Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,862 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2612 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1023 votes [39.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.17%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (730 votes [27.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.95%

3. Indifferent (121 votes [4.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (310 votes [11.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.87%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (428 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote
eric91611
  • eric91611

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

Breaking News: My realistic fans, someone already mention this I bet, but if you use the slidey cars cheat, if feels a lot better in terms of speed. Test this out: Get Franklin charger, drive on Los Santos freeway for about 3 miles then back, now turn the cheat on and repeat. Not only look faster but it also feels that way. It has it flaws like sliding too much, but I'm able to drift, make high speed turns, and more as I test it out some more.

Glad this cheat is there, without it, everything requires little to no skill. Let me tell you why its no challenge when driving in V. I'm use to driving in IV, so when I come up to a turn with speed, I time my braking and braking pressure on the trigger to make it as clean as possible. At high speeds, I slightly turn the joystick ahead of time to avoid crashing or sliding. In V, I have super brakes and more grip, allowing me to easily control the vehicle, meaning less timing or thinking needed and less pressure on the trigger, and at high speeds, a quick flick would avoid crashing and sliding. 

I was an expert at driving in IV, bringing that knowledge with some tweaks into V makes my skills over qualified for the game. Going from something that was hard to easy, makes easy feel easier since your use to it being hard. o_0?

This is the most idiotic statement 've ever heard. Your skills are over qualified that's a laugh that's like saying, "I didn't lose I'm just overqualified to win" was a lame excuse your not too skilled you suck the most obvious answer is usually the right one and the fact is you are not skilled. It isn't easy to drive in V or you would be good at it and not suck. That goes for all you whiners too GTA IV driving was garbage I'm glad they brought back San andreas style driving cuz I sold IV cuz the driving was so boring I couldn't stand it. Quit saying you guys are too good and that any idiot can drive in V cuz that's just not true it takes a lot of skill and those of use who like the old school san andreas style driving are very happy to have it back. I think more people are happy to have it back and are glad to be rid of IV style driving.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

How is the handling so far compared to the previous GTAs? Does it feel realistic simulation or more of NFS?

It feels like IV handling but without a soul, suspensions, realistic power to weight ratios, and physical reactions that actually make sense. Yeah, it is that much of a donwgrade. 'Course some people will say its an upgrade because they're inexperienced with driving and figure gamers should be able to turn corners with no effort. Also the drifts come randomly but you cannot make sexy drifts anymore. Every takeoff comes with that horribly textured smoke even if you're driving an AWD that should have ultimate grip.
Oh yeah, just about any car handles boringly now if it isn't a sports car. :dozing:
Yup. That all is an upgrade from IV. Sure is the "funnest driving experience they've created for a GTA" as they actually have stated -- not kidding, the support team apparently thinks V offers the best GTA driving experience! :sigh:

You have no idea what your talking about. Were not saying its effortless to turn a corner at full speed, have you even tried it? Its very hard but possible IF YOUR SKILLED.
No you don't know what you're talking about. Why don't you drive a real damn car and then come back to me? Turning is hard in V? What are you, 10? You probably don't even know what the hell I mean when I say "feel", its steering FEEDBACK smartass. You just need to keep your mouth shut until you know sh*t about driving? :colgate: Yeah that would be a BRIGHT idea!

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Insert Things I Hate Here

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

So to clarify, I am a very skilled driver, very very skilled, I've been playing GTA since the franchise started I'm 24 now. I played San Andreas the most booya CJ! But anyways when I played GTA IV I couldn't believe the boaty crap driving that felt like a slug or like you were in a sandpit even on regular roads. I don't even see how racing was possible. The only reason you guys are defending it is because rockstar came out with a game with horrible driving you all got used to it then they went back to normal driving I like GTA V because it is more like san andreas driving but without the cool lines you got in San andreas that really made it feel like you were going fast. The onlything that is lacking in gta V is deformation of cars but I will post a video of a train hitting a Landstalker to show major deformation in V I crushed the car like a coke can. Try it

That goes for all you whiners too GTA IV driving was garbage I'm glad they brought back San andreas style driving cuz I sold IV cuz the driving was so boring I couldn't stand it. Quit saying you guys are too good and that any idiot can drive in V cuz that's just not true it takes a lot of skill and those of use who like the old school san andreas style driving are very happy to have it back. I think more people are happy to have it back and are glad to be rid of IV style driving.

Are you that blind? GTA V handling is NOTHING like San Andreas (hence the Elegy video where you have to control your car unlike in V where accelerating gives you more control) It's a downgrade of it. Besides, racing in GTA IV was one of the best things to do in the game, better than racing on SAMP.

• suicidehummer likes this

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Your skills are over qualified that's a laugh that's like saying, "I didn't lose I'm just overqualified to win" was a lame excuse your not too skilled you suck the most obvious answer is usually the right one and the fact is you are not skilled.

I am very good at driving in gta IV. I am also very good at driving in gta V. I find gta IV harder, and V easier, makes sense?

It isn't easy to drive in V or you would be good at it and not suck. That goes for all you whiners too GTA IV driving was garbage I'm glad they brought back San andreas style driving cuz I sold IV cuz the driving was so boring I couldn't stand it. Quit saying you guys are too good and that any idiot can drive in V cuz that's just not true it takes a lot of skill and those of use who like the old school san andreas style driving are very happy to have it back.

It is easy to drive in V, which ask how do you know I suck? If it takes so much skill to drive in V then why did they changed it? Do you know what the slidey car cheat does? I tell you, It makes driving harder, much harder than IV if you ask me, because it slide a lot even at low speeds, but even that I quite good at, and getting better as we speak. Conclusion: I had to turn the slidey cars cheat on to make it more challenging and bring out that thrill that I was looking for.

• eric91611 likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

What really annoys me are the people that say I suck at driving just because I don't like V's handling. I could understand someone saying that with IV, but V? V has some of most unsophisticated driving out of all of my games that aren't NFS or TDU (or the 3D era GTA's).

So because I say "...driving around a tight bend on a road in a high performance Italian car almost feels lifeless. Simply there isn't much feel(feedback from the steering, like satisfaction or a feeling of connection to the road)", that indicates that I'm bad at driving? So when a reviewer from Motor Trend, like Johnny Lieberman, says that that the Audi A6 C7 is poor at giving steering feedback to the driver, that means that he is a bad driver? Yeah, he sure is a bad driver... even though he has years of professional driving experience and has had the opportunity to drive almost every recent performance car under the sun.

My point is simple, the driving in V lacks a soul. Driving is boring. No car really offers any remarkable experiences other than speed. Oh yeah, did I mention that the acceleration of almost every car is inaccurate. Why is the Sentinel XS's acceleration the equivalent to a basic sedan in real life, when the real BMW M3 Lime Rock Edition does acceleration under 5 seconds?

I'm going to end my rant here before I make another wall of text. I'm disappointed, and some of the sh*t you guys are saying towards us supposed "haters" is cringe worthy -- like saying I don't have SKILL because I cannot feel much feedback when maneuvering a car as realistically as I can around a corner, properly braking and stepping on the gas where I'm meant to like in real life.
  • namor and suicidehummer like this

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

I think the grip levels are acceptable since the update. I'm actually enjoying taking my Ruiner and Fusillade out on the mountain roads. The biggest problems are lack of body roll and retarded crash physics (cars bounce off each other like toys) and damage modeling.

This is a 20-mph crash test:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2LlLDHUpoFY

In V, there would be nothing but a few scratches. In IV, it would have looked way closer to the video.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:15 AM Edited by StingrayX, 02 November 2013 - 07:18 AM.

I think the grip levels are acceptable since the update. I'm actually enjoying taking my Ruiner and Fusillade out on the mountain roads. The biggest problems are lack of body roll and retarded crash physics (cars bounce off each other like toys) and damage modeling.

In V, there would be nothing but a few scratches. In IV, it would have looked way closer to the video.

I'm sorry but I've barely noticed any updates to the handling. Some cars like the Ruiner -- where you can actually feel the weight of the car -- are fun on a country road but most others just aren't. You can't turn around a tight bend at a decent consistent speed without your car for some reason wanting to drift. I'm different, guess you could say. When I drive I don't know why, but I like to follow some of the road rules like:

Staying in the right lane unless the road allows you to pass -- surprised dashed country roads actually made it into the game --, driving at a nice speed unless I want to have fun -- I'll often drive hard like one would in real life, yet still follow the road rules, basically just staying on the right side of the road but hitting much higher speeds that aren't too over the top. Well in V, they made that almost impossible because if I want to drive around a tight bend with a lot of grip, I'll have to take up the whole road or else my car will drift. I find that annoying unless I intend to drift. I don't like how they made drifting come so easily when you turn at a speed higher than 60mph, yet you can't do fun drifts anymore with basically any car. :/ I basically get drifts when I don't want them, but don't get them when I do want them.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm sorry but I've barely noticed any updates to the handling. Some cars like the Ruiner -- where you can actually feel the weight of the car -- are fun on a country road but most others just aren't. You can't turn around a tight bend at a decent consistent speed without your car for some reason wanting to drift. I'm different, guess you could say. When I drive I don't know why, but I like to follow some of the road rules like:

Staying in the right lane unless the road allows you to pass -- surprised dashed country roads actually made it into the game --, driving at a nice speed unless I want to have fun -- I'll often drive hard like one would in real life, yet still follow the road rules, basically just staying on the right side of the road but hitting much higher speeds that aren't too over the top. Well in V, they made that almost impossible because if I want to drive around a tight bend with a lot of grip, I'll have to take up the whole road or else my car will drift. I find that annoying unless I intend to drift. I don't like how they made drifting come so easily when you turn at a speed higher than 60mph, yet you can't do fun drifts anymore with basically any car. :/ I basically get drifts when I don't want them, but don't get them when I do want them.

I do the same (sticking to the road) but I don't have that problem at all. Must be your driving cause in my experience the game is especially good at it.

I still love the driving, my only gripe is the steering could be a little less sensitive. It's minor though, I hope they introduce a slider for that in a future update. Other than that, it's great. Every car I've driven is easy to pick up, unique, nuanced and just a lot of fun to drive. I don't miss IV at all. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

I do the same (sticking to the road) but I don't have that problem at all. Must be your driving cause in my experience the game is especially good at it.

Nah it must be your driving. I play Forza Horizon and often go to a free roam session online in the game to drive. There is no traffic so I can take any car I want and just drive along the many tight, mountain roads in the game. Its easy to stay in my own lane while driving at speeds near 100mph. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Skip to 3:21 and notice how he just curves around those tight bends in the road at high speeds without taking up to whole road or losing traction. If I try to do that in V, my car will be understeering and then suddenly oversteering -- to the point where my car will slightly turn more than I want it too -- or you'll have to take up the whole road just to get around a should-be-fun corner without losing grip, it's ridiculous. I can drive like he drives in IV when I take a sports car to that curvy northern road in Westdyke, Alderney and I'll have no problems with losing grip or not being able to make the corners properly. And then if you try to do that in Horizon, boy will you be satisfied if you know how to drive correctly -- and can adapt to how each car handles. Its not because I don't have "skill" for V -- I brake where I'm supposed to, control the power of the car, just like I would in any other driving game, but those skills don't work in V, they just make the cars drive weirder. It's the driving itself, it isn't really as detailed as it was in IV. IV had a lot of body roll when it came to a lot of car but TBoGT fixed that. In V body roll is gone as well as suspensions and so that jacks up everything. There is no proper power to weight ratio, the weight in cars doesn't shift correctly, and due to the lack of suspensions, cars just shake too much over rough edges or bumps and the body doesn't roll to try and get you into a corner. It just... just sucks. I gave up kind of. I no longer speed through the winding roads in the Great Chaparral anymore because it isn't fun unless I just don't care and take up the whole road. I just cruise now. :/

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

The roads in Horizon are designed for high speeds, with very few tight corners. They also don't have many changes in elevation. I'm very glad they kept the change of grip in relation to elevation from IV. It makes the country roads much more challenging. That could be part of your problem; you aren't slowing down enough at the crest of a hill. When V came out, the problem was that cars handled on rails and wouldn't lose grip no matter what. Since the update, it's become possible to get oversteer/understeer similar to IV. And that's just reality; if you're blasting through curves at 50+, you're gonna get oversteer. Horizon plays down oversteer because it's supposed to be accessible and somewhat arcadey. If you want to maintain grip, do what race drivers do, slow down before the corner and then power through.

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

All I can say is that I feel in love with the driving physics a few short minutes after playing the game for the first time. I was very skeptical when I say the physics in the Gameplay trailer, but as I have stated before, there is a huge difference in looking at someone else play the game and you actually playing the game yourself. Driving physics are brilliant.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

If you guys want more slidey physics without using cheats get driftmeister tires for the cars at LS Customs.

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

I agree that the driving is easier but why should it be so hard? Some people are already struggling to compete with the new police.

Does anyone find car stats to be worse in Online? My cars handle well in singleplayer but not online.

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

bizarro starter kit

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Although I was used to manipulating the camera when going around corners in IV, I'm glad it's not necessary this time.

My only "gripe", I suppose, is that to me the vehicles seem heavier - hitting something and spinning around/recovering seems to take a lot longer, and when plowing into other vehicles, it's like hitting a brick wall sometimes. And wheel/axle damage seems more frequent; always fun trying to outrun cops with tires locked up.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:49 AM Edited by FasterThanYou, 04 November 2013 - 11:54 AM.

I still find the grip levels are over the roof, for every class of vehicles. If I brake when I feel I should, I end up coasting into the corner. If I get on the power when I think it´s safe, I end up getting a sh*tty exit. If I turn into a corner at the speed I think it´s OK, I end up coasting again.

I´ve had to forget about all I know about car dynamics to go fast in this game, and had to adapt to this thing, that is totally contra-natura and violates all the principles I´ve learned playing games and then driving myself over the years. Have I mastered it? Yes. Do I get satisfaction from it? Not too much.

When a game requires you to throw all you knew off the window to go fast, then something´s not OK. Only scenario where all I know serves me well is in the rain. Rain takes a certain car grip levels to what it should have been in the dry.

Suddenly it´s no longer possible to thrash the wheel to full lock with all the weight in the front, the rear will step out. Suddenly some cars require throttle control exiting slow corners. Suddenly the braking distances become sort of believable.

You should try having some races in the wet. It´s how the dry should have been. Rain + classic sportcars/muscle cars is the only worthy experience for me. It´s sort of believable. The rest, over the top stuf.

Andrewine
  • Andrewine

Peon

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

ter driveing su

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:31 PM Edited by StingrayX, 04 November 2013 - 02:38 PM.

Don't get me wrong, the handling is playable and sometimes enjoyable, but I am very picky about my physics.

@suicidehummer, you know that main avenue in Horizon? On the Eastern side of the map, it bottle necks into a road that heads into that old Victorian settlement named Bunker Hill. Well that road DOES have some very tight bends, some tighter than the ones in V. So yeah, I take my Challenge Stradale through there on trips and have endless fun.

Your tips are what I already do! I slow down into a corner and do it but at the same time it just doesn't feel as fun as I'd like it to feel. And the cars brake so unrealistically good that if I brake into a corner, I'm going slower than I want to. Sometimes I just lift off the gas and let that work as a brake and it does work. But still, cornering isn't even fun when I do that. I make corners and sometimes it'll look good how I do it, but it just doesn't feel good. There is no since of accomplishment.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Another stupid point: top speed limits.

You go to a web, watch a good car stats (let´s say a Comet), and it says it does 310 Km/h. Fair enough. Then I drive it down a loooong straight, and the thing can´t get past 200 and something km/h, I go down the highway and it takes ages catching cars appearing down the road. I pass them and I´m barely doing 70 km/h more than them.

In GTA 4 highways, if you took the car to the top speed, the speed differential with other cars is very noticeable.

Also, I´m doing top speed, turn the wheel smoothly just a little bit to change lane, and the revs on my car drop like hell, almost as if I hit the brakes. There´s no inertia!!

• Scaglietti likes this

Rented
  • Rented

San Andreas Rewind Lead Developer

• The Connection
  • England

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

GTA V's handling is better for racing however GTA IV's isn't realistic so I think SA's the best as it's the closest to realistic and it's also fun.

Now there's one thing that REALLY REALLY REALLY pisses me off, it's the suspension being to stiff, whenever I'm going up a sidewalk, stairs etc. my car gets instantly ROTATED.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

GTA V's handling is better for racing however GTA IV's isn't realistic so I think SA's the best as it's the closest to realistic and it's also fun.
Now there's one thing that REALLY REALLY REALLY pisses me off, it's the suspension being to stiff, whenever I'm going up a sidewalk, stairs etc. my car gets instantly ROTATED.

San Andreas more realistic than IV? How so? :monocle:
That said I agree with the suspesions issue. No car in V has one except for the Dubsta. :/ The little offroading cars do have suspesions, but the cars just lack them. An ultra luxury Cognoscenti looks like it has the same ride quality of a cheap Ingot. :/ That just ain't right.

Gauntlet Hair
  • Gauntlet Hair

Pacifist, Pilot IRL.

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

You go to a web, watch a good car stats (let´s say a Comet), and it says it does 310 Km/h. Fair enough. Then I drive it down a loooong straight, and the thing can´t get past 200 and something km/h, I go down the highway and it takes ages catching cars appearing down the road. I pass them and I´m barely doing 70 km/h more than them.

In GTA 4 highways, if you took the car to the top speed, the speed differential with other cars is very noticeable.

Also, I´m doing top speed, turn the wheel smoothly just a little bit to change lane, and the revs on my car drop like hell, almost as if I hit the brakes. There´s no inertia!!

I know what you mean about the highway part. Reminds me too much of San Andreas, where panel wagons and taxis would be zipping by me in my Turismo. Another annoying aspect in V is when you aggravate an AI driver. It's really annoying to see a driver in a Dilettante catching up and rear ending me when I'm doing 200+mph in a sports car.

PlanetaryUnfolding
  • PlanetaryUnfolding

atlas novus

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

i don't mind the driving, but i wish they would have built upon IV's driving mechanics rather than throwing it out the window like it was a terrible idea. and the huge decrease in vehicle damage was an odd choice. now it doesnt feel like theres any repercussions for driving wreckless. now the motorcycles are a different story, they botched the f*ck out of that sh*t. i find myself almost never driving them now, as opposed to IV, i would nab one everytime i saw a ped driving one. its like they copied and pasted motorcycle physics from vice city. 

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

Look at your vehicle stats where it say "Highest speed in a road vehicle", it tells you the fastest speed you reached and the car you used. With No upgrades and No special ability use, I drove the Adder the fastest and longest possible constantly checking it. The fastest I've reached was 126 mph, so its around 120+ mph but below 130 mph or a bit more. It looks like I was doing 120 mph, but I don't believe its right or wrong.

The reason it looked fast in IV, is cause the cars were not going highway speeds, they go pretty slow if you drive side by side. Another thing is those website might say a Super Gt has 6 gears and infernus with 5 gears. Which ask questions like, then why isn't the Super Gt the fastest car in the game? But in the game, all you hear is 5 gears from the GT and 4 from the infernus, which ask more question like is 100 mph really 100 mph?

I also used the slidey cars cheat and I've reached 186 mph, no upgrades, no special ability use. When people use the special ability, it's like a wrap they go into and the speed just keep increasing while your in that state, so it's not really accurate. 

OpenWorld23
  • OpenWorld23

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

there are some things GTA 5 could have added to make driving in GTA 5 more realistic at least for traffic situations like how your break light should turn on when your car is at a stop and turn signals would be cool (but not entirely needed) also they should have had a gas limit option. Mafia 2 had stuff like that and that was before GTA 5 was even started being developed. They should have had gas limitations but at the same time they could have had very fuel efficient cars and trucks that way you can circle San Andreas once or twice without having to fill up or recharge (electric cars) also the MCPs still drive around me sometimes when I'm at a red light but very less often as they did in 4. If they were going for realism they should have borrowed mafia 2 driving features like gas and traffic driving. They could have at least had a realism setting so you can change things like gas limits or traffic cops stop you for speeding. Mafia 2 also had that but they had a speed control so your car matches the posted speed limits.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Aragrox, why would the Super GT be faster just because it has taller gears?

Andrewine
  • Andrewine

Peon

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

the driveing is sow huehuehue

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

@suicidehummer, I think the other point I was trying to make is that there is no cornering force when you turn. When you turn, no force is acting against you, so you turn sharper than you'd like to if you're handling the controls like you're supposed to. There is no body roll, and there is no cornering force. If there was cornering force, I'd enjoy cornering more because I would get more feel and it would feel more believable, thrilling, and fun.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

The reason it looked fast in IV, is cause the cars were not going highway speeds, they go pretty slow if you drive side by side. 

No, the reason why it looked fast was because cars went able to reach its claimed top speed (if you drove IV with a speedometer you´d know), plus because at that speed making a corner was a challenge.

V looks slow because cars get stuck at a certain speed way lower than their claimed top speed, plus because you can make most corners without even getting off the throttle.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Aragrox, why would the Super GT be faster just because it has taller gears?

To point out some of the unrealistic features they have in car sounds, physical appearance, and the mechanics of how the car operate.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:55 PM Edited by Midnightz, 03 May 2014 - 08:17 PM.

IN GENERAL:

It genuinely feels like REFINED handling which makes it a pleasant and sometimes often exciting experience. The traffic patterns are awesome - I'd even say PERFECT when compared with previous GTA titles.

Gripes: Despite the variety of cars, it feels like there's only 2 sets of handling lines = clunky and super lightweight. Vehicles Sports cars feel disconnected from the environment until a collision occurs. Adding some more weight to them should correct that. The rotations along the axis are too obvious when airborne. The top speed for all vehicles unfortunately feels identical.

Major gripes: The drifting camera with no quick way to reset/re-center it is VERY annoying. (No fixed side views too = ugh.). The shooting while driving is absolutely AWFUL with zero ability to aim before firing. Either a patch or max shooting skill has made this less painful.

IN CARS:

It's somewhere between the fun of GTA SA's and the realism of GTA IV's driving experience. Compared with SA, it's decent with a few nice tweaks and hands down, WAY better than IV's experience. Props to R* for trying to strike a balance to satisfy all players.

IN AIRCRAFT:

Planes are better than in any other GTA. However, helicopters are a nightmare between wind gusts and super-touchy controls. After lots of practice, helis do become easier but because of these two issues, just NOT enjoyable to fly. After maxing flying skill, it's easier.

ON MOTORCYCLES:

Better than in IV but NOT as good as SA. We need tighter but less touchy controls. Bikes should feel stiff or inflexible. Where's the resistance and weight distribution change when leaning? V's bikes feel like high performance cars with 2 wheels. These have been improved with patches, yay. Very enjoyable now.

ON BICYCLES:

Too much realism = not fun to ride at all. SA's were far more fun. With increased driving skill, it's better, but still has touchy steering.

ON BOATS:

Perfectly uniform despite the variety of watercraft. Boats are very easy to control and thus enjoyable to drive. It would be nice to see an increased top speed for the faster boats.

IN SUBMARINE:

Love it and it feels authentic too but why do I feel it's faster to swim with scuba gear than drive this thing? Its top speed is HORRENDOUS which makes exploring the sea floor a tiresome and extremely time-consuming chore.

OVERALL:

I think R* did a solid job trying to keep everyone happy despite their varied preferences. Any issues I've had will be easily remedied in a modified PC version. Fortunately, I won't have to change many things to get the experience I was hoping for. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users