Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

3,190 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2053 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (822 votes [40.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.04%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (568 votes [27.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.67%

3. Indifferent (90 votes [4.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (236 votes [11.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.50%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (337 votes [16.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Despite the lack of handling gta V provides, Im trying the master drifting in the game with/without the slidey cheat and in/out of the rain. If I'm able to, Im going to make a comparison video in details about the two.

Btw, my drifting skills in gta IV is crazy good, not insane, but good, this is awesome.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

The handling is so bad that you have to forget about things you know to go fast. Some of the ABC tips for driving fast slow you down here. Things like this:

- When you approach a corner, the way to go fast is start braking as hard as possible, release progressively pressure on the brake as you put more lock on the steering, and then get progressively on the throttle as you open the wheel lock.

You do this on the game and you lose time. Because in this game you can brake and turn hard, and the car manages to both slow down and turn. And you can get hard on the power and turn hard , and the car will accelerate and turn at the same time.

There´s no need to watch out for too sharp weight shifting. Or to avoid asking tyres for hard lateral and longitudinal efforts at the same time. You just brake as hard as possible + turn as hard as possible, and then accelerate as hard as possible + turn as hard as you need.

Most cars cope with this sh*t, only some muscle cars (and rainy conditions help most cars to a certain extent) escape this sh*tty pattern. The driving is decent there, but totally sh*t for supercars or sport cars in the dry. There´s just WAY too much grip. Add the lack of weight and momentum, the lack of a proper suspension model, and what a sh*tty combo.

• THEBIGZED, JBanton and Lazyboy. like this

sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Personally I like it but it took some getting used to and I really don't think they should have changed it so some 10 year old who shouldn't even be playing the game whines that they can't make a 90 degree turn at 100 mph in an suv? I mean god forbid there's any challenge at all to driving or you even have to hit the brakes let's make it so cars are glued to the ground and handle like go karts the issue here is people whine like litthe b**ches about the smallest bit of realism I honestly prefer realism over half assed arcadish physics I know crazy right? I actually like a challenge but to be fair I think r* is listening seems driving has been patched somewhat since release now please everyone let's all shut up about the driving because when people whine about this kind of stuff that's what makes r* change it its fine where its at now if it aint broke don't fix it (although at first it WAS broke) people who complain about realism go play saints row and stop trying to ruin gta there's my view on this issue here. IV wasn't perfect either though and was less realistic in some ways.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

^
Congratulations for putting at least one punctuation mark in that mess of a ''paragraph''.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

IV wasn't perfect either though and was less realistic in some ways.

Where GTA IV driving was less realistic than GTA V?

illender
  • illender

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

I dont like the driving in V, its not that its "bad" really. It just feels utilitarian. You can drive, turn, go fast, escape from the popo etc. However you cannot do any of that with any amount of flair or excess.
If your flying down a road and there is a corner you can turn and you will go around the corner. You wont drift, or have a close call or anything.
If your coming up on an intersection and your light turns red as you go through you can stop, from full speed, before you hit any cars without problem or anything. You just stop.
You cannot drift, do doughnuts, slide, fishtail, etc. It just feels like it was made to get you from point a to point b quickly and efficiently...
IV was not really realistic, but it was fun. Running from the cops was like an action movie chase scene. It was fun and you had options. Now when you drive, you simply go fast, its easy and its efficient, but not fun.
Now turn on the sliding cars cheat. Its harder, and you cant go as fast, but suddenly you can do things that cars can normally do, but cant in the game. You mash the gas as you take off and your peeling out, fishtailing down the road for a bit. If your more gentle with the gas you just take off quickly. When you come up to a turn, you can fling the car into the turn and it will slide tail out while you countersteer and gas, if your good and not doing anything really crazy you will get through sliding tail out and continue down the road. You could also just slow down a bit and go through the corner normally. You can drift, do doughnuts, and even driving off road feels different than on road driving.

These are the things that have come to my mind as the worst issues with the driving. I have just been driving around Los Santos for the last couple hours trying to get used to the cars and trying to have fun with them. I so far have been unable to get past these issues...

1. You can turn sharply and nail the throttle and the tail doesnt come out at all. Try this in a real car especially one with some kind of limited slip differential (sports cars and "super" cars) you will spin around faster than you will know what happened. Its like all the cars in the game have some crazy super advanced traction control on at all times.

2. You barely have to slow down to take any corners. Assuming that the faster cars have a top speed of at least 130mph there is no way your going to come close to a 90 degree corner at an intersection with any resemblance of decent car handling physics. The grip is insane, the cars handle like F1 cars with thousands of lbs of down force and racing slicks. These are the stock cars, I have not even modified any since im sure it will just make the problem worse.

3. You can go from top speed to stopped in less than the space of an intersection. This makes driving too easy since you can just slam the brakes and stop nearly instantly. You can also accelerate as fast as you stop, making mistakes and crashes almost pointless since there is hardly any time lost.

4. Driving off road has the same grip as driving on road. Anyone who has ever taken a car down a gravel road knows that driving on gravel/dirt is totally different. The car slides around and has MUCH MUCH less grip than when on the road.

5. Trying to drive at any speed other than as fast as you can possibly go feels like trying to play a shooter with the aim sensitivity turned up too high.

What game are you playing? I drift I burnout I do doughnuts and if I kpjam on the gas on a fast car I spin out and need less throttle. I cruise at posted speeds and have no problems either. Going off road is clearly less grip unless u have off road tires. You sure your playing part V?
  • rahsmoov18 likes this

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

I dont like the driving in V, its not that its "bad" really. It just feels utilitarian. You can drive, turn, go fast, escape from the popo etc. However you cannot do any of that with any amount of flair or excess.
If your flying down a road and there is a corner you can turn and you will go around the corner. You wont drift, or have a close call or anything.
If your coming up on an intersection and your light turns red as you go through you can stop, from full speed, before you hit any cars without problem or anything. You just stop.
You cannot drift, do doughnuts, slide, fishtail, etc. It just feels like it was made to get you from point a to point b quickly and efficiently...
IV was not really realistic, but it was fun. Running from the cops was like an action movie chase scene. It was fun and you had options. Now when you drive, you simply go fast, its easy and its efficient, but not fun.
Now turn on the sliding cars cheat. Its harder, and you cant go as fast, but suddenly you can do things that cars can normally do, but cant in the game. You mash the gas as you take off and your peeling out, fishtailing down the road for a bit. If your more gentle with the gas you just take off quickly. When you come up to a turn, you can fling the car into the turn and it will slide tail out while you countersteer and gas, if your good and not doing anything really crazy you will get through sliding tail out and continue down the road. You could also just slow down a bit and go through the corner normally. You can drift, do doughnuts, and even driving off road feels different than on road driving.

These are the things that have come to my mind as the worst issues with the driving. I have just been driving around Los Santos for the last couple hours trying to get used to the cars and trying to have fun with them. I so far have been unable to get past these issues...

1. You can turn sharply and nail the throttle and the tail doesnt come out at all. Try this in a real car especially one with some kind of limited slip differential (sports cars and "super" cars) you will spin around faster than you will know what happened. Its like all the cars in the game have some crazy super advanced traction control on at all times.

2. You barely have to slow down to take any corners. Assuming that the faster cars have a top speed of at least 130mph there is no way your going to come close to a 90 degree corner at an intersection with any resemblance of decent car handling physics. The grip is insane, the cars handle like F1 cars with thousands of lbs of down force and racing slicks. These are the stock cars, I have not even modified any since im sure it will just make the problem worse.

3. You can go from top speed to stopped in less than the space of an intersection. This makes driving too easy since you can just slam the brakes and stop nearly instantly. You can also accelerate as fast as you stop, making mistakes and crashes almost pointless since there is hardly any time lost.

4. Driving off road has the same grip as driving on road. Anyone who has ever taken a car down a gravel road knows that driving on gravel/dirt is totally different. The car slides around and has MUCH MUCH less grip than when on the road.

5. Trying to drive at any speed other than as fast as you can possibly go feels like trying to play a shooter with the aim sensitivity turned up too high.

What game are you playing? I drift I burnout I do doughnuts and if I kpjam on the gas on a fast car I spin out and need less throttle. I cruise at posted speeds and have no problems either. Going off road is clearly less grip unless u have off road tires. You sure your playing part V?

He definiately is playing GTA V, not sure about you because for example there is no difference in grip between road/off road and you said you CLEARLY see it... which is bullsh*t

• namor and AssassinArshia like this

qwerasdfstrawman14
  • qwerasdfstrawman14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:02 AM Edited by qwerasdfstrawman14, 25 December 2013 - 03:08 AM.

BlaineCountyHooker, on 17 Sept 2013 - 5:10 PM, said:snapback.png

its pretty unrealistic but i f*cking love it. If it had IVs damage and still this hard of cops, we would need 20 cars to get away cause they would destroy it within 3 hits

Driving is much faster in V than it was in iv, and there is MUCH more traffic as weiil. The GTA IV handling would have made GTA V a traffic simulator.

Not going to lie I don't like the way cars speed. I wanted a greater sense of speed but not exactly like what was shown. I guess I'll prefer driving heavy slower cars in this game. Heard somebody say that it was hard to drive slow/cruise in the game and if so then that is a let down as I cruise like 24/7 to take in the vibe of the map and admire the car.

• Sting4S and AssassinArshia like this

AssassinArshia
  • AssassinArshia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:26 AM Edited by AssassinArshia, 25 December 2013 - 03:29 AM.

Cars and vehicles were SUPPOSED to be very fast but probably because of the console graphic and fps limitations they don't feel as fast as they should.
I think rockstar has to focus more on gameplay rather than graphics because the game will take up too much ram and space.

L33TxFuSIoN
  • L33TxFuSIoN

Sweggy Sweg Holder

• Members

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

Cars and vehicles were SUPPOSED to be very fast but probably because of the console graphic and fps limitations they don't feel as fast as they should.
I think rockstar has to focus more on gameplay rather than graphics because the game will take up too much ram and space.

True, Graphics don't make a game :)

• AssassinArshia and rahjee like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Carrera ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

IV wasn't perfect either though and was less realistic in some ways.

Where GTA IV driving was less realistic than GTA V?
From a fan of IV driving:

- cars in V now struggle when their tires pop
- cars in V have a better sense of speed albeit it is overexaggerated
- that's it

:D

Mr Toaks
  • Mr Toaks

Let's Cook!

• Members

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

For what the game is, the vehicle handling is absolutely where it needs to be.

It isn't Forza or GT... Each vehicle has it's own characteristics and therefore each one can be mastered with familiarity of the game's physic mechanics.

I think it is better than in GTAIV and the variety of vehicles is much greater. I Can't really think of anything that I would change, except maybe allowing the ability to purchased TCS from Los Santos Customs?? getting some fully tuned motors off the line can take a while when you have a heavy right foot  :)

Wov4ik-
  • Wov4ik-

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

the car handling in gta 4 was real fun . i explain why it was better

1.the car fell like real cars and felt heavy,in gta 5 the cars feel light and have too much grip

2.races(in gta 4 u have to think while you race speed on long runs and braking on corners,drifting,you need driving skills,  in gta 5 on t other hand its all about who has the fastest car because everyone can handle the cars no matter if theyre pro driver or no racer

3.bikes in gta 4 real great ,real fun ,oh man what happened to the bike handling in 5 its like a big step back

4.dont hate gta 5 but i just wanna say gta 4 had the best car handling ever and they changed it back to the lever of vice city and san andreas

• P2FX and suicidehummer like this

Username_already_taken
  • Username_already_taken

http://gtaforums.com/

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:51 PM Edited by Username_already_taken, 27 December 2013 - 07:52 PM.

I think GTA4 had better handling. In this one the slower, crappier cars handle so much better than the sports cars which are far too sensitive, they always fly off everywhere at the slightest of movements.

Also what I don't like.. actually; hate, is the way you smash through the window screen when you hit something involving a bit of speed, they had this in GTA4 and I was hoping they'd take it out, but alas, it's still there. Do none of the characters wear seatbelts??

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

I think the problem that takes away speed sense is not graphic, it´s physical.

- the extra grip and the lack of momentum means doing 250km/h feels normal. You have grip to spare for easy corners and you have amazing braking power if things get ugly, so there´s no risk. No risk = no thrill.

- The damage model is too light. Same than before, no risk of losing your car = no thrill.

If the screen showed EXACTLY the same pictures but grip was lower and damage higher, it would feel A LOT faster.

I think GTA4 had better handling. In this one the slower, crappier cars handle so much better than the sports cars which are far too sensitive, they always fly off everywhere at the slightest of movements.

Qouted for true. In GTA4 thrill came when you finally got to drive sport/supers. Here they´re rubbish unless it rains. Cars way worse than them like muscle cars or classic sportcars feel way better.

• namor likes this

DIEXEL
  • DIEXEL

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Cars: Both "I like it despite it feeling more "arcady"" and "Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV".

Motorcycle: "Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV". It was perfect in IV, man!

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:25 PM Edited by Agni, 28 December 2013 - 08:25 PM.

The driving for this game has put me off it forever. I haven't touched V in literally a month.

I'm gonna sell me CE for extra money to build a gaming PC. Then I'll buy the PC version when it comes out and get a driving mod...or maybe I'll just get IV for the PC.

I would love it if someone would port LS into IV (like how San Andreas was ported from SA to IV) when the PC version drops, then we could have IV's physics and V's world.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

The driving for this game has put me off it forever. I haven't touched V in literally a month.

I'm gonna sell me CE for extra money to build a gaming PC. Then I'll buy the PC version when it comes out and get a driving mod...or maybe I'll just get IV for the PC.

I would love it if someone would port LS into IV (like how San Andreas was ported from SA to IV) when the PC version drops, then we could have IV's physics and V's world.

I have handling.dat from GTA V on my PC and I have looked in the file, its not going to be easy bring back GTA IV handling due to different physics/engine settings, for example: fastest car (Adder) have top speed set as 160.0 which is same as many sports cars in GTA IV however in V those cars are much faster, another example is damage system 4 values responsible for damage are pretty much same as in GTA IV (multiplier 0.8 as an average for deformation - same is in GTA IV)

I don't think porting LS to GTA IV have any sense (V have better mechanics, weather etc) and porting map from newer game is some kind of piracy, I would like to see LC ported to GTA V with fixed driving

EminemGirl69
  • EminemGirl69

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

It's awesome!

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

I have handling.dat from GTA V on my PC and I have looked in the file, its not going to be easy bring back GTA IV handling due to different physics/engine settings

If it´s a problem of different settings in the same engine, it´s easy to edit it.

Just look at how much better the driving gets when it rains, it shouldn´t be hard at all to tone down grip levels to make the wet weather levels the normal ones. Grip levels shouldn´t be hard to modify.

Bringing back the suspension physics a bit towards 4 and giving weight to vehicles... I guess that will be a challenge though.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:44 PM Edited by zielarz119, 29 December 2013 - 04:44 PM.

I have handling.dat from GTA V on my PC and I have looked in the file, its not going to be easy bring back GTA IV handling due to different physics/engine settings

If it´s a problem of different settings in the same engine, it´s easy to edit it.

Just look at how much better the driving gets when it rains, it shouldn´t be hard at all to tone down grip levels to make the wet weather levels the normal ones. Grip levels shouldn´t be hard to modify.

Bringing back the suspension physics a bit towards 4 and giving weight to vehicles... I guess that will be a challenge though.

If it's easy, show me which file I have to edit in GTA IV to change how cars drive/handle (settings from handling refer to this file)?

I want to mod GTA IV driving so sportscars making cornes better, also tone down suspension (when you change suspension in handling.dat to more stiff cars fly around on every bump and I don't like it)

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:15 AM Edited by FasterThanYou, 30 December 2013 - 12:15 AM.

If it's easy, show me which file I have to edit in GTA IV to change how cars drive/handle (settings from handling refer to this file)?

I want to mod GTA IV driving so sportscars making cornes better, also tone down suspension (when you change suspension in handling.dat to more stiff cars fly around on every bump and I don't like it)

I´ve no idea about modding, just saying tweaking default GTA5 grip levels to match the current wet weather ones is far from a challenge once you know what value is the one to tweak. And a day into the possible PC release, people will know which one that is.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

Is it me or did they change the handling again, the cars slide a little more in the game allowing me to drift better(buffalo). 

I think you mean how the game engine was initially set, and everything else branches of from that, but I don't know sh*t either.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:51 AM

Is it me or did they change the handling again, the cars slide a little more in the game allowing me to drift better(buffalo). 

I think you mean how the game engine was initially set, and everything else branches of from that, but I don't know sh*t either.

Yes, settings from handling.dat refers to thousands lines of script and I have no idea which one....

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:49 AM

Okay I think the engine is GTAIV.exe which all data refers to, can anyone confirm?

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

I can´t help with that mate!!

Encourage you to show whatever progress you make once you figure out what to change. Really eager to see what this game is capable off once someone pushes to get the driving as good as possible.

rahsmoov18
  • rahsmoov18

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

I love GTA 5 it's my favorite, but was the arcade driving style really necessary? Well at least it's not the worst GTA in history    

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

PC version so we can tweak, please.

2muchtime
  • 2muchtime

VP of Restless MC

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

I think IV got it spot on, so was disappointed with the driving in V.

It felt so unrealistic by comparison.

1 week in and I was loving every minute.

My conclusion - it's not bad, just different.

Remember this is a game not a simulator.

By the time GTA X is out on virtual reality devices they'll have cracked it, but then.....

In reality hitting a kerb at speed can rip your tyres off and smash your alloys. How much realism do you want in a game?

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

The car should at least bounce off a curb like it actually has a suspension, not just instantly pop onto it like an RC car. IV was just the right amount of realism.

• GTAfear and FasterThanYou like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users