Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,108 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2258 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (900 votes [39.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.86%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (627 votes [27.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.77%

3. Indifferent (100 votes [4.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.43%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (260 votes [11.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.51%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (371 votes [16.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote
GTAfear
  • GTAfear

Think of a yellow rubber duck!

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

@Swifty101 I'm suspecting you may be a troll, but I'll go with it.

And what about all the other cars in V that also handle like your Lamborghini Munchmelago, Murciefago or whatever its name is? You take the example of one vehicle in V, a supercar, and say that that's how supercars handle in real life and that V's handling, therefore, is great, and then you take the example of one vehicle in IV, a firetruck, and say that that's not how firetrucks behave IRL and that, therefore, IV's handling sucks. I'm sorry, but that's dumb.

Would you rather have every car handle like an Italian supercar that drives like on rails? I only want supercars to handle like supercars.

So quit bitching because you can't handle your GTA edition firetruck at 35- miles per hour taking a basic turn.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

Quite ironic he mentions GTA V's ''better handling'' by comparing it to a Lamborghini Murcielago. If there is a brand of cars, not reknown for their handling abilities, its a f*cking Lambo. Especially the Murcielago, since its the last of the ''real'' supercars. Not like it's lighter little brother Gallardo or it's technologically advanced successor, the Aventador.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Ok look you dumb sh*t gamer wimps who have never played a game like Forza 4 before. In 4 it was more like a fire truck could roll over just taking a basic turn at 35 miles per hour when in real life they don't ever roll over because of ballast in their tanks. .

lol.. I never rolled over in a fire truck in in GTA 4.

And you call us dumb.  ...Haaahaha

BTW, FORZA sucks.

MacCar11
  • MacCar11

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Ok so, funny thread and just couldn´t stop myself from signing up just to post my view on it.
Firstlily id like to state my case about GTAV so the flaming n pissing n moaning will be slightly reduced from the fanboys and the opinion slinging crowd here.
GTAV Easily GOTY 2013, Possibly GGOAT (Greatest game of all time) and 2013´s most interesting general media release.
The story, cutscenes, ingame car dialogues,voice acting is a 100% well produced masterpiece.R* have set a new standard in the industry that other developers will not be able to reach and they should be happy if they can accomplish to write 20% as creative story content.
So the driving mechanics...
Yes they f*cked it up kinda bad here in V !!
In IV it took atleast 30 min to adjust to the controls and learn how much to brake just to go around a corner and it took a massive amount of time on the brake trigger for a 90 degree turn. The cars did also understeer heavily, had unrealistically low grip, and had too much bodyroll.
Adding to that it felt slow paced as the majority of cars had very low acceleration.
However the mechanism had depth as cars had real individual feel and caracteristics and it were possible to do powerslides and various neat stuff.
Online mode was a pure joy when racing in sportscars,supercars,muscle cars and here the depth and great driving mechanism did come to its full potential.
So in retrospect i guess the pissing and moaning about IV and that the driving was as fun as sailing a boat with heavy roll bias severly leaking and constantly seemingly unavoidable running into cliffs looks to have made an impact at R* quarters.
So they just threw all the IV code in the bin and started over.In V we got treated with La grande ultra acceleration ,insta breaking,F1 oversteering and that on 90% of all the car models !
Imo i can´t come to another conclusion then it looks like R* are really the ultimate big brother prankstas, some real satirical stand up clowns who know they will get luv even tho they treat there crowd real evil and make us piss and moan while still selling out every show and making the same audience come back for more.
its just..it could have been so much more rewarding to spin the V disc...When location and map was revealed i imagined driving around and stunt in the desert,rally drive up hill mountain gravel roads,speeding and switching lanes on the highways in supercars,lowride in the ghetto,do donuts at the beach in a Presidente while blasting the ingame radio and enjoying a severly modified and carefully tuned driving mechanism from IV.The map had so much potential for this and the possabilty to create ur own races in the editor for online and such, ouch it almost makes me cry now as none of this will really be as gratifing as it could, and should have been, and were left with the only driving pleasure of speeding as fast as possible while avoiding a crash...Naturally though while going through the story the mechanism serves it purpose and takes us from a to b in a smooth streamlined fashion as it makes its easy to focus on the mission GPS while not having to perform F1 braking precision at the same time, so i guesss this is the main reason driving is what it is,while i feel is just pure sh*te how one of the small details, like that any surface we can drive on have virtually no impact on the grip level !!
Did they beta test all this stuff for more then 7½h? Did the R* devs put 89% of there time on smoking weed and drink hennesey while making up internal jokes in the office how they were gonna clown us once they had finished the map design, and if so how much money did they bet with eachother what the public reactions would be 3 years later?
Ahh As great game it is of now is just strange that they did not put more time into this...ffs it is the most basic core of the game and the thing we spend most time with...I Was looking forward to explore the map in extreme detail after being stunned gunned by the epic story... however when driving is this much mario kartish it is not an immediate rewarding thing to do...not for me anyway.

Ah, it sucks to have to give out the low 9 out of the 10 score for V but look forward to VI already !

:r*:

Cherio$

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

It may be time to put this piece of sh*t thread out of it's misery.
  • android likes this

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

This thread is clusterf*ck and the discussion is pretty much dead.

I think mods need to lock this thread.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

Well this is the most active driving thread so I see no reason to lock it.

JonMattsson
  • JonMattsson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

This is a tech demo of "Next Car Game" ( what a silly titel! ):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1YZV_lcgMTQ

The damage psychics is over the top and, seriously, who wants to join a carchase when the car falls into pieces after hitting a couple of other cars?

But there are other interesting things - i really like the way the car powerslides!

This is something that I miss in GTA V!

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

You can always keep the damage like it was in IV with the speed and damage being proportional. Today I found out that the way a truck shifts into gears, sounds retarted. Unless your mashing the accelerator down, cruising speeds is useless. You can't  drive in 1 mph increments like you could in IV, you can cruise at regular speeds but it's difficult to the point where it's not really possible. Your either speeding or stopping, nothing else. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Drove the Super GT today in IV and.man it is the ultimate grand tourer. So smooth, big, sexy. The Rapid GT is rubbish.
  • JBanton likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Today I found out that the way a truck shifts into gears, sounds retarted. Unless your mashing the accelerator down, cruising speeds is useless. You can't  drive in 1 mph increments like you could in IV, you can cruise at regular speeds but it's difficult to the point where it's not really possible. Your either speeding or stopping, nothing else. 

Nothing sounds more retarded than the way the virtual driver downshifts when braking hard. He downshifts every single time on the rev limiter.

Also if you brake hard and then let the car coast at moderate speed without touching anything, the car will keep rolling on the limiter without your driver upshifiting at all.

They really didn´t give a sh*t about the basics, let alone about little details in the driving in this game. You just have to look at they way the virtual driver is nearly ejected everytime you brake (use a convertible and you´ll see it), or how you can´t use helmets inside cars.

The damage psychics is over the top and, seriously, who wants to join a carchase when the car falls into pieces after hitting a couple of other cars?

Me. If you and the guy chasing are under the same challenging conditions, that kind of chase can be epic. Doing 250km/h on the highway SHOULD be intense and have serious consequences if you get it wrong.

Also something like this would allow developers to quit with that police spawning crap. You drive, they drive, if you outpace them without crashing you escape. If they manage you to crash you either get another car on time or get caught. No cheap tricks to balance gameplay.

Wolficide
  • Wolficide

Wolf.

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well, I think it has been really improved but it still is very I guess "precise". If you barely turn you ture a good amount of angle. Hey, I mean its just my opinion.  :facedesk:

killerj167
  • killerj167

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

The driving is so so when compared to Gta 4, to me it feels less awesome and less realistic than Gta 4 but this is not the problem with vehicles that bothers me a lot.

The problem that bothers me a lot is the lack of car damage.

The car damage is absolutely horrible in Gta 5.

The cars are basically made out of titanium :|

Yea but you don't want your car blowing up after every 5 hits in a fast car :/

PSgtaplayer1
  • PSgtaplayer1

Collector

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

I really like the driving mechanics in the game and I don't necessarily believe that the damage done with hit a car should be fatal or anything. If you raced with a bunch of douchebags who just ram you every time, then your car barely make it past the first lap, or even the first leg of the race. There are some things that can be slightly improved, but no GTA isn't only focused on driving. So, no need to make it perfect. I think that people need to understand that GTA will not be the perfect game and as it is, it's pretty good.

The driving is pretty awesome, especially when you've learned the advantages and disadvantages of the car you're driving.

Carrythxd
  • Carrythxd

Peon

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

I love driving in GTA V. It just feels so damn nice, a big improvement from GTA IV!

I never drove around LC in GTA IV, just because of the handling the cars had, I just couldnt enjoy it. When the car mods started to get released that had a handling line, I once in a while I just chose one and drove around LC, but I never did that with the stock cars.

In GTA V Ive driven around LS many many many times, its really enjoying! I just love the handling haha :p

• Lowi likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

There are some things that can be slightly improved, but no GTA isn't only focused on driving. So, no need to make it perfect.

You´re right about something: If they just bother getting the basics right (like in GTAIV) it´ll be enough.

This sh*t we have now, sorry, this is just not good enough.

• JBanton likes this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

The driving is so so when compared to Gta 4, to me it feels less awesome and less realistic than Gta 4 but this is not the problem with vehicles that bothers me a lot.

The problem that bothers me a lot is the lack of car damage.

The car damage is absolutely horrible in Gta 5.

The cars are basically made out of titanium :|

Yea but you don't want your car blowing up after every 5 hits in a fast car :/

But that's just the problem. The collision/damage physics are so forgiving that you can drive like a squirrel on meth without worrying that you'll fatally smash up your vehicle after several collisions. It takes the fun out of the driving experience. In GTA V, you don't value the vehicles, they're disposeable, and as a result I found that I driving as fast as possible in the missions, and outside of them, I didn't care whether I smashed up an Adder or Carbonizzara or a whatever in my gameplay, because you aren't punished for dreadful and unskillful driving.

Driving in IV was perfect in that punitive respect. You have to take care when driving (as you do in the real world), especially when you're in control of one of those rare vehicles which you don't wish to lose, such as the Super GT, Infernus or Comet, because something rare becomes valuable and you take care of valuable assets.

In V, the driving experience can be defined as "disposable". You break something, that's no big deal, you can easily replace it with the same. There is absolutely nothing that makes you want to respect and value any of the vehicles, and the whole driving experience is superficial, vacuous and empty (a little bit like Los Santos/Los Angeles really), which is perhaps what R* were trying to lampoon, although I doubt it. It is nowhere near as rich, complex and rewarding as in IV.

• JBanton likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

Did people just press the accelerated with full force and steer via jolting the joystick? I mean if you do that, any game will handle stupid especially ones with sophisticated handling.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:24 AM Edited by zielarz119, 19 December 2013 - 10:27 AM.

The cars did understeer heavily, had unrealistically low grip, and had too much bodyroll.
Adding to that it felt slow paced as the majority of cars had very low acceleration.

cars did understeer heavily - try to take 90 degree turn where you have as much space as on normal street at 50km/h in real life (make sure there is space in front of you)

had unrealistically low grip - i have to agree here (in V there is too much grip), but this resulted mainly that cars were behaving strangely during a crash

had too much bodyroll - people mainly complaint about this (they are right) but it dont affect the handling of cars in any way

majority of cars had very low acceleration - they had too low acceleration at start but reaching top speed was fine IMO (top speed was bad though)

btw. Im only explains, not writing against you

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Did people just press the accelerated with full force and steer via jolting the joystick? I mean if you do that, any game will handle stupid especially ones with sophisticated handling.

That even has a name: it´s called the monkey-test.

If a car doesn´t slide or get badly unsettled when treated like that, a driving game is bad.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

If a car doesn´t slide or get badly unsettled when treated like that, a driving game is bad.
Yeah Need for Speeds are like that and sadly V is slightly like that too.

If I am going hard as a motherf*cker down the runway in an F620 in V and jult the stick to the left, my turning radius will be unreal, very sharp for such high speeds.

If I am going hard as a motherf*cker down the runway in an F620 in IV and jult the stick to the left, my turning radius will suffer and I will understeer. Hell if I turn sharp at such speeds and hit uneven surfaces, I might flip or spin a little. Drifting into a corner at high speeds is an alternative in IV but some cars lose a lot of speed while doing that. The only ones that don't deccelerate excessively whilst drifting top speed into a corner are the Buffalo, Futo, a few others and the Super GT/F620 but the Super GT/F620 is difficult, you have to be precise.

But back to the argument, V's handling - no offense to its fans - feels like handling for dummies. Certain stunts cannot even be pulled because V's handling suffers from less sophistication.

L33TxFuSIoN
  • L33TxFuSIoN

Sweggy Sweg Holder

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I felt as if IV's handling was like a boat when trying to turn.. The best car handling in that game for me was the Infernus. V's handling however is a little light and too easy but I prefer this to IV's. The police in V are the biggest problem.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:43 PM Edited by zielarz119, 19 December 2013 - 05:58 PM.

I felt as if IV's handling was like a boat when trying to turn..

Boats? More like real life cars:

(as you can see somecars try to turn but they are driving too fast to take almost 80 degree turn and go on understeer, just like in IV)

boat feeling/suspension also exsist in real life in you dont believe - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Nid5IBqR7pA

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

I felt as if IV's handling was like a boat when trying to turn.. The best car handling in that game for me was the Infernus.

Funny you say so because the Infernus was an understeery supercar (especially with power on).

opposed to the Comet, which was oversteery, and Turismo that was perfectly balanced.

• JBanton likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

I felt as if IV's handling was like a boat when trying to turn.. The best car handling in that game for me was the Infernus. V's handling however is a little light and too easy but I prefer this to IV's. The police in V are the biggest problem.

No offense to you, but how can you think the Infernus is the best handling car? It is fast, but in corners, albeit grippy, it understeers. It does not feel nimble or light on its feet as it might be 4,000 pounds like the Murciélago. To me the Turismo is the best handler. The only thing bad about it is that the brakes bite too much. Boaty is not how I'd describe most cars in IV. Some just have over-exaggerated body roll. But cars to shift weight and roll in real life when you corner hard.

PlasmaFLOW
  • PlasmaFLOW

Oracle

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:47 PM Edited by PlasmaFLOW, 21 December 2013 - 10:48 PM.

The handling of the game is alright, Jesus, people are so whiny, really, when GTA IV came out, everyone was complaining about its handling, and now everyone magically LOVES it and hates V's?

This is bollocks, come on guys, cant you peeps just have fun and thats it? You always have to make something out of everything?

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:08 PM Edited by zielarz119, 21 December 2013 - 11:08 PM.

The handling of the game is alright, Jesus, people are so whiny, really, when GTA IV came out, everyone was complaining about its handling, and now everyone magically LOVES it and hates V's?

This is bollocks, come on guys, cant you peeps just have fun and thats it? You always have to make something out of everything?

it's okay for racing game such as NFS or MC:LA but this is GTA, we should have good car handling system in game about cars. They could use the handling for SUPERCARS only though (for those kids who just press accelerator and take 90 degree turns on 100km/h)

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

What about people (like me) who have loved the driving in GTA IV since the start when the game new?
  • JBanton likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Even NFS: Shift (which is supposed to be a little realistic) f*cked up. I took a '69 Dodge Charger from the free DLC pack, tried to make it slide on purpose at low speeds/corners and it f*cking won't!. f*cking poorly done cars. However, the Dukes in IV was awesome.

TheTruthOnly
  • TheTruthOnly

Thug

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

The handling itself it's not that much of a problem for me. Lack of weight is the real issue. It feels like VC physics. Look at this 0:35

http://youtu.be/Y-wSML13I44?t=35s

You couldn't do that in IV.

• FasterThanYou likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users