Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,857 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2585 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1012 votes [39.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.15%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (722 votes [27.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.93%

3. Indifferent (120 votes [4.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.64%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (307 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (424 votes [16.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote
suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

All the sh*tty drivers saying "it would be too hard with realistic handling". It's Grand Theft AUTO. Running from the cops should be hard, and the driving should require skill and a learning curve.

No wonder there are so many sh*tty drivers on the road, they think real cars will handle like Need For Speed. Rockstar should go back to IV's handling and force these idiots to learn to drive properly.

• TheOtherRyan, mariana_dm1989, Boxman108 and 1 other like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Not going to read the whole thread before i post.. I only recently purchased the game and have not played extensively tbh.
But
I did like the IV engine mostly. It was much more sim than the 'mash x' from prior versions.
What i did not like about IV, was that after a certain speed threshold was surpassed, then all traction went to hell: no matter which car/truck/suv was being driven. Too fast was essentially an ice sheet, and high speed cornering was difficult IMO. This effect ramped up the learning curve much more than the new controls. That was my main gripe about the driving on IV. It also seemed that traffic was programed to cut in front of you frequently...when it was present. I recall long stretches of barren roadside, especially if i NEEDED a vehicle. High speeds also seemed to prevent traffic from loading properly.
My first impression:
Tho V is more arcade-y i feel like each car is more responsive, and that breaking through turns is FAR more accurate than IV.
i did not feel like I am on a sheet of ice while cornering at high speed and traction is actually something useful while driving again.
V's driving I felt like I could just jump on and go...w/out any steep learning curve. A good blend Arcade(and thus fun) and enough 'Sim' to feel like i am driving a car al be it in the realm of GTA...
My 0.02 cents and initial thought for this thread.

Just a small question: since when can one corner at high speeds or have perfect traction at very high speeds? Maybe a Grotti Turismo should, and it can. Most cars would struggle at high speeds. Sporting cars wont most of the time, well some wont. Just sayin'.
  • suicidehummer likes this

trevors toe nail
  • trevors toe nail

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

The fact that you can't wheelie the quad bikes was big mistake ,and the motobikes handle like a plate of jelly

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:59 AM Edited by StingrayX, 20 January 2014 - 03:02 AM.

The acceleration of cars is also quite underwhelming. For example: the Sentinel XS is an M3 e92 Competition Package lookalike, and if you know anything about the e92 M3, you'll know that it is quick, nimble, and can be "wild" whenever you want it to be. Well, when I did a 0-60 - esque test, I was severely underwhelmed. 0-60 felt like it took 5.9 seconds. The e92 does it in well under 5 seconds. And it is not just this high tech Übernacht that feels underwhelming, its almost every other car! Trust me. The already underwhelming E350 lookalike Schafter is very slow. The E350 is not a sports sedan, get a torque-monster E550 or E63 for that, but it should not be as dull and slow as the Schafter portrays it. The Schwartzer feels like an E550 Coupe as it should, however.

Its just disappointing. The Adder feels like 0-60 in 4 seconds flat, rather than 2.5 seconds.

IV had a sense of speed issue too, but the cars did not look slow. They were, but you could "feel" the speed. I can takeoff in an Infernus with it gaining traction as soon as it moves, and it'll feel fast and a tad bit thrilling.
  • Blingy and mariana_dm1989 like this

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

After months of GTAV, I change my mind about the driving. At first i defended it, saying that it was good. But actually, after also playing IV again, I have to say that V's driving is severely dumbed down. So dumbed down that it is safe to say it was made for a kid audience. V's vehicles rarely feel like they have any weight, either when turning or accelerating. It's just too cartoony. IV was superior when it came to driving. This makes me sad because V's map would be so much more enjoyable if V had the driving physics of IV. I don't understand how rockstar could release GTA with such lame physics, a huge step back from a game they released 6 years ago(IV). GTAV's driving feels like a ps2 racing game.

I hate all the underage kids who complained about the amazing physics of IV. They should not have even been playing the game in the first place. Such complicated physics were made for us adults. It was the kids who were making the most complaints about the IV driving physics, thus why rockstar was under the impression that everyone hated them.  I fear we will never see IV style physics in a GTA game again thanks to little arcade monkeys who can't appreciate skill and complexity.  IV nailed it perfectly. The driving was like paradise. It was so satisfying and made you feel really good when you executed perfect turns. There was so much to take into consideration in IV's driving physics. In V, you just need to accelerate and turn left or right, lol.

• THEBIGZED, TheOtherRyan, P2FX and 7 others like this

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:05 AM Edited by mariana_dm1989, 20 January 2014 - 04:07 PM.

Let's not forget the fact that the ''feel'' and character of the vehicles in IV were of a far greater variety. This is to say that almost each vehicle felt different and unique. It handled differently to every other vehicle. However, with V, the same cannot be said. The vast majority of vehicles handle and feel the same, lacking any sort of uniqueness.It is as if Rockstar just changed the vehicle skins and maintained the same predictable  physics for most vehicles.  The only difference that is shown between most of the vehicles is the sound of the engine. That's it.

• GTA_fear likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:33 AM

its pretty unrealistic but i f*cking love it. If it had IVs damage and still this hard of cops, we would need 20 cars to get away cause they would destroy it within 3 hits

Driving is much faster in V than it was in iv, and there is MUCH more traffic as weiil. The GTA IV handling would have made GTA V a traffic simulator.
Not going to lie I don't like the way cars speed. I wanted a greater sense of speed but not exactly like what was shown. I guess I'll prefer driving heavy slower cars in this game. Heard somebody say that it was hard to drive slow/cruise in the game and if so then that is a let down as I cruise like 24/7 to take in the vibe of the map and admire the car.
Dude, my point on the other thread wasn't that GTAV driving is realistic. It's unrealistic as f*ck. My point is IV is unrealistic too. And if you had bothered to read the rest of the post you'd realize that my ultimate point was that it isn't supposed to be realistic. It's supposed to be fun. In games like NFS, Saints Row, and GTA people want action movie driving not a driving sim. It's supposed to be fun, not realistic.
What the hell are you on about?

X_AFRO_X
  • X_AFRO_X

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Just a small question: since when can one corner at high speeds or have perfect traction at very high speeds? Maybe a Grotti Turismo should, and it can. Most cars would struggle at high speeds. Sporting cars wont most of the time, well some wont. Just sayin'.

To answer your question directly; Since Never.

What I am trying to illustrate is (specifically to GTA IV) …  its not even HIGH-SPEEDS that made the ‘sheet of ice’ Im referring to.. there was a relatively low threshold of speed that made cornering impossible... well difficult…and while the CAR would turn; the wheels slipped on and I slid through every intesection no matter what car I was operating including sports car types.  (only the Murcielago knock-off had any ounce of decent handeling for any of the cars on IV-IMO-) since this is a chase/race type game it made it a frustrating experience for me.

And what I meant was that a 'sports car' or similar should be able to ‘brake and corner’ at high speeds,  and make the turn. yes there will be sliding to some extent, but not slipping completely through the intersection sideways, or off the road into the nearest building, or car, or structure(s)..I think V does a much better job of this compared to IV.

Example.

When I played San Adreas; the Bullet, Turismo, Infernus, Banshee, (Sultan) and their ilk were the popular cars for escaping cops and modding/stunting and other general fun driving, due to their better handeling at high speeds. Did they slip some? sure, but not like the Super GT for example.  (that car drove like it weighed an ounce, and slipped around like crazy compared to the previous mentioned models in SA even though it was a fast car, it handled like sh*t!)

The ONLY car in IV that seemed like it had any handeling what so ever... was again, the Murcielago knock-off.. again IMO..

<Snip> What i did not like about IV, was that after a certain speed threshold was surpassed, then all traction went to hell: no matter which car/truck/suv was being driven. Too fast was essentially an ice sheet, and high speed cornering was difficult IMO. <Snip>

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Clearly something is wrong with the way you drive. The Infernus is far from what is classified as a good handling car (well for a supercar) because it has what is known as understeer. The AWD, what makes this car so grippy, contributes to the Infernus's understeer. You might like its grip, maybe you just can't handle less grippy cars. All I know is that with good technique, I can corner fast in most cars. ;)

AXP Bonecrusher
  • AXP Bonecrusher

When in Doubt, C4

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

It's arcady and not really a racing game feel but allows me to drive faster.

X_AFRO_X
  • X_AFRO_X

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Clearly something is wrong with the way you drive. The Infernus is far from what is classified as a good handling car (well for a supercar) because it has what is known as understeer. The AWD, what makes this car so grippy, contributes to the Infernus's understeer. You might like its grip, maybe you just can't handle less grippy cars. All I know is that with good technique, I can corner fast in most cars. ;)

Clearly you have a high opinion of your driving prowess... :cookie:

I agree with you on the Inferns (and Ill throw in the Banshee). while fast they did not have the best handles (and the Turismo to a smaller extent) these were not my favorite cars in the game, but they were arguably some of the fastest. and therefore fun to stunt with. (and escape the cops in) so I included it in the initial list of 'Fast' cars.

I liked the Bullet and the Cheetah in order of preference. To me those were the best cars in SA they had what I considered the best speed and handling combination in the game. (and looked quite slick too IMO)  I liked the way the Sultan handled as well, but the damage was very poor. those cars were fun -FOR ME- to drive in SA. in the same vein; NRG 500 was the best bike, -fastest and best handling- and therefore the most fun bike to stunt with.(though the FCR sounded BEAST, just a louder PCJ really.. yet still one of my favs.. I digress)

We have a difference of opinion here, it does not diminish my ability to drive in GTA. we just have different preferences.

There was a Porche in IV that I thought had good handling. (I think it was the first car Brucie had when he unlocked the races initially) that comes to mind as a fun car to drive in IV, besides the Murceliago. I cant think of too many more off hand, there were some, but by and large I did not like the way the traction was on IV.. again, just my opinion/preference.

• IDAS Leader likes this

bakarak
  • bakarak

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:55 AM Edited by bakarak, 23 January 2014 - 01:58 AM.

I think it's ok. Few things I would change:
Not being able to right the car after flipping it. Having to crawl out of a car mid chase was good.
Only one directional change in the air, I don't like how you can line up a landing, I wouldn't mind some control, but once you pick a direction to move in the air you can't stop that movement or slow it down only speed it up.
And maybe add a traction control/abs setting cos at the mo it's turned up to full.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Months in and I'm still really appreciating the driving and cars overall. It's sharp and precise and works great for the game and what you want/need to do in it.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:15 AM

All the sh*tty drivers saying "it would be too hard with realistic handling". It's Grand Theft AUTO. Running from the cops should be hard, and the driving should require skill and a learning curve.

"sh*tty drivers."

I know a lot of people are going to disagree, but there's no surprise there since it's true.

Yes, IV's driving had a couple of issues - very basic ones that were fixed with mods. But the biggest issue are the players refusing to get used to the driving. Instead they complain and complain that it wasn't like GTA SA (just about everything "wrong" with IV was that it wasn't SA II).

Go play a race on IV's multiplayer. Chase someone through the city in a sports car. Get chased through the city. Watch some GTA IV races on YouTube. You'll see there are tons of people who drive fantastically in GTA IV, and know exactly what they're doing.

So the real question is: Is the driving the problem, or is it you?

• suicidehummer and Scaglietti like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

Months in and I'm still really appreciating the driving and cars overall. It's sharp and precise and works great for the game and what you want/need to do in it.

It does not give me what I want. I crave thrills, challenge, and sophistication yet none of those wants have been fulfilled by V's rubbish driving.

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

Okay, if we are going to get into this conversation then let me start off by saying this: I had a love/hate relationship with GTA IV physics. When the game first came out I hated them. I hated how every car had an open differential, I hated how cars had to be forced to drift, and I hated how much body roll and lean the cars had. As I got used to it though, I started to love it and love it even more. It got to the point where I used to play the game solely to see how long I could actually drift the cars for! It took me a few months but I got used to it and loved it.

I've been playing GTA V for a few months now, and I hated the handling the moment I played the game. I hated how it auto-steered for you when you drifted, I hated how slow the cars became once they started sliding, I hated how they took off, I hated how much smoke ISN'T in the game anymore, and I hated how the cars sped. Like I said, it's been a few months since i've been playing it, and I still have the same opinion on it. I mean, it's something we all get used to and it's like nothing to me now but it still severely bothers me how stupid and average the handling is, because it's tailored for the average, everyday gamer who likes to turn GTA on and do what we all love to do; blow sh*t up and run around. I hate to say it, but I feel like it's going away from "Grand Theft Auto", and it's turning into "Generic Sandbox Game". That's harsh considering I would give my life for the Grand Theft Auto franchise and the people who make it, but that's how I feel. GTA V felt like it played the game for me, it just needed an audience to show off to. Proper car physics should feel that it's the PERSON driving it, it should be an extension of a person. The way it feels is that the car just needs to be pointed in a direction and it'll do the rest. That's nice, and it's convenient for the player who doesn't really care too much about realistic physics because that was what GTA IV was built for, but if you make a statement about how the physics are "close to a racing game", don't give us some bullsh*t cardboard physics. A 1970's Olds Cutlass shouldn't out handle a Camry, and that's what pisses me off. Apart from a handful of cars in the game, every car feels like it has the same handling line, just tweaked to fit the car size. That irritates me, and to me that makes me feel like Rockstar was just trying to beat the deadline that they gave to themselves.

Now, please don't take this as a rant post because I do like the handling. It's easy to drive, it's fun once you figure out how to drift the cars without coming to a complete and total stop, and it's REAL fun doing stunts. I appreciate how Rockstar took the time to put in small details, which I feel they did because it sounds crazy, I know, but I feel like people just focus on the big picture. They don't slow down and take time to appreciate the small details in life. Rockstar still realizes the dedicated player, and that's why they added in all the small details. To full appreciate GTA V and all of it that makes it up, you need to really slow down and just look at anything and everything. That's what makes it so beautiful, and if you can excuse the big picture, then you'll realize and enjoy the small details that make up the big product so much more. It has it's faults, but got damnit, GTA V is one of the best games made.

• suicidehummer, Scaglietti, Viper9502 and 1 other like this

MostAwesomeUsername
  • MostAwesomeUsername

The Beast

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Loved the driving in GTA 4 but GTA V driving mechanics  I JUST ADORE.

watchclock
  • watchclock

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Well in GTA IV the Blista Compact was so horrendously modeled that it's wheelbase was more comparable to a midsize sedan so it's not a good benchmark for compact handling. Other smaller cars (Futo, Premier, etc) actually very felt different compared to bigger cars IMO.

the blista compact was like the ONLY fwd car....... and still kicked the back out better then any car in GTA 5 LOL

It also did awesome reverse 180's. I have yet to find a car that will do a reverse 180. They all do a 90 and then stop because they are so grippy and light that they dont have enough inertia to swing the front end all the way around :(

This is a very good point. Reversing fast and 180s are essential to tactical driving - the problems with this are the biggest disappointment for me.

theregomatt
  • theregomatt

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

for those who like gta 4's driving , i activated slidey cars cheat... closing thing you get to a challenging and fun drive, just needs a few tweaks to be main driving for me

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Okay, if we are going to get into this conversation then let me start off by saying this: I had a love/hate relationship with GTA IV physics. When the game first came out I hated them. I hated how every car had an open differential, I hated how cars had to be forced to drift, and I hated how much body roll and lean the cars had. As I got used to it though, I started to love it and love it even more. It got to the point where I used to play the game solely to see how long I could actually drift the cars for! It took me a few months but I got used to it and loved it.
     I've been playing GTA V for a few months now, and I hated the handling the moment I played the game. I hated how it auto-steered for you when you drifted, I hated how slow the cars became once they started sliding, I hated how they took off, I hated how much smoke ISN'T in the game anymore, and I hated how the cars sped. Like I said, it's been a few months since i've been playing it, and I still have the same opinion on it. I mean, it's something we all get used to and it's like nothing to me now but it still severely bothers me how stupid and average the handling is, because it's tailored for the average, everyday gamer who likes to turn GTA on and do what we all love to do; blow sh*t up and run around. I hate to say it, but I feel like it's going away from "Grand Theft Auto", and it's turning into "Generic Sandbox Game". That's harsh considering I would give my life for the Grand Theft Auto franchise and the people who make it, but that's how I feel. GTA V felt like it played the game for me, it just needed an audience to show off to. Proper car physics should feel that it's the PERSON driving it, it should be an extension of a person. The way it feels is that the car just needs to be pointed in a direction and it'll do the rest. That's nice, and it's convenient for the player who doesn't really care too much about realistic physics because that was what GTA IV was built for, but if you make a statement about how the physics are "close to a racing game", don't give us some bullsh*t cardboard physics. A 1970's Olds Cutlass shouldn't out handle a Camry, and that's what pisses me off. Apart from a handful of cars in the game, every car feels like it has the same handling line, just tweaked to fit the car size. That irritates me, and to me that makes me feel like Rockstar was just trying to beat the deadline that they gave to themselves.
     Now, please don't take this as a rant post because I do like the handling. It's easy to drive, it's fun once you figure out how to drift the cars without coming to a complete and total stop, and it's REAL fun doing stunts. I appreciate how Rockstar took the time to put in small details, which I feel they did because it sounds crazy, I know, but I feel like people just focus on the big picture. They don't slow down and take time to appreciate the small details in life. Rockstar still realizes the dedicated player, and that's why they added in all the small details. To full appreciate GTA V and all of it that makes it up, you need to really slow down and just look at anything and everything. That's what makes it so beautiful, and if you can excuse the big picture, then you'll realize and enjoy the small details that make up the big product so much more. It has it's faults, but got damnit, GTA V is one of the best games made.

W
Well I concur. The handling is easier than driving an MP4-12C which is very simplistic to drive even in video games. But even then the car had realistic or believable traits. The cars in V feel numb and the steering bores me so bad that I just can't... it sucks. It is f*cking rubbish. If I had a car that steered like that, I would trade it in. How dull.
  • Blingy, GTA_fear and namor like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Well in GTA IV the Blista Compact was so horrendously modeled that it's wheelbase was more comparable to a midsize sedan so it's not a good benchmark for compact handling. Other smaller cars (Futo, Premier, etc) actually very felt different compared to bigger cars IMO.

the blista compact was like the ONLY fwd car....... and still kicked the back out better then any car in GTA 5 LOL
Sorry to double post but how f*cking true! :) The Hakumai was FWD too. All Dinkas in IV are funner to drive than any car from V.

I do miss my Schwartzer though. :( I built a clean one for Michael (silver, tinted windows, black rims that look like real AMG rims, a carbon fiber roof, and an improved transmission that gave off a subtle twin-turbo sound to improve that horrible exhaust note it had by default). It was the ultimate sleeper, German grand tourer. So executive and so fast. It did not handle well though but I just cruised along freeways in it. Doing that, I could just relax and not worry about much steering. Tuned down the SFX and listened to whatever good tracks were on. I wish this car were in IV. I would enjoy it. Then it would have sounded as muscular as the 1st generation Schafter and would've been heavier to steer yet that would be fun because it would cause drifts and the sheer straight line speed would shock you even more. The only aesthetic things I would change? Make the flat exhausts quad exhausts(whilst still being flat and AMG-Like) and I would make those LED strips stay on all of the time.

It is a real shame. If V were to have IV's physics or an option for it, I would enjoy V like crazy. Such a shame. :/

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

W
Well I concur. The handling is easier than driving an MP4-12C which is very simplistic to drive even in video games. But even then the car had realistic or believable traits. The cars in V feel numb and the steering bores me so bad that I just can't... it sucks. It is f*cking rubbish. If I had a car that steered like that, I would trade it in. How dull.

I feel like the only cars that have custom handling lines are the Ruiner, the Futo, the Comet, the Bullet (because how can a super car be that slow, lets be honest.), and the Rat Loader.

• Scaglietti likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

The more I play GTA V the more I realise the run of the mill cars handle like those in GTA IV abeit with less body roll.

It seems the more flash the car the more it handles like a go cart or a box sliding across the pavement.
  • Scaglietti likes this

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Tech Knight

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

I would go with a definite improvement over IV. The thing that convinced me was I played GTA V for an hour then GTA IV for an hour. After playing GTA V and going back to IV, the driving felt floaty, the cars felt like boats. I was slipping and sliding all over the place and even the fastest cars felt slow. Plus the vibration on the controller when you hit a bump or do a burnout in V isnt in IV. Its a small thing but that is what makes me feel like the cars are more real in V then in IV.

TLDR: After playing GTA V, the driving in IV felt totally off.

tch2296
  • tch2296

Giant Siberian Priest Just Chillin'

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

GTA 4's handling seemed more reminiscent of boat handling - it was fun at the time, but loose and a bit wacky, like driving on a planet with less gravity than Earth. The point many of you seem to miss is that this is a game designed to be fun, it is NOT a driving simulator.

Many of you even go so far as to compare real-life car models to the cars in the game they are very loosely based on, and then criticize the game for not creating an accurate representation of the car they represent, as if they were the same thing. A Coquette is NOT the same thing as a Corvette. The cars are NOT carbon copies of the original, its part of the artistic license Rockstar has chosen- many cars have similar chassis designs and similar handling and power characteristics, but it is by no means designed to be a simulator of those cars.

Anyone looking for amazing driving physics, you are playing the wrong game. Check out GTA 5, and buy yourself a steering wheel. I did that back in the day on PS2 with Gran Turismo 2, got the good wheel with force feedback and everything, and it was an amazing experience, even back then. I can't imagine how awesome it would be with a new wheel and with the new GT. I have never even played GT5. I heard 6 is coming out for PS3/360 for some reason instead of the new-gen consoles, but I might be wrong on that.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Want me to cut you up and sell your organs?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

1. Gran Turismo 2 was on PS1
2. Gran Turismo 6 is already out on PS3
3. GTA IV is fun, and It's not even difficult to handle the cars compared to GT. What's wrong with an open world game having good realistic easy to handle driving mechanics? GTA V could have been better instead of having full on arcade VC handling. SA is more realistic even with the outdated physics.

XJpostman
  • XJpostman

YARDIE

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

I miss having to slow down for corners.
  • Blingy, GTA_fear and suicidehummer like this

tch2296
  • tch2296

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

1. Gran Turismo 2 was on PS1
2. Gran Turismo 6 is already out on PS3
3. GTA IV is fun, and It's not even difficult to handle the cars compared to GT. What's wrong with an open world game having good realistic easy to handle driving mechanics? GTA V could have been better instead of having full on arcade VC handling. SA is more realistic even with the outdated physics.

Yes, I meant GT3, always get those mixed up. And yes, I hadn't realized GT6 was out, I guess it came out last month or something.

Anyways, to the point, there's nothing wrong per se with GTA5 having very realistic handling along the lines of GT, it's just not what the game is about. It's a complaint from a very small minority of players, and there are just as many, including myself who think that GTA5 driving is significantly more enjoyable than the driving-boat physics of GTA4. GTA4 wasn't bad, but I absolutely prefer GTA5 when it comes to driving.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

GTA 4's handling seemed more reminiscent of boat handling - it was fun at the time, but loose and a bit wacky, like driving on a planet with less gravity than Earth. The point many of you seem to miss is that this is a game designed to be fun, it is NOT a driving simulator.

Many of you even go so far as to compare real-life car models to the cars in the game they are very loosely based on, and then criticize the game for not creating an accurate representation of the car they represent, as if they were the same thing. A Coquette is NOT the same thing as a Corvette. The cars are NOT carbon copies of the original, its part of the artistic license Rockstar has chosen- many cars have similar chassis designs and similar handling and power characteristics, but it is by no means designed to be a simulator of those cars.

Anyone looking for amazing driving physics, you are playing the wrong game. Check out GTA 5, and buy yourself a steering wheel. I did that back in the day on PS2 with Gran Turismo 2, got the good wheel with force feedback and everything, and it was an amazing experience, even back then. I can't imagine how awesome it would be with a new wheel and with the new GT. I have never even played GT5. I heard 6 is coming out for PS3/360 for some reason instead of the new-gen consoles, but I might be wrong on that.

The boat argument is really getting tiresome. :dozing:

Have you not seen videos of heavy vehicles trying to steer into a corner at high speeds. There is no doubt excessive body roll. Yes, I will admit that quite a few cars had excessive body roll in IV like the Huntley, Super GT, Sabre(80s one), and a few others. But the rest of the cars had reasonable body roll. And other than the body roll, it was not hard to steer unless you had been driving in NFS or San Andreas all of the damn time with no skill whatsoever.

Now moving on to your second point. No sh*t sherlock, the cars in V are not carbon copies of real cars. And nobody here has been saying that. The cars in IV looked remarkably similar to their real life counterparts and most of them drove similar to their real life counterparts. Don't believe me? Here are some examples and if you don't believe them then play the damn game and actually test out their handling rather than driving like a mindless douche:

- Turismo: looks like a 360 Modena and drives like it too. Its steering is light and precise and enjoyable. The brakes are excellent albeit they bite a bit. The car goes wherever you point it but with great feedback. It is easy to control whilst it is slipping and sliding and if you are an excellent driver, you can drive like a nut without crashing without intention to crash

- Super GT: It looks like a swoopy Aston Martin and it handles like a grand touring car. It can go fast but it wants to drive slow. It is not for the track, it is for long distance spirited drives

- Cognoscenti: it looks like a 62 S and a Flying Spur and it is more luxury based. It has a potent engine that launches the car from 0-60 in probably under 5 seconds and when you steer at high speeds it'll allow a lot of slipping. Its suspension smooths out most of the bumps in the road and the steering is a bit numb and laid back.

- Hakumai: it looks like a 90s Accord and with FWD it drives similar. The suspension is firm and hard and it can be fun to throw around or go on a road trip in

Etc, you get what I am saying. No sh*t the game is not a simulator but the cars in V should feel distinct and a little bit believable at least. But they don't. And fun does not mean "unrealistic" for everybody so don't just automatically think that realism or semi-realism = not fun. That is bullsh*t.

Now onto your next point... I am not looking for a simulator. I am looking for an open world game with fun physics. IV was one of them and for f*cks sake that did not have realistic physics, they were sophisticated but not overly realistic. V doesn't give me fun physics. It gives me what I find cheap, numb, and rubbish looking physics that look like they were dumbed down for those that like to blow sh*t up and drive like idiots 24/7. It feels like only steering, gas, and breaking exist. No understeer, no oversteer, no personality, just nothing.
  • Blingy, GTA_fear, namor and 1 other like this

tch2296
  • tch2296

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

The boat argument is really getting tiresome. :dozing:

Have you not seen videos of heavy vehicles trying to steer into a corner at high speeds. There is no doubt excessive body roll. Yes, I will admit that quite a few cars had excessive body roll in IV like the Huntley, Super GT, Sabre(80s one), and a few others. But the rest of the cars had reasonable body roll. And other than the body roll, it was not hard to steer unless you had been driving in NFS or San Andreas all of the damn time with no skill whatsoever.

Now moving on to your second point. No sh*t sherlock, the cars in V are not carbon copies of real cars. And nobody here has been saying that. The cars in IV looked remarkably similar to their real life counterparts and most of them drove similar to their real life counterparts. Don't believe me? Here are some examples and if you don't believe them then play the damn game and actually test out their handling rather than driving like a mindless douche:

- Turismo: looks like a 360 Modena and drives like it too. Its steering is light and precise and enjoyable. The brakes are excellent albeit they bite a bit. The car goes wherever you point it but with great feedback. It is easy to control whilst it is slipping and sliding and if you are an excellent driver, you can drive like a nut without crashing without intention to crash

- Super GT: It looks like a swoopy Aston Martin and it handles like a grand touring car. It can go fast but it wants to drive slow. It is not for the track, it is for long distance spirited drives

- Cognoscenti: it looks like a 62 S and a Flying Spur and it is more luxury based. It has a potent engine that launches the car from 0-60 in probably under 5 seconds and when you steer at high speeds it'll allow a lot of slipping. Its suspension smooths out most of the bumps in the road and the steering is a bit numb and laid back.

- Hakumai: it looks like a 90s Accord and with FWD it drives similar. The suspension is firm and hard and it can be fun to throw around or go on a road trip in

Etc, you get what I am saying. No sh*t the game is not a simulator but the cars in V should feel distinct and a little bit believable at least. But they don't. And fun does not mean "unrealistic" for everybody so don't just automatically think that realism or semi-realism = not fun. That is bullsh*t.

Now onto your next point... I am not looking for a simulator. I am looking for an open world game with fun physics. IV was one of them and for f*cks sake that did not have realistic physics, they were sophisticated but not overly realistic. V doesn't give me fun physics. It gives me what I find cheap, numb, and rubbish looking physics that look like they were dumbed down for those that like to blow sh*t up and drive like idiots 24/7. It feels like only steering, gas, and breaking exist. No understeer, no oversteer, no personality, just nothing.

What exactly would you suggest to improve the physics then? Let em guess, you're not a designer, it's not your responsibility, right? You're exactly right, that's why we have professionals to make these kinds of decisions - programmers, testers, QA, etc. A balance needs to be struck between entertainment and realism (with realism absolutely being the less important aspect).

Your examples were entirely unnecessary, I understand that the vehicles aren't carbon copies - again - the game isn't designed to be a copy of real-life, and it's clear by the poll that most people are totally happy with the handling, with most considering it an improvement. So what do you expect Rockstar to do? Tend to the small, finicky minority with such specific complaints? Of course not. It's just silly, like most of this "debate".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users