

I find it disturbing that you haven't a clue what PHYSICS are. I doubt anybody in this thread gives two cents about your opinion.

When you go very slow in bump in to a car in real life, you don't slide all over the place 

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:43 AM Edited by Andreas, 16 February 2014 - 10:18 AM. Removed IMG tag.

By the time SA came out it was clear they had a major hit on their hands and everybody knew it. GTA has been a mass market game ever since III came out. They took a somewhat different direction with IV which I happened to love but it was heavily criticized so they gave the audience what they said they wanted. Any smart company would do the same. I hate to tell you this but GTA has been very mainstream for a long time.

http://static3.wikia...60/Facepalm.png

You're not even worth responding to.

Did he/she just say the GTA 4 devolopers gave fans what they wanted? That's BS.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

All the sh*tty drivers saying "it would be too hard with realistic handling". It's Grand Theft AUTO. Running from the cops should be hard, and the driving should require skill and a learning curve.

No wonder there are so many sh*tty drivers on the road, they think real cars will handle like Need For Speed. Rockstar should go back to IV's handling and force these idiots to learn to drive properly.

Wait you think GTA V and need for speed are responsible for car accidents? What if I told you people got into car crashes before any driving video game was invented, and GTA IV nor did any realistic driving game didn't teach anyone to drive safely.

GTA_fear
  • GTA_fear

There's a tip jar, jackass!

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I don't mind the driving that much, maybe GTA IV had better car physics but atleast in GTA V cars don't feel like boats. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it.

Well, at least in GTA IV cars don't totally feel like boats, but only a bit, while in V they totally feel like carton boxes and it's pretty rubbish.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

Are people serious now? I still find it disturbing how I can crash a vehicle at a very low speed and it manages to bounce or how turning at minimal speed still made your vehicle exaggeratedly lean to the side.....

I find it disturbing that you haven't a clue what PHYSICS are. I doubt anybody in this thread gives two cents about your opinion.
When you go very slow in bump in to a car in real life, you don't slide all over the place
And you're implying that happens in IV? Do you even play IV? Shut up.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:25 AM

cool

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:27 AM

cool

Please post something more constructive than a single "cool" post.
  • namor likes this

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

Well, at least in GTA IV cars don't totally feel like boats, but only a bit, while in V they totally feel like carton boxes and it's pretty rubbish.

When I used the term cars feeling like boats, I meant they slide most time. I mean when you're driving in IV and hit the handbrake most of the time you slide out of control (Cars don't do that in real life) And when the roads are slippery it's like you're sliding down a water slide. I know it's a sort of hard to drive a car on slippery road in real life but in GTA IV it's a little fake  . No in V cars don't totally feel like carton boxes, the cars are just fast and arcady. But none of this matters because GTA IV and V are not driving simulators.

Sorry I misuderstood you, and yes I have played GTA 4. I honestly don't see the big deal, Most Video games sucks when they have too much realism.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

I played Mafia II again last week - and the option to chose between arcade and realistic driving is very nice. It´s a great way to please both sorts of players.

I wish Rockstar could include this into GTA V - because now it feels like the fantastic map is uninteresting to explore. This may sound strange to some, but in order to appreciate the surroundings I have to "believe" in the car I drive. As it is now, it feels like I am participating in a cartoon.

Talking about Mafia II - that engine sound!!!!! Wow.....

2K Czech did alot of things right with Mafia II in relation to the driving, I agree with you, the sound is good and the option to cater to two different groups of players is something that I appriciate alot, it shows not only that they care but it shows the importance of cars and driving in the game. Cars are characters themselves in games like this and R* has ignored that to some part in GTA V.

In Mafia II you can also clearly feel the weight of the cars (ok sometimes it is a bit easy to "fly" over small hills) and it adds tons to the experience when driving.

I had high hopes for the driving in GTA V but from the little I have played I am disapointed.

Now I am waiting for a announcement of Mafia III, hopefully.

I got to be honest and say that it amazes me in games like this that the developers do not use their chances to include more realism in driving when they spend so much time to create a realistic environment, to me it makes no sense to have the arcady feel in such a game.

Mafia 2 may have had better car physics,  but the overall gameplay was not better.The reason why mafia 2 did not get far was simply because too much realism sucks.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

OK R*, make GTA6 like the original Test Drive Unlimited, people can choose what type of driving aid they want. I remember in TDU's simplest setting all cars have ABS and ESP, tires have super grip, and almost no body roll. Change to sport setting tires have more reasonable grip and minimal body roll. In my favorite hardcore setting only modern cars have ESP, some older cars don't even have ABS. Grip is realistic, suspension feels nice, some bigger cars like the Chrysler 300C even handles a bit boat-like.

Never going to happen as GTA isnt and never will be a driving game. Its a open world game. Im sure that as much as R* want people to be happy with the driving mechanics that they aren't going to over complicate things for people who just want to roam and mess about.
Bullsh*t. It is not overly complicated to add two driving options. The game does not need to be a driving game to have driving options. GTA is not a shooter game yet it has gun options and easy/hard options.

Stupid comment

I have no idea what's the problem. GTA 4 and 5 both have their problems when it  comes to a few things, but we have to remember GTA 5 is just a video game. Rockstar did not create it to be real. We both know GTA 4 may have better had car physics, but the driving is not that realistic too. What I'm trying to say is GRAND THEFT AUTO IS NEVER GOING TO HAVE REALISTIC DRIVING. IF THEY DID THEN THE GAME WOULD SUCK.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

cool

Please post something more constructive than a single "cool" post.

I just honestly believe people need to realize that GTA V wasn't meant to be a driving simulator. If GTA 5 and 4 had real life car physics in it, they would be trash.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

GTA IS a driving game. It's called Grand Theft AUTO, not "Assault with a Deadly Weapon". It's a free roam game that centers on cars as a mode of transportation. Clearly, IV showed what Rockstar wanted the game to be, and because of all the whining children and immature adults on the internet, they caved on V. Of course the IV haters will outnumber us on the internet because idiots will always be in the majority. Those of us with discerning taste got screwed.

In fact, I would actually say GTA is one of the better driving games. I've never gotten into Gran Turismo that much because you're limited to tracks and there's no damage modeling. GTA does free roam driving better than any dedicated driving game, too. For example TDU, Horizon, Burnout Paradise, etc.

Hell, even SA had better driving physics than V in some ways. You didn't just pop onto curbs like an RC car, they actually had suspensions. And trucks/vans actually handled like they should. It's quite astounding Rockstar could f*ck it up so bad and nobody seems to care.

San Andreas does not have better driving physics than V and GTA  was created to be an open world game . GTA 4's car physics were great but they were not so realistic. Besides GTA games are not driving simulators. 

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

I like the driving in GTA V, I liked it in GTA IV too. I think a lot of people (IV driving fans and V driving fans) just need to learn how to adapt and have fun with other driving games. Not every game is gonna handle like GTA IV or GTA V, the driving will change with every game.

You're right.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

That's why SA is better! Driving isn't too arcade or realistic.

SA's driving was complete garbage stop fanboying.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:50 AM Edited by The Odyssey, 17 February 2014 - 09:51 AM.

I was going to give you a chance after I said you just told everyone to shut up and I admit I came off as a bit harsh, but this proves that you consistently silence people who you think are wrong.

Telling people to shut up and saying their opinions are meaningless is not constructive.

GTA_fear
  • GTA_fear

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

When I used the term cars feeling like boats, I meant they slide most time. I mean when you're driving in IV and hit the handbrake most of the time you slide out of control (Cars don't do that in real life) And when the roads are slippery it's like you're sliding down a water slide. I know it's a sort of hard to drive a car on slippery road in real life but in GTA IV it's a little fake  . No in V cars don't totally feel like carton boxes, the cars are just fast and arcady. But none of this matters because GTA IV and V are not driving simulators.

Yes, cars in IV do slide a bit too much and have exaggerated body roll - this is why we always say that IV only needs a few tweaks and fixes and it would be perfect. Instead, Rockstar went too far to the opposite end and made what they made.

In GTA V, it's a lot fake.

And it does matter. Just because it's not a driving simulator, doesn't mean R* shouldn't improve on things. If it didn't matter, then we could apply that argument to all aspects of the game - it's not an FPS, it's not an RPG, it's not a life simulator - it's an open world / sandbox game, Rockstar should only improve on the map size.
  • suicidehummer likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I was going to give you a chance after I said you just told everyone to shut up and I admit I came off as a bit harsh, but this proves that you consistently silence people who you think are wrong.
Telling people to shut up and saying their opinions are meaningless is not constructive.
Explaining myself over and over isn't either. I get the impression that many people, including who I recently responded to, are just making claims without observations. The dude implied that when you ram a car at a slow speed in IV, you'll slip all over the place. For christ sake's, any dork can play IV right now, ram somebody at a slow speed, and see that that clearly isn't true. When I slowly ram a car in IV in a "boat" like a Cognoscenti, I stop for the most part and the car I hit rolls unless they hit the brake. Similar to what may happen in real life albeit this isn't supposed to be an ultra-realism argument.

If anything, ramming in V is more unrealistic. The way police cars rubberband whilst in a chase and hit you with tremendous force is just borderline retarded. Inconsistency is evident too because if you go like 40mph and run into the back of a car, it will be like ramming a car sized brick that that is really thick.

I could have said that in my reply to him, but wasting my breath, if you will, on ignoramus newbies who clearly are being ridiculous is worthless. Some people online are just blatantly stupid.

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

I played Mafia II again last week - and the option to chose between arcade and realistic driving is very nice. It´s a great way to please both sorts of players.

I wish Rockstar could include this into GTA V - because now it feels like the fantastic map is uninteresting to explore. This may sound strange to some, but in order to appreciate the surroundings I have to "believe" in the car I drive. As it is now, it feels like I am participating in a cartoon.

Talking about Mafia II - that engine sound!!!!! Wow.....

2K Czech did alot of things right with Mafia II in relation to the driving, I agree with you, the sound is good and the option to cater to two different groups of players is something that I appriciate alot, it shows not only that they care but it shows the importance of cars and driving in the game. Cars are characters themselves in games like this and R* has ignored that to some part in GTA V.

In Mafia II you can also clearly feel the weight of the cars (ok sometimes it is a bit easy to "fly" over small hills) and it adds tons to the experience when driving.

I had high hopes for the driving in GTA V but from the little I have played I am disapointed.

Now I am waiting for a announcement of Mafia III, hopefully.

I got to be honest and say that it amazes me in games like this that the developers do not use their chances to include more realism in driving when they spend so much time to create a realistic environment, to me it makes no sense to have the arcady feel in such a game.

Mafia 2 may have had better car physics,  but the overall gameplay was not better.The reason why mafia 2 did not get far was simply because too much realism sucks.

The reasons Mafia II is not very successful are the story feels half finished, peds' animation looks robotic, no steering wheel support (wasted the awesome vehicle physics) and no free ride mode. The game isn't that realistic.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

And why exactly was it garbage?

@above Mafia II has annoying black people, you can't rob a place without a black dude pulling a gun on you :panic: wtf!?

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

Yes, cars in IV do slide a bit too much and have exaggerated body roll - this is why we always say that IV only needs a few tweaks and fixes and it would be perfect. Instead, Rockstar went too far to the opposite end and made what they made.

And it does matter. Just because it's not a driving simulator, doesn't mean R* shouldn't improve on things. If it didn't matter, then we could apply that argument to all aspects of the game - it's not an FPS, it's not an RPG, it's not a life simulator - it's an open world / sandbox game, Rockstar should only improve on the map size.

No it does not matter because the driving is not so bad. All you have to do is adapt to the driving which is not hard at all. In both games I've adapted to both driving easily with out complaing about V's arcadish driving and IV's realistic driving.

What do you mean Rockstar should work on the map size it's big enough.

IDAS Leader
  • IDAS Leader

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

And why exactly was it garbage?

@above Mafia II has annoying black people, you can't rob a place without a black dude pulling a gun on you :panic: wtf!?

The cars taking forever to speed up, lack of some sort of realism, the car's got damage way to easily, the breaking was more tighter than V's, when it tilts over the car it explodes, I could go on forever. SA physics and realism sucked learn it.

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:29 AM Edited by suicidehummer, 18 February 2014 - 05:31 AM.

All the sh*tty drivers saying "it would be too hard with realistic handling". It's Grand Theft AUTO. Running from the cops should be hard, and the driving should require skill and a learning curve.

No wonder there are so many sh*tty drivers on the road, they think real cars will handle like Need For Speed. Rockstar should go back to IV's handling and force these idiots to learn to drive properly.

Wait you think GTA V and need for speed are responsible for car accidents? What if I told you people got into car crashes before any driving video game was invented, and GTA IV nor did any realistic driving game didn't teach anyone to drive safely.

Ok, first of all, stop spamming this thread with multiple replies to random older comments.

Second, no, that's not what I said, that's just what you read into it. The problem is idiots who don't understand the physics involved in driving, who have obviously existed since the invention of cars. However, games like NFS reinforce these idiots' lack of knowledge and make them believe that real cars can handle like that. There is no doubt in my mind that the same dumb kids who played NFS are the same ones racing their Maximas on the interstate as if they're proper race cars and not family sedans and endangering innocent civilians. Street racing is for tools. Anyone with half a brain and respect for their fellow man will take it to a f*cking track.

Also, realistic driving games like Gran Turismo have taught thousands (if not more) of people how to drive better than they would have otherwise. There are even gamers who have gone on to become professional drivers from these games, so you could not be more wrong on that one.

San Andreas does not have better driving physics than V and GTA  was created to be an open world game . GTA 4's car physics were great but they were not so realistic. Besides GTA games are not driving simulators. 

In many ways, it absolutely does. For one, the cars in SA had suspensions and didn't just pop onto curbs. They also had a certain amount of body roll, not unlike IV (ever driven a Cabbie?). Your other points have already been discredited so just read the last few pages, I'm not going to waste my breath.

• B Dawg likes this

GTA_fear
  • GTA_fear

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

No it does not matter because the driving is not so bad. All you have to do is adapt to the driving which is not hard at all. In both games I've adapted to both driving easily with out complaing about V's arcadish driving and IV's realistic driving.

What do you mean Rockstar should work on the map size it's big enough.

It is not hard to adapt to it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's bad. IV's driving was a lot more unique, less generic and more sophisticated and advanced. Some people here have recognised this and that's why they / we are complaining about GTA going for the generic, boring, please-the-masses driving in its latest instalment. And some people refuse to adapt and be dumbed down.

Today's mainstream music isn't hard to adapt to. That doesn't make it any good.

And about the second part of your comment - I didn't really mean that, read my comment again.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I have indeed adapted to V's driving. That is irrelevant as hell though, because it does not mean the driving is favorable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users