Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

3,331 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2129 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (858 votes [40.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.30%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (583 votes [27.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.38%

3. Indifferent (95 votes [4.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (244 votes [11.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (349 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote
namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

To all the people bashing on GTA IV's driving system/engine saying there was no hope for any improvements with it and complaining about the boat like feeling of the vehicles, this is for you.

This mod was created by one person who made a script to make vehicles in IV to handle like they do in V, and they did a great job with it. Although there could be some obvious improvements with the mod, it's done very well. For instance, to make each individual vehicle on IV that's on V have the same speed, acceleration, and braking as it does currently V to make the mod better. That's kinda besides the point talking about how to make it better, but still, it goes to show it's possible and that's what I need to hear. Not because I enjoy V's handling more, because I really don't, but it raises the question why Rockstar didn't just improve the driving from the current engine they had. If they had a great fluid driving system like in IV where the cars had more more momentum, suspension, better body rolls, etc, why wouldn't they just implement that into GTA V and just add traction to the vehicles? It would work fantastic with it, and I guarantee a majority of people who are defending the driving on V complaining about IV's driving system wouldn't say a word about it. I mean come one, what were they thinking when they did what they did to the driving? In a way, I could guess they kinda had to make the driving this way so the current gen consoles could handle it on top of everything else going on in the game at once, but I know they could have found a way to make it work well with V. That's still no excuse to doing that though.

This was all that R* had to do, just tighten up the physics of IV a little like the chap in the video has done. Instead, they completely overhauled the physics engine which handles like the recycled rubbish that wasn't good enough for MCLA. How hard was it for the guy who made the video to improve on the over-exaggerated suspension and handling of IV - not very difficult, I'd wager. I suggest that R* give him a job as their vehicle physics expert.

• Cartman28279 likes this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Lol wat?

No, that video looks nasty as hell, give me IV's vanilla driving over that anyday.
  • tom666 likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Lol wat?

No, that video looks nasty as hell, give me IV's vanilla driving over that anyday.

Indeed, original pisses on that.

Funny he says "better cornering" or "fast braking" as if it these were good things... he´s just transfering 5´s problems to 4. 

• suicidehummer likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:50 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 19 October 2013 - 05:01 PM.

Listen, I drive. I drive plenty.

Hope it´s not true and just the usual kiddie trying to pretend being an adult. You´re a rolling danger if you really drive and think like that.

Funny you didn´t even adress one of my points and just resorted to making general statements like "this or that is or is not realistic" without nothing to back it up. Just like every other imbred defending 5´s driving, NOTHING to say but empty sentences without content.

Now, if you´re indeed an adult (doubt it), just do what I told you. Go to an empty parking lot, speed up to 60 km/h and turn from full lock to full lock as fast as you can. Then come here and tell me 4 was exxagerated when you made sharp turns at speed.

If you do indeed drive, the first time you have go out of your comfort zone you´re up for a shock mate. Bet you´ve never gone to a track and locked wheels under hard braking or pushed a stock car at all. Otherwise you´d know better. Let´s hope you don´t have to learn the hard way.

• kvbrock82 and tom666 like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Lol wat?

Indeed, original pisses on that.

Funny he says "better cornering" or "fast braking" as if it these were good things... he´s just transfering 5´s problems to 4. 

I agree, but it still looks a bit better than GTA V tho, but the cars don't leave skidmarks after heavy breaking, full ABS? I would have been happy if they left IV handling as it is and made that stuff available through tuning shops.

On a side note, why the hell does he handbrake like a moron while driving with IV handling?

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

I agree, but it still looks a bit better than GTA V tho, but the cars don't leave skidmarks after heavy breaking, full ABS? I would have been happy if they left IV handling as it is and made that stuff available through tuning shops.

On a side note, why the hell does he handbrake like a moron while driving with IV handling?

You never know, guess you have to try to judge properly, but I don´t like what I see in that video.

Why he does things that make no sense when he drives with IV handling? He probably doesn´t know what an actual car does when it´s heavily abused, and he thinks by doing that he´s just exposing IV´s weaknesses, making his work look better.

You know, like when these guys turn from full lock to full lock for no reason at all to show how "IV is crap".

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

You never know, guess you have to try to judge properly, but I don´t like what I see in that video.

Why he does things that make no sense when he drives with IV handling? He probably doesn´t know what an actual car does when it´s heavily abused, and he thinks by doing that he´s just exposing IV´s weaknesses, making his work look better.

You know, like when these guys turn from full lock to full lock for no reason at all to show how "IV is crap".

You know, given the option, I'd certainly settle for the "GTA V driving in GTA IV" driving physics shown in the video rather than the crap I've had to put up with over the last month. I'd still rather the physics didn't deviate from IV physics, but that'd do for want of anything better.

BAF-stueycow
  • BAF-stueycow

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Honestly i don't mind it

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

I basically feel like cars are lacking souls in V. When I buy a car in the supercar class, it feels like I'm just buying it and prefer it over the others simply for it's looks. That is all. The cars don't really feel all that distinct to each other and lack some pizazz.

In IV some of the cheapest, lousiest, most undesirable cars were a joy to drive. The Hakumai was cheap, rare, and weak but when you drove it, it was just fun. It wasn't fast but it was fun. :) Well in V I think they've done what some other developers tend to do. Make the high-end cars fun and make you not want to drive the lesser cars. The "lesser cars" are so boring, so unenjoyable, and it feels like they've put an emphasis on how slow they are. The only plus is that they can go around a corner with full confidence.

And that is the problem as well. Every car can go around a sharp corner with ease, you feel super confident. I'm beginning to miss the feeling of unforgiveness in IV. When I made a sharp turn in a Turismo I knew I was going to make it without making a mess. However when I did it in a wilder car like the Banshee or Coquette, I didn't feel so confident and depended on luck. It was fun. In V you can do a sharp corner in a Minivan, Phantom, even an Ingot, a truck. It isn't fun that way. What makes it worse is the lack of understeer and oversteer. I want to oversteer and drift in an Entity XF. I want almost precision in an Adder. I want understeer from an SUV.

Cars just lack soul in V and that is what makes me bored. Also the only vehicle that seems to have a suspension in this game is the Benefactor Dubsta, the only SUV that can f*cking drive off road and climb correctly. :yawn:

• B Dawg, Cartman28279, friendly luggage and 1 other like this

tom666
  • tom666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

Listen, I drive. I drive plenty.

Hope it´s not true and just the usual kiddie trying to pretend being an adult. You´re a rolling danger if you really drive and think like that.

Funny you didn´t even adress one of my points and just resorted to making general statements like "this or that is or is not realistic" without nothing to back it up. Just like every other imbred defending 5´s driving, NOTHING to say but empty sentences without content.

Now, if you´re indeed an adult (doubt it), just do what I told you. Go to an empty parking lot, speed up to 60 km/h and turn from full lock to full lock as fast as you can. Then come here and tell me 4 was exxagerated when you made sharp turns at speed.

If you do indeed drive, the first time you have go out of your comfort zone you´re up for a shock mate. Bet you´ve never gone to a track and locked wheels under hard braking or pushed a stock car at all. Otherwise you´d know better. Let´s hope you don´t have to learn the hard way.

Very well said. I can identify experience here.

I have driven front, mid and rear mounted engine cars.

IV made this distinction in the handling very very nicely.

Something that's just non-existant in v.

Still a lot of people think they are an excellent driver, but unless you have corrected a half million dollar rear engine supercar from a sideways drift from gravel to a dirt shoulder and back safely onto the road again at high speed.

IN REAL LIFE.

And left a smile on your face.

You may be talking about a subject you have no idea about Mr. "I drive plenty"...

• namor likes this

tom666
  • tom666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:59 AM Edited by Luke, 20 October 2013 - 04:15 PM. Removing link

want to make that money?

<removed>

SPAMMER!

Shootaholic
  • Shootaholic

zzzz....

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:31 AM Edited by Shootaholic, 20 October 2013 - 07:32 AM.

What people don't get is when you're jamming the stick to the left it actually represents jamming the steering wheel to the left fully. If you want to turn smoothly don't jam it fully so i think IV was actually kinda correct in that matter.

• Sting4S likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

One more detail showing how good IV was in this aspect. When you upshift gears, especially the short ones like 1st, 2nd or 3rd, your car will obviously be drive-less for a short period. It will decelerate a bit if it´s flat or uphill.

If before stepping on the clutch you were accelerating hard, there´ll be quite a severe weight shift from the back to the front (car goes instantly from heavy acceleration to slight deceleration).

Even that tiny detail was represented in IV, you could see the weight shifting, and it was more notable in short gears as well (hard to get high acceleration rates once you´re in long gears).

• suicidehummer and Sting4S like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

One more detail showing how good IV was in this aspect. When you upshift gears, especially the short ones like 1st, 2nd or 3rd, your car will obviously be drive-less for a short period. It will decelerate a bit if it´s flat or uphill.

If before stepping on the clutch you were accelerating hard, there´ll be quite a severe weight shift from the back to the front (car goes instantly from heavy acceleration to slight deceleration).

Even that tiny detail was represented in IV, you could see the weight shifting, and it was more notable in short gears as well (hard to get high acceleration rates once you´re in long gears).

You can't see weight shifting in V, that is for sure. :(

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

And I don´t think the car is actually drive-less either in V when you change gears. It just keeps accelerating. If you watch any video from IV with speedometer, the car decelerated like 2 km/h while the driver upshifted.

The whole gearbox thing is a mess now. The driver can´t downshift properly, he always does it too ealry making the car sound awful, right on the rev limiter.

• Sting4S likes this

Av iT
  • Av iT

Its all about making that GTA

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

The driving itself is sweet, control is okay etc better grip more realistic like dropping a gear to maintain speed and traction around corners etc its very useful although as for the likes of races i think the catch up thing is just ridiculous. its like playing need for speed go so fast and get Nitrous, GTA go behind a car and go 4x faster in 3 seconds making it a very unfair advantage to the actual best racer in the game who starts of 1st and ends up being pushed of the road lol... Races are to determine who is the better driver/rider in that race. not to determine who has the strongest car.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:23 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 20 October 2013 - 06:23 PM.

It's a little hit and miss but overall I really like it. It's fun to drive. When Next-Gen GTA rolls

around I expect they will be able to put even more physics on cars etc.

They (R*) are aiming for realistic and fun. They should be able to accomplish much much more on PS4, Xbox1.

It's a step in the right direction but like I said hit and miss. Sometimes cars are too responsive, some not enough.

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

I wrote a post about this a w h i l e back. Wrote it before the game even came out and told the folks here that you got the game you asked for. All the people complaining about the physics in IV got the game they asked for. The people complaining about V will probably get the physics of IV back. 

The physics are fine and much more like a real car. I used to take my 80 Impala around corners at speed without breaks. There was some use to overdrive in automatic transmissions. Man I loved that car. I should have got rid of her and kept it. MAN! 

As for everything else concerning physics in V see my signature.  

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:38 PM Edited by StingrayX, 20 October 2013 - 11:10 PM.

I think the bit fun I had driving in V just wore off. Played Forza after 4-5 weeks of V and so glad that I can actually feel the difference between cars and feel the weight.

@Above: Shut the *censored* up.

• Cartman28279 and suicidehummer like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

They (R*) are aiming for realistic and fun. They should be able to accomplish much much more on PS4, Xbox1.

The hardware excuse doesn´t cut it. GTA 4 was a PS3 game, and a quite early one. And they accomplished much more than this thing we have now.

• Cartman28279, namor and suicidehummer like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

I wrote a post about this a w h i l e back. Wrote it before the game even came out and told the folks here that you got the game you asked for. All the people complaining about the physics in IV got the game they asked for. The people complaining about V will probably get the physics of IV back. 

The physics are fine and much more like a real car. I used to take my 80 Impala around corners at speed without breaks. There was some use to overdrive in automatic transmissions. Man I loved that car. I should have got rid of her and kept it. MAN! 

Exactly. People complained endlessly about the driving in IV so they changed it and people still complain endlessly. No matter what they did people would have complained endlessly. Some people are like a nagging wife who finds fault no matter what her husband does.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Exactly. People complained endlessly about the driving in IV so they changed it and people still complain endlessly. No matter what they did people would have complained endlessly. Some people are like a nagging wife who finds fault no matter what her husband does.

Why the hell do people still used this idiotic flawed argument? Did I ever bitch about the driving in IV? No, I loved it. I have my preferences just like everyone else.

I honestly don't get why this forum goes ape sh*t whenever somebody brings up a negative opinion. Seriously? Grow up! I'm so tired of reading "people are never happy" "they bitched about that now they're bitching about this" blah blah blah oh god cut the sh*t! If you cannot handle an opinion then get off the internet. So sick and tired of comments like yours acting like everybody who is bitching about V's physics bitched about IV in the past.

Do you really think that is true? If so then man... And why does everybody care about what somebody thinks. Its like everybody likes to try and force their opinion onto somebody or like they get really annoyed when somebody has a different opinion. That is so idiotic. Oh man one more comment like yours and I will probably cuss that person out with every cuss word in the book.

• namor likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

Why the hell do people still used this idiotic flawed argument? Did I ever bitch about the driving in IV? No, I loved it. I have my preferences just like everyone else.

I honestly don't get why this forum goes ape sh*t whenever somebody brings up a negative opinion. Seriously? Grow up! I'm so tired of reading "people are never happy" "they bitched about that now they're bitching about this" blah blah blah oh god cut the sh*t! If you cannot handle an opinion then get off the internet. So sick and tired of comments like yours acting like everybody who is bitching about V's physics bitched about IV in the past.

Do you really think that is true? If so then man... And why does everybody care about what somebody thinks. Its like everybody likes to try and force their opinion onto somebody or like they get really annoyed when somebody has a different opinion. That is so idiotic. Oh man one more comment like yours and I will probably cuss that person out with every cuss word in the book.

I guess it's because it felt like I was the only person defending IV for a few years then when they change what people complained about people are more angry. This leads me to ask what exactly would make them happy.

GuitarJozz
  • GuitarJozz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

What would make those of us who dislike GTA V's driving physics would be to add an option in the settings to change the driving physics between GTA IV style and the new physics of V.  Simple as that.  Rockstar should have realized that not everyone hated IV's physics.  They should have known people who loved GTA IV and EVERYTHING about it including the physics, would be disappointed with the new physics.  They should have included an option to change the physics.  Or at least a cheat code that you could activate. 

Then everyone would be happy.  But Rockstar has let us down.  Because they listened to the complainers of IV's physics, namely people who only drove the cars to get to the next mission and beat the game, and didn't care for actually spending a bit of time to get a feel for the driving mechanics, and because they went full blown bizarro world and turned the driving a complete 180 to arcade/mario kart physics. 

That's why we are upset/angry/disappointed with Rockstar.  Or, at least, that's my view on it.  GTA V is still an amazing game.  It just seems contradictory of Rockstar to craft everything else about the game more towards realism, but then make the driving more arcade-like....

• Cartman28279 and Sting4S like this

TheDonutEater35
  • TheDonutEater35

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

i like it when the cops shoot your tires then your car just loses control. really fun but they should improve the driving mechanism a little bit more

TheDonutEater35
  • TheDonutEater35

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

What would make those of us who dislike GTA V's driving physics would be to add an option in the settings to change the driving physics between GTA IV style and the new physics of V.  Simple as that.  Rockstar should have realized that not everyone hated IV's physics.  They should have known people who loved GTA IV and EVERYTHING about it including the physics, would be disappointed with the new physics.  They should have included an option to change the physics.  Or at least a cheat code that you could activate. 

Then everyone would be happy.  But Rockstar has let us down.  Because they listened to the complainers of IV's physics, namely people who only drove the cars to get to the next mission and beat the game, and didn't care for actually spending a bit of time to get a feel for the driving mechanics, and because they went full blown bizarro world and turned the driving a complete 180 to arcade/mario kart physics. 

That's why we are upset/angry/disappointed with Rockstar.  Or, at least, that's my view on it.  GTA V is still an amazing game.  It just seems contradictory of Rockstar to craft everything else about the game more towards realism, but then make the driving more arcade-like....

i totally agree with you. when i first got my copy of GTA IV i was first too like ''this driving mechanism sucks'' but later like few months later i got the hang of it and actually liked it. 

Gingersnaps
  • Gingersnaps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

I really liked the mechanics in IV, so I was iffy when I heard they were changing it around. However, I like it. It's not as sloppy as IV could be, and it's nowhere near as terrible as LA Noire's was. It's a happy medium.

Sometimes I wish the damage was more realistic, but it makes the occasional t-bone resulting in someone's wheel flying down the street that much more satisfying lol.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

i totally agree with you. when i first got my copy of GTA IV i was first too like ''this driving mechanism sucks'' but later like few months later i got the hang of it and actually liked it. 

Not trying to argue with your opinion but don't you think maybe you can do the same with V?

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:55 AM Edited by suicidehummer, 22 October 2013 - 04:56 AM.

I guess it's because it felt like I was the only person defending IV for a few years then when they change what people complained about people are more angry. This leads me to ask what exactly would make them happy.

The people who complained about IV, love V and vice versa. I think this is the source of your confusion.

The difference is that IV's physics were damn near simulation realistic and the more discerning and mature players really appreciated it, whereas the fairweather gamers hated it because they don't understand how to control a real car at and beyond it's limits. Sure, IV had flaws, but they were tiny, and instead of fixing them, R* rebuilt the whole driving experience in a dumbed down way.

If R* continues this trend with future GTAs, I will fondly remember IV as the pinnacle of the series and the last real GTA.

• Kent_Paul_Jnr, FasterThanYou, GuitarJozz and 1 other like this

Stynki
  • Stynki

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

My driving mod is ready for the cars. If someone want to test, PM me.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users