Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,680 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2432 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (959 votes [39.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.43%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (674 votes [27.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.71%

3. Indifferent (112 votes [4.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (289 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (398 votes [16.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote
DaltonVirago
  • DaltonVirago

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:51 PM Edited by DaltonVirago, 03 February 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Yeah wrong ones

....holy sh*t you're dumb. By nature, an opinion CAN'T be wrong. And even if you're just trying to be cute, shut the f*ck up. So you suck at driving in GTA V, big deal, either learn to get better or sell the game. Either way quit whining like a pussy.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Oh yeah and what the actual f*ck, 39% ? Rockstar is that you? I cannot even comprehend this statistic, you're all retarded, yes its subjective and you all have your own opinions, but you're retarded... How can you even think that it is fun, blows my f*cking mind

Not everybody likes what you like. Those who have contrasting opinions towards yours are not retarded. This is coming from somebody who does not really enjoy V's driving physics.

OT: The only way to make sure that neither side would be left out to dry would be for Rockstar to create options for semi-realistic physics and arcade physics. I hope that is what Rockstar does with GTA 6. GTA's have such huge fanbases and changing the vehicle handling drastically will effect almost one half of the fanbase and that is what happened with V. One side is satisfied and the other is screwed unless they adapt, and some like me are too picky to do so even after I tried to for 3 months.

Its almost stupid to not have options for a specific style of such a big feature like driving or shooting or et cetera. For casual players, they get auto-aim. For more hardcore players, they get free-aim. But every gamer gets the same vehicle handling and some hate it and some love it. Why not make options for that?
  • THEBIGZED likes this

DaltonVirago
  • DaltonVirago

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Its almost stupid to not have options for a specific style of such a big feature like driving or shooting or et cetera. For casual players, they get auto-aim. For more hardcore players, they get free-aim. But every gamer gets the same vehicle handling and some hate it and some love it. Why not make options for that?

I'm no programmer, so I could be wrong here, but I imagine turning auto-aim on and off would be a LOT less difficult than creating two (or more) sets of driving physics, or allowing players to fine tune the physics to their liking. It would probably also create more trouble with MP matching, and (for GOD KNOWS what reason) Rockstar seems hellbent on focusing on MP more than anything.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Episodes from San Liberty

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

I'm no programmer, so I could be wrong here, but I imagine turning auto-aim on and off would be a LOT less difficult than creating two (or more) sets of driving physics, or allowing players to fine tune the physics to their liking. It would probably also create more trouble with MP matching, and (for GOD KNOWS what reason) Rockstar seems hellbent on focusing on MP more than anything.
Mafia 2 had driving options. GTA on PC you can easily change things, and f*ck MP.

blowtorchrepair
  • blowtorchrepair

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

this game sucks... I'll still play it almost nightly for the next five years, but it sucks and so does the developer.

and if anyone knows what GTA is supposed to really be all about then is is certainly the pillow biting fans on this site and is most certainly NOT the creators and developers of the game.

:D

I sure wouldn't devote that much time to playing a game that sucks.

I wasn't being entirely serious...  or serious in any measurable way, really....

DaltonVirago
  • DaltonVirago

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Mafia 2 had driving options. GTA on PC you can easily change things, and f*ck MP.

I didn't know that. And I agree with the last part, but I felt like my post kind of implied that.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

I could see them running into obstacles with the driving options in MP- oh wait no. There are separate lobbies for auto-aim and separate lobbies for free-aim. A lobby for semi-arcade and a lobby for semi-realism would work out well then. Its not too complicated. I'm not asking for tuning the driving to your exact liking, just two options. Slightly tweaked V physics and slightly tweaked IV physics.

TDU created a more realistic handling DLC and it worked fine albeit it felt like a beta since you could not do career races with the option on.

Jack_Kane
  • Jack_Kane

Grove Street Muscle

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

Having Just completed GTA IV one of the things that struck me was that driving is a pain. I then went onto GTA V today and started driving and I nearly got a hard on, it felt that good driving, I have never had so much fun driving in a computer game than in GTA V, and fun, I believe is why I bought the game for £55. Please do not go back to GTA IV driving I can not believe people would want such a thing. Surely, play gran turismo for those authentic terribly hard to control real driving moments, or better yet, go and drive a real car, I want to do insane stunts and fly my car thorugh the air, not really drive, jeez.

• OneManCrimeWave and IDAS Leader like this

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

Grid is a great example of physics that would work in GTA. Actually, IV wasn't that far from it, with just a little lower cornering limits and more body roll. I thought the body roll was cool because very few games even bother with it.

If V had the same physics as IV (like I was expecting) it would have been the best game ever made IMHO. I would probably have played it twice as much, and I literally wouldn't be able to pull myself away from it.

Rockstar is a company and when a product recieves as massive a backlash as IV did they will change it. V has sold more in five months than IV has in five years so it has payed off. It is still the number one download on PSN so I don't blame them for changing things.

Massive backlash? No, it was just a lot of babies whining because it was too hard for them. Like most idiots they were just the loudest and thus got their voices heard. You pointed out that V outsold IV, which is just proving my point, that it was dumbed down for the masses. Leave the absurd kiddy sh*t to Saints Row, GTA is about gritty realism. And IV still broke records when it was released, so its not like a return to realism would make the next game a failure.

• Blingy, P2FX and Scaglietti like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:08 AM

Grid is a great example of physics that would work in GTA. Actually, IV wasn't that far from it, with just a little lower cornering limits and more body roll. I thought the body roll was cool because very few games even bother with it.

If V had the same physics as IV (like I was expecting) it would have been the best game ever made IMHO. I would probably have played it twice as much, and I literally wouldn't be able to pull myself away from it.

Rockstar is a company and when a product recieves as massive a backlash as IV did they will change it. V has sold more in five months than IV has in five years so it has payed off. It is still the number one download on PSN so I don't blame them for changing things.

Massive backlash? No, it was just a lot of babies whining because it was too hard for them. Like most idiots they were just the loudest and thus got their voices heard. You pointed out that V outsold IV, which is just proving my point, that it was dumbed down for the masses. Leave the absurd kiddy sh*t to Saints Row, GTA is about gritty realism. And IV still broke records when it was released, so its not like a return to realism would make the next game a failure.

It was way more than just some babies whining. Go to any gaming forum and search before V came out and they hated IV and constantly said Saints Row was better. They really hated it so R took that it into account when they made V. It's business 101. If a product is poorly received you don't do the same thing again. 

GTA has always been a game for the masses. It was never some niche elitist game that only appealed to a select few.

• Officer Ronson likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:26 AM

You're full of it woggleman, Iv's driving was either love it or hate it with these people pre-release. I saw hate and praise everywhere and I was a critic too because I thought the body roll was too excessive.

Rockstar should have kept sticking to their standards rather than changing things due to bitching. The only requests they should have listened to were the setting requests.

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:38 AM Edited by suicidehummer, 04 February 2014 - 04:38 AM.

It was way more than just some babies whining. Go to any gaming forum and search before V came out and they hated IV and constantly said Saints Row was better. They really hated it so R took that it into account when they made V. It's business 101. If a product is poorly received you don't do the same thing again. 

GTA has always been a game for the masses. It was never some niche elitist game that only appealed to a select few.

Again, you're just proving my point. You can go to any forum and find tons of random idiots whining about IV because there is an endless supply of dumb people who can't drive for sh*t. Anyone who says Saints Row is better is clearly an idiot, so why would Rockstar care what they think? Instead of following through on their vision and making the game they wanted to (like IV), they watered it down for the masses. If your favorite band made a watered down pop album, but it went platinum, would you say the same thing? Games are art. Artists don't crowd source their work. Art shouldn't be bound by the rules of Business 101 (which is bullsh*t as well, everyone with an MBA thinks they know everything about economics and they don't).

IV was NOT poorly received. I'll say it again to get it through your thick skull, it made record sales. And it got positive reviews all around. Of course it's predecessor will outsell it, that's been true for every GTA. By that measure IV was WAY better than SA, which I doubt you would agree with.

GTA has not always been a game for the masses. The first couple were not big hits, and III wasn't even expected to be a hit, they just had a vision and followed through on it. Read any interview about the development of it. They were genuinely surprised how big it got.

• PulpFiction, P2FX, Ermacs and 1 other like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

By the time SA came out it was clear they had a major hit on their hands and everybody knew it. GTA has been a mass market game ever since III came out. They took a somewhat different direction with IV which I happened to love but it was heavily criticized so they gave the audience what they said they wanted. Any smart company would do the same. I hate to tell you this but GTA has been very mainstream for a long time.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Original Gangster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

Jack_Kane. That's some poor advice. What happened to subjectivity? Just because you find it to be pain doesn't mean others do. I honestly thought that by now and 4 playthroughs of GTA V the driving would've grown on me, but it hasn't.

There are times when it feels ok and others where it feels vehicles have the most basic and dumbed down driving characteristics in any video game. Everytime I race in GTA IV I love it because I know while it's not overly realistic I can get a decent sense of control without having the game hold my hand.

Races in GTA V bore the sh*t out of me to be honest. They feel like a Midnight Club/Need For Speed lovechild. 

• P2FX and Scaglietti like this

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

Jack_Kane. That's some poor advice. What happened to subjectivity? Just because you find it to be pain doesn't mean others do. I honestly thought that by now and 4 playthroughs of GTA V the driving would've grown on me, but it hasn't.

There are times when it feels ok and others where it feels vehicles have the most basic and dumbed down driving characteristics in any video game. Everytime I race in GTA IV I love it because I know while it's not overly realistic I can get a decent sense of control without having the game hold my hand.

Races in GTA V bore the sh*t out of me to be honest. They feel like a Midnight Club/Need For Speed lovechild. 

You should try the sea races in GTA Online.  While playing them, I got this nostalgic rush for the car handling in IV.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:49 PM Edited by StingrayX, 04 February 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Having Just completed GTA IV one of the things that struck me was that driving is a pain. I then went onto GTA V today and started driving and I nearly got a hard on, it felt that good driving, I have never had so much fun driving in a computer game than in GTA V, and fun, I believe is why I bought the game for £55. Please do not go back to GTA IV driving I can not believe people would want such a thing. Surely, play gran turismo for those authentic terribly hard to control real driving moments, or better yet, go and drive a real car, I want to do insane stunts and fly my car thorugh the air, not really drive, jeez.

You really made my day! :lol:
@above: You didn't, you're a terrible joker. :p
  • namor likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

I wouldn't go quite as far as to say Midnight Club but GTA V's handling has grown on me over time and I didn't even hate it to begin with it was just the fact that is was a big change from GTA IV. I loved the driving during races in GTA IV although at times during missons or when just cruising around it felt a bit of a chore at times whereas it seems to have reversed in GTA V. I still love racing in GTA V but it doesn't take as much practice or skill as it did in GTA IV, whereas driving during missions and just roaming about is much more fun for me in GTA V than GTA IV.

I said it shortly after GTA V was released that I think GTA VI driving mechanics should be somewhere in the middle of what GTA IV and GTA V driving mechanics where as that may please alot of people.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

I have no idea why, but driving in missions for V felt like a chore. Maybe because there is no joy in driving slow in V, it feels dull and numb. I often rushed those driving missions in V even when I got to drive Dave's sexy ass Oracle II.

GTA_fear
  • GTA_fear

Think of a yellow rubber duck!

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Today I promised myself not to play a motorcycle race in GTA Online ever again. Explanation is not needed, I'm sure you'll all agree.
  • Scaglietti likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Today I promised myself not to play a motorcycle race in GTA Online ever again. Explanation is not needed, I'm sure you'll all agree.

Not really?

I'm not the biggest fan of motorbikes in any GTA game but I dont mind racing them in GTA V as it is alot more fun than it was to race them in GTA IV.

• IDAS Leader likes this

GTA_fear
  • GTA_fear

Think of a yellow rubber duck!

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

In short, they're disgusting.
  • P2FX likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

The motorcycles in V suck majorly. IV had mediocre bike handling, TBoGT actually got it right, and V just stooped so f*cking low that I don't even like to see NPCs drive bikes because it looks like rubbish. The bikes do not even tilt when you turn hard, and going quick in one is utter sh*t.
  • Blingy, P2FX and GTA_fear like this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

Grumpy-Cat-Says-No.jpg

This is the biggest B.S. i've seen in this thread yet.

• GTA_fear, Scaglietti and IDAS Leader like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Indeed. Approximately half of the fanbase was at least disappointed with IVs driving but half of them got over it and I am sure not a lot of them thought, "Oh Saints Rows is better because IV has sh*tty driving physics". This forum and a lot of GTA fans are notorious for Saints Row hate and I am sure not that many people who switched to SR did it because of the driving. I mean IVs may not be good to them but god damn SR had driving that was unbearably stupid and felt like Mario Cart.
  • Blingy likes this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Indeed. Approximately half of the fanbase was at least disappointed with IVs driving but half of them got over it and I am sure not a lot of them thought, "Oh Saints Rows is better because IV has sh*tty driving physics". This forum and a lot of GTA fans are notorious for Saints Row hate and I am sure not that many people who switched to SR did it because of the driving. I mean IVs may not be good to them but god damn SR had driving that was unbearably stupid and felt like Mario Cart.

I guess the minority was the majority :/

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

By the time SA came out it was clear they had a major hit on their hands and everybody knew it. GTA has been a mass market game ever since III came out. They took a somewhat different direction with IV which I happened to love but it was heavily criticized so they gave the audience what they said they wanted. Any smart company would do the same. I hate to tell you this but GTA has been very mainstream for a long time.

Facepalm.png

You're not even worth responding to.

• Scaglietti and IDAS Leader like this

SirKillOfJoy
  • SirKillOfJoy

Mr

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

Well this topic divides opinion as much as any other, MHO is that after playing GTA San Andreas for countless years, when IV came along I hated the driving so much I never bought the game so to me V is far superior. Its a driving game and if the drive aint right for you then try a different game. TBH I`d have loved if they done a re-working of San Andreas  much like they did with Halo CE anniversary edition. Im sure I aint alone on that ;)

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:45 PM

Of course many GTA fans hate SR because 2 and 3 were the first open world crime games to actually give GTA some real competition. They were also great games though I didn't like IV. 

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Of course many GTA fans hate SR because 2 and 3 were the first open world crime games to actually give GTA some real competition. They were also great games though I didn't like IV. 

Yeah........ no.

Saints Row has never even been close to challenge GTA for its crown as the best open world crime game. Plus what you said has nothing to do with the topic.

Well this topic divides opinion as much as any other, MHO is that after playing GTA San Andreas for countless years, when IV came along I hated the driving so much I never bought the game so to me V is far superior. Its a driving game and if the drive aint right for you then try a different game. TBH I`d have loved if they done a re-working of San Andreas  much like they did with Halo CE anniversary edition. Im sure I aint alone on that ;)

Yes GTA IV driving was totally different to what it was in GTA SA but for me that was a good thing. It did take some time to get used to driving in GTA IV if you had spent alot of time driving in GTA VC or any of the other GTA 3D era games. If you had the type of driving of GTA SA in GTA IV then it would of never of worked and wouldn't of felt right. For me I think the best option is to be somehwere in the middle of the GTA IV and GTA V's driving mechanics.

As for a re working of the original 3D San Andreas game................ f*cking no.

• suicidehummer and Insincere like this

X_AFRO_X
  • X_AFRO_X

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

And I told you exactly why they feel the same. The suspension doesn't react realistically to each surface. You're shifting the goalposts because you cant come up with a good argument to what I said.

I'm shifting the goal posts despite saying the same exact thing? Nice try.

They're not exactly the same, and where did the game state it was going for realism in this one? Why did you bring up real world driving in relation to a game that isn't a driving sim? It's a game, it's not meant to be real, so complaints of realism are pointless.

I dont want it to be 100% real but IV with cars that handled differently and actually took damage when you crashed and required some skill to drive was way more fun than just holding the throttle down the entire time and just pointing the stick in the direction you want to go.  Driving a car that virtually indestructible and can drive on any terrain easily is pretty boring unless your 13 and just want to drive around and run over and shoot people and dont want to actually learn how to drive when each vehicle acts differently and handles different terrain differently. 

<Snipped. go to post 645 to read the whole post please, it brings the context right in. Snipped>

Before you had to pay attention and drive carefully adjusting your speed for traffic and curves, now you just hold the throttle to the floor hit the brakes and go from 100 mph to 20 almost instantly and ebrake on corners and hit whatever you want cause it doesnt matter, BORING! I really miss the driving aspect of the driving centric game and judging by all the posts complaining about it most other do too.

Okay, after reading through more of this thread, and playing more V, I cant defend this model.

*Munching big Crow* Nom-Nom!

This drive model is pretty much Midnight Club DUB-Edition. Only now you can play with the cars from GTA V. And while I had a blast on that game, its were I get taken to when I drive on this game.. I think that was why I thought it was passable when  I first was playing the game, and subsequently posted in this thread initially. For that I apologize deeply.

I understand now the "Realism" argument. (Suspension, Velocity, Weight, and SPEED, Tires/Terrain, engine HP, ) and why those elements were critical for driving well in IV. and why there are so many disappointed (to the point of rage-quit)  about the BLATANT disregard to that aspect of the "Driving-Force" of this V version. and furthermore, ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO CHANGE/FIX IT! no choice to let the n00bs be newbie drivers on "Driver-Assist-Mode" and let the Mature Drivers (that was being cultivated on in IV) have our "Free Drive"  or "Advanced-Driver"  settings; it should be the same as the shooting! and no damn cheat should be required !!! Its such a beautiful world to explore, but the driving (the journey) element has been stripped..

(in a separate arguement: if they have a 'patch' for the traction via Cheat, then its possible to have in the game! right? so it should be in the options!)

I am not a Gear-head; but I now get the terms; "Ribbish-Driving", "Mario Kart", 

NFS/MDC, when it comes to GTA V driving. The Brakes are WAY too sensitive! and the damage is straight cartoon..

the HUGE step back in terms of the driving engine, and more importantly the damage model, its ridiculously cartoon-ish (yes, beyond arcade) Dumbed Down and the like..

The terms that the 'Realism of IV' proponents are;

"Fun", "Race-Excitement", "Skillful Driving", "Sense of Danger" IMO, this is purely in terms of  1, Braking/Traction/Roll/Suspension, and 2, speeds that produce imminent Danger and Damage to self/car and the like, if  "Driving-Skill" is not present...

The and the bikes are even far worse...

I will still have my fun, but I understand why you all are so crushed! R* let us climb up the ladder pretty high before they kicked it out from under us..

I resend my vote, from 'more arcady but its passable' to 'sad at this junk'...

• THEBIGZED, B Dawg, suicidehummer and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users