Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,293 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2311 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (919 votes [39.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.77%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (641 votes [27.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.74%

3. Indifferent (102 votes [4.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (271 votes [11.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.73%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (378 votes [16.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote
FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

I said it before and I´ll say it again, everyone is entitled to say they prefer 5´sw driving, but calling it an improvement is just either lying or living in denial.

Everytime I read 5 is an improvement, the reason always is that the game allows something that shouldn´t be allowed, so ignorant/unskilled driver is happy because of it.

Like "5´s good because you can control your car on grass easily". Sorry, that´s not an improvement, that´s a step back. Because cars ARE hard to control on grass.

• GTAfear, suicidehummer and lazy. like this

Druffmaul
  • Druffmaul

Dan Is The Bastard

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:59 PM Edited by Druffmaul, 03 December 2013 - 09:56 PM.

I said it before and I´ll say it again, everyone is entitled to say they prefer 5´sw driving, but calling it an improvement is just either lying or living in denial.

Everytime I read 5 is an improvement, the reason always is that the game allows something that shouldn´t be allowed, so ignorant/unskilled driver is happy because of it.

Like "5´s good because you can control your car on grass easily". Sorry, that´s not an improvement, that´s a step back. Because cars ARE hard to control on grass.

There were so many people who thought GTA 4's driving sucked, when the fact was that it's them themselves who suck, unable to adapt and learn how to drive properly using the new and improved physics, which were clearly a vast improvement over all of the past GTAs. I can see how those morons would honestly think GTA 5's more simplified, dumbed-down driving is better. And I can kinda understand why R* would cater to the crybabies, they were so vocal. Far more vocal than all of us who loved GTA 4's driving. 

I really hated GTA 5's driving for the first several hours of the game, it felt like Driving For Stupid Babies. It felt like it was hard to make a mistake. But I got used to it pretty quick. It's not that bad.

• suicidehummer and lazy. like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Protector of the 2nd Amendment

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:04 PM

People should go back and try driving in SA (don't pay attention to it's awful crash physics tho, just driving) and they'll see why we think GTA V is such a huge downgrade.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:30 PM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 03 December 2013 - 09:31 PM.

There were so many people who thought GTA 4's driving sucked, when the fact was that it's them themselves who suck, unable to adapt and learn how to drive properly using the new and improved physics, which were clearly a vast improvement over all of the past GTAs I can see how those morons would honestly think GTA 5's more simplified, dumbed-down driving is better. And I can kinda understand why R* would cater to the crybabies, they were so vocal. Far more vocal than all of us who loved GTA 4's driving. 

I really hated GTA 5's driving for the first several hours of the game, it felt like Driving For Stupid Babies. It felt like it was hard to make a mistake. But I got used to it pretty quick. It's not that bad.

It depends, some supercars in GTA V are so twitchy and shaky it can lead to lots of quick time accidents. You have to be really precise because some cars (Entity XF, Coquette, Voltic) will turn 3 meters to the left by just a touch of the analog. And im playing on an old PS3 controller so I have to be carefull with those analogs. lol  :lol:

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

There were so many people who thought GTA 4's driving sucked, when the fact was that it's them themselves who suck, unable to adapt and learn how to drive properly using the new and improved physics, which were clearly a vast improvement over all of the past GTAs I can see how those morons would honestly think GTA 5's more simplified, dumbed-down driving is better. And I can kinda understand why R* would cater to the crybabies, they were so vocal. Far more vocal than all of us who loved GTA 4's driving. 

Yeah I liked V's driving for weeks but then it begun to feel like rubbish. And after trying Forza Horizon I lost faith for it. Then I tried IV last week and...i haven't touched V since, nor do I wanna' right now.

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

paleontologist

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

It depends, some supercars in GTA V are so twitchy and shaky it can lead to lots of quick time accidents. You have to be really precise because some cars (Entity XF, Coquette, Voltic) will turn 3 meters to the left by just a touch of the analog. And im playing on an old PS3 controller so I have to be carefull with those analogs. lol  :lol:

Yep. Most of the time when i'm driving a super, i'm not holding the stick when I turn, i'm lightly flicking it unless it's a hard turn.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Yup, that is what I do too but even them the steering is too sensitive.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

Yep. Most of the time when i'm driving a super, i'm not holding the stick when I turn, i'm lightly flicking it unless it's a hard turn.

Same thing for me but, replace ''super'' with ''every car''.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

A GTA V fanboy's worst nightmare

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

There were so many people who thought GTA 4's driving sucked, when the fact was that it's them themselves who suck, unable to adapt and learn how to drive properly using the new and improved physics, which were clearly a vast improvement over all of the past GTAs. I can see how those morons would honestly think GTA 5's more simplified, dumbed-down driving is better. And I can kinda understand why R* would cater to the crybabies, they were so vocal. Far more vocal than all of us who loved GTA 4's driving. 

The thing is exactly that. The physics aren't that bad, but there's virtually no input anymore.

It's accelerate, brake and turn. No more weight transfer and controlling under steer/over steer is basically non-existent . They're the most basic and generic physics you can get.
  • QuietJosh likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

For me rain is the only saving grace to enjoy the driving in this game. The silly stopping distances dissapear, and the cars lose a lot of performance and grip. The driving starts making a bit of sense again, especially if you´re driving muscles or classic sport cars.

You suddenly can´t be too hard on the controls, can´t shift weight like a maniac, have to watch for slides and correct what the car does through the corners. The rain grip levels should have been the dry weather ones.

It´s a shame because 5 online is really good and I´ve met lots of nice people that I would lose contact wit if I went back to 4. That´s the only thing holding me back.

• suicidehummer likes this

Ninja_Gear
  • Ninja_Gear

Boss

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Dislike the car handling and hate the new bike handling.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

You cannot, in reality, call what the cars do in V as steering. The car pivots around the central axis of the vehicle as opposed to following the line of the front wheels whenever you turn the car. London black cabs possess one of the tightest and smallest turning circles of any vehicle, but those in V put it to shame. Why make a three point turn in V, when all you need to do is push the stick all the way to left or right and the car is pointing in the opposite direction in no time at all. No need to pull 180s using the e-brake either. I have so much fun pulling off 180s and J-turns in IV when in a police chase at a six-star wanted level, losing the police, NOOSE and FIB in the distance by skill alone. The fun of the chase has been ripped out in V due to the kiddie physics, scripted cop chases and completely screwed up teleporting psychic police AI.

• boxmonster, 17th and QuietJosh like this

QuietJosh
  • QuietJosh

Cynical and Grumpy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

It's accelerate, brake and turn. No more weight transfer and controlling under steer/over steer is basically non-existent . They're the most basic and generic physics you can get.

Nailed it right on the head.

I've tried ever since the game came out to master V's driving style, but the input "twitchiness" (for lack of a better/real word) makes driving a chore instead of a joy. With IV, it was almost like you could "feel" the car's movements. Now... it's like you're flying a feather, and when you have neuro-muscular issues... it's frustrating at times.

No, IV's mechanics weren't perfect - but V's is about as far from perfect as the most distant galaxy is to Sol III. It's vastly reduced the time I've spent playing the game in favor of ones that don't require micro-metered precision.

It's a shame, really. Online is fairly good, and I enjoy it despite its flaws, but the driving part just kills the joy for me. :(

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Dislike the car handling and hate the new bike handling.

Compare the handling of Franklin's Bagger with the Freeway in IV or the Sanchez in V and IV. The bike handling in V looks worse than training wheels on a bike. How R* completely f*cked up the bike physics (worse than they did the car physics), I really don't know. What was going on in their heads? Road Rash on the Sega Megadrive was a lot more fun.

Dann_47
  • Dann_47

King in NFS, Noob in DOTA

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Personally I liked only 30% the handling part. the 30% includes car that have super handling such as Entity XF and cars that can drift (powerslide) like Futo. The other 40% are cars that easily spun out such as (no offence) Carbonizzare and bikes that is quite hard to handle. the other 30% goes to commercial vehicles and cars that i dont really give a damn.

seriously, handling in gta v is slightly decent at those we have in earlier versions of gta. AND IN GTA V CAR HANDLES LIKE S*IT WHEN IT RAINS (maybe thats my prob)reas, 

anybody settling in to revive back the hydraulic from gta sa into gta v? (this sure is a bad idea)*

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Protector of the 2nd Amendment

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

To activate GTA V handling in San Andreas, type in STICKLIKEGLUE (beware of excessive bodyroll)

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

GTA V driving isn't that bad.  Anyone who says it easy and for newbs is pretty much full of sh*t.  And I loved GTA 4 driving.

The off roading with cars makes no sense tho.  But the real problem in GTA V is the the rag doll effect in crashes.

Im looking at those silly crashes where a piece of cardboard or a tiny tap from the back can make a car go flying into orbit.  OR the fact that Sanchez (Dirtbike) can pit maneuver a 4 x 4 Truck (Sandking).

In GTA 4,. it actually punished people for ramming players.  You would come to complete stop if you rammed someone.  You would also probably have a messed up front end while the guy in front barely wipes out.

In GTA V you can ram someone full speed, transfer your speed to them and sending them flying, while still maintaining near full speed.  This makes no sense.

Dann_47
  • Dann_47

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

GTA V driving isn't that bad.  Anyone who says it easy and for newbs is pretty much full of sh*t.  And I loved GTA 4 driving.

The off roading with cars makes no sense tho.  But the real problem in GTA V is the the rag doll effect in crashes.

Im looking at those silly crashes where a piece of cardboard or a tiny tap from the back can make a car go flying into orbit.  OR the fact that Sanchez (Dirtbike) can pit maneuver a 4 x 4 Truck (Sandking).

In GTA 4,. it actually punished people for ramming players.  You would come to complete stop if you rammed someone.  You would also probably have a messed up front end while the guy in front barely wipes out.

In GTA V you can ram someone full speed, transfer your speed to them and sending them flying, while still maintaining near full speed.  This makes no sense.

I am not aware of that. does that only occur in online racing? then it's nothing to blame, it might be the internet connection lag. so far that never happened to me.

GrndZero
  • GrndZero

Old enough to be your dad.

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:43 PM Edited by GrndZero, 04 December 2013 - 04:46 PM.

I am not aware of that. does that only occur in online racing? then it's nothing to blame, it might be the internet connection lag. so far that never happened to me.

Everything he stated is true. This is the reason a lot of people have been making these clean racing crews, because rammers in racing is such a problem. R* essentially gave the rammer-jammers a bump up in this game. Barely tap a car and it will sent it flying in most cases.

Pitting is far to easy to pull off in this game and I think the reason it is there is because of how they engineered the cops to pull pit maneuvers on you.

Edit_ in response to your other post, The main reason I got a Carbonizzare is for drifting. If you can get the physics of it down, it is a very competent drifting car, same with the Coquette.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:44 PM Edited by Vooodu, 04 December 2013 - 04:46 PM.

No its not internet connection and its not just in racing.  Its the cars weight/crash mechanics.

I mean, go shoot some cops.   Let one of them chase you.  Drive slow and let them crash into you from the back, and you will go flying as if your car has no weight.  NO WAY in hell any car can ram anyone from the back, transfer their full speed to the rammed car and still drive fast.  It makes no sense.

I mean, the traction in GTA V is great until you loose it. Then you become light as a feather and fly away.

O well. Maybe R* might try and fix it.  But I doubt it.  Still love the game tho..lol

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

I mean, go shoot some cops.   Let one of them chase you.  Drive slow and let them crash into you from the back, and you will go flying as if your car has no weight.  NO WAY in hell any car can ram anyone from the back, transfer their full speed to the rammed car and still drive fast.  It makes no sense.

Well, the first part is true. Police cruiser slams into the rear of your vehicle and it does fly forward or spins out. However the reverse is not the case. If your vehicle (e.g. Trevor's Canis Bodhi) slams into another vehicle (e.g. Weeny Issi) it will stop dead in its tracks as if hitting a brick wall - no transfer of momentum at all - Newton is spinning in his grave. And this is the same Canis Bodhi that pushed a Mobile Trailer Home into a river with only a ten feet run-up. Go figure!

• GTAfear, Sting4S and QuietJosh like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm full of sh*t for thinking the driving is easy? You're crazy! It is easy! :lol: It requires no skills higher the basic: accelerate, steer, brake.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:42 AM

This generic dumbing down of car control is why people like you think this game's driving physics suck. To say "cars are hard to control on grass" is WAY too generalized to be accurate. You have to consider the type of car, the tires, the type of grass AND its length, the weather conditions, how the car has been modified, the driver's skill, the car's suspension (driving in grass almost always means dealing with potted, uneven ground), whether the car is front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive, and a myriad of other aspects. That you would even make this statement in such a blanketed sense shows you lack a serious amount of knowledge.

Dann_47
  • Dann_47

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

No its not internet connection and its not just in racing.  Its the cars weight/crash mechanics.

I mean, the traction in GTA V is great until you loose it. Then you become light as a feather and fly away.

O well. Maybe R* might try and fix it.  But I doubt it.  Still love the game tho..lol

When cops tend to hit me from behind i braked my car, sending their cruiser to spun out and sends more engine damage to them, but yeah, it is still hard to get control of it though.

and you could have a pretty bad car shape back there.

anyways, in online, people get really dirty by hitting me from behind and sending my car spinning of the tracks. that, i could not agree. it sometimes piss me off.

oh yes, this is worse if you are actually turrning your car over.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm full of sh*t for thinking the driving is easy? You're crazy! It is easy! :lol: It requires no skills higher the basic: accelerate, steer, brake.

If driving is easy are you saying you win every race with your eyes closed?  As if 'Through the Grapevine' with traffic on against a FULL lobby is easy to race.. Right?

Ya. You're full of sh*t.  And yes, it does require skill.  Maybe you should stop racing criminal records?

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

If driving is easy are you saying you win every race with your eyes closed?  As if 'Through the Grapevine' with traffic on against a FULL lobby is easy to race.. Right?

Ya. You're full of sh*t.  And yes, it does require skill.  Maybe you should stop racing criminal records?
No offense, but that kind of logic is so dumb that it barely makes sense. The physics to me are easy because you can make a corner without much consequence. The steering is easier, braking feels assisted, and the way cars drift is very forgiving. That is easy.

Your argument is seriously annul. Just because I feel the driving is easy does not mean that I will win every race just- you know what this isn't worth explaining to you because there is just so much wrong with that statement. I'll just leave you with an example:

The Turismo in IV is easy to drive. It goes wherever you point it, it doesn't oversteet or understeer unless you anticpate doing so, braking is opted with ABS, and it is fast. But if I race against drivers of my level in the exact same car and don't win, that does not mean that the driving is hard. That logic is unheard of and just plain sucks.
  • namor and FasterThanYou like this

THEBIGZED
  • THEBIGZED

For an annoying dick, you really are an annoying dick.

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

I just sent a message to Mouthoff about the driving. I'm guessing the chances for an answer are quite small. Has anyone gotten an answer from Rockstar?

Dann_47
  • Dann_47

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

well, obviously rockstar wont answer to change the handling perception. this is the only thing that they want from us :

1. MONEY $$$ and not our PROBLEMS

because ive sent them 4 requests only one is solved. i was like, speechless.

Tehguy123
  • Tehguy123

Yeah Mr White... yeah science!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

For those who are disappointed with the handling and damage then:

Dann_47
  • Dann_47

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:57 PM Edited by Dann_47, 06 December 2013 - 05:44 PM.

For those who are disappointed with the handling and damage then:

Felt like downloading the simulator above :p

Anyway, I think GTA V will be more suck if r* used that engine/simulator

it has too soft body physics, and considering me driving those soft body cars, i could fail any speed driving or chasing missions in no time, despite of the car to take a heavy damage even hitting a rock.

and the gravitational force is too low, drive fast and your car could fly nowhere. but i am actually quite eager to see gta vi uses that engine. lol

nice posting, might google it or torrent download it 

KIFFLOM, brother brother

EDIT : I COMPARED THIS TO GTA V, AND THIS TURNED OUT TO BE WAY BETTER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users