Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,293 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2310 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (919 votes [39.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.78%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (640 votes [27.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.71%

3. Indifferent (102 votes [4.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.42%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (271 votes [11.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.73%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (378 votes [16.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Militia
  • Militia

Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Realism, just walk out of your f*cking house!

But I can't buy a nice Dodge Charger and flip other cars over by ramming them in the side :( It's all about balance between arcade and realistic.

It's so real how we die in the game and respawn at a hospital for a measily 5000 bucks.  How real is that, eh?

The whole realism is bullsh*t, imo.  I am playing games cuz I want to be in a fantasy, not real life...

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

If you thought the cars were hard to control in IV, well then seriously you don't have much experience at all. Also, yes the body roll was exaggerated in IV, but TBoGT fixed that. If you look at the way cars turn -- and I'm talking about turning hard into a corner -- you will see excessive body roll. That, to me, is better than 5% body roll and barely a suspension (V).

I personally felt that learning how to control each car was fun in IV, but that is just me. I do have my gripes with IV's handling though.The grip is better than V, but it isn't really that great. I find cornering in IV funner but sometimes you just lose grip too easily. I didn't really have a problem with this until I played Horizon. And the sense of speed in IV is lacking to me. In V it is better but of course the handling in V is just lacking to me as well. :/

@Other post, yeah. V's handling is definitely not my cup of tea, but San Andreas was worse.

@Militia, well you're the arcade type of gamer, I suppose.

Indeed, I like arcade games.  I play games because they are not real.  Realism, just walk out of your f*cking house!

Man that's some dumb logic. Since when was IV's driving physics ultra-realism? Additionally, I don't have the funds to go out and buy a f*cking Aston Martin Vantage S nor the time to travel to Southern California and have fun on some canyon roads. Games are no longer just "play because this isn't real" anymore. Again, why do you think Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport, or Airplane Simulators were made? GTA isn't realism, yeah, but I'd like a few believable features because that is fun to me. Realism and fun aren't exactly two different things. Realism in games is fun to some.

• Cartman28279 likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

66 pages later, 5´s driving lovers are still having to resort to verbal acrobatics due to the lack of actual on-topic arguments to defend the mess this aspect of the game is.

• GTAfear, Cartman28279, namor and 1 other like this

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

If you thought the cars were hard to control in IV, well then seriously you don't have much experience at all. Also, yes the body roll was exaggerated in IV, but TBoGT fixed that. If you look at the way cars turn -- and I'm talking about turning hard into a corner -- you will see excessive body roll. That, to me, is better than 5% body roll and barely a suspension (V).

I personally felt that learning how to control each car was fun in IV, but that is just me. I do have my gripes with IV's handling though.The grip is better than V, but it isn't really that great. I find cornering in IV funner but sometimes you just lose grip too easily. I didn't really have a problem with this until I played Horizon. And the sense of speed in IV is lacking to me. In V it is better but of course the handling in V is just lacking to me as well. :/

@Other post, yeah. V's handling is definitely not my cup of tea, but San Andreas was worse.

Indeed, I like arcade games.  I play games because they are not real.  Realism, just walk out of your f*cking house!

Man that's some dumb logic. Since when was IV's driving physics ultra-realism? Additionally, I don't have the funds to go out and buy a f*cking Aston Martin Vantage S nor the time to travel to Southern California and have fun on some canyon roads. Games are no longer just "play because this isn't real" anymore. Again, why do you think Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport, or Airplane Simulators were made? GTA isn't realism, yeah, but I'd like a few believable features because that is fun to me. Realism and fun aren't exactly two different things. Realism in games is fun to some.

Opinions are like assholes, we all got them.  Don't see why you and a couple others just keep arguing back and forth.  You, me, and 90% of the entire population can NOT own any of this sh*t which is in the game, so quit complaining about fantasy/realism.  All I think is GTA IV driving sucks, deal with it.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

It's so real how we die in the game and respawn at a hospital for a measily 5000 bucks.  How real is that, eh?

The whole realism is bullsh*t, imo.  I am playing games cuz I want to be in a fantasy, not real life...

Stupid comparison.

Cars rolled 5 times and might still work on GTA4. Yet the driving was sort of believable.

You can die unlimited times and respawn on Hospital. Yet a bullet on the head, ONE, will take you there.

That´s how things are done to get a good game: realist in the mechanics, forgiving in the consequences. People plays games to be able to do things they can´t do.

I want to drive full attack down roads without consequences for anyone to have some fun. Of course I don´t want to permanently die in the game if I have a bad crash, but if driving is lame I´m not longer doing what I want to do but I can´t. So to have fun, I want realist gameplay with less terrible consequences. THAT´s how you get fun. No one wants to drive toy cars.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Opinions are like assholes, we all got them.  Don't see why you and a couple others just keep arguing back and forth.  You, me, and 90% of the entire population can NOT own any of this sh*t which is in the game, so quit complaining about fantasy/realism.  All I think is GTA IV driving sucks, deal with it.

Problem is you explained why you thought so, so everyone can see the problem isn´t the game, it´s you instead.

We´re also allowed to have an opinion on your opinion, and given the way it irks you, I´d say you know inside you´re somehow in the wrong.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

You don't know what the f*ck I can own, and I'm just done talking to you. You're the type who needs sh*t dumbed down for you and I'm not gonna be the guy who does that. Bye! :colgate:

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Problem is you explained why you thought so, so everyone can see the problem isn´t the game, it´s you instead.

We´re also allowed to have an opinion on your opinion, and given the way it irks you, I´d say you know inside you´re somehow in the wrong.

Yeah, this topic got stale real quick and I only joined yesterday, anyways, gave my two cents, heard all the bullsh*t, done with this topic.  Plenty more around this place lol.

Militia
  • Militia

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

You don't know what the f*ck I can own, and I'm just done talking to you. You're the type who needs sh*t dumbed down for you and I'm not gonna be the guy who does that. Bye! :colgate:

Well you do know Bill Gates and all them?  That is only ONE PERCENT of the whole entire population.  Hence why I said nobody can buy this stuff in real life.  You're trolling hard if you believe you can own 15 properties, 20 cars, etc.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

And once again, only way you can find of defending the way the driving it is now is talking absurdly unrelated topics. Well done.

Look, you like it, you like 5 better, fair enough, plenty of people think so. That´s an opinion.

Now, stop with that "this is better" or "4 was sh*t" crap, because that´s not an opinion, you´re making comparisons with measurable things (damage in similar crashes, braking distances is similar cars, grip of similar cars...) and 5´s quality is nowhere near 4 in this aspect. You´re making a fool of yourself making these statements and of course people are going to tell you you´re wrong.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:36 AM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 17 November 2013 - 02:40 AM.

I think the driving in V is actually more fun because its fast and responsive (sometimes way too f*cking much) but I think the physics sucks. When I first bought a 45k Sandking XL and found out I couldn't bash a mother-f*ckin Toyota Prius outta my way... You should have seen my jaw. It was on the floor. But hey ! Don't worry, when the guy in the Prius had enough of my bullsh*t, he had no problem pushing away my truck, like it was a damn bicycle. Its atrocious. I used to have tons of pick ups and trucks for off roading. Guess what happened to them. They're f*cking gone. In the trash. You want to do some off-road, buy an Adder, sticks well to any surface, goes fast (flies above mountains and whatnot). Or better yet, buy a mountain bike, you can literally climb a vertical cliff with this S.O.B. HAHAHA How ridiculous ?

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

Its how you apply the realism which makes it fun or boring, too much of it and I would probably be complaining.

Some of you guys are bashing this dude about a simple opinion of how he feel about it, but then again your responding to it and all I see is a waste of space and time reading it.

Gta IV is realistic but not realistic. It looks as if they rush the game and was limited due the new technology and techniques they used to be conservative but unlimited. I played IV a lot and even some things I didn't like was the lack of speed. I actually became so good at it, I begin to think that even at full speed I could make these sharp corners without letting off the gas(max pressure!!) but that's too much of a long detailed story to describe right now. A lot of people should of known this was going to happen based on the clues Rockstar gave us. I remember when I saw the game trailers of the cars weaving in & out of traffic on the highway told me not to get it, glad I didn't.

Rockstar didn't make the slidey car cheat for nothing, its more to it than it seems. I use the cheat every single time and soon going to try to make video to show me skillz.( Includes drifting, high speed test drives, test drives, and more)

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

A GTA V fanboy's worst nightmare

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

GTA IV's driving isn't that realistic. It just replicates basics driving forces and characteristics better than most open world games, but it's no Forza or Gran Turismo. For me I don't think GTA V's is terrible, but it feels generic much like every racing game I've played that isn't a simulator over the last 20 something years.

When I race in GTA V it feels like a Midnight Club, NFS, Ridge Racer etc love child. GTA IV's is unique because there's nothing else like it. The only other game this gen to give me as much driving satisfaction is Mafia II in simulation mode.

• namor and Sting4S like this

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Ultranumb

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

GTA IV's driving isn't that realistic. It just replicates basics driving forces and characteristics better than most open world games, but it's no Forza or Gran Turismo. For me I don't think GTA V's is terrible, but it feels generic much like every racing game I've played that isn't a simulator over the last 20 something years.

When I race in GTA V it feels like a Midnight Club, NFS, Ridge Racer etc love child. GTA IV's is unique because there's nothing else like it. The only other game this gen to give me as much driving satisfaction is Mafia II in simulation mode.

I think GTA IV driving is better than Gran Turismo. Ridge Racer was just worst. GTA V's racing and especially sharp turns & cuts are exact replica of NFS Most Wanted. Midnight Club is much easy and interactive than GTA V.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think GTA IV driving is better than Gran Turismo. Ridge Racer was just worst. GTA V's racing and especially sharp turns & cuts are exact replica of NFS Most Wanted. Midnight Club is much easy and interactive than GTA V.

Yeah I always found Gran Turismo a bit unexciting. I prefer Forza over it.

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Driving is much better than in GTA IV, feels less stiff, more natural and I feel like I'm really in control, expect when I got the wrong car at the wrong place or terrain. (Comet in rain or in the desert, that turns just...freaking horrible)

• Sting4S likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:46 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 18 November 2013 - 06:48 PM.

Rockstar didn't make the slidey car cheat for nothing, its more to it than it seems. I use the cheat every single time

Sadly the cheat code is "for nothing" right now. Only to do random stuff in single player. Unless they make some lobbies with it activated by default on multiplayer, or at least allow us to activate it for races, it´s not worth. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

Driving is much better than in GTA IV, feels less stiff, more natural and I feel like I'm really in control, expect when I got the wrong car at the wrong place or terrain. (Comet in rain or in the desert, that turns just...freaking horrible)

Liked your comment on mistake. Did you actually say the cars feel less stiff in V? Damn, I doubt you've played the game for longer than an hour.

• PlanetaryUnfolding likes this

PlanetaryUnfolding
  • PlanetaryUnfolding

atlas novus

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

yeah, lack of suspension feels real natural.  as well as the fantastic, natural feeling collisions. like doing a 100 into a traffic jam and barely denting the front bumper. oh cant forget the inconsistent windshield ejections. all feels very natural :) 

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

triplem
  • triplem

X-Degenerate

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

Ok, so alot of people are getting pretty upset about the driving mechanics in GTA V. Lets try and keep it all in here so we can avoid 20 different threads about this subject. Thanks.

How did this topic get started?

I went to a friends joint who is still playing GTA 4 and asked me to help him pass a mission. DAMN!!!! You can feel the difference in driving!!!! The cars in GTA 4 swerve around too much, I fogot you couldn't just slam the pedal to the metal, you had to go slower then wanted and take corners easier or else youd spin out, crash etc...

If anyone wants that style of driving back in GTA 5, you need your head checked.

triplem
  • triplem

X-Degenerate

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

yeah, lack of suspension feels real natural.  as well as the fantastic, natural feeling collisions. like doing a 100 into a traffic jam and barely denting the front bumper. oh cant forget the inconsistent windshield ejections. all feels very natural :)

This is a game. Not a simulator.

Do people want driving to be so realistic you have to spend 5 minutes picking the egnition to start... perhaps a mini game where you have to cut some wires under the wheel and twist the correct ones together.

Then, manually shift the car into drive... manual or auto... have options to check rear view mirrors before exiting drive ways etc... have to stop at red lights or face getting tickets in your sms every 2 weeks along with your income. The option to put on your seat belt or not. Adjust the seats for comfort. Use your indicators when going around corner. Press something to activate the windsheild wipers when it rains or too much mud is on the windsheild. Spin the sticks of the controller around to wind down the window instead of break it. Have a spare tyre in the boot for when you get a flat. Stop the car, park it, put the hand brake on, exit the car, open the boot, pull out the jack, pull out the tyre, place the jack, jack the jack, undo each nut of the tyre.... you get the point by now.

How realistic do you want it in a game where the moment you are killed, you are released from hospital 6 hours later with a bump on your head, but fully working vital organs and you have regained usage of your legs. Man, the doctors and surgeons in GTA games are miracle workers.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Protector of the 2nd Amendment

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Are you that braindead? Nobody asked for that kind of realism, ever. Ever heard of balance? It was pretty good in GTA IV and even SA, but not for the regular idiot.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Do people want driving to be so realistic you have to spend 5 minutes picking the egnition to start... perhaps a mini game where you have to cut some wires under the wheel and twist the correct ones together.

Then, manually shift the car into drive... manual or auto... have options to check rear view mirrors before exiting drive ways etc... have to stop at red lights or face getting tickets in your sms every 2 weeks along with your income. The option to put on your seat belt or not. Adjust the seats for comfort. Use your indicators when going around corner. Press something to activate the windsheild wipers when it rains or too much mud is on the windsheild. Spin the sticks of the controller around to wind down the window instead of break it. Have a spare tyre in the boot for when you get a flat. Stop the car, park it, put the hand brake on, exit the car, open the boot, pull out the jack, pull out the tyre, place the jack, jack the jack, undo each nut of the tyre.... you get the point by now.

How realistic do you want it in a game where the moment you are killed, you are released from hospital 6 hours later with a bump on your head, but fully working vital organs and you have regained usage of your legs. Man, the doctors and surgeons in GTA games are miracle workers.

Jesus son, get the sand out of your vagina. This is f*cking ridiculous. Imbecile.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people's idea of a fun challenge is cars that are damn near impossible to control if you want to have any speed. I like being able to drive like a maniac in V instead.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:29 AM Edited by FasterThanYou, 19 November 2013 - 11:32 AM.

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people's idea of a fun challenge is cars that are damn near impossible to control if you want to have any speed. I like being able to drive like a maniac in V instead.

In no GTA up to date cars were "damn near impossible to control". No one is asking "cars damn near impossible to control" either. And finally not even driving simulators have cars "damn near impossible to control" if you sort of know what you´re doing.

We´re just asking cars that resemble somehow to actual cars, and driving physics that resemble somehow to actual driving. We want to drive cars, not weird overperforming ground vehicles that look like cars from the outside. 

If you want to know what a car "damn near impossible to control" is, just puncture the wheels of your car, or bend an axis badly, and there you have it. And no one is asking that. If you found IV´s cars "damn near impossible to control", the problem was just yours.

• Ermacs, SinceNES and GuitarJozz like this

PlanetaryUnfolding
  • PlanetaryUnfolding

atlas novus

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:37 PM Edited by PlanetaryUnfolding, 19 November 2013 - 03:25 PM.

lol, so basic features like varieying suspension with different vehicles, more realistic car collisions(which they had in IV, but totally botched in V) and more consistency with the windshield ejections means i want a real life simulator? funny how you wrote a novel about things i came no where near mentioning. which shows you have no arguement, so you rant on about things no one even talked about.
  • namor and ThroatSlasher2 like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Are you that braindead? Nobody asked for that kind of realism, ever. Ever heard of balance? It was pretty good in GTA IV and even SA, but not for the regular idiot.

Don't even ask. He is braindead. And somehow he thinks IV handling or even a capable suspension is too realistic to be fun/in a video game. First of all, if any of you guys new a thing or too about driving, you'd know that the suspension IS what makes driving every car unique and, of course, fun. Without it, you'll get the pleasureless, dumbed down, driving-on-rails handling today that is known as V's current driving physics.

I'm starting not to care about opinions anymore, his points are just bullcrap. Complete and utter bullcrap. He probably likes the handling in V to be simple and and dumb because it makes it easier for him to drive, for he hasn't the skills.

And where are people getting this mindset that realism=not fun/boring. Hello? f*cking hello? Some people find reaslism fun. But-but first of all ain't nobody here been asking for f*cking ultra-reaslism, its rather clear we just want something more in depth and something that requires skill. Isn't that evident? Geez, j- no words...
  • ThroatSlasher2 likes this

SinceNES
  • SinceNES

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:44 AM Edited by SinceNES, 20 November 2013 - 12:47 AM.

I wonder how many of the people who say things suggesting it's hard to drive in GTA IV used square and x to brake and accelerate.  Then failed to realize that the cars were simply behaving like theyre being driven by someone who's constantly holding either the gas or brake all the way down.  Just completely lacking the sense to draw the connection.

GTA IV offers the player more control, as it is a more subtle and refined system.  It is not a challenge or a stretch for us to adjust to its physics as it might be for you.  As we see the driving in IV as completely intuitive, since GTA IV cars simply respond to player inputs as we would expect based on how cars actually behave.  This intuitive nature is what immerses us in the game. 

GTA V may make it easier for players who exhibit lack of control, ability, and sense to get around.  But it in no way offers players more control.  Unfortunately players who lack ability and sense, are unable to actually experience what games really have to offer, so our points will never resonate with them.

• Aragrox and GuitarJozz like this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

So, uh, I haven't played V in over 2 weeks. Like, not even touched it once.

I kind of want to play IV, but I know that when I do, I'll inevitably bin V forever. IV is such a better game in literally every respect besides map and shooting it HURTS.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

I am quite a good player but I like to have fun while playing. Constantly sliding all over the place is not my idea of fun. I can do it but I would rather have the car easy to handle so I can enjoy other things. Complex is not always better and calling people casuals just because they don't want driving to be some major chore does not further your argument.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users