Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,233 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2284 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (906 votes [39.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.67%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (636 votes [27.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.85%

3. Indifferent (101 votes [4.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.42%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (268 votes [11.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.73%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (373 votes [16.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote
HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

R* ain't changing sh*t

Sad but true

Dam noobs got your way! There are simply more of you out there...

Us gta4 fans are the minority (everyone else been playing COD for the last 5 years)

so sad to see Rockstar catering to 18 and under crowd.

Word to moms against GTA to put a stop to this smutt!     LOL

It's a sad day when our entertainment is sold to the lowest grade of gamer out there today. Don't get me wrong overall its an amazing sandbox with nothing short of spectacular graphics. But still a step down from gta4 in the way that it feels more like a PS2 game. More so than the cutting edge entertainment we all love Rockstar for.

Dust off that ps2 and see for your self san andreas was a better game overall! How could this have happened?

Tumbling out of a car is very bad looking now. The character cannot rock climb even as good as gta4 (on foot or in cars). instant 100mph?!?  With a mountain like chiliad this feels like a deliberate troll from R*.

Come to think of it. It is just as bad of a troll as the spawn points are in gta4 or the (Asshol*) AI drivers of Liberty city.

What dose this all say about R* games?

Do they just hate the fans of gta? I fear they care more about $ales than they do putting out a good product? Golly gee did someone actually think this was a step forward from GTAiv, RDR or MidnightClub???

I feel scared and confused why is this happening to us?

What doesn't make sense about it to you friend?

The point of selling games is to make money right?

You know all an M rating means is parental guidence strongly suggested right?

this means up to 2/3 of games are sold to underage kids.

the other 5 million of us adults around 30% (1/3) are the minority

Look at both the sides of the debate on this forum.

I hardly see any real grown up gta fans saying they like the new gta.

mostly haters with nothing better to do than trying to draw people into a name calling argument.

oh shut the hell up. You act as if people who started with IV or prefer its driving over EVERY gta before and now after it are more entitled. f*ck you.

compelling point you make sir it shows your level of education on the matter.  

respectfully- HamSandwich

dodeca
  • dodeca

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:42 AM Edited by dodeca, 30 September 2013 - 05:42 AM.

oh shut the hell up. You act as if people who started with IV or prefer its driving over EVERY gta before and now after it are more entitled. f*ck you.

Theres a trick. If we crib and complain enough, rockstar will notice it, take pity on us injured fans, and grant us our wish. So shut the hell up about us shutting the hell up.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

FYI -  Counter steering is a technique that is used on motorcycles and vehicles that ride on tracks.  Drifting in a car is all about controlling oversteer and understeer and has nothing to do with counter steering.  Not all cars in real life can pull off drifting nor do they require it to make a fast turn. 

It is very possible to pull off drifting in GTA V with some vheicles but it behaves much differently than in IV.  If anything it's an improvement in the physics over IV and just takes getting used to.

I've seen some pretty sick videos of others driving in GTA V with more style than I've ever seen in any GTA IV gameplay.

JonVercetti
  • JonVercetti

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

The driving mechanics are alright, I just don't like how you can die so easily.

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

In IV the damage seemed scripted almost.  First you loose your headlights, then the hood pops off and the windows smash, and so on.  In V the damage seems more dynamic and depends on what you are doing.  I notice new ways that cars are damaged in V all the time however in 4 it was pretty much always the same.

Every car in IV felt like it was driving on ice plus suspension and braking physics seemed over exaggerated.  You don't need to slam on the breaks anymore when only driving 40mph and taking corners a little fast won't cause the suspension on your vehicle to go crazy.

Did you even play GTA IV? Or do you just not know what "scripted" means? The damage would show up nearly exactly where you hit things. You could slide your quarter panel into a pole and see the dent where it hit.

My only real issue with the damage in V is the inconsistency of it. There are times where I will get in a relatively low speed collision and wedge the bodywork into a tire so it won't turn anymore, and others where I will be driving nearly top speed and hit a car and end up with only some broken headlights, my hood popped and a broken window. Sometimes I will slide at high speed into a pole and the windows break out of the car, but I don't see any dent in the bodywork, then other times where I run over a rock in the desert at cruising speed and it bends the hell out of the front end of the car. Oh, and I find it annoying how your hood doesn't fly off when it is loose and you drive quickly though.

As for the "ice" complaints... no. You give up any credibility when you make stupid claims like that, it just makes you look like a child who doesn't even know or understand the basic laws of physics. Yes, some of the cars had a bit too much body roll, but there was nothing wrong with the grip that the cars had in IV.

Realistic? Mythbusters proved that you can not blow up a car by shooting it. They even did a best case scenario with tracers rounds and a half fill gas tank. It didn't even catch fire.

But then you go on to the second part. SMH, do you use logic at all?

He didn't say it was completely realistic, just that it was more realistic.

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

One more day to see if they fixed it :)

• HamSandwich likes this

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

FYI -  Counter steering is a technique that is used on motorcycles and vehicles that ride on tracks.  Drifting in a car is all about controlling oversteer and understeer and has nothing to do with counter steering.  .

So you are telling me that Counter Steering isn't a technique used in cars?  Have you ever heard of Over-Correction? 

Oh, and drifting has absolutely nothing to do with counter steer?  You are oblivious.  Maybe you should click this link...

http://driftjapan.co...al-to-drifting/

Without counter steering... have fun spinning out.

Sli
  • Sli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Vehicle damage was better in IV - Again I disagree. It was more convenient in that you could destroy cop cars much more easily in a chase, but then it also meant you could die more quickly too. It felt like only a few accidents or bullets and you car was done. Going back to my first point, I found this very frustrating. I would spend all thise extra time looking for a sport or super, only to have a few accidents and lose my car. Now I have to go out and find ANOTHER sport or super because I'm not about to drive around some POS SUV or sedan. And the way damage is done in V is much better than IV. In IV the car just took damage and that was it. In V you could lose a tire, blow yours trans or your suspension, and they can still be destroyed (I've had it happen). It makes damage much more dynamic. Lose a tire and it becomes more difficult to steer and keep control. Blow the trans and now you can't accelerate and get stuck at one speed. I even on time had the suspension destroyed and I could literally not make turns anymore. Car would just drive forward (and to the left because I also had no tire). It definitely makes running from the cops more challenging WITHOUT becoming a tedious chore. Not to mention, it makes chases more fun because you can shoot out someones tires and keep on them with ease.

With GTA IV on PC i changed the vehicle damage parameter to have more damage in a crash. Remember this was just changing 1 number !!! in a textfile and the damage just became UNREAL so nice did it look. The game had such a nice damage model (so maybe GTA 5 as well) but in the unmodded game it hardly showed. 

This video illustrates my point somewhat, remember that the Damage Mod does nothing but change one number for the amount of damage a car receives in one crash, the damage model and physics are already in the game itself.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OTkzAvRXBLo

I did the same thing, because I thought vanilla GTA IV didn't have enough damage! And here I see people saying cars were too easy to destroy lol.

But man whenever I watch a video like that it feels so weird because GTA IV had really good vehicle physics, cars reacted just like you'd expect. Then they went back in time for GTA V. =p

• Boxman108 likes this

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

OMG we hope GTAOnline is not so cheap feeling they need to fix it!

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

FYI -  Counter steering is a technique that is used on motorcycles and vehicles that ride on tracks.  Drifting in a car is all about controlling oversteer and understeer and has nothing to do with counter steering.  .

So you are telling me that Counter Steering isn't a technique used in cars?  Have you ever heard of Over-Correction? 

Oh, and drifting has absolutely nothing to do with counter steer?  You are oblivious.  Maybe you should click this link...

Counter steering is used in reference to drifting by people who don't have a solid grasp of the English language.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Did you even play GTA IV? Or do you just not know what "scripted" means? The damage would show up nearly exactly where you hit things. You could slide your quarter panel into a pole and see the dent where it hit.

My only real issue with the damage in V is the inconsistency of it. There are times where I will get in a relatively low speed collision and wedge the bodywork into a tire so it won't turn anymore, and others where I will be driving nearly top speed and hit a car and end up with only some broken headlights, my hood popped and a broken window. Sometimes I will slide at high speed into a pole and the windows break out of the car, but I don't see any dent in the bodywork, then other times where I run over a rock in the desert at cruising speed and it bends the hell out of the front end of the car. Oh, and I find it annoying how your hood doesn't fly off when it is loose and you drive quickly though.

As for the "ice" complaints... no. You give up any credibility when you make stupid claims like that, it just makes you look like a child who doesn't even know or understand the basic laws of physics. Yes, some of the cars had a bit too much body roll, but there was nothing wrong with the grip that the cars had in IV.

LOL there's no need to get childish and start insulting people.  I live in Canada so I know what driving on ice feels like and it's what cars felt like in GTA IV.

Almost every time I damaged a car in IV, the hood would come flying off which isn't all that realistic. The hood of a car does not fly off that easily.  I was using the word scripted to make a point.  I know the damage was dynamic as well but in IV but I feel it is more dynamic. The same thing doesn't happen every single time you get into a crash.  What you see as inconsistent, I see as an improvement.  I believe in V, more things are taken into account besides which part of the vehicle has been hit.  Things like speed at time of impact for both vehicles, direction each vehicle was going at impact and the physical attributes of each vehicle. Personally I think it works better than IV and is more realistic.  I feel as though they did make general driving abilities easier in V while at the same time they also made it more complex. People just need to get used to it.  I'm still on a learning curve with the driving in this game and learning new tricks each time I play it.

lucifloki
  • lucifloki

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:03 AM Edited by lucifloki, 30 September 2013 - 11:09 AM.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HwaV-3cVsqU

very very very bad physics. suck a d*ck who thinks otherwise. due to these morons, it may not fix on PC

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Realistic? Mythbusters proved that you can not blow up a car by shooting it. They even did a best case scenario with tracers rounds and a half fill gas tank. It didn't even catch fire.

But then you go on to the second part. SMH, do you use logic at all?

Yes realistic, and shooting a car in real life is highly unlikely to blow up, but like I said, thats when realism is dubbed out to make the game an actually game. Just like you can hold several weapons, the gun sounds and how they were designed looks is the realistic part, holding 5 weapons is the game. 

Getting shot, you see blood stains. Realistic part

Getting shot multiple times. Game part

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Actually if you let off of the gas and move the analog stick a certain direction on GTA IV, you can stabilize it in mid air, it's just not as easy. Also if you jump off of a ramp on GTA IV and turn the analog stick any direction, you can do a front flip, back flip, roll and etc.

To be honest I don´t know about 150 yards jumps for stunt purposes. I wasn´t into that at all.

All I can tell you is that in GTA 4 (without mods, and with cars) you can´t change the momentum in the air if you get airborne at a bad angle for racing purposes (small lenght and height jump). So let´s say you crest in the middle of a corner, your car gets unsettled and rotates a bit during the 4 meters (lenght) you spend in the air, there´s no way to get that corrected until you land.

Now you can do it. It happened a lot of times to me in the Vinewood area, I got a small jump wrong turning to avoid stopped cars just before cresting, the way I take off is a guaranteed wreck, but you can turn the stick, stop that momentum, and land perfectly flat.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

I just get more and more frustrated with 5´s handling as I progress and get the best vehicles. Cheetah and Entity FX were supposed to be fun, they´re just horrible to drive. There´s nothing happening in these cars while you corner. You never lose the rear, you barely ever understeer unless you´re WAAAAY too fast into a corner. Even in the twisty country roads they give no satisfaction at all. 

• DrAnomalous, Piramic and Boxman108 like this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

I just get more and more frustrated with 5´s handling as I progress and get the best vehicles. Cheetah and Entity FX were supposed to be fun, they´re just horrible to drive. There´s nothing happening in these cars while you corner. You never lose the rear, you barely ever understeer unless you´re WAAAAY too fast into a corner. Even in the twisty country roads they give no satisfaction at all. 

Yuuuuup. R* has managed to suck the joy straight out of driving. Now I don't want to drive for fun anymore unless slidey cars in on, and even then it's not as fun.

I customized 4 cars for Michael's Vinewood garage (Vigero, Gauntlet, Surrano, and Futo), but I don't want to drive them. They're so boring to drive.

I can't believe people prefer these physics. SA was better than this. Just Cause 2 was better than this (high-end cars in JC2 were twitchy and really easy to lose control of if you weren't good at steering).

I think GTA is too mainstream for it's own good. The game has to appeal to the dudebros who'll play it for 3 months and then shelve it forever.
  • DrAnomalous and Boxman108 like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

R* has managed to suck the joy straight out of driving.

Damn right. If the handling hadn´t been changed I could be driving without a particular destination forever, with this world it would never get boring. I barely ever got a Taxi in GTA4, I find myself getting a taxi really often for long trips.

Moving from A to B went from being a pleasure to be an annoyance.

R* has managed to suck the joy straight out of driving.

• Boxman108 likes this

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

3srjum.jpg

Sli
  • Sli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Didn't you hear man? If you have cars that require even just a bit of finesse to drive properly the game is just not fun. Having cars stuck to the road is the way to go, all in the name of fun. Or so I hear.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Fun, better, best... wtf-ever. Even "realistic" is irrelevant. It's about the complexity of the game's laws of motion (which are complex and consistent) and the vehicle's interaction with these laws (which is complex but NOT consistent).

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Counter steering is used in reference to drifting by people who don't have a solid grasp of the English language.

You are an idiot. Do you know how you correct oversteer? By counter steering.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

You are an idiot. Do you know how you correct oversteer? By counter steering.

No you are because you don't know what counter steering actually means.  It's OK because most people use the term incorrectly.

Counter steering is turning slightly in the opposite direction of a turn before taking that turn.  It's a useless technique when driving a car.

To correct oversteer you need to control the angle of the vehicle through steering and managing the throttle.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

No you are because you don't know what counter steering actually means.  It's OK because most people use the term incorrectly.

Counter steering is turning slightly in the opposite direction of a turn before taking that turn.  It's a useless technique when driving a car.

To correct oversteer you need to control the angle of the vehicle through steering and managing the throttle.

You have NO CLUE.

1) Countersteer is just to apply opposite lock when the rear wheels lose grip.

2) Turning slightly in the opposite direction of a turn before taking it is a common and useful practice. It gives you a better line through a corner, a much more straight run through it. That´s why hairpins on mountain roads usually have a small kink in the other direction right before them. You always want to be as far right as possible into a lefthander and viceversa.

3) Correcting oversteer through steering is EXACTLY what countersteer means.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

You have NO CLUE.

1) Countersteer is just to apply opposite lock when the rear wheels lose grip.

2) Turning slightly in the opposite direction of a turn before taking it is a common and useful practice. It gives you a better line through a corner, a much more straight run through it. That´s why hairpins on mountain roads usually have a small kink in the other direction right before them. You always want to be as far right as possible into a lefthander and viceversa.

3) Correcting oversteer through steering is EXACTLY what countersteer means.

1) That is not what counter steering really is. Also, managing the throttle is more important when it comes to correcting oversteer.

2) I think you are referring to taking a turn wide which is also not counter steering.  In a vehicle with 4 wheels, counter steering would likely cause you to spin out.  You can't lean into a turn with a car like you can on a bike.

3)This is getting repetitive

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

1. countersteer is just that countersteer steer the opposite the way car needs to guy. go to a dirt track race or watch cars.

2. straigthening the curve is what your trying to say. go from the outside to the inside and back to the outside to take the curver at a higher speed.

3. very ............but look at this thread :sui:

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

your very right about the throttle control. in most rwds car you can pretty much let go of the wheel and let off the gas it will straighten out.

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

Its a shame we can't enter the slidey cars cheat in GTA Online... well I doubt it

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

1) That is not what counter steering really is. Also, managing the throttle is more important when it comes to correcting oversteer.

2) I think you are referring to taking a turn wide which is also not counter steering.  In a vehicle with 4 wheels, counter steering would likely cause you to spin out.  You can't lean into a turn with a car like you can on a bike.

3)This is getting repetitive

I´m even amazed I´m bothering to discuss this with you.

1) That´s exactly what countersteer is. And yes, for once you got something right, managing the throttle is just as important. Let it go too much and the weight going to the front won´t help you. Push it too much and you will add wheelspin to the lateral slide, which will reduce your rear grip even further.

2) Most of what you said doesn´t make any sense mate. Whatever you´re riding, getting as wide line as possible is helpful. Turning right just before a lefthander is part of that process. Not only positioning counts, where the nose is pointing also helps. You don´t only want to be as far right as possible into a left hander, you also want your nose pointing a bit towards the right before a left hander. That´s where what you wrongly call "countersteer" helps.

3) Yes. I don´t have time to show you the ABC of car dynamics. Go watch some motorsport.

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

1.Car people thing counter steering is corrective steering during a slide. Motorcycle people know that counter steering is the act of a slight steering input in the opposite direction of a corner to initiate the lean into said turn. Most people ride a motorcycle and don't even realize they are doing it.

2. You mean taking a decent line through a corner? That doesn't require any steering or repositioning before the corner, unless you came out of the previous corner with a crappy line...

3. Indeed...

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

1.Car people thing counter steering is corrective steering during a slide. Motorcycle people know that counter steering is the act of a slight steering input in the opposite direction of a corner to initiate the lean into said turn. Most people ride a motorcycle and don't even realize they are doing it.

f*ck I´m road cyclist and I didn´t even know someone called that practice countersteer at all. So it´s both things then!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users