Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

3,236 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2074 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (832 votes [40.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.12%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (571 votes [27.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.53%

3. Indifferent (92 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (237 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (342 votes [16.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:00 PM Edited by Piramic, 30 September 2013 - 04:00 PM.

1.Car people thing counter steering is corrective steering during a slide. Motorcycle people know that counter steering is the act of a slight steering input in the opposite direction of a corner to initiate the lean into said turn. Most people ride a motorcycle and don't even realize they are doing it.

f*ck I´m road cyclist and I didn´t even know someone called that practice countersteer at all. So it´s both things then!

McDeadly411
  • McDeadly411

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:11 PM Edited by McDeadly411, 30 September 2013 - 04:15 PM.

It took me a while to get used to the way V handling works for cars, and bikes are a whole other twitchy beast to learn, but I'd say that it's overall quite nice, actually. Different cars handle differently, and offroad is different than highway/city driving. Ultimately, BMX is the way to go, but that's whole 'nother argument. While I've gotten used to it overall, there is one way Rockstar could make this game my favorite for driving, and that's a better customization system.

Thing is, most custom parts that affect handling are really more like upgrades, not customizations. I find that leaving suspension and brakes on stock, while upgrading the engine, transmission, adding turbo, and messing around with tires (though these actually are customizations) gives me the closest way possible to customize cars to fit me. Seems like I'm going a bit out of my way at the moment to manipulate the system, just to get a fraction of what I need the garage to give me.

I was a huge fan of IV's handling, though now that I've gone back to play since starting V, I can see how IV definitely feels like driving in the mud compared to V. While it's nice to have a tighter feel to the handling, I'd like a better system that allows me to fit my car so that I can tone down the touchy steering (in some cars and most bikes), lack of fun drifting ability (especially in a lot of high-end cars I've tried), and the stuck-to-the-road feel of driving in V. This would especially help with dirt bikes and crotch rockets in V, as I can't seem to get them to feel right at all. 

As for motorcycles, less twitchy steering would be nice, and having my wheelies kept so far in check that it's hard to screw one up is a bit of a bummer. I pretty much just stick with big 'ol hogs, instead of dirt bikes and crotch rockets. Gotta have something to ride, since I was such a fan of IV's motorcycles.

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

your very right about the throttle control. in most rwds car you can pretty much let go of the wheel and let off the gas it will straighten out.

We're talking about aggressive driving, not you on the way to the drugstore to buy tampons in your moms mini-van. 

the_suicide_fox
  • the_suicide_fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Realistic? Mythbusters proved that you can not blow up a car by shooting it. They even did a best case scenario with tracers rounds and a half fill gas tank. It didn't even catch fire.

But then you go on to the second part. SMH, do you use logic at all?

He didn't say it was completely realistic, just that it was more realistic.

Derp... more realistic means it is less likely to explode dude. If it cars take longer to explode in V than IV then THAT is more realistic because CARS DON'T REALLY EXPLODE WHEN SHOT!!

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

1.Car people thing counter steering is corrective steering during a slide. Motorcycle people know that counter steering is the act of a slight steering input in the opposite direction of a corner to initiate the lean into said turn. Most people ride a motorcycle and don't even realize they are doing it.

f*ck I´m road cyclist and I didn´t even know someone called that practice countersteer at all. So it´s both things then!

I learned about that type of counter-steer when I first started riding a bike. I guess the thing to remember is that people with different specialties will sometimes use the same terms to describe different things.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

I learned about that type of counter-steer when I first started riding a bike. I guess the thing to remember is that people with different specialties will sometimes use the same terms to describe different things.

Yes. And a different mother language helps too. We call the car kind of countersteer "contravolante" here, and bikes and bycicles don´t even have a "volante" (Steering wheel).

It doesn´t apply to that practice in my mother language. You always learn new stuff.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Guess that would be like "putting the pedal down" on a bike >.< Language is funny. :p

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

your very right about the throttle control. in most rwds car you can pretty much let go of the wheel and let off the gas it will straighten out.

We're talking about aggressive driving, not you on the way to the drugstore to buy tampons in your moms mini-van. 

and your idea of aggressive driving is sliding around your mother camary in a hs parking lot. 85 on the freeway isnt aggressive drivng.

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

further more unless you consider the astro van and aerostar vans mini vans which there actually midsize vans according to there producers you wont find a rwd mini van.

gigsroy
  • gigsroy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:48 PM Edited by gigsroy, 30 September 2013 - 06:01 PM.

Its a shame we can't enter the slidey cars cheat in GTA Online... well I doubt it

I hope you can slidey cars is so much fun and is a massive improvement over GTA IV.

Slidey cars should be an option, it makes the game harder so I can't see why they cant. Boosting in a fully tuned XF through the mountains is so much more rewarding. You can hit way higher speeds aswel. I got that thing up to 280mph with Franklin, its a blast.
Also try driving burnout and drift cars with Trevor and Michael they smoke the tyres for way longer than Franklin. The cars are so different with slidey cars on, I don't get why the people complaining don't use it.

Motorbike suck though, there's no denying that.

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:50 PM Edited by Sinz86irocblk, 30 September 2013 - 05:53 PM.

further more unless you consider the astro van and aerostar vans mini vans which there actually midsize vans according to there producers you wont find a rwd mini van.

Sliding around in a Camry would be aggressive driving :bored: and sure 85 on the freeway isn't aggressive driving I can agree with that. 

Hot sh*t you got me about mini vans. I suppose you get some credit for that. Yet you're still wrong about your original post about RWD cars  :)

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

hows that? if you back out of the throttle dont touch the brakes a rwd will correct itself most of the time. you try to jerk it back straight  you end up as we say in most police reports overcorrect and make the backend come on around. it takes a light to almost no touch of the wheel. fwd is a total different story. as for the camary in a parking lot its as aggressive as a 3 yo on his tricycle. not like your going to a 100 mph in a parking lot unless its pretty damn long.

Beckner2
  • Beckner2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

It's like torque doesn't apply. Some cars start to drift and then the car bogs down, and that ends that. Wheel spin should be steady through the first 2 gears at least maybe 3. They had the same problem on 4, the cars would burnout a little. Give us manual transmission option, people who don't want it can leave it to automatic.

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

i take it you own a second year iroc btw?

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

hows that? if you back out of the throttle dont touch the brakes a rwd will correct itself most of the time. you try to jerk it back straight  you end up as we say in most police reports overcorrect and make the backend come on around. it takes a light to almost no touch of the wheel. fwd is a total different story. as for the camary in a parking lot its as aggressive as a 3 yo on his tricycle. not like your going to a 100 mph in a parking lot unless its pretty damn long.

Yeah well we're done here.

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

done with what? wtf?

Beckner2
  • Beckner2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

With Slidey cars you can just run into a car on you feet and it slides. The game is virtually a real life simulator, is it not? Manual transmissions, a steering sensitivity setting bc handling is way to tight, cars that keep spinning after you shift gears and add "lift kits" to the custom shops.

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

the cars are tight which is right for a fwd car actually but its like all cars are fwd accords

gigsroy
  • gigsroy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

It's like torque doesn't apply. Some cars start to drift and then the car bogs down, and that ends that. Wheel spin should be steady through the first 2 gears at least maybe 3. They had the same problem on 4, the cars would burnout a little. Give us manual transmission option, people who don't want it can leave it to automatic.

Tap the handbrake RB or R1 when the revs are dropping, works wonders

Beckner2
  • Beckner2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Exactly, well said!

Beckner2
  • Beckner2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

RB n R1 gets it to kick around until the car bogs down n quits immediately after you tap R1 or RB

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

an auto should behave better still on the game. a sabre should loose traction in curve if your doing 30 and nail it.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

BTW, already mentioned it, but they got the driving SO wrong that now characters can´t even f*cking downsh*t properly. They come down through the gears too fast (and you have to be really idiot to downshift too fast with the ammount of braking power these things have now) and you´re constantly hitting the limiter.

It sounds like a cat having its tail ran over by a van.

Sli
  • Sli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

I just reinstalled IV and damn, even Roman's cab is so fun to drive. I have NO idea how people can find it hard to "get around corners", you just have to like, duh, use your brakes? Cars feel so heavy and nice, and they react to everything in a really nice way. Honestly what the hell happened. All it needed was minor tweaks. I also installed the realistic damage mod and it just makes it 100x better. T-boning a car feels amazing lol.

• DrAnomalous and Boxman108 like this

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

you played tbogt? best by far.

gigsroy
  • gigsroy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

BTW, already mentioned it, but they got the driving SO wrong that now characters can´t even f*cking downsh*t properly. They come down through the gears too fast (and you have to be really idiot to downshift too fast with the ammount of braking power these things have now) and you´re constantly hitting the limiter.

It sounds like a cat having its tail ran over by a van.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the valve bouncing in some cars like the one franklin has. That sh*t can't be good for the motor, anyone who knows how to do a burnout will hold the revs just below redline. Franklin should know, he's a wheel man. Having said that the phoenix smokes up nice, frys the tyres the whole way down the block.

AfterDeath
  • AfterDeath

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Grand Theft Auto's driving was always arcade-like. It was never meant to simulate real driving. That is why when the drifty sluggish driving came along in GTA IV I just used the taxi to get anywhere I wanted to go. I have to say that the driving in GTA V is the best driving physics yet for the series. If you deny that then you are a nutcase.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Grand Theft Auto's driving was always arcade-like. It was never meant to simulate real driving.

We used to live in caves. Now we live in houses.

That is why when the drifty sluggish driving came along in GTA IV I just used the taxi to get anywhere I wanted to go.

Aha, so you couldn´t figure out how the switch to turn the bulb on worked, so you went back to the cave.

I have to say that the driving in GTA V is the best driving physics yet for the series. If you deny that then you are a nutcase.

Look, tell us you like them better. Or that you can handle them unlike before. But don´t come up with that crap "they´re better". Physics engine and settings have as a target emulate real world laws of physics. That´s how you measure how good they are. If you think V´s vehicle physics are any close to real physics, then I´m not surprise you can´t figure out the switch for the bulb.

Shiggy
  • Shiggy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Grand Theft Auto's driving was always arcade-like. It was never meant to simulate real driving.

We used to live in caves. Now we live in houses.

That is why when the drifty sluggish driving came along in GTA IV I just used the taxi to get anywhere I wanted to go.

Aha, so you couldn´t figure out how the switch to turn the bulb on worked, so you went back to the cave.

I have to say that the driving in GTA V is the best driving physics yet for the series. If you deny that then you are a nutcase.

Look, tell us you like them better. Or that you can handle them unlike before. But don´t come up with that crap "they´re better". Physics engine and settings have as a target emulate real world laws of physics. That´s how you measure how good they are. If you think V´s vehicle physics are any close to real physics, then I´m not surprise you can´t figure out the switch for the bulb.

Except GTA isn't a f*cking driving simulator. You can pull a minigun out of your ass in this game and you're complaining that the driving in unrealistic. 

Also GTA IV's driving was not realistic at all, anybody who has actually driven a real car would realize that. A real car doesn't tilt at a 45 degree angle whenever you make a turn. The driving in GTA V is a hell of a lot better than IV.

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Derp... more realistic means it is less likely to explode dude. If it cars take longer to explode in V than IV then THAT is more realistic because CARS DON'T REALLY EXPLODE WHEN SHOT!!

Seems to me he was saying the damage in general was more realistic in IV, not only in regards to guns. If he was speaking only in regards to guns then you have a point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users