Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

3,239 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2075 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (833 votes [40.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.14%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (571 votes [27.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.52%

3. Indifferent (92 votes [4.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.43%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (237 votes [11.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.42%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (342 votes [16.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote
FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

IN GENERAL:

It genuinely feels like REFINED handling which makes it a pleasant and sometimes exciting experience. 

IN CARS:

hands down WAY better than IV's experience.

ON MOTORCYCLES:

Better than in IV 

ON BICYCLES:

Too much realism

Keep the comedy gold comming mate.

PS: Please don´t try to get down your local equivalent of Mt. Chiliad on a road bycicle. They´d never find your body. Instead in this game a road bycicle is actually the best to come down from there. Too much realism... LOL stupid ignorant kids.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I don't value almost every car like I did in IV. Most cars just feel less believable and done poorly. I mean some cars lack back up lights, badges, proper interiors to fit with the exterior well, or unique personality. The Vacca and Zion XS are believable. The classica feel like a waste of money overall. I drove all of them and, meh, they aren't special.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Did anybody try my suggestion of buying the driftmeister wheels?

dado123
  • dado123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

Well it's still better than 4's driving: one turn, drift for half a mile.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Go eat your mom's ass

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

V looks slow because cars get stuck at a certain speed way lower than their claimed top speed, plus because you can make most corners without even getting off the throttle.

This. Anyone who says there's a better sense of speed is just plain wrong.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Speed in V is better than IV. The speedometer people use, I don't find accurate. Gta IV max default speed was around 75 mph. Top speed has nothing to do with corners.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well it's still better than 4's driving: one turn, drift for half a mile.

If you think drifting easily in V is what makes it better than IV, then you must be the type who is impressed way too easoly and likes games to feel easy.

If you're referring to IV, then maybe if you LEARNED HOW TO DRIVE rather than just slamming on the brakes and julting the stick left and right, you wouldn't have a problem! :colgate:
Try driving like you have some sense, for a change.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:53 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 05 November 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Speed in V is better than IV. The speedometer people use, I don't find accurate. Gta IV max default speed was around 75 mph. Top speed has nothing to do with corners.

You might not find it accurate but it was built in so IT IS accurate. It just measures distance travelled in a period of time.

GTA IV max speed was around 200 mph for best cars like Comet and Infernus. Good luck getting there in this one. And that despite some 1000bhp cars made it into the game.

The whole thing is flawed. Braking distances are too short, top speeds too low, cornering speeds are over the roof, suspension is inexistent. There´s not a single area where this game is representative of actual performance of a car.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

I don't value almost every car like I did in IV. Most cars just feel less believable and done poorly. I mean some cars lack back up lights, badges, proper interiors to fit with the exterior well, or unique personality. The Vacca and Zion XS are believable. The classica feel like a waste of money overall. I drove all of them and, meh, they aren't special.

I don't value ANY of the cars in the game, and value the motorcycles even less. They can be considered utilitarian art best, just a means of getting from A to B on the quickest time possible. In IV I took great care in driving skillfully because of the damage physics, which gave me a lot of satisfaction in evading pursuers without a scratch on the car. In V, I don't give a dead rat's arse whether I smash the car up, either during a chase or getting to a destination in the fastest time possible - the vehicles in V are cheap disposable tissues compared with the expensive embroidered handkerchiefs of IV.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

That isn't entirely true. The appearance of speed is greater in V than in IV. Of you compare the speed differentials between vehicles in IV and V, you'd notice immediately that the differential in IV is much greater than V.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

I think IV's actual max speed, measuring the distance traveled by the time directly, was 93 MPH.

But when scaled to the city, the max speed was around 236 MPH.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I don't value ANY of the cars in the game, and value the motorcycles even less. They can be considered utilitarian art best, just a means of getting from A to B on the quickest time possible. In IV I took great care in driving skillfully because of the damage physics, which gave me a lot of satisfaction in evading pursuers without a scratch on the car. In V, I don't give a dead rat's arse whether I smash the car up, either during a chase or getting to a destination in the fastest time possible - the vehicles in V are cheap disposable tissues compared with the expensive embroidered handkerchiefs of IV.

Sad but true.

I remember in January I had a craze over the Sentinel. I just loved how nimble it was, how it looked so close to the E46 M3, how quick it was, and how great of a sleeper sports car it was. I also has a craze for the good old Russian Schafter.

Man I remember having fun with the Albanian Hakumai. How I just cruise around town following most of the road rules and just admired the car, how it drove, how it's suspension was firm and performance focused yet it still looked comfortable.

I remember going crazy over the Super GT -- actually the last car I went crazy over in IV for about 3 months straight until V came out and I was disappointed it was gone. I valued that car deeply. It was so gorgeous, it was the ultimate grand tourer. Sitting still I could admire it's British looks in a British Racing Green-ish paint. Even the doors looked sexy :p with the frameless windows and that nice thin chrome windowsill. And then when I drove it, it just felt so good. Had that fast but laid back GT attitude.

I-I just don't treasure cars much in V. I took pictures of the Pegassi Vacca on Sunday and admired it but something was still lacking. The way it drives doesn't feel unique that much. :/ The Rapid GT's do not feel like worthy replacements to the Super GT. They don't sound like a GT, they just have some recycled Carbonizzare exhaust note, and they don't drive like GT's, they drive like supercars and have no personality to them. The looks are okay but for some reason they gave the cabrio the Super GT's interior but left the coupe and the sedan with an unfitting repeated Surano interior. Nitpicking? Yeah but it's small little touches that matter to me and they didn't really car when it came to this. Most of the expensive cars don't feel special because you'll see them all over the place now. The car reflections in regular IV were good, what happened here? The graphics are better but the reflections on cars just look ugly.

It just makes me feel like, this game is good but not great.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

I think IV's actual max speed, measuring the distance traveled by the time directly, was 93 MPH.

But when scaled to the city, the max speed was around 236 MPH.

What are you talking about mate. 1 meter is 1 meter. A building was X meters tall, a street was X meters wide, a car was X meters long. There was no double values.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Yes, there, that max speed was about 93 mph. The appearance of speed was greater in IV, the road textures and angles were too small ( or too challenging for some) for them to make cars go around 150 or 200 mph. Driving from Algonquin bridge to the airport in a infernus without braking is possible and has been done by many players. There is no way in the world, could a car be going 200 mph they way the road curves in between the bridge and the airport without crashing or breaking. 

I never seen a postal man picking-up mail at one of the mail bins until today, he had the suit on and bag. 

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Go eat your mom's ass

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Driving from Algonquin bridge to the airport in a infernus without braking is possible

Well obviously, just control the throttle to go slow.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yes, there, that max speed was about 93 mph. 

Nope. Some cars were able to go over 200 mph divinding game distance by time. 1 in game meter is 1 meter. Niko is around 1´70 tall so if you travel X Nico´s in Y time that´s the speed you´re doing.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sDDpM8pdFig

The numbers you have are wrong. Here you have a sh*tty car going over 93 mph without any effort. And before you say "car is modded" only guns are modded. And before you say "that´s not accurate" it´s built in the game and you can check how accurate it is when cars are going slow.

But it´s not only a matter of tops speed. IV looked faster because:

1) Cars had realistic cornering performance, and going at top speed was dangerous. 

2) Suspension physics were way better and cars would get unsettled and bottom down going over big bumps.

3) Collision physics and damage sensitivity were way better so a crash at that speed would have serious consequences boosting the sense of speed.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

I miss the suspension diversity from IV. The Cognoscenti had a rich suspension that smoothed out bumps yet it was firm enough to corner kind of well. It felt like a real Bentley -- even though half of it is Maybach. The Cognoscenti is heavy, feels heavy, but damn it can drive fast, like a real Bentley. Straight line speed was awesome but it felt heavy on the corners -- which is why I cruise most of the time in it unless I want to realistically speed down freeways.

The new Cognoscenti "Cabrio" -- why couldn't they still keep the sedan so that we could have both -- is just seriously way off. It's a comfort grand tourer, yet it ride like it has an archaic suspension, and it doesn't even drive that good. It does not feel fast, it does not feel heavy, nothing wows me. It doesn't even have that Bentley feel -- feel heavy but drive fast, whilst still being super comfortable. Simply put... It sucks.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Another ridiculous thing is how much your cars slow down as soon as they slide. It´s as if you hit the brakes.

And I tell you something, a car that loses the rear doesn´t lose all the momentum, it just keeps it going sideways at around the same speed and takes you off the road if you can´t correct it in time.

In this game you slide, correct it, and the cars has lost 40 km/h magically.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Another ridiculous thing is how much your cars slow down as soon as they slide. It´s as if you hit the brakes.

And I tell you something, a car that loses the rear doesn´t lose all the momentum, it just keeps it going sideways at around the same speed and takes you off the road if you can´t correct it in time.

In this game you slide, correct it, and the cars has lost 40 km/h magically.

Yes and that really does annoy me too. No high speed drifting... well you can no longer pull sexy drifts in the first place. The handling feels so unsophisticated and you know its a shame when the physics can no longer handle what IV's physics could handle. I-I knew I was going to hate the driving if it ended up like MC:LA. I was not wrong, not at all. The only thing that keeps me driving are the cars that actually look good. Even then it gets boring. Hell, it's getting to the point where I have to try and like the handling yet it is not working. Eventually I'll just give up.

snowlights420
  • snowlights420

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

IV's handling was great, yeah. V's handling is a lot less realistic, but I still think it's great fun. Less realistic but we all got annoyed in chase missions where we turned a sharp corner too fast, hit a wall and lost our guy, so the fact that at a high speed, while turning, the handling has improved a hell of a lot, is such a great thing in my opinion.

However, I f*cking HATE the motorbikes on V. I loved nothing more than getting a bike on IV and speeding through traffic. The handling for them on V is painfully bad, I hate it. Which is a shame, seeing as that was one thing I always drove on IV.

As a whole though, it got a positive review from me.

eric91611
  • eric91611

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

I'm starting to agree with you guys about V's handling I mean I loved SA handling but in V if you start to drift it instantly slows you down to a dead stop. Now I know what you mean by no inertia. I can make some sick fun turns sometimes so I like it but most of the time I find my self going why am I at a dead stop right now? And then when you accelerate in some cars like the Vacca they have so much power that it literally peels out constantly I feel like the slippery road cheat is always on when I drive it. Sucks. Sorry to everyone I disagreed with, about V and IV's handling. You guys have valid points. I mean don't get me wrong I like the driving but seriously some stuff your just like, wow, and not in a good way. Also what's with the spinning around SOOOOO much anytime I race someone touches my car with there's and its over I'm spinning 3-5 times before I can correct and go straight and even if I do that sick flip around move where you drive fast in reverse and then spin in so you facing forward, normally this would keep you from losing momentum but with the drifiting causing you to come to a stop it doesn't even work how it should. Andhas anyone got their car straight up on the trunk end and if you move the joystick right you can actually walk you car on the trunk by takin advantage of the flip over capability?

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

IV's handling was great, yeah. V's handling is a lot less realistic, but I still think it's great fun. Less realistic but we all got annoyed in chase missions where we turned a sharp corner too fast, hit a wall and lost our guy, so the fact that at a high speed, while turning, the handling has improved a hell of a lot, is such a great thing in my opinion.

However, I f*cking HATE the motorbikes on V. I loved nothing more than getting a bike on IV and speeding through traffic. The handling for them on V is painfully bad, I hate it. Which is a shame, seeing as that was one thing I always drove on IV.

As a whole though, it got a positive review from me.

You're kidding, right? Maybe if you knew how to corner a car properly, in IV, you would not have to worry about crashing 24/7. I did not get annoyed in chases in IV because I did not crash that much. When I do crash, its just a careless mistake or actually is something that is only normal to happen. I find it more annoying that I can corner at high speeds with out repercussions. I'd rather have IV's difficulty over skill less, easy, bullsh*t.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:49 AM

Nope. Some cars were able to go over 200 mph divinding game distance by time. 1 in game meter is 1 meter. Niko is around 1´70 tall so if you travel X Nico´s in Y time that´s the speed you´re doing.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sDDpM8pdFig

I find that video weak, especially when it said "This is what can happen if you mess around with the game's script files for cars and weapons." Hitting 288 kmh (178 mph) was the highest number I seen. 

The numbers you have are wrong. Here you have a sh*tty car going over 93 mph without any effort. And before you say "car is modded" only guns are modded. And before you say "that´s not accurate" it´s built in the game and you can check how accurate it is when cars are going slow.

Now that you said built-in, what was your average speed in IV. How can I have an average speed of 44 mph, when I'm maxing out just about every time. With no mods, on Tbogt (Xbox 360), I did the first mission with my average speed at zero (its possible). Used the Bullet Gt cheat to drive straight across from Alderney Hwy  eastward across the bridge and ending near the police station. I manage to get 76 mph. 

+ In Gta IV,  you could choose to exit your vehicle with it on or off.

wolfeskimo
  • wolfeskimo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

I really feel that I'm playing GTA...San Andreas 2004. 

MrBound
  • MrBound

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

The flywheels of the cars are twisted.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:37 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 07 November 2013 - 03:41 PM.

I find that video weak, especially when it said "This is what can happen if you mess around with the game's script files for cars and weapons." Hitting 288 kmh (178 mph) was the highest number I seen. 

I had that mod on my PC version for rampage pusposes. In case you aren´t smart enough to figure it out by yourself, all it does is adding mass to certain weapons bullets so they have huge collisions with other stuff and sent them flying away.

Cars are not modified in any way. You´ve seen the speed these cars can do, and they´re not even Comet/Infernus. Any experienced IV player can tell just looking at the screen that it´s possible to go faster than in this video, and look at the speed the built in speedometer is showing.  Your claim that 90 mph is the max speed in this game is bullsh*t. You´ve seen cars go near 300 km/h and it´s not even fastest cars in the game.

So stop deluding yourself, IV top speed made sense for every car and class. A super would go over 300 km/h, a normal car over 200 km/h, etc. V top speed is nearly the same for every half-assed vehicle and has some sort of stupid limiter who-knows-why.

PS: No idea why the text is in a white box. I´m sure you´ll figure out how to read it anyway.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:09 PM Edited by Aragrox, 07 November 2013 - 05:52 PM.

Cars are not modified in any way. You´ve seen the speed these cars can do, and they´re not even Comet/Infernus. Any experienced IV player can tell just looking at the screen that it´s possible to go faster than in this video, and look at the speed the built in speedometer is showing.  Your claim that 90 mph is the max speed in this game is bullsh*t. You´ve seen cars go near 300 km/h and it´s not even fastest cars in the game.

The video is showing what the physic engine can do, you don't need the fastest car to show max speed when you have the controls. Right now your telling me that you can hit over 300 km/h in a super car on an un-modded game, and that the numbers in the stats in both games are wrong. I'm not claiming the max speed in IV is 90 mph, I'm actually claiming it to be around 76 mph since that's what I tested so far, and this only refers to cars.

This leaves more questions, why did some people mod the game to increase the top speed in cars if they already go fast? What did this guy do in this video?

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Go eat your mom's ass

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:37 PM Edited by B Dawg, 07 November 2013 - 05:52 PM.

That video, he is driving slow on purpose, the Banshee and the Superbike are not that slow! I mean compare it to this video where the guy drives a patriot on a straight road 130 KM/H before switching to a bus.

@FasterThanYou I doubt supercars in IV could reach 300 KM/H, 200-250 at least.

Someone on the forums should test the cars in IV with the most accurate speedometer available.

On a side note: How come nobody mentions San Andreas having things like Body Roll, making it more advanced than V.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:52 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 07 November 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Look I´m 100% sure cars can get 300 km/h in GTA4. I saw it in a race with the speedometer, without any mods on. There was a long circuit where you crossed a narrow bridge, went down a downhill section to exit it, and then had to turn into a left 90º corner. It would do around 300 km/h then.

Just have a look at this.

HD Universe

The Comet's performance is strongly based on the Porsche 911 Turbo.

The GTA IV rendition of the Comet is the fastest car in the game, with a top speed of 217 mph (347 km/h)

http://gta.wikia.com/Comet

I mean, it´s OK if you haven´t seen a car doing 300 and think they can´t go over 250. I´ve raced a lot myself and haven´t seen it over 305 at all, maybe I didn´t try the right place in the map, frankly didn´t know it could do 347.

But you have to be a moron to think cars in GTA 4 can´t get past 76 mph, you have in your face a video with a guy in slow cars going above that easily.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

The video is showing what the physic engine can do, you don't need the fastest car to show max speed when you have the controls.

Yes you do need it.

I told you once and tell you again: cars are untouched in that mod. He´s just added sh*tloads of mass to bullets so they push stuff away when they impact.

I mean, just open your eyes, he´s going way slower than you and I know it´s possible to go and he´s gone above the speed you claim to be the maximum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users