Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

2,717 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (1915 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (768 votes [40.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.10%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (532 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

3. Indifferent (82 votes [4.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.28%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (210 votes [10.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.97%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (323 votes [16.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote
FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

Would have loved to see someone taking it to the limit around a circuit without traffic with that mod to get a better idea on how good it is.

Anyway, if it shows something, is that it´s false that it´s impossible to do such a big change yada-yada. They have the tools. If they want they can come up with something SO much better than we have now...

GuitarJozz
  • GuitarJozz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

That guy should make another video showing other types of vehicles.  But from him just driving that one car... 

How would I go about doing what he did???

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:18 PM Edited by sonic_blue, 13 October 2013 - 11:18 PM.

How would I go about doing what he did???

It's in the link.  You need a modded dvd drive firmware on your xbox (costs about $70 for the firmware modding tool)  and possibly even a certain brand of DVD burner for burning the game once you've modded it.   From what I can tell, you have to extract the common.rpf file (which contains handling.dat inside it) from disc2  , modify the handling.dat, then put handling.dat back into common.rpf, then common.rpf back into the disc iso (the author UEF has profided the already modded common.rpf file) and then burn it to a disc. 

I don't have a modded xbox myself but am considering doing it if R* don't do anything about it.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

Dope video, I hope everyone who made realistic mods from gta IV join in on the modding community for V, including myself. So many ideas waiting to be seen. Whether Rockstar do something or not, don't get mad, get even.

• namor likes this

Jadokel
  • Jadokel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Any one else disappointed in the wheelie physics? What happened to the balance point from the past games. Or is it just me. I thought offline, I needed to crank skill and get all bike upgrades, but to no avail. I cant keep one going for a block. In 4 I could wheelie across town, traffic or not. Post up if im missing something. Thanks.

Dinka Akuma is bike of choice, looks like real life bike.

If the sanchez or the dual sport is the only ones thatll wheelie in this game I think Im trading it in! not really...lol but ill be sad.

Jaydin85
  • Jaydin85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

I really like the driving in this game. Only thing I don't like is that I'm sent rolling over and over after just barely touching something.

Agni
  • Agni

Rex Ignaviae

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

Any one else disappointed in the wheelie physics? What happened to the balance point from the past games. Or is it just me. I thought offline, I needed to crank skill and get all bike upgrades, but to no avail. I cant keep one going for a block. In 4 I could wheelie across town, traffic or not. Post up if im missing something. Thanks.

If the sanchez or the dual sport is the only ones thatll wheelie in this game I think Im trading it in! not really...lol but ill be sad.

The bike physics in this game have been completely screwed over, bikes certainly got screwed the most.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, the helicopter controls in this game are ridiculous, staying still requires some completely ridiculous pinpoint accuracy like you're in the middle of a hurricane or something.
  • Cartman28279 likes this

Sli
  • Sli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

I hope people keep experimenting with the handling files, it should be much easier on the PC, so I still have a bit of hope for this game.

But man watching that video of the handling mod, I honestly couldn't help but laugh at the standard handling, it looks like someone is driving a RC car lol. And being able to flip them after rolling them over is the most retarded thing ever. It looks so stupid it's not even funny.

Jadokel
  • Jadokel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

The bike physics in this game have been completely screwed over, bikes certainly got screwed the most.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, the helicopter controls in this game are ridiculous, staying still requires some completely ridiculous pinpoint accuracy like you're in the middle of a hurricane or something.

ok, thanks for clarifying this for me. I though I was missing something.

Shootaholic
  • Shootaholic

zzzz....

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I hope they make the damage more sensitive and remove that stupid blowing up if you fall on roof feature.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I'm not gonna lie. some vehicles handle like a dream. some are not, while some are an upgrade from others.

just compare SA quad driving with V! I used to hate the SA quad. now its the best off-road vehicle in V :^:

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Group: Epsilonist

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

That video with the mod looks similar to the "slidey" cheat. Why aren't more people liking this?

GuitarJozz
  • GuitarJozz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

I tried that slidey cheat, and the only thing I noticed it does is just make the tires seem like they are on ice.  It doesn't give me the same feeling of GTA IV like some of you have said you've experienced.  I think mainly it's because the suspensions of the cars are way too stiff.  Now if the slidey cheat affected the suspensions too, then it would be perfect!

• namor likes this

Morril
  • Morril

Man of many hats

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

If they kept the handling of IV i'd be much happier. Its not terrible but it was definitely a shock when first starting. 

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Group: Epsilonist

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

I tried that slidey cheat, and the only thing I noticed it does is just make the tires seem like they are on ice.  It doesn't give me the same feeling of GTA IV like some of you have said you've experienced.  I think mainly it's because the suspensions of the cars are way too stiff.  Now if the slidey cheat affected the suspensions too, then it would be perfect!

I think the "lack of suspension" has more to do with the camera and it's positioning. If you switch to the FP-cam, you can see the suspension(s) clearly working. Hell! If you look behind from that view, the cars even kind of sway like the cars of GTA IV do. They also react to each and every bumps on the roads.

YawnMower
  • YawnMower

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

The car physics took some getting used to but the bike physics are just stupid, so motorbikes are incapable of moving wheel-spin or drift? They all have some kind of insane traction control? No more controlled wheelies? GTA IV bikes were almost perfect, they just had a mid-air rotation glitch that would flip you over for no reason.

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

I like it so far. Not simulation real, for sure... but balanced for this sort of game. It provides a decent variety of behaviors, handling characteristics and feels for the different vehicles. Considering the vastness of the game... not bad at all. Fun.

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I see people complaining about Motorcycles now.

I will admit that I HATED the Motobike handling at first, but after many races and buying my own Motorcycle, I have to say that I like it now.

If the Motorbikes handle like sh*T, try to practice driving them. The handling should start improving as you get use to them.  :^: 

Best handling Motorcycle imo is the Bati 801.

The Akuma comes close, but the Bati seems to be faster and has slightly sharper handling imo. It also looks better imo.

YawnMower
  • YawnMower

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

I ride and race motorbikes in real life, off-road and on-road.. And I have to say that the motorbikes physics are the same as the cars, only difference is the animation and lack of moving wheel-spin or drift. If Rockstar even have a bike physics tester, they are inept and have never ridden a motorbike in their life.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

Dr. King Schultz

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

I ride and race motorbikes in real life, off-road and on-road.. And I have to say that the motorbikes physics are the same as the cars, only difference is the animation and lack of moving wheel-spin or drift. If Rockstar even have a bike physics tester, they are inept and have never ridden a motorbike in their life.

I totally agree. The ATV and Motorcycles are weird to drive. They definatley have no idea on how either really drives. You would think they would hire one or two guys that have some knowledge on these driving physics for just ATV and Motorcycles. It seems to happen in everygame I play with ATV or motorcycles. They always sound weird. Nothing like they should. Plus they usually have a 2-stroke engine sound on a 4-stroke bike or atv, or its vise versa. Things have never changed in the video game industry. Nerds have no clue how one rides or sounds.

• namor likes this

YawnMower
  • YawnMower

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

I totally agree. The ATV and Motorcycles are weird to drive. They definatley have no idea on how either really drives. You would think they would hire one or two guys that have some knowledge on these driving physics for just ATV and Motorcycles. It seems to happen in everygame I play with ATV or motorcycles. They always sound weird. Nothing like they should. Plus they usually have a 2-stroke engine sound on a 4-stroke bike or atv, or its vise versa. Things have never changed in the video game industry. Nerds have no clue how one rides or sounds.

It really is just a modified car physics model, the lack of wheel-spin is a tell tale sign.. They excluded wheel-spin/drifting so they wouldn't have to make even more adjustments to the car physics model.

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

The car physics took some getting used to but the bike physics are just stupid, so motorbikes are incapable of moving wheel-spin or drift? They all have some kind of insane traction control? No more controlled wheelies? GTA IV bikes were almost perfect, they just had a mid-air rotation glitch that would flip you over for no reason.

I completely agree, I have absolutely have no idea what they were thinking making the motorcycles handle this way. They should have just kept GTA IV's bike handling and just improved it a bit. It was amazing and so much more enjoyable on GTA IV. 

By the way, the only reason that happens on GTA IV is if you do a front or back flip while holding in on the gas. If you just release the gas and pull back or forward, it flips like a charm amd doen't go out of control. 

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Adding on to the helicopter controls, I don't get why they made driving sooooo much easier on here but helicopter controls more difficult than before. I've been piloting on GTA IV for about 4 years now, and learning to use your machine guns on either the Annihilator or Buzzard and being able to shoot people on the ground or heli's in the air was very difficult to master. But it was possible to master it. Although it is possible on GTA V to master it in some ways, people just starting on the game will probably never learn how to shoot with the machine guns on the buzzard or annihilator because Rockstar made it so much more difficult. The headwinds and what ever else affecting the flight is just ridiculous, even a real helicopter wouldn't always be constantly affected the way helis on here are. I can still aim and shoot people on the ground with machine guns, but with constant shaking with the heli it makes it extremely hard to be accurate for anyone and it takes all the enjoyment out of flying as well. One other complaint with Buzzards on V, the ability to lock on to players online with missiles is just pathetic. There needs to be a feature when setting up games in Freemode and Vehicle Deathmatch to allow or disallow lock on with helicopters and jets. It's like auto aim for air vehicles and you can shoot someone down with the first lock on shot. It's so stupid and takes absolutely no skill to kill people with that. They might as well just add a lock on with tanks to if they're going to keep that in V. -__-

I really hope they do something about that.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Just got to ride in a car with no front right wheel. It´s the most crystal clear test to see the physics are totally f*cked up.  Because the thing was actually able to turn left regardless at a good speed.

The right front wasn´t even there, which was the wheel supposed to turn the car, and the left front wasn´t even touching the ground. So to summarize my car got grip to turn a 90º corner at around 70 km/h from a brake disc scratching in the ground. 

Gobsmacking.

Agni
  • Agni

Rex Ignaviae

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yuuuuup. What's the point of mechanical damage when it has barely any effect on performance?

wolfeskimo
  • wolfeskimo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

iso modding on xbox 360

http://www.thetechga...so-modding.html

Stynki
  • Stynki

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:03 AM Edited by Stynki, 15 October 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Since the release of this game, i am making a realistic handling for all vehicles and i can tell you exactly where are the biggest mistakes in the handling.dat file.  : )

Unrealisticaly fast accerelation, too much grip (cornering and accer/brake grip), too much brake power, almost every vehicle have a large antirollbar force. These four are the most unrealistic. 

They have also a value on how much to lose a traction at low speed, aka burnouts, and 4x4 jeeps have a bigger value (which means less grip) than cars, so a longer burnouts, which is a shame. : ) Also there are a material grip factor, which is too small, that's why vehicles almost do whatever they want on dirt and sand. Suspension levels are a bit stiffy also, especially the rebound damping ratio. 

There are imposiblly small turning radiuses for all the vehicles and a too big steering angles.

And there are things that can't be tweaked from the handling file, like a countersteering aid and the slightly autobrake aid system, when you let of the gas.

NasherUK
  • NasherUK

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:29 AM Edited by NasherUK, 15 October 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Use the "slidey" cheat, people; it makes the game more enjoyable.

Anyway, there will definitely be a "realistic handling mod" for GTA V when it drops for PC.

Yea, but that makes it too slidey in some vehicles. Plus it doesn't seem to effect NPC cars so it can make some missions impossible.

GTA V's physics are very broken and it becomes more obvious as you do more extreme things and drive highly damaged cars. It's a shame they took such a step backwards :(

GuitarJozz
  • GuitarJozz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Since the release of this game, i am making a realistic handling for all vehicles and i can tell you exactly where are the biggest mistakes in the handling.dat file.  : )

Unrealisticaly fast accerelation, too much grip (cornering and accer/brake grip), too much brake power, almost every vehicle have a large antirollbar force. These four are the most unrealistic. 

They have also a value on how much to lose a traction at low speed, aka burnouts, and 4x4 jeeps have a bigger value (which means less grip) than cars, so a longer burnouts, which is a shame. : ) Also there are a material grip factor, which is too small, that's why vehicles almost do whatever they want on dirt and sand. Suspension levels are a bit stiffy also, especially the rebound damping ratio. 

There are imposiblly small turning radiuses for all the vehicles and a too big steering angles.

And there are things that can't be tweaked from the handling file, like a countersteering aid and the slightly autobrake aid system, when you let of the gas.

What about suspension?  Is there anything in the handling files about suspension?  Or would decreasing the antirollbar force make the suspensions of the vehicles a bit softer?

NasherUK
  • NasherUK

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:43 AM Edited by NasherUK, 15 October 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Is it possible to alter the handling.dat file if you install the 2nd disk on to an external drive by extracting it from one of the data files, then injecting it back in?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users