Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,680 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2431 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (959 votes [39.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.45%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (674 votes [27.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.73%

3. Indifferent (111 votes [4.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.57%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (289 votes [11.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.89%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (398 votes [16.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote
FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:03 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 12 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.

I suggest people watch this video if they feel that the "boaty" handling in V was unrealistic:

And that is how it looks with a pretty darn good car. Try that with an old car or a less sporty model and it will only get worse and worse.

People just are not aware the ammount of forces involved in making a car go through a tight turn, or brake hard, or accelerate hard even at not-mega-high speeds. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Eb7GAWs4Xgk

(How the hell do I insert the video here?)

Look at how that thing leans forward desperately trying to stop, and again, it´s a modern car. It´s also depressing to see how half the cars in GTA5 take half the distance to stop even from way higher speeds.

• Scaglietti and BoeserBengel83 like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

The only reason I won't play IV now is because I'll never want to go back to V after it. Yes V has more content, yada yada, but damn the driving and cars really matter to me the most. IV just does that all better. If I go back to IV, V will be gathering dust for a while... :/

BTW: I noticed the Manana actually feels a tiny bit close to something in IV, but without body roll. It's literally the only car where you can feel the weight working against you whilst you turn. I wish most cars in V handled as somewhat realistically as the Manana. :(

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Yeah you can forget about body roll or suspension feeling with any car, but there are some cars that in certain conditions can give you quite representative grip levels and enjoyable balance.

Most muscle cars in the rain are a joy, especially the "old" ones like Sabre Turbo. Same for most sport classic cars, and even some coupé cars: F620 also handles really well in the rain, you have to watch the intensity of your inputs be it on the steering or the pedals.

But as soon as you go to dry weather and high performance cars, then it all goes out of the window.

DFL8
  • DFL8

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Seriously, they need to just give us the ability to adjust steering sensitivity and deadzone. That's it.

If they do that without taking grip away, whoever can handle the most sensitive setting wins. That isn´t any good.

What they must do is take away grip, and with less front grip the turn in will be slower even if you mash the joystick.

You're right, but shooters have the same deal, players that turn the sensitivity down are at a disadvantage... An adjustment option isn't ideal, but it's more likely... Know what I mean?

gunziness
  • gunziness

Thug

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

^ not really, sensivity is a personal preference, it depends of each person's habits, it wont turn into an disadvantage if you play well with it.

DFL8
  • DFL8

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

^ not really, sensivity is a personal preference, it depends of each person's habits, it wont turn into an disadvantage if you play well with it.

I struggled with that too... I mean I play FPSs with the sensitivity down and I'm keenly aware of the disadvantage at times. The other person has everything to do with that tho, you're right. Btw, it's the personal preference thing that makes putting in an adjustment option a no brainer.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:35 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 12 November 2013 - 11:35 PM.

I don´t agree about shooters. Shooters (at least good ones) are about spotting before being spotted and moving wisely.

Sensitivity doesn´t change much. Having it high only helps in short range surprise engagements. And most good players will avoid these because they´re very random.

And back on topic, a racing game in which you struggle to take the car EXACTLY where you want down straights, that´s a game with a bad steering. This one is. Intead of one smooth move, you have to do small nudges to one side to go through easy full throttle corners.

PlanetaryUnfolding
  • PlanetaryUnfolding

atlas novus

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

The only reason I won't play IV now is because I'll never want to go back to V after it. Yes V has more content, yada yada, but damn the driving and cars really matter to me the most. IV just does that all better. If I go back to IV, V will be gathering dust for a while... :/

BTW: I noticed the Manana actually feels a tiny bit close to something in IV, but without body roll. It's literally the only car where you can feel the weight working against you whilst you turn. I wish most cars in V handled as somewhat realistically as the Manana. :(

haha, funny thing. i just replaced my ps3's blu ray laser, so to make sure it was reading discs properly i went through all of my games and when i got to GTAIV i decided to play it for a bit. haven't played V in almost a week now. the drivings better (obviously), but the car damage is really what gets me. the thrill of driving fast through traffic is almost entirely absent in V. i still like V, alot actually. but the car chases aren't that kind of "on your toes" action that IV had, because if i wreck into oncoming traffic on V, my headlights will be busted and maybe a few scratches and a ding here and there. such a shame, i was really looking forward to seeing how V would take it to the next level with car damage and wrecks. especially with the motorcycles, which appear to never show any real damage. aside from cosmetic damage like a busted headlight and scratches. 

Leo!
  • Leo!

We have games in the psych ward!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

Rockstar would really have to love us to give us the option to change back to a more IV like driving system even if it just means tweaking a few stats when it's just a 5 or 10 % of the players that are really dissapointed with them.Otherwise a patch for this is never coming out and we'll have to mess with homemade mods and the bugs that come with them..

Could it be a resources thing so they made the choice to dumb down the driving physics so our outdated consoles can handle the improved graphics or maybe to attract more super-casual gamers?

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

I want an option to switch back to IV's driving. It is not impossible -- TDU added a GT4 physics as an option -- but it isn't likely. :(

I miss body-roll-drifting, the thrill of the unforgivable handling, the less annoying car explosions, the way you didn't get hurt when you crashed or pulled stunts; I miss stunts themselves.

I miss the over-the-top nimbleness of the Coquette, the precision of the Turismo, the fast understeering AWD Infernus, the simple and very capable Sentinel, the heavy yet blindingly fast Mafia Schafter and Cognoscenti, the land yacht cruisers, the laid back yet fast and fun Super GT. I even miss the Merit for Christ sakes! :cry:

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Episodes from San Liberty

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I want an option to switch back to IV's driving. It is not impossible -- TDU added a GT4 physics as an option -- but it isn't likely. :(

I miss body-roll-drifting, the thrill of the unforgivable handling, the less annoying car explosions, the way you didn't get hurt when you crashed or pulled stunts; I miss stunts themselves.

I miss the over-the-top nimbleness of the Coquette, the precision of the Turismo, the fast understeering AWD Infernus, the simple and very capable Sentinel, the heavy yet blindingly fast Mafia Schafter and Cognoscenti, the land yacht cruisers, the laid back yet fast and fun Super GT. I even miss the Merit for Christ sakes! :cry:

I miss my Dukes because my PS3 is broken. At least you can go back and play.

THEBIGZED
  • THEBIGZED

For an annoying dick, you really are an annoying dick.

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:29 PM Edited by THEBIGZED, 13 November 2013 - 07:35 PM.

I've posted to this thread a couple of times but you know the reason why driving is so important to GTA is not dependent on the player being a car nut or fanatic, the reason lies at the very core of the open world genre; EXPLORATION. Other thing that's super important for me is IMMERSION, both of these things are ruined by the driving as it is in GTAV. It's not even that the driving is arcadey (SA had relatively arcadey driving yet it worked), it's that the driving is at odds with the style of most other aspects of  gameplay, player movement especially. Running around, jumping etc. feels pretty grounded (if you don't take in account the fall damage) but the moment you start driving a car it's like you started up another game.

I want a cohesive package and GTA5 is not that. Clearly they thought of all the different types of players who'll get the game since they have a bunch of these different aiming modes, so why the hell is there not similar options for driving? How could they think it was a good idea to simply offer one extremely arcadey driving option and leave everyone who enjoys realistic driving physics totally in the dark.

I always knew that driving could be the achilles heel of this game but I never thought it would eventually evaporate my interest in the game almost entirely.

• B Dawg likes this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:22 AM Edited by Agni, 14 November 2013 - 12:23 AM.

Yeah, I have not played V in a week. I don't want to. The driving is that terrible.

As of now I'm playing Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero on the PS2. Very fun game, especially if you like JDM and customizing. The physics also feel much better than V, it's very arcadey but you still have to brake and the car actually feels like it has weight.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:55 AM Edited by Aragrox, 14 November 2013 - 03:57 AM.

Its funny, you enjoy V driving mechanics, that's great, glad a lot of people enjoy it, but then you look at other things like the motorcycle. Arcadey driving physics equals arcadey motorcycle mechanics. Want the damage to be like IV, less damage taken on impact, armor upgrades, little to no damage taken on impact and don't forget about those super brakes, which can avoid damage to begin with. Offroading, dude, those physics are arcadey, you really didn't think it would act realistic?even just a little bit? I can say this arcadey handling style probably have effects on the other things that work with the game to become as one. I feel like the GTA IV community been tricked for the money, even though that your fault, and people are sometimes treated like they been treating others. F*ck the gta IV community, well f*ck you too.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

It makes sense when a ton of people complain about something as many people did about IV's driving to change things. They simply gave what many people asked for. Any developer serious about being successful would have done the same thing. Many of you like IV's driving but many really hated it and R responded to that.

SinceNES
  • SinceNES

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:36 AM Edited by SinceNES, 14 November 2013 - 10:46 AM.

It makes sense when a ton of people complain about something as many people did about IV's driving to change things. They simply gave what many people asked for. Any developer serious about being successful would have done the same thing. Many of you like IV's driving but many really hated it and R responded to that.

I noticed you make this point repeatedly, and I strongly disagree with you.  If a company always changed something whenever a lot of people complained, they would constantly have something to change.  Also, not everybody who complains has the quality of the game in their interest.  Things that are more popular are not necessarily better.  Adjusting one element arbitrarily to meet the needs of complainers could cause that element to not fit in with the rest of the game.

Companies can do two things with a game (or decide the proper combination).  They can create the gaming experience that they want to create for gamers, or create the experience (some) gamers want.  The latter choice is usually meant for the masses, to maximize profits.  If all games were as such, then gaming experiences would become more and more similar.  While sophisticated, unique, or untested, experiences would dwindle in numbers, despite quality.

I personally believe that the more games created without profits being the only goal, the better.  Mostly because most people who buy a game typically aren't really into it.  Making games for them, prevents a game from living up to its full potential.  Also, I'm disappointed, but not sorry to say that, most gamers are not good enough or perceptive enough to be judges on how to improve games.

It's possible for a company to use profits from games meant for the masses, to fund the games that they want to be played.  With GTA, R* was in a luxurious position to be able to create any experience they wanted, and still make rididculous amounts of money.  Instead they altered part of V's experience in a way that is not cohesive with the rest of the game, and lacks the depth and sophistication that differentiated the series from its competitors.  They plainly did it to meet the needs of complainers, rather than to make the game better.  They basically created an amazing piece of art and layed a big, fat turd on it.

• THEBIGZED, B Dawg, Ermacs and 2 others like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Episodes from San Liberty

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

With GTA, R* was in a luxurious position to be able to create any experience they wanted, and still make rididculous amounts of money.

This.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

To be honest they made a mistake. They knew half hated IV's driving and half loved it. Wouldn't it have been smart to create a semi-realistic/arcade hybrid or just give us options. I'm pretty sure they knew a lot of people would be upset when they did these new physics.

A developer shouldn't give some people what they asked for whilst leaving the others in the dark. That's a stupid move.

• Glamus likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:00 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 14 November 2013 - 04:02 PM.

With GTA, R* was in a luxurious position to be able to create any experience they wanted, and still make rididculous amounts of money.

And if anyone needs proof, just look at the way the game actually sold despite NO ONE knowing how the driving was until they touched the controller themselves.

And the best guess was an improvement on 4´s driving instead of a downgrade.

So yes, that argument their sales would have dropped with 4´s driving is stupid. Simply because they didn´t drop while no one knew about the new handling being like it is.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

The game sold well based partly on the fact that they marketed it as being everything that IV isn't. Why do you think they went out of their way to show countryside and flying in trailers. Also many people including myself like the new driving very much. This board is the only place where the backlash is that hard. Outside of this forum people either tend to love the game or don't care about the GTA series at all. I don't feel like googling right now but do a search and you will find many people saying that V made GTA fun again. I have friends that hate IV but love this game. If they made another game like IV Saints Row would have taken over as the open world king and I am serious about that. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

The game sold well based partly on the fact that they marketed it as being everything that IV isn't. Why do you think they went out of their way to show countryside and flying in trailers. Also many people including myself like the new driving very much. This board is the only place where the backlash is that hard. Outside of this forum people either tend to love the game or don't care about the GTA series at all. I don't feel like googling right now but do a search and you will find many people saying that V made GTA fun again. I have friends that hate IV but love this game. If they made another game like IV Saints Row would have taken over as the open world king and I am serious about that.

Woggleman: To be honest, I don't care if I'm in the minority about V's handling and IV's handling. And I beg to differ that people hated IV mostly due to its driving physics. Go on Youtube and look at all of the stunt videos, cop chases, et cetera. GTAForums is honestly the only place where I've seen people say that they hated IV's driving physics. People elsewhere said it was boaty, yeah, believe it or not I said that too. But The Ballad of Gay Tony was kind of the solution. It improved not only the bike physics, but the body roll as well, it was much toned down.

That was kind of perfect to be honest. If the handling in V was like The Ballad of Gay Tony but with tweaks and a better since of speed, I doubt the sales would've suffered, I doubt there would be a lot of people bitching. If you think so, then you're not really using common sense.

On-topic: I want to drive like this guy drives @2:20

Cornering looks fun, takes skill, and not sloppy at all.

I was driving the Schwartzer today that I made look like a '12 E63 AMG Coupe -- if there ever was an AMG coupe, god please let that happen -- and it was only fun because I kept to the freeway. Took I-5 to Paleto, turned around and headed back to Los Santos going the on the freeway but took the western entrance, looped around Los Santos via the freeways, headed back north via the eastern way out again and landed in Paleto; turned around again and headed back to Los Santos via the western entrance again and then took the Great Ocean Highway to Paleto. It was more relaxing. But still, I miss IV's handling.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

You can find plenty of stunts and chases related to V as well. I honestly think there should be an option between arcadey, realistic and somewhere in between since it would have been impossible to please everybody. 

I don't see why people think it's so arcadey anyway. I can drift just fine in my Sabre Turbo.

DFL8
  • DFL8

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

Sales suffering? V made a billion in sales in like 4 days.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

I don't see why people think it's so arcadey anyway. I can drift just fine in my Sabre Turbo.

Because I'd personally have more fun sliding in a Sabre GT in IV, than I would a Sabre Turbo in V.

• namor likes this

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:39 AM

Even if they kept gta IV style of driving, the game still would of made billions.

• namor likes this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

GTA VI will have GTA IV physics.

Militia
  • Militia

Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

I did not read much other posts in this thread yet, but I decided to comment.  I am not a "car buff" in real life, and I am born with ADHD, so I love everything in life at FAST f*ckING PACE and could not take it any other way.  I absolutely H.A.T.E. GTA IV because of the driving, it's almost "too" realistic with the cars and I absolutely get disgusted I turn that game off usually within the first 15 minutes of turning it on, not to mention GTA IV is my least liked game and also the least information I know about.  I basically know most everything of GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, and V.  Anyways, I think the driving in V is awesome because I can speed as fast as possible and I don't hit much things, I also never use the special?  If that is what it's called, that thing that lets you slow down with reddish lines coming from your car.  I never used it even once, lol

But yeah, driving in GTA V is damn good.  The best is V, then III, then Vice City and San Andreas, then IV when it comes to driving imo.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

I don't see how IV has realistic physics. They are semi-realistic. But now ultra realistic. In my opinion, all it needed was better senses of speed.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

I absolutely H.A.T.E. GTA IV because of the driving, it's almost "too" realistic with the cars.

Anyways, I think the driving in V is awesome because I can speed as fast as possible and I don't hit much things

No it´s not. You can save slides at ridiculous slip angles, you get plenty of traction starting from a standstill full throttle on super powerful cars, you can roll 3 times and keep going, long etc... It´s not "too realistic", it just resembles a bit to actually driving while leaving room to over-the-top GTA action, which is why people with a minimum eye-hand coordination and common sense liked it.

The second bit I quoted just shows you lacked the common sense I guess. If you think going full power around there without having accidents is good, no doubt you disliked 4. But the game wasn´t the problem, it was you.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Sorry but countryside VS city bares no relation at all with the driving. In fact, V´s would with IV´s physics would have been a blast.

And no, no one knew how the driving would be, no one anticipated this change. No one bought the game knowing about it, sales would have been the same with IV-like vehicle physics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users