Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

3,203 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2056 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (824 votes [40.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.08%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (569 votes [27.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.68%

3. Indifferent (90 votes [4.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (236 votes [11.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (337 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote
namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

How's this for inconsistency...

In one of Trevor's first missions. he pushes a trailer home into the river with his SUV. Driving back from the mission, the SUV hits a Mini car head-on and comes to a sudden halt - no momentum, inertia or any laws of physics. What makes matters worse is that the SUV can't even push the Mini out of the way because it seems to weigh 1000 tons and set in concrete. R* haven't rewritten the laws of physics in the game, they've bypassed them entirely.

the_suicide_fox
  • the_suicide_fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Vehicle damage was better in IV - Again I disagree. It was more convenient in that you could destroy cop cars much more easily in a chase, but then it also meant you could die more quickly too. It felt like only a few accidents or bullets and you car was done. Going back to my first point, I found this very frustrating. I would spend all thise extra time looking for a sport or super, only to have a few accidents and lose my car. Now I have to go out and find ANOTHER sport or super because I'm not about to drive around some POS SUV or sedan. And the way damage is done in V is much better than IV. In IV the car just took damage and that was it. In V you could lose a tire, blow yours trans or your suspension, and they can still be destroyed (I've had it happen). It makes damage much more dynamic. Lose a tire and it becomes more difficult to steer and keep control. Blow the trans and now you can't accelerate and get stuck at one speed. I even on time had the suspension destroyed and I could literally not make turns anymore. Car would just drive forward (and to the left because I also had no tire). It definitely makes running from the cops more challenging WITHOUT becoming a tedious chore. Not to mention, it makes chases more fun because you can shoot out someones tires and keep on them with ease.

I agree that the damage in V is way better than IV was in the way that wheels, bumpers, and other parts can come off. But the amount of things you have to do to get it damaged is ridiculous. It makes it more fun and interesting trying to run from the cops or getting from point a to point b without completely demolishing your car when it's easier to damage.

Air Control - I love this feature in V. One thing that bugged me in IV was that you lost complete control in the air. Yea, it's more realistic but sometimes I find myself going airborne over the shortest hills, or hitting some random polygon that launches me a few feet up. Now I'm at the mercy of the physics engine. Especially annoying doing stunt jumps, as if you missed the jump by a micron you would go all crazy in the air. Throw in the way damage worked in IV and it just meant I either died or lost my precious super because of a minor miscalculation. Also, the vehicle flipping in V is great. If I somehow managed to crash my precious super, or miss that stunt jump by a micron and still land upside down, I can at least salvage my vehicle, repair, and try again. If I spent a ton of time and money finding and upgrading a fun car I don't want to lose it nilly willy to some random pixelated water bottle that threw my jump all out of whack.

Have you literally not played GTA IV at all? If you did you would know you can control your car in mid air, and it's better than the way it's controlled on GTA V. The only reason the Air Control on V is better is due to the fact when you start turning the yaw of the vehicle on it's axis the camera doesn't spin like on IV. But yeah, you have complete control of your car while in air on GTA IV as well, and it was also on GTA San Andreas. I guess you were just too blind to notice it.

Flying - Choppers and planes are definitely more difficult to drive in V, but I found that the flying stat really makes a huge difference. Flying as Trevor, who naturally has 4 bars for flying IIRC, is much MUCH easier than flying as Franklin, who starts at a pitiful 1 bar. It's like night and day. But even playing as Trevor it's a bit trickier to come to a full stop and just hover. In IV it felt better, so this is probably the one thing I felt R* messed up. I mean, I can understand my troubles with Franklin, but Trevor (who now has full bar) should be able to easily stop on a floating dime and not be all tipsy. However it's not drastic, so I can deal with it.

I agree that IV felt better flying choppers too, because now on GTA V when you try to fly the buzzard, for example, it's almost impossible now to aim with machine guns and shoot people on the ground or in a vehicle. I can usually hit most things with them, but it's much more of a pain now due to the headwinds and other things affecting the chopper. I've been piloting on IV since 2009 and I can hit almost anything with my Buzzard or Annihilator on IV, but now even though I can still aim decently with V's chopper, it will be impossible for people who just started on V to master the machine gun on the heli and get good at it. I really don't see why they made driving much easier and heli flying so odd and difficult. Also another thing with the heli is I don't think the propellers can really break unless the heli blows up, and the back tail doesn't seem to break either. I'm not sure yet if it can, but what I've tried so far neither have came off in flight.

Motorcycles - I hated motorcycles in IV. One of the main reasons I didn't purchase the Lost and Damned DLC. It was just the frustration of steering combined with the fragility of the vehicle, and add in the fact that you have no air control and motorcycles become the most pain in the ass vehicle to drive in IV. Again, you could argue it's more challenging, but there's a difference between a challenge and a frustration. Challenge is fun, frustration is not. A challenge is stuff like landing on a moving train with a motorcycle (like the one mission you do) or racing around the city at high speeds STILL with a huge risk of crashing catastrophically if you don't dodge every car and light pole in your way. Frustration is slowing down significantly over speed bumps, wiping out and taking damage/dying when trying to make a not-so-sharp turn, fishtailing on a straight away at high speed all because you didn't want to hit the SUV you were trying to pass. 

How was it frustrating? It really isn't. I could drive just fine at high speeds and hitting ramps, jumps, or bumps with a motorcycle was much more enjoyable. Also doing flips were way more better and fun too. Now on V when doing a flip with any bike or using air control in a car, it takes forever for the vehicle to do a flip. If they're upright they can lean forward and backward pretty fast, but the moment when you go upside down, it takes an hour to make it do a flip. I don't get why they did that. And again, Air Control was in GTA IV.

I just don't like that cars were destroyed so easily. You shoot a car with a SMG in a clip or 2 it would blow up. Cars in GTA V can take the damage, but it shows more dynamically in other ways as I explained. And I think it's good that you don't wreck as much, so then if I need to get from point A to point B I don't need to take 3 cars to do it if I'm being chased or driving poorly or whatever the case may be. If I'm trying to get somewhere it's usually to do something like a mission or collect something and I don't want to waste time. I just want to get where I want to go.

In regards to air control, I wasn't "blind". As I said to the other guy I haven't played IV in over a year. But still, the air control I remember being very finicky. If you went off something without a lot of spin or momentum other than forward you had good control, but no where near the level in V. In V you could go off a ramp and naturally start flipping forward only to hold back and not only counter the forward roll but actually start rolling backwards I don't ever remember it being like that in IV. The game's physics were more pronounced and it was harder. Point being, a lot of people were complaining about it and I just think it's a good thing to have in this game, especially considering that you can pay a lot of money to buy/upgrade a vehicle and you don't want to lose it because you landed a little wonky.

I noticed the choppers are more durable, so that I like. When doing the mission where Trevor is flying a chopper to scope out the security for the FIB building as I flew towards the construction site my tail hit some telephone wires. In IV that would have been the end of me and my chopper but in V it just bounced off and messed me up a bit but I didn't crash. Took pretty good damage because after that it was tough to stay in a straight line, but at least I didn't have to restart the mission.

If you like the motorcycles in IV then bravo, but I didn't. Like I said air control wasn't as good, plus motorcycles in IV were very touchy. I feel like the ones in V are much more responsive and precise and therefore it is more fun because I don't feel the urge to just ditch the bike and find a car. And honestly, I rarely find myself ditching a vehicle in this game because it's not fun to drive, whereas I would do that quite often in IV. Only vehicles I don't like are buses, moving trucks (eg. the small cargo trucks), and to a lesser extent the ATV (because it's so touchy, much like motorcyles in IV).

It's my opinion, which R* obviously shares or else they wouldn't have made the game this way. Everything is more refined and streamlined, and as such more enjoyable for more people. If you liked the way it was in IV, again, I suggest you just go play IV because I doubt they will really change anything at this point. Doing some missions with IV's mechanics would prove to be a nightmare. They would have to overhaul a lot of other things just to make changes the minority are asking for.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:19 PM Edited by Aragrox, 29 September 2013 - 11:41 PM.

All my experience from gta 4 has been crushed. I dont see my skills necessary in gta 5 because every prerequisite they have already been unlocked.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

Motorcycles - I hated motorcycles in IV. One of the main reasons I didn't purchase the Lost and Damned DLC. It was just the frustration of steering combined with the fragility of the vehicle, and add in the fact that you have no air control and motorcycles become the most pain in the ass vehicle to drive in IV. Again, you could argue it's more challenging, but there's a difference between a challenge and a frustration. Challenge is fun, frustration is not. A challenge is stuff like landing on a moving train with a motorcycle (like the one mission you do) or racing around the city at high speeds STILL with a huge risk of crashing catastrophically if you don't dodge every car and light pole in your way. Frustration is slowing down significantly over speed bumps, wiping out and taking damage/dying when trying to make a not-so-sharp turn, fishtailing on a straight away at high speed all because you didn't want to hit the SUV you were trying to pass.

It's a shame you didn't play TLaD. R* improved the motorcycle handling in it considerably. Each type of motorcycle had it's unique performance and handling, that it made them more of a joy to ride than in the main game - they didn't slide around so much. I was rather concerned about TLaD initially because I avoided the bikes as much as possible in IV, but I needn't have been, they were a lot more fun.

The motorbikes in V are an abomination, they all handle as though you have training wheels/stabilisers on them and they take 90' bends with bearely leaning into them - same as the bicycles in the game. The bicycles handled a whole hell of a lot better in GTA: SA than they do in V.

• GúnZinEss and FasterThanYou like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Clarification: THIS type of air control wasn´t in GTA 4.

In GTA 5, if you take off and the car states rotating in the air, you can correct that rotation moving a stick even if your car is not even touching the ground and should be just a victim of the inertia until it landed. It applies to anything with wheels.

In GTA 4, if you take off you can still make inputs (turn the wheel, brake, accelerate) but obviosly it won´t have any effect since your wheels aren´t tuching the ground. Only in vehicles where you could shift weight with your body (like bikes) you can change the momentum you got after taking off (like shifting weight backwards to perform a backflip).

So, if in GTA 4 you crested in a car over a hill in a wrong way, and your car starts rotating, you´ll land sideways and will have to work to keep it pointing forward once you land. In GTA 5 if you crest over a hill and your car starts moving sideways, you can correct that in the air by rotating your car.

Not a big issue, I just release the stick and don´t use it. But that´s how it goes.

GúnZinEss
  • GúnZinEss

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:10 PM Edited by GúnZinEss, 29 September 2013 - 11:12 PM.

I just don't like that cars were destroyed so easily. You shoot a car with a SMG in a clip or 2 it would blow up. Cars in GTA V can take the damage, but it shows more dynamically in other ways as I explained. And I think it's good that you don't wreck as much, so then if I need to get from point A to point B I don't need to take 3 cars to do it if I'm being chased or driving poorly or whatever the case may be. If I'm trying to get somewhere it's usually to do something like a mission or collect something and I don't want to waste time. I just want to get where I want to go.

In regards to air control, I wasn't "blind". As I said to the other guy I haven't played IV in over a year. But still, the air control I remember being very finicky. If you went off something without a lot of spin or momentum other than forward you had good control, but no where near the level in V. In V you could go off a ramp and naturally start flipping forward only to hold back and not only counter the forward roll but actually start rolling backwards I don't ever remember it being like that in IV. The game's physics were more pronounced and it was harder. Point being, a lot of people were complaining about it and I just think it's a good thing to have in this game, especially considering that you can pay a lot of money to buy/upgrade a vehicle and you don't want to lose it because you landed a little wonky.

If you like the motorcycles in IV then bravo, but I didn't. Like I said air control wasn't as good, plus motorcycles in IV were very touchy. I feel like the ones in V are much more responsive and precise and therefore it is more fun because I don't feel the urge to just ditch the bike and find a car. And honestly, I rarely find myself ditching a vehicle in this game because it's not fun to drive, whereas I would do that quite often in IV. Only vehicles I don't like are buses, moving trucks (eg. the small cargo trucks), and to a lesser extent the ATV (because it's so touchy, much like motorcyles in IV).

It really seems that you never played GTAIV, or just a little little bit.

Cars in GTAIV are not easily destroyable (easy to blow up i mean), not even by gunshots, you can really use them as cover in drug wars/gang wars since most of the shots goes to the chassis, and that doesnt make them explode.

In other words, if you dont shot at the engine or at the fuel tank at the top of the rear wheels, it wont blow up! so cars can take a massive amount of gunfire sometimes, and not to mention the armored trucks like the brickade or the enforcer.

also, i think you are exagerating at the fact that you must take like 2 or 3 vehicles to get to a certain place while being chased by the police. i mean, with a decent amount of experience (and im not exactly saying to be a pro racer) you can easily lost them before the car gets to smoke to much.

but yeah, you might need more than 1 vehicle if you run out of luck at 5 or 6 stars, which is basically reasonable, other than that, its hard for that to happen i believe.

And about the motorbikes, i think it was the harderst kind of vehicle to master in GTAIV, so i could agree with you to an extent. still, it was very fun to drive them once you got the trick, I think R* should have taken the handling from TLAD, and maybe tweak it a little bit, i think it was spot on with most of the bikes.

For the record, i didnt play GTAV, im waiting for the PC version, but from what i have seen, i didnt like the vehicle handling, and i know i will hate it once i get to drive a vehicles, but its only a matter of time to be sure.

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

R* ain't changing sh*t

drjonkoe
  • drjonkoe

GTA veteran

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:36 PM Edited by drjonkoe, 29 September 2013 - 11:37 PM.

Vehicle damage was better in IV - Again I disagree. It was more convenient in that you could destroy cop cars much more easily in a chase, but then it also meant you could die more quickly too. It felt like only a few accidents or bullets and you car was done. Going back to my first point, I found this very frustrating. I would spend all thise extra time looking for a sport or super, only to have a few accidents and lose my car. Now I have to go out and find ANOTHER sport or super because I'm not about to drive around some POS SUV or sedan. And the way damage is done in V is much better than IV. In IV the car just took damage and that was it. In V you could lose a tire, blow yours trans or your suspension, and they can still be destroyed (I've had it happen). It makes damage much more dynamic. Lose a tire and it becomes more difficult to steer and keep control. Blow the trans and now you can't accelerate and get stuck at one speed. I even on time had the suspension destroyed and I could literally not make turns anymore. Car would just drive forward (and to the left because I also had no tire). It definitely makes running from the cops more challenging WITHOUT becoming a tedious chore. Not to mention, it makes chases more fun because you can shoot out someones tires and keep on them with ease.

With GTA IV on PC i changed the vehicle damage parameter to have more damage in a crash. Remember this was just changing 1 number !!! in a textfile and the damage just became UNREAL so nice did it look. The game had such a nice damage model (so maybe GTA 5 as well) but in the unmodded game it hardly showed. 

This video illustrates my point somewhat, remember that the Damage Mod does nothing but change one number for the amount of damage a car receives in one crash, the damage model and physics are already in the game itself.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OTkzAvRXBLo

• HamSandwich likes this

_apache
  • _apache

The Perfect Shot

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

The driving in IV was good, but I love the driving in V. It just feels nicer, more controlled. Some people may not like that you have so much control in midair, but remember that it is just a game. There's still something satisfying about landing on all 4s after a jump.

drjonkoe
  • drjonkoe

GTA veteran

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

The driving in IV was good, but I love the driving in V. It just feels nicer, more controlled. Some people may not like that you have so much control in midair, but remember that it is just a game. There's still something satisfying about landing on all 4s after a jump.

Since I manage to land on all 4s every single time i make a jump, it somewhat takes the fun out of doing it. In IV you always had to hope that once it started rolling you could get it corrected once it landed. Having to abandon the vehicle always caused the most chaotic situations, running and gunning while trying to steal another vehicle. I miss that since I rarely have to do this in V

• HamSandwich likes this

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:21 AM

Clarification: THIS type of air control wasn´t in GTA 4.

In GTA 5, if you take off and the car states rotating in the air, you can correct that rotation moving a stick even if your car is not even touching the ground and should be just a victim of the inertia until it landed. It applies to anything with wheels.

In GTA 4, if you take off you can still make inputs (turn the wheel, brake, accelerate) but obviosly it won´t have any effect since your wheels aren´t tuching the ground. Only in vehicles where you could shift weight with your body (like bikes) you can change the momentum you got after taking off (like shifting weight backwards to perform a backflip).

So, if in GTA 4 you crested in a car over a hill in a wrong way, and your car starts rotating, you´ll land sideways and will have to work to keep it pointing forward once you land. In GTA 5 if you crest over a hill and your car starts moving sideways, you can correct that in the air by rotating your car.

Not a big issue, I just release the stick and don´t use it. But that´s how it goes.

Actually if you let off of the gas and move the analog stick a certain direction on GTA IV, you can stabilize it in mid air, it's just not as easy. Also if you jump off of a ramp on GTA IV and turn the analog stick any direction, you can do a front flip, back flip, roll and etc. Not many people know about that though. And when I said suicide fox was too blind to notice that in the game, I was just saying that because he should have researched more before he said air control wasn't in GTA IV. But it is in the game, and it's been in it since GTA San Andreas. As a stunter on GTA, I use it like crazy on IV so you can make your car hit a bump or ledge right after jumping through the air. It's really useful on there. I still don't understand on V why your cars momentum starts slowing down after your car turns upside down. For example, if I go and hit a huge jump on V and start pushing forward or backward, the car starts spinning fast when beginning a flip, but then when it starts going upside down it slows the whole car down for some reason. I don't understand why.

drjonkoe
  • drjonkoe

GTA veteran

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:33 AM Edited by drjonkoe, 30 September 2013 - 12:35 AM.

For example, if I go and hit a huge jump on V and start pushing forward or backward, the car starts spinning fast when beginning a flip, but then when it starts going upside down it slows the whole car down for some reason. I don't understand why.

Because it is harder to make the car turn when you are upside down sitting in it, everything is harder doing it upside down  :pp. But really, i havent noticed that one yet, im going to try that out. It isnt some optical illusion that it just seems like its going slower?

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

R* ain't changing sh*t

Sad but true

Dam noobs got your way! There are simply more of you out there...

Us gta4 fans are the minority (everyone else been playing COD for the last 5 years)

so sad to see Rockstar catering to 18 and under crowd.

Word to moms against GTA to put a stop to this smutt!     LOL

It's a sad day when our entertainment is sold to the lowest grade of gamer out there today. Don't get me wrong overall its an amazing sandbox with nothing short of spectacular graphics. But still a step down from gta4 in the way that it feels more like a PS2 game. More so than the cutting edge entertainment we all love Rockstar for.

Dust off that ps2 and see for your self san andreas was a better game overall! How could this have happened?

Tumbling out of a car is very bad looking now. The character cannot rock climb even as good as gta4 (on foot or in cars). instant 100mph?!?  With a mountain like chiliad this feels like a deliberate troll from R*.

Come to think of it. It is just as bad of a troll as the spawn points are in gta4 or the (Asshol*) AI drivers of Liberty city.

What dose this all say about R* games?

Do they just hate the fans of gta? I fear they care more about $ales than they do putting out a good product? Golly gee did someone actually think this was a step forward from GTAiv, RDR or MidnightClub???

I feel scared and confused why is this happening to us?

• drjonkoe likes this

drjonkoe
  • drjonkoe

GTA veteran

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

I think you just did a good job explaing the anwser to your question  :/

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

R* ain't changing sh*t

Actually, Rockstar has set up an e-mail address for when GTA Online starts. They've said there will be a lot of tweaks in the coming weeks (though, honestly, it will be months or years lol). They've clearly stated that they want as much feedback as possible, and this includes any tweaks to gunplay, driving, mission requests, extras, etc. So you can't say that they won't be adding an option to use IV's mechanics in GTA Online , even if it takes a few months. Since the petitions going around have already reached a high number of signatures, that will at least show Rockstar that they might want to consider it. After that, each signature really represents a lot more than just the person who signed it. A lot of people won't even know it exists. And, in case you haven't noticed, Rockstar has already designed much of what would need to be done to make the handling like IV via the Sticky Cars cheat. So all they'd really have to do is stick it in multiplayer as an option and tweak it a little.

My two favorite things in IV's multiplayer are the heli and dropping grenades as I'm driving by a person, vehicle, task, etc. I already know that I won't be able to do ANY of the helicopter tricks I learned in IV. You can't flip vehicles or even lose your blades. Which means that heli fights -- which were popular among many Mafiya Work players such as myself -- are now non-existant. Which really sucks, because I was looking forward to having those kinds of fights between a number of different types of helicopters. But now the two opponents would simply blow up. As for grenades, now they just click when they're about to explode instead of the louder, faster beeping. So timing is much more difficult, at least so far. And I don't think they have as much of a blast radius. But I won't know for sure until I play online for a bit.

I've heard a number of people saying "just go back to IV." And, honestly, I've seen many of my friends do exactly that after only a week of playing. But that kind of attitude is bad for three reasons ... 1) We've put five years into GTA IV when others have not, so we would love to be able to enjoy V just as much, and it's just this one little thing that is keeping us from doing so (though, yes, I actually DO enjoy it ... it just could have been so much better) ... 2) Rockstar wants as many people to play GTA Online as possible. If even 15-20% of people abandon it because of something as simple as driving, that's not a good thing ... and 3) at some point, GTA IV's multiplayer will surely be shut down. They can't keep it running forever.

Anyway ... elmo, you seem to be a very negative person. I don't really know why you're arguing against adding an option or just letting people complain. GTA V is great, but it DOES have a lot of problems. Rockstar clearly shortchanged a number of elements, such as the heists. So what if we want to complain about it a little? Many of us are the guys who want to stick around for the NEXT five years, while you'll probably play GTA Online for a month or so and then go back to Angry Birds or whatever. So just let us vent and chill out, please.

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

Although they completely kowtowed to the noobs who can't drive, I've realized that what bothers me even more than the driving is the flying of the helicopter. I spent a good six months learning how to utilize the helicopter ... not just flying, but killing people, causing task failures in Mafiya Work, and now to land quickly and precisely ... and how to take down other helis. I'm going to be changing to a different YouTube channel at some point, but you can see what I used to be able to do here ... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7-JigvjDkZ4.

Today, I finally decided to test the helicopter and see what I could do. The flying is annoying as hell, which I already knew ... despite making driving so much easier, they decided to make the heli much harder ... it constantly weaves from the air currents, which makes an already difficult vehicle to master nearly impossible. But now I've realized that they took away the ability to do everything else that I enjoyed doing. You can't clip people ... you can't flip vehicles ... and the blades no longer break ... now if you grind the blades, your heli simply explodes. In other words, they made the heli SO realistic, that they completely took away all of the fun.

I was really looking forward to fighting a group of helis in multiplayer, because we'd had different types of helis to choose from ... or terrorizing people on the ground because if they got out of their car on the top of a mountain, I'd clip them with my blades. But now the heli is nothing but transportation ... and it's not even very good at that.

Honestly, I'd be okay with them keeping the stupid-easy driving mechanics if they fixed the heli so that those of us who love flying could continue to do so.

GTA:SA, GTA: Vice City and GTA: III all had excellent driving and flying mechanics and controls.

Why they changed it in GTA: IV is beyond me (except the part about the enhanced physics, that part I understand where they were going, but agree with those who didn't like it that it was too bouncy, etc).

The only thing GTA ever got wrong,(Before GTA:IV) is the over the shoulder view. It sucks, it's always sucked, it always will suck.

I actually don't remember what it felt like to fly helicopters in Vice City or San Andreas, but I'm almost positive that you couldn't really flip vehicles or kill people with the blades ... or that the blades or tail would come off. I love how someone can take off my tail in IV and if I'm careful, I can still fight them a bit and might even be able to carefully land on health so that I didn't lose the heli. 

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

GTA is not a game that is just for car enthusiast, it never was.   That makes no since to expect Rockstar to cater to only one group of people. The driving in gta plays a heavy role, so it shouldn't be enjoyable for just a few gamers and hated by the rest. 

A game does not need to be "realistic" to be of good quality. It needs to be fun. I find V fun, so In my opinion it's a great quality game. To say otherwise is your opinion on what standards you hold games to. But your standard is not the golden one. 

You can find my opinion to be ridiculous  I find it ridiculous that you liked the buttery cars in gtaiv. Driving down the roads of liberty city and turning should not result in a spin out damn near everytime no matter the speed you are going. 

GTA is also not a game for shooting game enthusiasts, should we just have auto aim be the only available option so that it's easier for the people who aren't into shooters? It's also not a game for flight enthusiasts, should they simplify the flight mechanics? Following that logic, everything would be watered down to cater to the group who isn't good at/into that kind of thing.

I don't think the game should have hyper-realistic driving mechanics, just an evolution of what we had in GTA IV. It was already a major step forward from a technical standpoint, but it needed refinement. With that refinement, it could have been made more forgiving for people who couldn't handle it in IV, but also kept its depth and diversity for those who do enjoy the driving.

That last sentence you wrote either shows that you are exaggerating greatly in an attempt to validate your standpoint, or that you are really horrible at GTA IV driving to a point where one has to question your ability to understand basic physics and learn from your own mistakes. If the latter is the case, then one would also have to question your ability to comprehend basic things and wonder whether or not you should even be allowed to speak about something that you clearly have no clue about. I don't think you are that stupid, so why do you need to use such hyperbole?

I agree with what Morbid says here at the end. I never had a problem going around corners without spinning out or flipping over. If Zinthaniel was really doing this almost on every corner, perhaps a game where you drive so much shouldn't be something he's playing. Heck, I sucked at IV's driving at first, and I still didn't flip cars so easily. lol

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

I get a feeling that most people complaining about GTA 4 driving being like driving on ice and stuff probably played on PC with a keyboard or the classic controls where the face buttons are mapped to throttle and brake. Burnouts at the start or sliding during turns only happen when you give full throttle(or a lot of throttle atleast). On keyboard, its either fulll throttle or no throttle. You cant control the amount of trhottle and brake. Same with the face buttons except on the PS3 but I doubt many people make use of the pressure sensitivity of the PS3 face buttons.

I mostly played GTA4 on PC and disliked the driving to an extent when I used to play on the keyboard. I loved it with a gamepad though.

I must be a rare case, because I'm played with classic controls on the PS3 for the last five years, and I never had a problem. I greatly preferred those controls over the L2/R2 brake and accelerator ... and yes, I used the pressure sensitive face buttons quite well.

the_suicide_fox
  • the_suicide_fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:03 AM Edited by the_suicide_fox, 30 September 2013 - 02:05 AM.

It really seems that you never played GTAIV, or just a little little bit.

Cars in GTAIV are not easily destroyable (easy to blow up i mean), not even by gunshots, you can really use them as cover in drug wars/gang wars since most of the shots goes to the chassis, and that doesnt make them explode.

In other words, if you dont shot at the engine or at the fuel tank at the top of the rear wheels, it wont blow up! so cars can take a massive amount of gunfire sometimes, and not to mention the armored trucks like the brickade or the enforcer.

also, i think you are exagerating at the fact that you must take like 2 or 3 vehicles to get to a certain place while being chased by the police. i mean, with a decent amount of experience (and im not exactly saying to be a pro racer) you can easily lost them before the car gets to smoke to much.

but yeah, you might need more than 1 vehicle if you run out of luck at 5 or 6 stars, which is basically reasonable, other than that, its hard for that to happen i believe.

And about the motorbikes, i think it was the harderst kind of vehicle to master in GTAIV, so i could agree with you to an extent. still, it was very fun to drive them once you got the trick, I think R* should have taken the handling from TLAD, and maybe tweak it a little bit, i think it was spot on with most of the bikes.

For the record, i didnt play GTAV, im waiting for the PC version, but from what i have seen, i didnt like the vehicle handling, and i know i will hate it once i get to drive a vehicles, but its only a matter of time to be sure.

Actually I played the entire game and got something like 80-90% before moving on to other games. Don't assume things like that. I could argue that you haven't played V much if only a bit based on your assumptions, but I don't because it's just a shallow statement meant to degrade your view of the game. (However you even say at the end you don't play it, so what weight about V does your opinion really carry?)

Vehicles were much easier to destroy in IV compared to V was my point. Yet even then, you can destroy vehicles or make the unusable. People on your end seem to think that the cars in V are tanks which is simply not true and that's why I exaggerated a bit saying 2 SMG clips. Of course you can use them as cover, but regardless you could more easily destroy a car by simply shooting it and it will blow up. In V they don't blow up as much, but take out the tires or the trans and it's just as bad. However, I would rather the damage system in V because at the very least I can salvage my car if I wanted to put up with crappy driving until I found a shop. In IV there was little to no dynamic damage, cars would just catch fire and blow up at a certain point. When that happens, you lost your car, which is very upsetting if you spent time/money for it.

Needing to take 3 cars to get somewhere was also exaggerated so I could make my point. It never really happened like that unless I had 4+ stars, but my point there was I don't give a sh*t about details. I just want something to go from A to B. I don't want to spend a ton of time passing up crappy vehicles so I can eventually find something I would like to drive, and then end up losing said vehicle to some sort of BS. I want something fun to drive right then so I can get to where I want and enjoy doing it. Or else I will call a cab, something I did often in IV if I didn't have a super or sport car (which I still do in V if my destination is crazy far, but it's not nearly as often). 

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:16 AM Edited by Agni, 30 September 2013 - 02:16 AM.

The cars in V are tanks. They're not utterly indestructible, but they take forever to actually kill. Yesterday I was in a chase with the police at 4 stars in a Comet, and they pumped like 500 rounds in the car including a few from a police helicopter. The comet showed no signs of being near destruction. The engine was not even smoking even though literally half the car was riddled with bullet holes and a tire was shot out. That's simply ridiculous.

the_suicide_fox
  • the_suicide_fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:28 AM Edited by the_suicide_fox, 30 September 2013 - 02:35 AM.

The cars in V are tanks. They're not utterly indestructible, but they take forever to actually kill. Yesterday I was in a chase with the police at 4 stars in a Comet, and they pumped like 500 rounds in the car including a few from a police helicopter. The comet showed no signs of being near destruction. The engine was not even smoking even though literally half the car was riddled with bullet holes and a tire was shot out. That's simply ridiculous.

No they're not, stop spreading lies. If your tires get shot out, or your trans blows you have a huge problem. It's just as bad as if the car simply caught fire and exploded, the biggest difference being you have more opportunity to salvage your vehicle. If you put time/money into your vehicle that's something you would want.

You're also ignoring the fact that the cops are much better in this game. If the cars were weaker you wouldn't be able to run even at 3 stars.

Also FYI, for the realism debate; Mythbusters proved it is impossible to blow a car by shooting it in real life. They fired tracers rounds directly into the fuel tank and it didn't even catch fire. So please don't come back at me that the damage system in IV is more realistic or anything.

EDIT: I just blew up a sedan with the combat MG in just over 1 and 1/2 clips. They are tougher than IV but not tanks.

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

R* ain't changing sh*t

Sad but true

Us gta4 fans are the minority (everyone else been playing COD for the last 5 years)

It's a sad day when our entertainment is sold to the lowest grade of gamer out there today. Don't get me wrong overall its an amazing sandbox with nothing short of spectacular graphics. But still a step down from gta4 in the way that it feels more like a PS2 game. More so than the cutting edge entertainment we all love Rockstar for.

Dust off that ps2 and see for your self san andreas was a better game overall! How could this have happened?

Tumbling out of a car is very bad looking now. The character cannot rock climb even as good as gta4 (on foot or in cars). instant 100mph?!?  With a mountain like chiliad this feels like a deliberate troll from R*.

Come to think of it. It is just as bad of a troll as the spawn points are in gta4 or the (Asshol*) AI drivers of Liberty city.

Do they just hate the fans of gta? I fear they care more about $ales than they do putting out a good product? Golly gee did someone actually think this was a step forward from GTAiv, RDR or MidnightClub???

You do know that your assumption as to why they changed the driving has no basis in reality, right? They could've simply liked this system better, why are you so deluded that you think it was done for little kids?

It doesn't even make sense.

decon954
  • decon954

PS4 at launch.... Xbox one 8-12 months after

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

In Gta 5 the driving is PERFECT ....... Finally got it right............................It's not supossed to feel real or be a driving sim. Great job Rockstar

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:00 AM Edited by Aragrox, 30 September 2013 - 03:04 AM.

A video shooting the same cars in different spots will prove which is tough or tank. The damage in gta 4 is more realistic, that's a fact. A lot of people say "It takes like 3 cars to get here", if you sit and think about how you drive, then it would only take you one, even with four stars, use your god dam brain. And for that car shooting experiment, yea its actually hard for bullets to go through cars, but thats when the realism is dubbed out and the game come into play, think about it.

The car handling in gta 5 is a joke. Its like having drive assist on. Everyone who say this was annoying and that was hard to get to or terrible in performance just saying how challenging the game was and for 5 to bring drive assist with no way to turn it off, I mean dude, this sh*t to easy, why?

the_suicide_fox
  • the_suicide_fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:36 AM Edited by the_suicide_fox, 30 September 2013 - 03:36 AM.

A video shooting the same cars in different spots will prove which is tough or tank. The damage in gta 4 is more realistic, that's a fact. A lot of people say "It takes like 3 cars to get here", if you sit and think about how you drive, then it would only take you one, even with four stars, use your god dam brain. And for that car shooting experiment, yea its actually hard for bullets to go through cars, but thats when the realism is dubbed out and the game come into play, think about it.

Realistic? Mythbusters proved that you can not blow up a car by shooting it. They even did a best case scenario with tracers rounds and a half fill gas tank. It didn't even catch fire.

But then you go on to the second part. SMH, do you use logic at all?

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

R* ain't changing sh*t

Sad but true

You do know that your assumption as to why they changed the driving has no basis in reality, right? They could've simply liked this system better, why are you so deluded that you think it was done for little kids?

It doesn't even make sense.

What doesn't make sense about it to you friend?

The point of selling games is to make money right?

You know all an M rating means is parental guidence strongly suggested right?

this means up to 2/3 of games are sold to underage kids.

the other 5 million of us adults around 30% (1/3) are the minority

Look at both the sides of the debate on this forum.

I hardly see any real grown up gta fans saying they like the new gta.

mostly haters with nothing better to do than trying to draw people into a name calling argument.

mrhandss
  • mrhandss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

R* ain't changing sh*t

Sad but true

oh shut the hell up. You act as if people who started with IV or prefer its driving over EVERY gta before and now after it are more entitled. f*ck you.

dodeca
  • dodeca

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

I get a feeling that most people complaining about GTA 4 driving being like driving on ice and stuff probably played on PC with a keyboard or the classic controls where the face buttons are mapped to throttle and brake. Burnouts at the start or sliding during turns only happen when you give full throttle(or a lot of throttle atleast). On keyboard, its either fulll throttle or no throttle. You cant control the amount of trhottle and brake. Same with the face buttons except on the PS3 but I doubt many people make use of the pressure sensitivity of the PS3 face buttons.

I mostly played GTA4 on PC and disliked the driving to an extent when I used to play on the keyboard. I loved it with a gamepad though.

I must be a rare case, because I'm played with classic controls on the PS3 for the last five years, and I never had a problem. I greatly preferred those controls over the L2/R2 brake and accelerator ... and yes, I used the pressure sensitive face buttons quite well.

If you make use of the pressure sensitivity, no wonder you dont have complaints. But what i tried to say was that there is a chance that people who complained about 4's driving did so because of inability to modulate throttle and brakes on face buttons and keyboard.

C4-_-GIBBfather
  • C4-_-GIBBfather

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

Does that like the new driving in gta 5 are younger and more causal players. probaly will stop playing it after chrismas due to other games.

Does that dont like the driving in gta 5 (prefered gta 4) are older and hardcore players that was looking for more deapth and challening aspect of the new gta. Was looking forward to play this game untill next gta was realised.

This is just my guess, ofc it can be exceptions to this, but i Think in general it is a god guess.

• drjonkoe likes this

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

The driving in the game is good the way it is.  If you have 100% armor on your car, it will take quite a few crashes to damage the car severely but otherwise it doesn't take very long to total a car in this game.  I find the damage to be better in V vs IV TBH.  In IV the damage seemed scripted almost.  First you loose your headlights, then the hood pops off and the windows smash, and so on.  In V the damage seems more dynamic and depends on what you are doing.  I notice new ways that cars are damaged in V all the time however in 4 it was pretty much always the same.

Every car in IV felt like it was driving on ice plus suspension and braking physics seemed over exaggerated.  You don't need to slam on the breaks anymore when only driving 40mph and taking corners a little fast won't cause the suspension on your vehicle to go crazy.

The only somewhat valid complaints that I have seen so far are that with some cars, the breaking seems too good and those cars will stop on a dime no matter what.  The cars in V feel faster though so this is almost needed.  The other valid complaint is that the steering is extremely sensitive and there is no option, that I am aware of, to adjust it (I've gotten used to the sensitivity now though).

I noticed they don't even have 2000 signatures on that petition to change the driving mechanics.  I think the people who think this is a real problem just tend to be very vocal about everything on forums thus giving the perception that there are lots of people who have a problem with the game's driving.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users