Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,857 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2585 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1012 votes [39.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.15%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (722 votes [27.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.93%

3. Indifferent (120 votes [4.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.64%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (307 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (424 votes [16.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Very nice "f*ck off" from you. Either I hit a nerve or you're overly sensitve and/or immature. Precisely, if you'd took the time to read my posts in this thread, you'd know that I actually have gripes with IV's handling as well, including the body roll. ;)

Let me begin first, that when I played Forza 4 after weeks of playing V, I got hit hard in the face. It required more skill and it felt less over the top. But I forced myself to play it more and within an hour I was pushing an RS5 B8 along the Nürburgring having fun again, like I used to.

Back on topic; I recall myself saying that I thought IV's body roll was a little excessive and that The Ballad of Gay Tony slightly improved it. I also said that some of the cars do, in fact, lose traction too much. Again, I did say that IV's handling was not perfect and personally I'd rate it at a decent 8.3, and V's at a mediocre 6.8! My problem with V is:
There is no weight shifting
The suspension is almost nonexistant
There is too much grip
Steering feels numb
The cars don't feel unique in their own ways
Now that is my opinion. Don't take it all as facts.

Now I had an issue with your original post because you said it was like impossible to steer a Super GT around a corner going over 15 miles an hour. That is not true. If you actually go into a corner, making sure your speed isn't too slow nor fast, you shouldn't have a problem cornering. And with my experience, you definitely shouldn't have a problem because the Super GT oversteers into a corner at high speeds. The Turismo is almost precise, the Infernus understeers, and the Comet is... meh it feels very sloppy driving that in my opinion.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:24 PM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 21 November 2013 - 08:25 PM.

Very nice "f*ck off" from you. Either I hit a nerve or you're overly sensitve and/or immature. Precisely, if you'd took the time to read my posts in this thread, you'd know that I actually have gripes with IV's handling as well, including the body roll. ;)

Let me begin first, that when I played Forza 4 after weeks of playing V, I got hit hard in the face. It required more skill and it felt less over the top. But I forced myself to play it more and within an hour I was pushing an RS5 B8 along the Nürburgring having fun again, like I used to.

Back on topic; I recall myself saying that I thought IV's body roll was a little excessive and that The Ballad of Gay Tony slightly improved it. I also said that some of the cars do, in fact, lose traction too much. Again, I did say that IV's handling was not perfect and personally I'd rate it at a decent 8.3, and V's at a mediocre 6.8! My problem with V is:
There is no weight shifting
The suspension is almost nonexistant
There is too much grip
Steering feels numb
The cars don't feel unique in their own ways
Now that is my opinion. Don't take it all as facts.

Now I had an issue with your original post because you said it was like impossible to steer a Super GT around a corner going over 15 miles an hour. That is not true. If you actually go into a corner, making sure your speed isn't too slow nor fast, you shouldn't have a problem cornering. And with my experience, you definitely shouldn't have a problem because the Super GT oversteers into a corner at high speeds. The Turismo is almost precise, the Infernus understeers, and the Comet is... meh it feels very sloppy driving that in my opinion.

My original post is referring to a gameplay session I had a few days ago, going back to GTA IV's online. So you'd imagine how awful my driving skills would be after months of GTA V's sh*tfest of a driving. While V lets you accelerate to about 10 feet before a corner, BRAKE, and then turn fast as sh*t... IV on the other hand, requires much more thinking. I like it but, its just how it felt for me. It felt like I couldn't turn a Super GT on a corner without hitting half of the opposing street's lamps, mailboxes, pedestrians, walls.

Let's be more polite from now on, shall we ? ;)

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Okay, sure. ;)
  • ThroatSlasher2 likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:28 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 21 November 2013 - 09:31 PM.

No need to get insulting pal. Im just saying my opinion.

No, you´re talking lies straight away. People talking bullsh*t always taking cover behind "it´s an opinion".

It´s not, it´s a measurable thing. A super GT can make it around any corner faster than that. So stop talking nonsense. Be precise when you talk and avoid lies. Thank you very much.

Now, if what you were trying to say with that lie is that 5 replicates better than 4 the cornering performance of any given vehicle class, only thing I can tell is you´re wrong. It doesn´t matter how many lamp posts you hit, it matters at what speed what car can make it through safely, and how close is that to a similar real stock vehicle.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

I don't think the way car handles in V is the problem, but the way they impact the world and how the world impacts them. The fact that you can't push out of your way, a small compact Toyota when you're inside a Hummer, is bad. I also think the fact that you cannot turn an Aston Martin around a corner properly, driving at 15 mph, in GTA IV is also bad. If they could come together, that would be great.

Yea dude, that would make a better game. I also agree about the Super GT. That's the car I like to drive the most, and not only because it's fun, but I look into details when playing. If you play IV as of now, you could see what he means. I also have my friends around watching the car when making sharp turns, high speed bypass, and drifting to ask them what it looks like I was doing. Skill has nothing to do here, its more of a observation type deal.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

Are you people going to argue non-stop all the way to page 80? This is really really long, it should stop :p

• Midnightz likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

I don't think the way car handles in V is the problem, but the way they impact the world and how the world impacts them. The fact that you can't push out of your way, a small compact Toyota when you're inside a Hummer, is bad. I also think the fact that you cannot turn an Aston Martin around a corner properly, driving at 15 mph, in GTA IV is also bad. If they could come together, that would be great.

Yea dude, that would make a better game. I also agree about the Super GT. That's the car I like to drive the most, and not only because it's fun, but I look into details when playing. If you play IV as of now, you could see what he means. I also have my friends around watching the car when making sharp turns, high speed bypass, and drifting to ask them what it looks like I was doing. Skill has nothing to do here, its more of a observation type deal.
The point you're attempting to make is rather unclear.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

@woggleman because people want to see the game evolve with the tech as it progresses. which is something they could have easily improved upon with the driving in the 5 years this game was in development for. and i personally dont know where your getting all of the negative feedback IV apparantly had. reviews for the game praised it for its leap in physics. and i reeeeeally dont give two f*cks about what other forums on the internet say. you gotta think, a huge majority of the people who bought IV and V dont go out of their way to go online and rage about what they dont like about the game. so theres really no way to know for sure how many more people like or dislike the driving aspect with IV and V. so your arguement is based purely on very flawed statistics.

Go do a search on GTA IV vs Saint's Row 2 and see what game wins most polls. There is plenty of negative feedback against IV.

God you really have issues. You want to depend on this whole, "The majority agrees with me" bullsh*t so that you feel like you're right. I can do a search and see a bunch of people hating on Saints Row and saying IV is a much better game. I don't know where you've done your search, on a Saints Row forum? Or, maybe, just maybe, you like Saints Rows so much that you're trying to use it as an example as to why you think IV is a bad game.

I am just telling it like it is and explaining why they wanted to get away from IV so much. I like IV and I like this game both very much but if something produces the kind of reaction IV did it only makes sense for a company to do things different.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

@woggleman because people want to see the game evolve with the tech as it progresses. which is something they could have easily improved upon with the driving in the 5 years this game was in development for. and i personally dont know where your getting all of the negative feedback IV apparantly had. reviews for the game praised it for its leap in physics. and i reeeeeally dont give two f*cks about what other forums on the internet say. you gotta think, a huge majority of the people who bought IV and V dont go out of their way to go online and rage about what they dont like about the game. so theres really no way to know for sure how many more people like or dislike the driving aspect with IV and V. so your arguement is based purely on very flawed statistics.

Go do a search on GTA IV vs Saint's Row 2 and see what game wins most polls. There is plenty of negative feedback against IV.

God you really have issues. You want to depend on this whole, "The majority agrees with me" bullsh*t so that you feel like you're right. I can do a search and see a bunch of people hating on Saints Row and saying IV is a much better game. I don't know where you've done your search, on a Saints Row forum? Or, maybe, just maybe, you like Saints Rows so much that you're trying to use it as an example as to why you think IV is a bad game.

I am just telling it like it is and explaining why they wanted to get away from IV so much. I like IV and I like this game both very much but if something produces the kind of reaction IV did it only makes sense for a company to do things different.

That is true that they'll want to change things up. But they'll probably have to change things up after V too. I don't know if you're trying to see only what you want to see, but V is receiving a lot of hate.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

That is true that they'll want to change things up. But they'll probably have to change things up after V too. I don't know if you're trying to see only what you want to see, but V is receiving a lot of hate.

Which just goes to show that most people will never be happy and complain no matter what so they should do what they want. Now R knows this so they should stop listening to the public and go with their own instincts. 

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

No need to get insulting pal. Im just saying my opinion.

No, you´re talking lies straight away. People talking bullsh*t always taking cover behind "it´s an opinion".

It´s not, it´s a measurable thing. A super GT can make it around any corner faster than that. So stop talking nonsense. Be precise when you talk and avoid lies. Thank you very much.

Now, if what you were trying to say with that lie is that 5 replicates better than 4 the cornering performance of any given vehicle class, only thing I can tell is you´re wrong. It doesn´t matter how many lamp posts you hit, it matters at what speed what car can make it through safely, and how close is that to a similar real stock vehicle.

What im trying to say is that neither V nor IV replicates best the cornering performance of cars in general. One is too responsive and too quick, while the other is too sloppy and heavy.

• Midnightz likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

Which just goes to show that most people will never be happy and complain no matter what so they should do what they want. Now R knows this so they should stop listening to the public and go with their own instincts. 

Well ain't that the truth. I'd rather them do things the way they want -- though not EA style -- without being influenced by either sides, it was better that way in my opinion.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

Well ain't that the truth. I'd rather them do things the way they want -- though not EA style -- without being influenced by either sides, it was better that way in my opinion.

Agreed, GTA IV feels like a much more natural product than GTA V does. It just flows better altogether.

• Scaglietti likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

What im trying to say is that neither V nor IV replicates best the cornering performance of cars in general. One is too responsive and too quick, while the other is too sloppy and heavy.

You´re playing a stupid trick mate. As neither are spot on, they´re equally bad according to you.

But no, they´re not offset to the same degree. IV was A BIT too rolly, V is WAY too responsive. IV was overall much better and way closer to being spot on.

Smartzenegger
  • Smartzenegger

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

I made a video about driving in gta 5 online, Here is a link if your interested.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y_icQk0ssQc

also check out my other videos there pretty good.

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

After two seconds my eyes started to bleed watching this abortion to Newton's Laws of Physics.

• Scaglietti likes this

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

I made a video about driving in gta 5 online, Here is a link if your interested.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y_icQk0ssQc

also check out my other videos there pretty good.

Wtf is that? 

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

You´re playing a stupid trick mate. As neither are spot on, they´re equally bad according to you.

But no, they´re not offset to the same degree. IV was A BIT too rolly, V is WAY too responsive. IV was overall much better and way closer to being spot on.

They're not equally bad. They're not bad actually. I can have fun with both of them. Depends on what I feel like doing. If I want a fast thrilling ride in a sports car without accident, moving at the speed of light constantly, then I'll go with V. If I want a more challenging, yet rewarding driving experience, I'll go for IV. I find positives and negatives in both. I respect your opinion and hope you enjoy yourself while playing both games.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I insist, that neither is spot on doesn´t make them equally good or bad. 4 had slight imbalances, 5 has huge ones.

On what you´re saying, sadly I don´t enjoy both, that´s the problem, and that´s why I´m writing here.

I only enjoy 5 when it rains. Cars don´t slow down stupidly fast anymore. Cars don´t turn in like spaceships anymore. The grip levels in the rain should have been the dry weather ones, then I would still have some fun despite the non-existant suspension physics.

But I can´t enjoy anymore when excessive grip levels and non-existant suspensions come together. It´s just too much of a joke.

• THEBIGZED likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Union Of Flesh And Machine

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Too bad you can't adjust constant rain in multiplayer like in IV.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

I insist, that neither is spot on doesn´t make them equally good or bad. 4 had slight imbalances, 5 has huge ones.

On what you´re saying, sadly I don´t enjoy both, that´s the problem, and that´s why I´m writing here.

I only enjoy 5 when it rains. Cars don´t slow down stupidly fast anymore. Cars don´t turn in like spaceships anymore. The grip levels in the rain should have been the dry weather ones, then I would still have some fun despite the non-existant suspension physics.

But I can´t enjoy anymore when excessive grip levels and non-existant suspensions come together. It´s just too much of a joke.

You want to have a challenge while driving in V ? Drive like a normal person ! Hahaha that sh*t is impossible since you can turn on a f*ckin dime. It was much better in IV.

Archangelsky
  • Archangelsky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:08 PM Edited by Archangelsky, 23 November 2013 - 08:09 PM.

I've posted to this thread a couple of times but you know the reason why driving is so important to GTA is not dependent on the player being a car nut or fanatic, the reason lies at the very core of the open world genre; EXPLORATION. Other thing that's super important for me is IMMERSION, both of these things are ruined by the driving as it is in GTAV. It's not even that the driving is arcadey (SA had relatively arcadey driving yet it worked), it's that the driving is at odds with the style of most other aspects of  gameplay, player movement especially. Running around, jumping etc. feels pretty grounded (if you don't take in account the fall damage) but the moment you start driving a car it's like you started up another game.

I want a cohesive package and GTA5 is not that. Clearly they thought of all the different types of players who'll get the game since they have a bunch of these different aiming modes, so why the hell is there not similar options for driving? How could they think it was a good idea to simply offer one extremely arcadey driving option and leave everyone who enjoys realistic driving physics totally in the dark.

I always knew that driving could be the achilles heel of this game but I never thought it would eventually evaporate my interest in the game almost entirely.

This is basically it, they should have included an option for one of the most central core features of the game, I can not understand what R* was thinking, maybe they didn't for all I know.

Look at Mafia II, there is an option for arcade or simulation when it comes to driving, and from what I have seen, even the arcade setting on Mafia II puts the physics of the cars of GTA V to shame.

For me hopefully GTA V will be released on PC and modded.

• THEBIGZED likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Too bad you can't adjust constant rain in multiplayer like in IV.

Another downgrade: in 4 you could pick sunny, foggy, light rain and heavy rain.

Here you just have "rain" (which is light). And I know for a fact that driving in heavy rain in V is sort of enjoyable because when it happens in free roam is quite good.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

You want to have a challenge while driving in V ? Drive like a normal person ! Hahaha that sh*t is impossible since you can turn on a f*ckin dime. It was much better in IV.

Exactly, lol. It is a shame I can't even roleplay as a normal driver in V without problems. And if you somehow do feel comfortable, you'll be discomforted every 10 minutes by those dumb ass scripted NPC cop chases that spawn behind you and 90% of the time cause you to get rear ended.

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

Diesleman
  • Diesleman

If thou' ist wanting some, thou' shall receive.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Dude, over tune the right cars and you can have this all the time. Complaining about the driving months after release. Have you tuned and driven cars like the futo, Phoenix, viger etc but with stock suspension?

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:44 AM Edited by Aragrox, 24 November 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Exactly, lol. It is a shame I can't even roleplay as a normal driver in V without problems. And if you somehow do feel comfortable, you'll be discomforted every 10 minutes by those dumb ass scripted NPC cop chases that spawn behind you and 90% of the time cause you to get rear ended.

I know how you feel. You would think after a decade they would have a descent traffic AI/npc scripts.  

I don't care what nobody say's, but gta IV has the worst traffic AI then any gta ever made.angry_troll_face_png_by_nfc_by_ninetails

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:44 AM Edited by StingrayX, 24 November 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Man, its a shame that I miss body roll. :(

2013_bmw_m5_us-version_6_1280x960.jpg

@Above: I disagree. :/ San Andreas had the worse driving AI, then III, Vice City, V, and then IV.

I hate V's AI.

iProinsias
  • iProinsias

Chen Zhen

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:08 AM

Hahah, I love how as I've been reading through this thread people are saying things like "these people that don't like the handling can't drive", as if there's ANY correlation between driving in the game and real life driving skill. I've liked the handling in both 4 and 5, but anyone dumb enough to try and say if you can't drive well in this game means you can't drive in real life is an idiot. There is no way buttons and a joystick can ever allow you to translate real life driving skill into the game. Rockstar did a fine job with the car handling in GTA 5. Sure, its no racing sim, but its not meant to be, and that's fine. It's not a matter of trying to drive realistically, its a matter of learning the driving physics and then implementing what you've learned effectively. If you can't do that, don't blame the game. Its not realistic for Sam Gideon to slide all over the battlefield in his ARS suit in the game Vanquish, but you learn how it works, and use it as effectively as you can in battle. Think of cars in GTA 5 as your ARS suit,

• Midnightz likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hahah, I love how as I've been reading through this thread people are saying things like "these people that don't like the handling can't drive", as if there's ANY correlation between driving in the game and real life driving skill. I've liked the handling in both 4 and 5, but anyone dumb enough to try and say if you can't drive well in this game means you can't drive in real life is an idiot. There is no way buttons and a joystick can ever allow you to translate real life driving skill into the game. Rockstar did a fine job with the car handling in GTA 5. Sure, its no racing sim, but its not meant to be, and that's fine. It's not a matter of trying to drive realistically, its a matter of learning the driving physics and then implementing what you've learned effectively. If you can't do that, don't blame the game. Its not realistic for Sam Gideon to slide all over the battlefield in his ARS suit in the game Vanquish, but you learn how it works, and use it as effectively as you can in battle. Think of cars in GTA 5 as your ARS suit,

I haven't read posts of people saying, "If you can't drive in IV you can't drive in real life" I have read posts where people say if you can't drive in IV, you're lacking skill. Well, if you find yourself crashing or "sliding" too much, that might be true. What they did to V's driving was dumbing it down, no doubt about it. Whether it is better or not, that is down to opinions.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

I haven't read posts of people saying, "If you can't drive in IV you can't drive in real life" I have read posts where people say if you can't drive in IV, you're lacking skill. Well, if you find yourself crashing or "sliding" too much, that might be true. What they did to V's driving was dumbing it down, no doubt about it. Whether it is better or not, that is down to opinions.

You could be suprised the number of people I know that still suck at driving, even in GTA V. How can someone suck in a game that lets you control your car/SUV in the air like a f*cking skateboard is beyond me.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users