Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,862 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2613 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1023 votes [39.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.15%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (731 votes [27.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.98%

3. Indifferent (121 votes [4.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (310 votes [11.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (428 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Wyattsawesome
  • Wyattsawesome

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

People, it isn't going to change. Rockstar isn't going to completely change one of the mechanics in the game because a fraction of the fans didn't like it. It may be improved upon, but it's not going to change completely and that's just the way it is. Look, if you guys want realistic driving, go play Gran Turismo. That's not what Rockstar was going for and that's not what the end result was, obviously. Suspend your disbelief. Try to have fun with it. When you look at things in a negative light, that's all your going to see, negative. The driving on this game, while different than GTA IV's, is still fun and enjoyable. You just need to stop looking at what it CAN'T do and look at it for what it can.

• ten-a-penny likes this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

Your statement is completely hollow. The system is BAD. That's just a fact. We're not gonna "look for what it can do" like brainwashed Party Members.

• Boxman108 likes this

Wyattsawesome
  • Wyattsawesome

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

Your statement is completely hollow. The system is BAD. That's just a fact. We're not gonna "look for what it can do" like brainwashed Party Members.

I'm not sure what brainwashed Party Members are, but okay then. If that's how you look at it, then too bad I guess. You just don't like the driving in the game. It's not like they're gonna change it. Sending emails, petitioning, and criticizing it in forums won't change anything. Rockstar is the type of company to cater to their fans, but you have to realize you're in the minority. Just because the majority of people in this thread agree with you doesn't mean you're on the winning side. If it were that big a deal, Rockstar would've addressed it by now. The game's been out a week short of a month. It's just not going to happen and if you don't like it, you'll just have to deal with it. I seriously doubt they'll completely reprogram their driving system just because a fraction of the fanbase disapproved.

• Lord_Ant_Warrior likes this

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

I fell as if, gta V is not gta 5 but grand theft midnight redemption andreas. I really wish gta 4 was a lot bigger and had more room for upgrades, that way I wouldn't care how gta V would of turn out. Glad I didn't buy it, can't depend on many games now that catches my attention.

• Boxman108 likes this

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

I seriously doubt they'll completely reprogram their driving system just because a fraction of the fanbase disapproved.

I hope they don't either, but instead create a new series that is just like gta where they make cars realistic to challenge themselves in the art of game design. I wish I had the patients to create a game.

thevaiguy
  • thevaiguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

Love what they did with the in-game driving...

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

I´d like to bring in another topic that has been neglected till now. We´ve been talking about arcade features as "roll your car back" or "air control", but we haven´t talked about the slipstream.

I was excited at first when I knew it was in. Properly implemented, it would have been a nice feature. But they went down the cheap way. Slipstream gives an absurd ammount of boost, and it starts doing it at way too low speeds. It can get a compact car like a Blista past another in a short straight as if the guy behind got a 50 HP boost out of nowhere. And with poweful cars and highways it gets worse and worse.

It shouldn´t be like this. You should have got a 5 km/h extra down a long straight at near top speed, not this sh*t we have now. It has to be toned down. There are already options to help whoever is trailing in the menu, and they can be turned off. When I turn that off I don´t want that crap it, and slipstream is THAT bad.

nigidia
  • nigidia

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

People, it isn't going to change. Rockstar isn't going to completely change one of the mechanics in the game because a fraction of the fans didn't like it. It may be improved upon, but it's not going to change completely and that's just the way it is. Look, if you guys want realistic driving, go play Gran Turismo. That's not what Rockstar was going for and that's not what the end result was, obviously. Suspend your disbelief. Try to have fun with it. When you look at things in a negative light, that's all your going to see, negative. The driving on this game, while different than GTA IV's, is still fun and enjoyable. You just need to stop looking at what it CAN'T do and look at it for what it can.

V is the first in all series where Driving gone unreal. about 30% didn't expect it. If R* will'nt do anything with unreal driving style it  means R* have all this 30% in ass. I think 30% is a real percentage i did many poles and its truelly number. 

Foppezão
  • Foppezão

Playa

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:49 PM Edited by Foppezão, 11 October 2013 - 02:07 PM.

I´d like to bring in another topic that has been neglected till now. We´ve been talking about arcade features as "roll your car back" or "air control", but we haven´t talked about the slipstream.

I was excited at first when I knew it was in. Properly implemented, it would have been a nice feature. But they went down the cheap way. Slipstream gives an absurd ammount of boost, and it starts doing it at way too low speeds. It can get a compact car like a Blista past another in a short straight as if the guy behind got a 50 HP boost out of nowhere. And with poweful cars and highways it gets worse and worse.

It shouldn´t be like this. You should have got a 5 km/h extra down a long straight at near top speed, not this sh*t we have now. It has to be toned down. There are already options to help whoever is trailing in the menu, and they can be turned off. When I turn that off I don´t want that crap it, and slipstream is THAT bad.

Agree with you here, i just discovered slipstream recently, at first its a nice feature, but also with the catch up in the menu the n00bs get way too much tools to play with.

I was thinking how i could improve my start of the race but then i realized it doesnt really matter because people can always 'catch up' with you in your slipstream, it also works for bike races which are completely insane if you ask me..

If i remember the hardcore racers in GTA 4 carving the perfect racingline in their comets, those days are over.You have to drive more unpredictable, its like track cycling which makes it pretty neat, but they should remove catch up and nerf the slipstream a bit.

I also discovered the checkpoints are more sensitive than in GTA 4, no shortcuts,  anybody discovered free race yet?(scripted ones) and how can you make your own races, i would really like making some races in vinewood hills, nice drifting there :panic:

Lord_Ant_Warrior
  • Lord_Ant_Warrior

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

The first thing I noticed was how easy the cars are to handle. I love it, definitely makes for better chases. But I can also see that others find it too easy. The system on IV was way too far the other way though, those cars were like f*cking barges. Just terrible handling unless you were driving a Bullet GT or Infernus or something. And I'm all for difficulty in games, see my post in the "Cop AI" thread. But I found the driving to be a definite improvement.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

I don't understand how cars drive like sh*t in gta IV and only the good ones like the Bullet gt or Turismo are the ones people choose to drive. If all the cars perform like them with lower speed limits, then every car would basically be the same, which you basically have in gta V. Not every car is suppose to perform the same, and to make something like driving so easy is like in black ops 2, everyone think they doing good until they take aim assist off. I wounder if driving assist will be available in the next update. 

Wyattsawesome
  • Wyattsawesome

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

V is the first in all series where Driving gone unreal. about 30% didn't expect it. If R* will'nt do anything with unreal driving style it  means R* have all this 30% in ass. I think 30% is a real percentage i did many poles and its truelly number. 

So 5 million people that bought the game (around 30% of the 15 million that bought it) didn't like the driving? You can guarantee that? Any poll you do on a forum won't matter in the big picture, because you're just polling that group of people. Similar results might be significant, or they might just mean that the same type of people use forums. Odds are it's the latter. Like I said, if it were that big of a deal, it would've been addressed by now. 5 million is a lot. Believe me, it's far lower than 30% of the fanbase.

• kasheku likes this

Wyattsawesome
  • Wyattsawesome

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

The first thing I noticed was how easy the cars are to handle. I love it, definitely makes for better chases. But I can also see that others find it too easy. The system on IV was way too far the other way though, those cars were like f*cking barges. Just terrible handling unless you were driving a Bullet GT or Infernus or something. And I'm all for difficulty in games, see my post in the "Cop AI" thread. But I found the driving to be a definite improvement.

Exactly. Not perfect, but definitely better and much more enjoyable.

• ten-a-penny likes this

gibson6380
  • gibson6380

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

I played GTA 4 Race online religiously and i suppose the best way i can sum up GTA 5 Race would be... Does anyone remember playing the original 'Ridge Racer' on the Playstation 1 in 1996? That is how i would describe the driving. The car doesn’t appear to be on the road, handling is just to erratic, flamboyant and almost uncontrollable at most times.

I mean, compared to GTA 4 Driving, GTA 5 might as well just roll over and die. Absolute Shame.

Rockstar have taken my favourite aspect of the GTA franchise and Ruined(!) that for myself and countless other fans.

• DrAnomalous likes this

EQUIVISH
  • EQUIVISH

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I enjoy that it has arcade features like car control in flight. I just dont see why motorcycles are more realistic and hardly maneuverable in flight. Would be nice if they handled more like GTA IV when in flight! Why go arcade with cars and realistic with bikes?

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

I enjoy that it has arcade features like car control in flight. I just dont see why motorcycles are more realistic and hardly maneuverable in flight. Would be nice if they handled more like GTA IV when in flight! Why go arcade with cars and realistic with bikes?

I want some of that you smoke. No I actually don´t want it, it´s probably that stuff that makes you think you´re fighting aliens with a gatling gun...

Just in case you´re not high, STAY AWAY from motorbikes if you think this game is realistic when it comes to bike handling.

GuitarJozz
  • GuitarJozz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:13 PM Edited by GuitarJozz, 12 October 2013 - 01:15 PM.

I used to go rock crawling and stuff in GTA IV and now it's basically impossible with this garbage new suspension model (although calling it a suspension model is being pretty generous).

The driving has really killed my enjoyment of the game. I have this big map with all these places I want to go look at and all these mountains and things I want to drive on... until I realize how sh*t the driving is and then I just don't care anymore. Pretty much everything else is improved, but without the ability to enjoy the driving, it has severely cut down on the longevity of the game.

I'm not sure who to blame, whether it's the casuals and people who are too stupid to learn basic physics things like inertia and don't know what an apex is, or whether it's the guys from Midnight Club, or what. First time driving in the game I felt like I had been punched in the stomach though, severely disappointing.

This guy back on page 5 put into word exactly how I feel about how drastically they changed the mechanics/physics.

I just played GTA V for the first time two days ago.  I was expecting maybe a couple small adjustments to the driving physics, but overall, I thought it would be fairly similar to GTA IV.  I was wrong, severely disappointed, annoyed, angered, and saddened.  It feels like playing a kart racing game now.  They seem to have deleted the word 'suspension' from all of the vehicle config files.  It's a huge slap in the face to those of us who still played GTA IV every week. 

I was eagerly anticipating this game, because of the San Andreas location.  With the mountaineous areas, the elevation changes, and the updated graphics, I was salivating at the thought of having a blast driving around in this new game.  But as Morbid said in his post back on page 5, the first time I drove a vehicle in the game, it felt like someone pummeled me in the gut.  It is just incredibly disappointing, because here is another example of what a game like this could have been.  It could have been excellent, and a game I'd be playing for the next 4 or 5 years.  As it is, though, I think I have already given up on it.  If there is no word on a patch or update that involves anything about the driving physics in the next few weeks, whether it be an option in the settings menu, allowing us to raise the suspension of our car in the car shop instead of just lowering it, or adjusting the physics of the vehicles slightly overall, I am most likely going to sell my copy on ebay...

I could forgive the downgraded damage modeling if the vehicles actually had a suspension and proper feel to them.  But they took away two of the most exhilarating and exciting elements of the driving gameplay, and that completely ruins the game for me...

• Cartman28279, FasterThanYou and jagcivtec like this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

GTA IV:

the ONLY "vehicle" I was able to "ride" in IV was the NRG-900!

rest of it is TRASH! :devil:

I feel like my L2 button is broken :yawn: impossible to slow down when turning (without using the R2/X button!)

GTA V:

two words: GTA SA! :^: I only hated the Bati 801 controls when played the game for the first time. now it handles like a dream :cool:

but nothing can beat the double T and PCJ-600! :cool: hands. off :^:

long-story-short:

GTA V handling is TONS of times better than the trashy GTA IV handling!

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Use the "slidey" cheat, people; it makes the game more enjoyable.

Anyway, there will definitely be a "realistic handling mod" for GTA V when it drops for PC.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

have you ever played ANY game before playing IV?

and what do you mean with "brainwashed people"? you act like the EXACT person in dA that we almost created a fight just because of a stupid thing!

if you feel that the driving system is bad, then sell the game and brake your console of how many times you play the "ultra-amazing+hand=off" GTA IV and let the REAL gta v/gta fans alone! :v:

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Ok, so people are getting offended.  Let's not say it's bad or good.  The facts are:  It's just easy and arcade-ish, the feel is like a NES game from the 90's style where physics engines didn't exist.  Not very challenging, requires very little skill to look good, allows for incredible actions like driving a supercar up a steep mountain.  If people think that's awesome, well fine, if people think that's pathetic, well fine also, it's a matter of preference.  I personally find it very underwhelming.

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

I used to go rock crawling and stuff in GTA IV and now it's basically impossible with this garbage new suspension model (although calling it a suspension model is being pretty generous).

The driving has really killed my enjoyment of the game. I have this big map with all these places I want to go look at and all these mountains and things I want to drive on... until I realize how sh*t the driving is and then I just don't care anymore. Pretty much everything else is improved, but without the ability to enjoy the driving, it has severely cut down on the longevity of the game.

I'm not sure who to blame, whether it's the casuals and people who are too stupid to learn basic physics things like inertia and don't know what an apex is, or whether it's the guys from Midnight Club, or what. First time driving in the game I felt like I had been punched in the stomach though, severely disappointing.

This guy back on page 5 put into word exactly how I feel about how drastically they changed the mechanics/physics.

I just played GTA V for the first time two days ago.  I was expecting maybe a couple small adjustments to the driving physics, but overall, I thought it would be fairly similar to GTA IV.  I was wrong, severely disappointed, annoyed, angered, and saddened.  It feels like playing a kart racing game now.  They seem to have deleted the word 'suspension' from all of the vehicle config files.  It's a huge slap in the face to those of us who still played GTA IV every week. 

I was eagerly anticipating this game, because of the San Andreas location.  With the mountaineous areas, the elevation changes, and the updated graphics, I was salivating at the thought of having a blast driving around in this new game.  But as Morbid said in his post back on page 5, the first time I drove a vehicle in the game, it felt like someone pummeled me in the gut.  It is just incredibly disappointing, because here is another example of what a game like this could have been.  It could have been excellent, and a game I'd be playing for the next 4 or 5 years.  As it is, though, I think I have already given up on it.  If there is no word on a patch or update that involves anything about the driving physics in the next few weeks, whether it be an option in the settings menu, allowing us to raise the suspension of our car in the car shop instead of just lowering it, or adjusting the physics of the vehicles slightly overall, I am most likely going to sell my copy on ebay...

I could forgive the downgraded damage modeling if the vehicles actually had a suspension and proper feel to them.  But they took away two of the most exhilarating and exciting elements of the driving gameplay, and that completely ruins the game for me...

Exactly, R* is not facing it, they could just issue a statement saying they will make an option available soon (which I expected them to do) but if they haven't come forward yet it's likely they will ignore their GTA4 fan base.  

Best option for those of us who can't have fun with this arcade easy driving best bet is to get rid of the game.  I wanted to keep this game for years but the appeal is gone with the challenge in driving ripped out of the game.

With no sense of randomness, driving is pretty repetitive, underwhelming and ultimately boring for the hard core, skilled drivers who know their physics, so casuals will just drop this game for the next shooter, and the faithful fans are forever lost.  

Thanks for nothing R*.   Good luck riding the casual gaming wagon of dumbed-down games.  I and many other faithful fans have absolutely loss respect and credibility for the company.

• gunziness and Cartman28279 like this

Sli
  • Sli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

have you ever played ANY game before playing IV?

and what do you mean with "brainwashed people"? you act like the EXACT person in dA that we almost created a fight just because of a stupid thing!

if you feel that the driving system is bad, then sell the game and brake your console of how many times you play the "ultra-amazing+hand=off" GTA IV and let the REAL gta v/gta fans alone! :v:

That makes no sense, why should things stay stagnant and never improve or get refined? It seems like these so called "real GTA fans" are actually very closed to any improvements to the franchise, they just want the same experience that was provided more than decade ago. I've been playing these games since GTA 2 on the PSX, I loved GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. I loved San Andreas. Spent maybe too much playing it. But man, when I played GTA 4 it felt like a true step forward, it had amazing physics, and not just in vehicles. Everything reacted believably. It gave way more depth to the driving than your standard arcade physics where everything is just sort of glued to the road.

Now, I also admit that the game wasn't perfect, there were definitely improvements to be made, but the new physics made up for it, so that's why I was incredibly excited about GTA V. In my mind it was going to be the scale of San Andreas + the physics of GTA IV with some tweaks to make it more solid. But what happened? Driving went back to the simplistic PS2 days where cars are more like cardboard boxes with wheels than actual cars. No weight, no momentum. It went the Saints Row way where vehicles are just there to take you from point A to B. It was a disappointment, instead of improving on the foundations that GTA IV layered, it took all of that away.

• Cartman28279, namor and Ermac like this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:04 AM Edited by bicycles?, 13 October 2013 - 05:07 AM.

It's just bad.

Plenty of games from ps1, n64, ps2, xbox, dreamcast, etc... had better/more realistic handling and better crashes.

The flippy/floaty/floppy/slippery/accelerated sliding is all just garbage.

Just because it's better/different than gta4, doesn't mean it's actually good.

And for god's sake the animals all stay in one piece when you hit or shoot them.

Games twenty years ago were more fun than gta in this aspect (gore)

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

This is crap. Instead of dreaming with the moment I get to race a tuned supercar, I´m actually avoiding them and racing american cars, or coupes because these last actually handle like cars and not spaceships.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

There are things worse than death

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

The fact that SA tops V in driving is a disaster:

• Cartman28279 likes this

GuitarJozz
  • GuitarJozz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

I sent a suggestion support ticket thing to Rockstar from their website, about the driving physics.  I gave them the link to that petition, and a link to this topic.  I suggested that they could add an option in the settings to allow us to change between GTA IV type physics, and the new physics of GTA V.  I also suggested perhaps adding a new cheat to the game which would do this as well, one that would be un-timed(looking at you, invincibility mode!).  One last suggestion I added, if an option in the settings or a cheat like this which changes the vehicles physics on the fly would be a bit difficult to implement, is to just release a patch to change the physics for trucks/SUVs/off road vehicles and some other types of cars, to have more suspension and feel more like they did in GTA IV.  So at least the vehicles that should have more suspension, less grip, etc, would be changed a bit. I added in that if they update the game with an option in the settings or whatever, that they give the vehicles more pronounced damage effects as well.

I received a response this morning, from a Brian J:

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate any feedback from fans of our games. If you have any other suggestions or concerns we would be glad to hear them--I'll make sure the correct action and consideration are taken with them.If you have any other questions or technical issues please let us know.

Best Regards,
Brian J

So maybe there's hope for some kind of future patch/update? 

• Cartman28279 and namor like this

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

I sent a suggestion support ticket thing to Rockstar from their website, about the driving physics.  I gave them the link to that petition, and a link to this topic.  I suggested that they could add an option in the settings to allow us to change between GTA IV type physics, and the new physics of GTA V.  I also suggested perhaps adding a new cheat to the game which would do this as well, one that would be un-timed(looking at you, invincibility mode!).  One last suggestion I added, if an option in the settings or a cheat like this which changes the vehicles physics on the fly would be a bit difficult to implement, is to just release a patch to change the physics for trucks/SUVs/off road vehicles and some other types of cars, to have more suspension and feel more like they did in GTA IV.  So at least the vehicles that should have more suspension, less grip, etc, would be changed a bit. I added in that if they update the game with an option in the settings or whatever, that they give the vehicles more pronounced damage effects as well.

I received a response this morning, from a Brian J:

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate any feedback from fans of our games. If you have any other suggestions or concerns we would be glad to hear them--I'll make sure the correct action and consideration are taken with them.If you have any other questions or technical issues please let us know.

Best Regards,
Brian J

So maybe there's hope for some kind of future patch/update? 

This is sadly an automated response. I sent several e-mails to R* berating the fact that the driving was sub-standard in a current generation game and received exactly the same reply...THREE times!!!

What I found just as disappointing with the game was that R* had removed the Classic configuration from the controller set-up options menu. Not everybody likes, or is coordinated enough to use the triggers for accelerate/brake, and using the triggers for helicopter handling is horrendous. It's bad enough that they dumbed down the driving physics, but they ramped up the difficulty with the helicopter handling. It makes no sense to dumb down one aspect of the game and raise the difficulty of another.

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:27 PM Edited by sonic_blue, 13 October 2013 - 09:40 PM.

http://www.se7ensins...-damage.994558/

All of the modification is done by editing only one file on disc2 called "handling.dat" (it's the file where all the car's handling physics and damage modelling settings are stored).

Just send this handling.dat file to R* and get them to patch it in as an option in the menu (vehicle handling:  normal / simulation).

Which, of course, they will not do :)

But it's amazing what 1 person can do in 2 weeks what R* couldn't do in 5 years :)

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

http://www.se7ensins...-damage.994558/

All of the modification is done by editing only one file on disc2 called "handling.dat" (it's the file where all the car's handling physics and damage modelling settings are stored).

Just send this handling.dat file to R* and get them to patch it in as an option in the menu (vehicle handling:  normal / simulation).

Which, of course, they will not do :)

But it's amazing what 1 person can do in 2 weeks what R* couldn't do in 5 years :)

A little more bounce to the suspension and a mod for more realistic braking, acceleration as well as reigning down the top speed and we have a winner.

R* sacrificed driving physics for the impression of speed in the game in order to cater to those that haven't learned to not take their finger off the accelerator.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users