Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,862 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2611 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1023 votes [39.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.18%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (730 votes [27.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.96%

3. Indifferent (121 votes [4.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (310 votes [11.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.87%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (427 votes [16.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote
TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

It's simple. To me the driving in GTA V is like getting a Formula 1 and racing it around a circuit like Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi where it's fast flowing and smooth. The only time cars ever really get unsettled is when you clip another car. In GTA IV there are bumps in the road and the kerbs/gutters can also really screw things up if you hit them the wrong way.

The biggest thing I've noticed between GTA IV and GTA V is with GTA IV you have to really muscle the cars around corners and control weight transfer over the rear (unless it's front wheel drive) whereas GTA V basically does everything else and all you have to do is brake, accelerate and steer.

Apparently every car has slick racing tyres, 1000kg of front and rear downforce, coil over suspension and can accelerate as good as any Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche etc. :/

• Scaglietti likes this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Recently played through Deadly Premonition, and as bad as the driving is(more so with the faster cars, at least), it STILL has better physics than V.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

It's simple. To me the driving in GTA V is like getting a Formula 1 and racing it around a circuit like Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi where it's fast flowing and smooth. The only time cars ever really get unsettled is when you clip another car. In GTA IV there are bumps in the road and the kerbs/gutters can also really screw things up if you hit them the wrong way.

The biggest thing I've noticed between GTA IV and GTA V is with GTA IV you have to really muscle the cars around corners and control weight transfer over the rear (unless it's front wheel drive) whereas GTA V basically does everything else and all you have to do is brake, accelerate and steer.

Apparently every car has slick racing tyres, 1000kg of front and rear downforce, coil over suspension and can accelerate as good as any Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche etc. :/

Yeah, but apparently that is an improvement to most people; not having to care about anything other than steering, braking, or accelerating. I personally loved learning how to work each car around a corner. The Presidente just drives so fun in my opinion. I loved pushing it hard around the corners at Francis International Airport's taxiways and runways. Yeah the car body rolls, but it gave the car personality and you needed skills to drive it well -- what with its mediocre ABS and heavy weight feel.

killdrivetheftvehicle
  • killdrivetheftvehicle

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

I noticed that the driving is much more about handling high speeds and no room to overtake than about the difficulty of the actual driving like in IV. This is different, but not necesserily bad.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:43 PM Edited by iProinsias, 27 November 2013 - 03:45 PM.

They aren't completely sh*tty drivers, but they oversteer a lot and quite frankly that is a "con" when it comes to driving, albeit it is fun.

Yes, they´re horribly balanced, but that makes them fun as the rear is always sliding but it does it in a progressive and always saveable way. So you can go through corners all crossed up.

Slow and not efficient, but lots of fun to drive (and watch).

...yeah, muscle cars are slow as sh*t. Idiot. Like I said, you know jack sh*t about cars. A lot of speedy cars won't navigate "challenging roads" very well if they aren't built for it, dolt. That's like saying a Porsche boxster sucks on rally car courses. No f*cking sh*t. It wasn't meant for that. It doesn't make it inferior.

Well problem for you is that indeed I know some sh*t about cars. And no matter how much of a muscle fanboy you are, these are still sh*t performance wise. Car´s performance is measured on how fast, safe and cheap they make it from A to B. So yes, they´re poor performance wise, because they´re slow and not balanced vehicles.

You keep saying they weren´t built for that as an excuse. And I already told you an everyday coupe or sedan isn´t built for speed and performance either. They´re mant to be cheap, safe and comfortable. They´re even less competition/speed oriented than a muscle as they´re full of habitability stuff a muscle will lack. Yet they are faster and more balanced cars even lacking loads of power against them. AND THEY AREN´T BUILT FOR SPEED AND RACING EITHER.

...no. A car's value to cost ratio is dependent on fuel consumption, and it's safety rating is completely seperate from it's general performance (which is more about handling, acceleration, and top speed). Second, are you an idiot? There is no way a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry could ever outpace a '66 Mustang or a '69 GTO (unless someone like you is driving the GTO).

And I DO love muscle cars, but I'm certainly not a fanboy. I actually like even older cars a lot more, the 1938 Packard being my favorite car ever.

2edgy4me
  • 2edgy4me

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

just picked up gta v, didni't get it on launch day coz i found out the handling is gonna be gay like saints row.....and after playin for a while i can confirm it, its gay like saints row, atleast for the ps3 and xbox versions, im now waiting for the PC version to use handling mods. 

Do explain how the driving is "gay"? What, does it like other driving physics of the same type? Hmm? No. You are just an un-educated 10 year old. I bet you didn't pick it up on launch is because your mommy wouldn't take you. Because, you know, 12am is past your bed-time. c*nt.

2edgy

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

IV's driving worked for the game

V's driving worked for the game

That is the way I see it. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

I only somewhat agree with you. Maybe the driving in V fits the "fun" arcade vibe, but all those beautiful northern Los Santos hilly roads seem to go all to waste with the driving physics in the game.

• B Dawg likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

I only somewhat agree with you. Maybe the driving in V fits the "fun" arcade vibe, but all those beautiful northern Los Santos hilly roads seem to go all to waste with the driving physics in the game.

2edgy4me
  • 2edgy4me

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

I have no issue with the driving mechanics, what I really have an issue with is that I cant change the driving controls, R2 & L2 suck, need the option of X & Square put in as its ruining the game for me currently, im making mistakes I would never make in GTAIV etc because im instinctively pressing X & square instead of R2/L2, plus I can use my thumb for both instead of 2 fingers on buttons which are awkward to use at best!

Come on R* update it so we can change the controls!!!

But with that system, you have no control over your acceleration. Its either: 

Go fast

Don't go at all

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:43 PM Edited by iProinsias, 27 November 2013 - 06:45 PM.

Anyone who thinks GTA 5's driving physics are "arcade", you're foolish. You wanna see some "arcade" driving physics, go play Sleeping Dogs.

Note: I'm not insulting that game, as a huge fan of martial arts movies and HKBOs, I love Sleeping Dogs, and the arcade style of driving perfectly suits that game, I'm just saying the driving physics are wholly unrealistic.

"Press X to ram"? C'mon.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:22 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 27 November 2013 - 08:29 PM.

...no. A car's value to cost ratio is dependent on fuel consumption.

How much power you get from the same ammount of fuel IS performance, even in racing, let alone in the road. Just like how much acceleration you get out from every HP is. And these are two big reasons why muscle suck.

and it's safety rating is completely seperate from it's general performance (which is more about handling, acceleration, and top speed).

Balance is safety, and balance is performance too. Wasn´t talking about airbags there, more about electronic assists and general balance, weight distribution, etc.

Second, are you an idiot? There is no way a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry could ever outpace a '66 Mustang or a '69 GTO.

No, YOU are an idiot. Yes, these will lose, and my road bycicle will too, and my parakeet might be outpaced too, he´s not fit. But even a stupid Seat Ibiza FR any idiot has around here will make one of these cars eat the dust as soon as they leave the highway, with half the power, which is really depressing. And let´s not talk about any half assed Audi/BMW, let´s say a direct equivalent of the in game Sentinel.

And I DO love muscle cars, but I'm certainly not a fanboy. 

Yes, you´re a fanboy, not because you appreciate these cars, which I do too, but because you live in denial about its shortcommings.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Anyone who thinks GTA 5's driving physics are "arcade", you're foolish. You wanna see some "arcade" driving physics, go play Sleeping Dogs.

That Congo exists doesn´t make Morocco any good.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

I have no issue with the driving mechanics, what I really have an issue with is that I cant change the driving controls, R2 & L2 suck, need the option of X & Square put in as its ruining the game for me currently, im making mistakes I would never make in GTAIV etc because im instinctively pressing X & square instead of R2/L2, plus I can use my thumb for both instead of 2 fingers on buttons which are awkward to use at best!

Go fast

Don't go at all

The old system actually makes more sense for GTA V, while the new L2 R2 system made more sense for IV.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

Anyone who thinks GTA 5's driving physics are "arcade", you're foolish.

I really beg to differ. :sly: Don't even try me...

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

They really are not that arcadey and it depends on the car you are driving. Cars like the Futo and the Sabre can drift just fine while the super high end cars have great handling and grip which is actually how it is in real life and there are a lot more super cars in this game than in IV.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

They really are not that arcadey and it depends on the car you are driving. Cars like the Futo and the Sabre can drift just fine while the super high end cars have great handling and grip which is actually how it is in real life and there are a lot more super cars in this game than in IV.

Believe me, the Koenigsegg CCX does not handle like the Overflod Entity XF. While the Entity XF is like super grippy and effortless to drive, the CCX is... well it is like a nightmare but a fun one. It loses traction like crazy and is quite drifty, almost like too fast to handle, and to top it off it has a manual transmission.

Honestly, I can understand how someone can like V's handling more, but I'll be damned if you think it is realistic. The only the realistic seems to be the sense of speed. Real cars just do not handle like the ones in V.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Honestly, I can understand how someone can like V's handling more, but I'll be damned if you think it is realistic. The only the realistic seems to be the sense of speed. Real cars just do not handle like the ones in V.

Real cars can't be controlled in the air either. GTA V's driving realistic? lol. No.

Nurburgring
  • Nurburgring

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

For me, it is simple: I'm very happy about the driving cheat. Looks like every car is a kart with the normal mode. Really disappointing. I simply cant play this game without it. If this cheat didn't exist, I will have sell my copy a long time ago. Hope they return to the gt4 set up on the next gta...
For the rest of the game, it is a masterpiece !

Nurburgring
  • Nurburgring

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Go fast

Don't go at all

False. The X and square buttons are proportionnal, more you push, more you accelarate (or brake).
  • namor likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Real cars can't be controlled in the air either. GTA V's driving realistic? lol. No.

But believe it or not you could do this in IV, albeit it was more limited. Basically when you make a jump, you take your had off the gas and hold an E-brake button. There you can basically help your car land on it's wheels instead of it's roof. V does make this much easier and less limited thus more unrealistic.

And honestly real cars don't handle like they're on rails, the cars in V feel like that though. I drove an Infernus on Francis International Airport's runways and you could feel the weight and the way the car steered felt believable. If you drive an Infernus on LSX's runways it'll handle like it is on rails. It won't feel like it has AWD limits, quite frankly you won't feel the excess grip that AWD cars usually have. And for some unknown reason, you can make a corner going nearly 200mph and no drift at all and there somehow won't be any understeer. That just doesn't feel right.

In real life, I'm sure if you just did a sharp turn going 205mph in a Murcielago, the car would skid out, understeer horribly, or if you're unlucky it might flip if you hit some uneven ground.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

In real life, I'm sure if you just did a sharp turn going 205mph in a Murcielago, the car would skid out, understeer horribly, or if you're unlucky it might flip if you hit some uneven ground.

And then you land on your roof and explode ... oh sorry, playing too much GTA V right here.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

And then you land on your roof and explode ... oh sorry, playing too much GTA V right here.

lol I know you're joking, but it really grinds me gears how cars in V explode so easily. I mean at least in IV the car you were in never exploded unless it was on fire from the wheels for over 10 seconds. In V, you'll explode if you land on anything that isn't your wheels from heights even as low as like 15 feet.

I know its a game, but f*cking really? Do you know I lost a maxed out Truffade Adder -- although I didn't save of course -- because I made a small jump over a hill and landed on the front of the car (where the f*cking trunk is) and exploded -- from a fall that wasn't even nearly high! Its annoying, feels so cheap, I just preferred it the way it was in IV. Where you could make small errors performing stunts yet still survive, when your car never exploded because it landed on it's roof. Hell, in V, I remember seeing an SUV drive into a barrier and somehow explode. That is like worse than the Transporter 2 when a rig somehow exploded a W140 S Class by ramming it.

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

The reason the cars explode so easily is because the retarded 12-year-olds this game is aimed at think that explosions are so WICKED TOTALLY RAD YO.

Face it, this is a game for 12-year-olds.

• GTA_fear likes this

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

The reason the cars explode so easily is because the retarded 12-year-olds this game is aimed at think that explosions are so WICKED TOTALLY RAD YO.

Face it, this is a game for 12-year-olds.

For sure. After all, what 12 year old SHOULDN'T watch one meth head f*ck another from behind? And clearly all the talk of economic inequality is right up a 12 year old's alley.

Holy sh*t some of the people posting here are dumb.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:07 AM

And you're contributing to the dumbness. ;)

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

And what did that post just contribute to this thread? A dumbass using lame emoticons? You're a moron.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Then what do you consider it to be overall? 

Also, someone show me a video of a car doing 200 mph+ in GTA V without the special ability and slidey car cheat.

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

And what did that post just contribute to this thread? A dumbass using lame emoticons? You're a moron.

:yawn: Oh god- please do us all a favor and grow up! Stop being a hot headed, irritable, and imbecilic dork. Stop insulting every body, stop being a god damned hypocrite, if you can't do that then just leave this thread because nobody wants you here you annoy the crud out of all of us! You're just another senseless, newcomer spammer.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:23 AM

:yawn: Oh god- please do us all a favor and grow up! Stop being a hot headed, irritable, and imbecilic dork. Stop insulting every body, stop being a god damned hypocrite, if you can't do that then just leave this thread because nobody wants you here you annoy the crud out of all of us! You're just another senseless, newcomer spammer.

The most obvious sign of a dipsh*t, arrogant asshole, speaking for anyone but himself. How pathetic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users