Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,108 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2258 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (900 votes [39.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.86%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (627 votes [27.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.77%

3. Indifferent (100 votes [4.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.43%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (260 votes [11.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.51%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (371 votes [16.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:28 PM Edited by Vooodu, 08 December 2013 - 05:29 PM.

This don't make sense, here's why---> whats the point of driving fast as possible on the tightest roads with lots of turns and traffic

Racing or Getting way?

I mean, if we are talking about driving isn't racing and getaways the highest point of GTA?  How does that not make sense.?

This is not NFS, kid. This is GTA deal with it.

Im not a kid... And WTF does NFS have to do with anything?

And seriously... DEAL WITH WHAT exactly?

lmao.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:16 PM Edited by zielarz119, 08 December 2013 - 07:16 PM.

@up

Reading skills... you lack them

• Sting4S likes this

kingkole02
  • kingkole02

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

Much improved over GTA IV.  Although IV was good, the motorcycles were crap.  GTA V has better motorcycle abilities in my opinion.  You can actually drive a cycle now and have it handle more true to form.  Although I wish you could drag knee with the sports bikes and no one in their right mind would but a foot down which sliding on a cruiser unless near stopped.

Although RockStar figured out that motorcyclist get off on the left side of the bike and not the right side this time around.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:22 AM Edited by StingrayX, 09 December 2013 - 12:22 AM.

Ingrowing toenails hurt more than you'd think after a year or two. It took 6 injections of whatever it is they gave me to numb the toe when I was getting it removed.

To me the bikes and motorbikes were the worst downgrade. They look so good but bore me so much that I have only driven them when mandatory.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:49 AM

Bikes that pivot are more realistic than those that lean?
  • Sting4S likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

Much improved over GTA IV.  Although IV was good, the motorcycles were crap.  GTA V has better motorcycle abilities in my opinion.  You can actually drive a cycle now and have it handle more true to form.  Although I wish you could drag knee with the sports bikes and no one in their right mind would but a foot down which sliding on a cruiser unless near stopped.

Although RockStar figured out that motorcyclist get off on the left side of the bike and not the right side this time around.

Funnily enough I was doing the ATV race before and on dirt the Sanchez felt brilliant. In general I don't find the bikes too be that bad.

In GTA IV I didn't like how the bikes bounced all over the place. Kind of funny how in GTA IV I like the car physics, but not the bike physics and in GTA V it's the complete opposite.

REXX93
  • REXX93

QUATREX Special Operations Unit

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think some things have improved in GTA V, but as well, some things still don't seem, right. Handling in GTA V is a little over the top, as mentioned before, the traction on tarmac and dirt roads feel pretty much the same. Motorbike handling has been improved but the bike seems "stuck" to the floor, for example riding up a curb will not mess up the balance. One thing I noticed and I think is a great improvement is the handling for trucks, as in previous games they were very difficult to maneuver, but in GTA V that all changes. As stated in this topic earlier, swinging the back out is possible (in some cars) by using the handbrake, for example I always go out cruising in my Grotti Carbonizzare and sometimes I mess around by swinging the tail out. All this said, I much prefer GTA V's physics.

PlasmaFLOW
  • PlasmaFLOW

Oracle

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

Now that I finally got to play the game in a friends house... I have to say I really f*cking love these driving physics. It feels so much better, cars just have grip, and they actually drive fast, not like in GTA IV where they were a f*cking boat on wheels.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Funnily enough I was doing the ATV race before and on dirt the Sanchez felt brilliant. In general I don't find the bikes too be that bad.

In GTA IV I didn't like how the bikes bounced all over the place. Kind of funny how in GTA IV I like the car physics, but not the bike physics and in GTA V it's the complete opposite.

With bikes it depends on which one. The Collector's Edition bike handles great and so does the Sanchez but I just can't get into Franklin's bike though it felt much better when I removed the saddle bags. Cars I very much like.

TLAD still has the best bike handling which makes sense for a game centered around bikers.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

You can actually drive a cycle now and have it handle more true to form.  Although I wish you could drag knee with the sports bikes and no one in their right mind would but a foot down which sliding on a cruiser unless near stopped.

What do you mean it handle more true to form? 

Drag your knee with the sports bike will probably requires more physics in order for you to be in control, otherwise the game will just assist you just as the cars are now. In IV, anyone can get close to that with practice. 

The way the motorcycle handles is a representation of the driving physics, you can't expect high quality control on motorcycles and little on driving physics, it would be like playing three different games (the shooting, driving cars, driving motorcycles).

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

To me GTA just never got the feeling of motorcycles right.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Now that I finally got to play the game in a friends house... I have to say I really f*cking love these driving physics. It feels so much better, cars just have grip, and they actually drive fast, not like in GTA IV where they were a f*cking boat on wheels.

GTA 4 never felt like boats on wheels tho.  That's just you giving to much gas in corners.

Same thing still happens in GTA V.  Not sure why people keep saying GTA 4 felt like boats.   ...lol

• B Dawg and Sting4S like this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

The suspension was certainly over exaggerated in IV, and could have done with some tightening up, but driving in V is practically the same as driving slot cars with magnatraction. It's fun at first, but after a few minutes it gets boring very very quickly. The physics in V over exaggerates the speed of the vehicles, and because of this the steering has been made overly sensitive and responsive - by "steering" I mean the ability of the vehicle to swivel about its central axis. When you're driving at speed and have to be very careful not to oversteer and collide with the inside of a very sharp turn, then there's something seriously wrong with the physics.

• Sting4S likes this

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I don't like the Sanchez in GTA V that much, mainly because doing drifts or powerslides on them is almost non-existent.

• Sting4S likes this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

The physics in V over exaggerates the speed of the vehicles.

Funny you say that since cars in GTA V ''feel'' faster but are actually driving at a very slow pace.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:44 PM Edited by StingrayX, 09 December 2013 - 11:48 PM.

The suspension was certainly over exaggerated in IV, and could have done with some tightening up, but driving in V is practically the same as driving slot cars with magnatraction. It's fun at first, but after a few minutes it gets boring very very quickly. The physics in V over exaggerates the speed of the vehicles, and because of this the steering has been made overly sensitive and responsive - by "steering" I mean the ability of the vehicle to swivel about its central axis. When you're driving at speed and have to be very careful not to oversteer and collide with the inside of a very sharp turn, then there's something seriously wrong with the physics.

You know, I used to think the suspension on cars was exaggerated until I watched Motor Trend's Head 2 Head of the '14 Flying Spur vs '14 Ghost. Go ahead and watch it. At the very beginning you see the RR Ghost pushing hard into a corner in slow-mo and it rolls so hard that it looks like the left side of the saloon in scraping the ground. The Cognoscenti in IV, to me, was perfect after watching that. The only cars I felt were overexaggerated in IV as far as the body roll/suspensions were the Cavalcade, Presidente, Sabre(80's Faction-looking one), Buccaneer, Super GT, Willard, Huntley, PMP 600, and the Rebla. The other cars were either perfect or near perfect. The Hakumai rolls, but it actually has a firm enough suspension to make you "feel" the road's imperfections. Same with the Sultan and Solair. In V, every single damn car would make you feel every little bit of the road's inperfections- hell if you ran over a tiny pebble you'd feel it in V's cars. That to me is worse than "boaty" suspensions which don't feel like boats at all actually.

carmelo3
  • carmelo3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

After nearly 3 months...I still think the driving is fine...

BUT

For some reason the driving in GTA IV feels more satisfying. 

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

Here are my test results (note: Franklin special ability was not used during this experiment, no car mods or upgrades either)

Franklin white buffalo (don't know if it's special from the regular one's by default)

113 mph (163 mph slidey car cheat) 50 mph difference

Adder

123 mph (183 mph slidey car cheat) 50 mph difference also

All done on fairly flat ground, hills probably can boost these numbers a little more.

References: In-game vehicle stats

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

^Don't bother man, it doesn't make sense. Just earlier today, I was speeding down the highway in a Cheetah, for a mile at least, in a straight line, barely steering the car, and when I check the stats, it still showed a previous record of 137 mph. The Cheetah can go to 220 mph, how the f*ck am I supposed to achieve that, when it barely goes over 120 mph while on the highway. I gave up a while ago.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Did you get that with the stock car or with mods(upgrades)? Someone already mention that when going at high speeds, if you turn a little, it slows you down a little.

I can understand why it don't near 220 mph due to the fact that most people don't look into stuff like this. As long as it looks fast and the special ability can boost unreal numbers, people will say "yo, I hit 270 mph! Fu*king awesome!

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

After a few months passed I still don't see how this poll can be so definite. In some ways I find it better now. But in many points I still can't see how the driving would fit into the overall more realistic touch that GTA is going towards to. 

How cars handle in the air, how most of them are glued to the ground just interrupts the experience for me. Not so much but still. 

I'm settled with this as I can't see how it will be changed but I'm hoping for a change in the next possible installment of GTA.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

The handling is okay for an arcade game, but ruins the consistency of things for me in V. This driving V has now is exactly what I had feared. Some bullsh*t similar to MC:LA.
  • namor likes this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

You know, I used to think the suspension on cars was exaggerated until I watched Motor Trend's Head 2 Head of the '14 Flying Spur vs '14 Ghost. Go ahead and watch it. At the very beginning you see the RR Ghost pushing hard into a corner in slow-mo and it rolls so hard that it looks like the left side of the saloon in scraping the ground. The Cognoscenti in IV, to me, was perfect after watching that. The only cars I felt were overexaggerated in IV as far as the body roll/suspensions were the Cavalcade, Presidente, Sabre(80's Faction-looking one), Buccaneer, Super GT, Willard, Huntley, PMP 600, and the Rebla. The other cars were either perfect or near perfect. The Hakumai rolls, but it actually has a firm enough suspension to make you "feel" the road's imperfections. Same with the Sultan and Solair. In V, every single damn car would make you feel every little bit of the road's inperfections- hell if you ran over a tiny pebble you'd feel it in V's cars. That to me is worse than "boaty" suspensions which don't feel like boats at all actually.

I actually like the exaggerated body roll and bouncy suspension on many of the vehicles in IV and find myself driving over kerbs and little bumps and watch how the suspension works, loving the feedback I get on the controller. More often than not, I take the SUVs or any vehicle with a high centre of gravity to the few hilly off-road areas in LC and have so much fun abusing the crap out of the suspension, bouncing up and down.

Recently, I've taken to speeding southwards along Montauk Avenue and hitting the rise just before Soldier's Plaza just to see how much air I can get through the centre of the arch and how far it can fly through the air. I noticed that the suspension had been tightened up a little on BoGT, but there's still a lot of fun to be had trying to do this with the exclusive vehicles in BoGT and TLaD.

It really p!sses me off when I drive the cars and motorbikes in IV, and the only place I can get a similar feeling is that bumpy road in Vespucci (you drive it in the first Franklin & Lamar mission in V), but that feels far too scripted and not so natural. The "car control" while in the air is a horrible addition. R* should patch it so that it can at least be switched off.

I really, really despise the over-exaggerated 0-70 mph in 3 seconds acceleration that R* gave the vehicles in V as well as the messed up braking (or rather the 70-0 mph in 3 secs speed drop the moment your finger comes off the accelerator trigger. If they've given all the vehicles high performance attributes giving you precision control in driving, why on earth make the collision and damage physics so forgiving? Oh yes, for the kiddies that haven't learned to take their fingers off the accelerator whilst turning corners and avoiding other road vehicles...I just answered my question.

I'm off for a nice leisurely cruise around Broker and Hove Beach in a Cognoscenti to relax a little now.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

The handling is okay for an arcade game, but ruins the consistency of things for me in V. This driving V has now is exactly what I had feared. Some bullsh*t similar to MC:LA.

I saw some NFS: Rivals gameplay on Youtube recently, and I can't believe that they still haven't got decent vehicle physics in that game. IV was the closest we've ever come to something approaching realistic driving physics that obey Newton's Laws of Motion, and R* took a huge stinky dump of liquid laugh on it. I pray that for the next GTA installment they will implement physics that closely resemble those of Beam NG, otherwise it's a game-breaker for me, I'm afraid.

• Sting4S and Boxman108 like this

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

I loved IV's driving physics, but I also love the new physics. It's like comparing steak to pizza. I love arcade driving and simulators. I can't see R* going back, but it would be nice if we had options.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

I loved IV's driving physics, but I also love the new physics. It's like comparing steak to pizza. I love arcade driving and simulators. I can't see R* going back, but it would be nice if we had options.

Options is a must in the future. I cannot see myself playing any new GTA's for a long time if they have physics similar to V. I don't gaf if they have the most detailed and hottest cars, if they handle like cars do in V, I won't be driving them for long.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:08 AM

To me GTA just never got the feeling of motorcycles right.

I definitely agree with this. 

I think about riding a trail bike in a super soft sand pit and thank gawd GTA doesn't torture us like that with the dirt bikes.  I just wish they had more power and a looser suspension.  We should be able to pop the clutch on one too.  Wheelies?  Hello?  The quad steering is too easy with a shorter turn radius than it should be and there's no weight to the machine itself.  Quads in reality are clunky and can not turn so sharply. The scooter is pretty realistic, lol.  *BEEP-BEEP*  The street bikes' handling are, as I said before, too generic for all with no resistance for turns/leans.  The cruise bikes are not too bad but they have the same turning/leaning problem.  These should have more weight to them too.

All this talk and I'm wishing I was riding again in real life, lol.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Did you get that with the stock car or with mods(upgrades)? Someone already mention that when going at high speeds, if you turn a little, it slows you down a little.

I can understand why it don't near 220 mph due to the fact that most people don't look into stuff like this. As long as it looks fast and the special ability can boost unreal numbers, people will say "yo, I hit 270 mph! Fu*king awesome!

No I had everything tuned up to the max. I know that if you turn a little you lose a little bit of speed but, I don't think it would be enough to keep a supercar of this performance under the 215 kmh.

Swifty101
  • Swifty101

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ok look you dumb sh*t gamer wimps who have never played a game like Forza 4 before. In 4 it was more like a fire truck could roll over just taking a basic turn at 35 miles per hour when in real life they don't ever roll over because of ballast in their tanks. Now in 5 I can handle a car at 150+ miles per hour since I grew up playing games like Gran Turismo and Forza. Even Midnight Club LA performed more like 5 does now. So all you do is bitch, piss, and moan about games because all you want is the quote on quote "perfect game". I used to as well. But have you ever been put behind the wheel of a 645 hp Lamborghini Murcielago before and actually got it up to 150+ before? No you haven't. Do you actually have Forza 3,4, or 5 or Midnight Club LA to know how a real car handles, probably not. The planes handle like in a simulator, like I have, Flight Simulator X by Microsoft. Would you rather have every car handle like an American luxury car for the 60's, 70's, or 80's that always lobs up and down and spins out easily like in GTA 4? The only cars I want like that are ones from that era. But a modern day American Le France fire engine doesn't ever and never did handle like the one in GTA 4. So quit bitching like a baby because you can't handle your GTA edition Lamborghini Murcielago or Gollardo or even the GTA Bugatti Veyron 16.4 on the highway at 250+ miles per hour since I love racing that in Forza 4. Get a grip on how a professional races a car in racing or just shut up and play the damn game because your skill levels determine how well you handle the car, boat, motorcycle, or plane.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

^ Who are you addressing yourself to ?

• Aragrox likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users