Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,095 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2255 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (899 votes [39.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.87%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (627 votes [27.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.80%

3. Indifferent (100 votes [4.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.43%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (258 votes [11.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.44%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (371 votes [16.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Erebosgaminghd
  • Erebosgaminghd

Gaming YouTuber

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:05 AM

you having problems with cops in gta5 ? lol another game who cant drive

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

Well believe me it they will not change the driving back. And I'll be the dumb ass while u keep bitching about nonsense. Trust me they made it appoint to make the driving like midnightclub , which is there game. And obviously selling out got them a billion dollars the first day. Lol Smh u ppl make me sick . Piss and f*cking moan. I guess u will just have to play gta IV. they are not changing it .

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:43 AM

you having problems with cops in gta5 ? lol another game who cant drive

The cops are tough, no question about that. Health is pretty well hidden so it's hard to heal after being shot up so badly.

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

To The old school 33% (people bitching about driving and want it changed back to IV) you guys are Just being ridiculous now. This is why u only make 33% of the poll.
For one, u guys are all over the place when it comes to why u think gta V drivings sucks . What's laughable is that half the claims u guys make, contradicts with the other half of the ppl who is bitching about the driving .
Two, u guys rationalize everything to make it sound like the ones who do like the driving in gta V (61.68%) are not "real gamers" or they sucked at the driving in gta IV which resulted in them liking the "dumbed down" driving in gta V. I can tell u first hand this is false. If I was good at anything in gta IV it was the driving . When I first played GTA V , I'm not going to lie I was like wtf why did they change the driving . As I continued on to beat the game, I realized the driving makes sense in GTA V. Yes it has some flaws and can seem unrealistic , but gta IV had it share of flaws too and I'd rather the driving be more on the fun side than it being more realistic. If the driving was realistic trust me, it would be extremely difficult to beat some of the missions in this game. Not only that, I don't think the new driving system is "dumbed down" . It presents it's own challenges to master , it's just different.
Three, WHY ON EARTH would rockstar change the driving mechanics of the whole game just to satisfy 33.74% of it's gaming Community. If it's not broken why fix it ? And please don't give me examples of how the game is unrealistic , just because the driving can have some unrealistic traits doesn't necessarily Mean the driving system is broken.
All u guys deserve, is a retro mode as an online playlist option. U R ONLY 33%. learn to embrace the game or go back to gta IV . And gta V wasn't over hyped , it was well advertised.

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

Well believe me it they will not change the driving back. And I'll be the dumb ass while u keep bitching about nonsense. Trust me they made it appoint to make the driving like midnightclub , which is there game. And obviously selling out got them a billion dollars the first day. Lol Smh u ppl make me sick . Piss and f*cking moan. I guess u will just have to play gta IV. they are not changing it .

See, that's the point. Most people waiting for GTA V didn't want Midnight Club driving in a GTA game. They wanted an improved version of IV. And we got Midnight Club driving. It's not a improvement, it's a step back. And I guarantee if the handling on GTA V was like IV's in the first place, you wouldn't be complaining about it. You would be defending it like you defend everything else. I hate to say it, but GTA V isn't perfect right now. And I'm a HUGE fan of Rockstar and the Grand Theft Auto series. GTA to me is better than ANY other game out there in my opinion. I've played GTA sooo much it's not even healthy. And I love GTA V too with my heart, but not so much the driving. And you have to agree there's some problems with the driving. I know you know it isn't perfect, but yet you keep defending it for bogus reasons when it could be vastly improved. I absolutely hate being critical of a GTA game and really I never thought I would, but this isn't the way Rockstar should have went in driving.

• DrAnomalous, FasterThanYou and HamSandwich like this

dodeca
  • dodeca

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Who the f*ck are you? are you a spokesperson for R*? Toss off.

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

To The old school 33% (people bitching about driving and want it changed back to IV) you guys are Just being ridiculous now. This is why u only make 33% of the poll.

Polls surveys, online surveys, are not very accurate, so thats cut out.

Two, u guys rationalize everything to make it sound like the ones who do like the driving in gta V (61.68%) are not "real gamers" or they sucked at the driving in gta IV which resulted in them liking the "dumbed down" driving in gta V.

He should of meant hardcore gamers, and they mean dumbed down from more realistic to less, hearing that it uses somewhat of the same game engine as gta 4. 

Yes it has some flaws and can seem unrealistic , but gta IV had it share of flaws too and I'd rather the driving be more on the fun side than it being more realistic. If the driving was realistic trust me, it would be extremely difficult to beat some of the missions in this game. Not only that, I don't think the new driving system is "dumbed down" . It presents it's own challenges to master , it's just different.

Yes, gta 4 did have them flaws. If the driving was realistic, it would not make the game harder because no one would know because its not. Everyone who dont accepts gta 5 physics is because they were challenged, and now their pampered for their hard work.

And gta V wasn't over hyped , it was well advertised.

<.<

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

dose any one see it odd 33% of gta fans don't like and over 20% hate gta5

Aprox 1/3 of 15 million copys sold means 5 million people are possibly disappointed with this new gta?

I think people came to respect gta4 and were looking forward to expanding the horizon of realistic video games.

It's sad to see how divided people are on this issue.

I don't now how many of you that choose to type your hateful messages to each other have been playing gta4

online in the last week? But the gta community is mourning the death of this great game.

(PS.  you cyber bully types make me want to vomit )

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

I told you i had the invincibility cheat code but you had to be dicks!

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Who the f*ck are you? are you a spokesperson for R*? Toss off.

You know he's right. But go ahead - keep crying. Pointlessly, I might add. 

dodeca
  • dodeca

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

You know he's right. But go ahead - keep crying. Pointlessly, I might add. 

No sir, I don't know he's right. I don't know he's wrong either.

But u no wat? I hav an opinion taht R* will listen to real gamerz and get the old handling back. Now I want u 2 accept my opinion as da truth and swear by it. If u dn't, ur a crybaby and a loser, just wasting time and energy posting pointless things on these forums because Im always rite and ur always wrong!

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

This is a horrible idea. All u guys need is a retro mode online. That's it !!!! U r the minority. FOR THE THOUSAND f*ckING TIME , why would R* change it back to gta IV to only please 30% , does this make sense to u ? I prefer them to appeal to the masses it will beef up the online population. Embrace change ppl. If it was up to u guys we will still be playing The original gta with sh*tty graphics.

What the hell are you talking about mate? You´re the one defending holding back the progress in the game´s quality for the sake of accessibility.

You got it totally wrong: YOU and those like you are the cause we have to play with toy cars in 2013 despite developers being able to build a great physic system in an action game. Change already happened in GTA4 as soon as they got decent hardware, YOU couldn´t embrace it and we´ve been pushed back because of your moaning.

• DrAnomalous, gunziness and Boxman108 like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

See, that's the point. Most people waiting for GTA V didn't want Midnight Club driving in a GTA game. They wanted an improved version of IV. And we got Midnight Club driving. It's not a improvement, it's a step back. And I guarantee if the handling on GTA V was like IV's in the first place, you wouldn't be complaining about it. You would be defending it like you defend everything else

Totally. That´s how brainless fanboys work.They´re unable to have an opinion by themselves. Look at us, no one here is denying this is a great action game, with cool shooting part, cool story, lots of features and activities, big beatiful World... but we´re still able to tell it has terrible things like the driving.

They aren´t able to admit there are bad parts, everything is good for them. And funny part is that you mention, even if it was all totally different, they wouldn´t change their view one inch. Their posts have zero valuable feedback about the game.Waste of bandwidth.

• DrAnomalous likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

I said to add an option when customizing your car to change handling back to IV's, but you would still have an option to drive the car with V's handling. Then you would have more freedom in the game if you had a choice on which way

It would have made more sense if vehicles handled like in IV and you could upgrade them to V handling (although not as exaggerated)

• FasterThanYou likes this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

I don't mind that the game got a little unrealistic. I don't. I can actually turn corners now, and no, I still can't do them at 100 MPH like so many people claim. I still have cars spin out on me. But it's fine because they don't skid so damn much now.

Plus, I don't think "it takes skill, noob" is a legitimate argument. "I wanna be the guy" takes skill too and yet it's not the most popular game in the world. I also hate the phrase "Dumbed down". I am an intelligent man, sir. Just because I like the new physics doesn't mean I'm dumb. Liking one thing over another does not make you more intelligent than another person, and in fact I think that claiming such nonsense actually makes you look stupider.

This whole debate was stupid from the start, however. I mean, you either like the driving or you don't. End of discussion. No bullsh*t about casual vs. hardcore, no crap about dumbing down or casualization. You either like the new physics or you don't. Just come out and say that instead of hiding behind a wall of "The things I like make me better than you" psuedo-intellectual bullsh*t.

• Ferocious Banger likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

This whole debate was stupid from the start, however. I mean, you either like the driving or you don't. End of discussion. No bullsh*t about casual vs. hardcore, no crap about dumbing down or casualization. You either like the new physics or you don't. Just come out and say that instead of hiding behind a wall of "The things I like make me better than you" psuedo-intellectual bullsh*t.

There´s nothing wrong with being a casual, there´s nothing wrong with sucking at driving in a game. But let´s not pretend the situation is not that: casuals enjoying 5 because they get away with  bad driving and mistakes, rest of players enjoying more 4 because of the much more detailed physic model being way more enjoyable when mastered.

Enjoying more 4 doesn´t give any moral highground or anything, but let´s not pretend the opinions are not split like that between casuals and what you call hardcore fans.

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

goddamn ppl 4 was had just as sh*tty of driving it was just the other way. neither game was anything like reall driving. tbogt was as close as it got to real driving. until they copy a gt game for there cars its not going to be. r* has done sold the game to you guess what they made there money.

• elmo87 likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Gay Tony was a tweaking of vanilla IV. That's really what they should have done here. They should have continued refining what they had. Instead they did a complete overhaul and those of us who spent the last 5 years (daily!) in races or running around the LC airport were shocked.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Personally I like it. It's much easier and the damage isn't all that good, but it's a much faster game in general. Cops, gang members, really anyone who chases you, seems to be pretty damn quick. As others have said, IV's boatmobiles in V would be a frustrating experience.

Finally R* figured out traffic though. I can actually drive on the highway now and not have 90 cars merge into my lane at once. And if I'm in an 18 wheeler I'm actually slower than the rest of traffic. I love it.
  • elmo87 likes this

MrErious
  • MrErious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Driving mechanics are awesome only thing I dnt like is being able to flip my car back to its wheels from its roof at a standstill wtf. This is GTA if your car is upside down its gonna blow, what happened to that. The police are excellent in v and getting away from them Is easy when you know what your doing, get in a car that no one has seen you take and drive calmly past police just like in the prologue mission.

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

some ppl want this game to be ff azn drift is part of the problem. i thought that sh*t died years ago but apparently ppl still watch this movie.

• Odra likes this

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:05 PM Edited by gta5freemode4eva, 29 September 2013 - 05:06 PM.

I see they've sorted out the 18-wheeler vs 'other smaller lighter vehicles' issue... 18 wheelers now SMASH other stuff out of the way :)

Good stuff Rockstar 

I think that the off-road stuff is getting sorted too (not sure about the bikes off road though :( - they have NO suspension and seem just flippin silly - EDIT - the sanchex has got a BIT of suspension now... cmon rockstar... little bit more please! look at those forks on the bike :D)...

When you change your wheels in the tuning shops... the 'traction' stat NEVER changes... maybe R* should make this change as I've just whacked some off-road tyres onto my car and it grips so much better off-road... it feels like GTA 4 with respect to how they were with off roading. The cars still don't 'pull' with their front wheels though. Power goes to them, but not all models is the power 'applied' to the floor... odd

Good Stuff. This game is becoming what it should be... totally reaking awesome. 

I did rate the game the other day 6.5 out of 10 because the arse physics just snapped me out of the game (18 wheeler vs faggio and the faggio wins?? c'mon that WAS silly... but they have now fixed it and are slowly going through the game)

I now rate it 8 because I am not being snapped out of the immersion so easily due to the physics being updated. 

GOOD STUFF :)

just to ask... any of u tried a quad bike recently?? All mine after 5 seconds have sparks coming out and then break down and dont start?  bug??

C4-_-GIBBfather
  • C4-_-GIBBfather

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:11 PM Edited by C4-_-GIBBfather, 29 September 2013 - 05:12 PM.

I see they've sorted out the 18-wheeler vs 'other smaller lighter vehicles' issue... 18 wheelers now SMASH other stuff out of the way :)

Good stuff Rockstar 

I think that the off-road stuff is getting sorted too (not sure about the bikes off road though :( - they have NO suspension and seem just flippin silly - EDIT - the sanchex has got a BIT of suspension now... cmon rockstar... little bit more please! look at those forks on the bike :D)...

How do you know they have fixed anything? I havent downloaded any patch/information to my console.

C4-_-GIBBfather
  • C4-_-GIBBfather

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

If they shud fix something it would be the driving/custominations.
Driving = stearing sensitivity option, like aim sensitivity. Everuone can tune to ther liking.

Custumination = loser, thigter suspension, lower and higher suspenision. tyres = different traction to the road and offroad.

damage = just commen sence due to wheight and momentum.

AtchooMatchew
  • AtchooMatchew

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I don't mind the driving the in GTA V so much, but without having gone back to IV yet to compare, I think I still prefer the driving physics in IV. While the driving could at times be frustrating in IV--Some muscle cars would over-drift and spin out and other cars (SUVS) could only take sharp turn at very low speeds--it was still very good and fun to master. My buddy disliked a lot of cars on the basis of not being able to drift at high speeds around turns. However, I was in love with the Turismo for the fact that if you slowed down to just the right speed, started turning, and then hit the gas again, you would turn wide, but grip like a mofo and come out of the turn clean. It was my favorite feeling, especially when racing online and seeing other kids wreck their Turismos while trying to take turns at high speeds.

In GTA V I no longer have that feeling, but I can't complain. I haven't had a single moment of frustration over not being able to maneuver through cars or hit turns without having to slow down very much. And when I do get cocky and get into a collision, the way the car spins out of control is loads of fun. My fear is that online races will have more even results between players because skill won't be such a huge factor.

I do think it's ironic that Rockstar went with more arcade-esque physics for driving and then made flying "realistic". Helicopters were my favorite in GTA IV, but now I can hardly stand them. It seems like they had a list of key goals for the game and for vehicles, they just put "Make them all over-responsive". But that's a whole other conversation. All told, the driving is okay in GTA V if you don't mind a hybrid style of physics from IV and Saints Row.

the_suicide_fox
  • the_suicide_fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by the_suicide_fox, 29 September 2013 - 07:32 PM.

I've read quite a bit of this thread, and actually created this account mainly to make this post so here it goes.

I have played GTA II, III, Vice City (or at least half of it), IV and now almost completing V. While I did enjoy driving in IV, I feel that V is an overall improvement. Here are my thoughts on a few topics going on in this thread:

Realistic vs Arcadey - So a lot of hardcore GTA IV players felt the physics in IV made the game better. However, I feel that it held the game back. One thing I love to do in any GTA is drive, and my biggest gripe with IV (while I was playing it mind you) was the rather clunky mechanics of driving. To me the only vehicles worth driving were the supers and some sports. Your average truck or sedan just didn't have the level of fun and actually felt very tedious to drive. I would find myself standing in the middle of the road for 15 minutes letting cars pass one at a time until I found a car that was rather fast and had good handling. In V, the average car has been buffed up to act more like supers did in the previous game, and super have been buffed to be even more fun to drive. So now instead of spending a long time waiting for a decent car to come along I feel like I can hope into almost any vehicle and drive off and have fun. I still go hunting for the sports and supers, but I don't feel as if I need them as much. Honestly, if I wasn't driving a cheetah or infernus in IV I was probably spending my time looking for one. 

Cars in V have no personality - I completely disagree with this. Even though the average car has been buffed to near super status in V doesn't mean you can't tell the difference between the cars. I can definitely tell when I'm driving a sports or super because they are faster and have much better handling. I can tell when I'm driving a van or SUV because they feel heavier and don't turn as well as smaller cars. I can tell when I'm driving an off-road vehicle because they are usually fast but have heavy suspension. For example, anytime I need a getaway vehicle I got for SUV's because they are a bit tougher than normal cars. The cars all definitely feel different from each other, but because they were all buffed I find it much more enjoyable to drive SUV's, low riders, and compacts; all vehicles I would avoid with a passion in IV. And once you upgrade certain parts of the car you can DEFINITELY tell the difference. Upgrade a standard sedan or coupe and it drives a bit better than a super. Upgrade a super and it feels like a super duper LOL. The first time I took a Vapid Bullet and upgraded the engine, trans, suspension, brakes, and added turbo it because just a monster on the road. I could make turns I couldn't before, I could drive super crazy fast (which I love), and I could make my car look pimped in the process. If I come across a car in V I don't like driving (which, again, is much less frequent than IV) I can upgraded some parts and enjoy it. 

Terrains and weather make no difference - Um... are we playing the same game? Because when I drive on dirt or grass or wet road with anything other than an SUV or off-road I can definitely tell it's more difficult to control the vehicle. It might not be as noticeable as in IV, but again in IV it was annoying to drive off-road or in bad weather. You had to drive super cautiously or else you wipe out, and it just slowed down the game and made it less fun for me, it just made driving a chore. You could argue it was more challenging to drive off-road/bad weather, but the same can be said about V. The difference is that it's not such a huge pain to do in V and therefore more fun. You can focus on where you want to go and what to do more than the details of hand braking and slide correction.

Vehicle damage was better in IV - Again I disagree. It was more convenient in that you could destroy cop cars much more easily in a chase, but then it also meant you could die more quickly too. It felt like only a few accidents or bullets and you car was done. Going back to my first point, I found this very frustrating. I would spend all thise extra time looking for a sport or super, only to have a few accidents and lose my car. Now I have to go out and find ANOTHER sport or super because I'm not about to drive around some POS SUV or sedan. And the way damage is done in V is much better than IV. In IV the car just took damage and that was it. In V you could lose a tire, blow yours trans or your suspension, and they can still be destroyed (I've had it happen). It makes damage much more dynamic. Lose a tire and it becomes more difficult to steer and keep control. Blow the trans and now you can't accelerate and get stuck at one speed. I even on time had the suspension destroyed and I could literally not make turns anymore. Car would just drive forward (and to the left because I also had no tire). It definitely makes running from the cops more challenging WITHOUT becoming a tedious chore. Not to mention, it makes chases more fun because you can shoot out someones tires and keep on them with ease.

Cops - So yea, the cops in V are crazy. They will hunt you down on 2 stars like you molested an entire school house and set it on fire while screaming jihad and twittering that you're on your way to shove Miley Cyrus up Obama's ass. I haven't even made it to 5 star yet, and I have blown up many choppers and FIB vans to no avail. The cops in IV weren't as bad, not a serious threat until 3 stars at least. This is one thing I'm rather indifferent about. On the one hand, I'm definitely more cautious when I steal a car or kill someone, but on the other my adrenaline starts to go even on a 1 star. I guess I could say I like it more, but it's not necessarily better or worse than IV. 

Air Control - I love this feature in V. One thing that bugged me in IV was that you lost complete control in the air. Yea, it's more realistic but sometimes I find myself going airborne over the shortest hills, or hitting some random polygon that launches me a few feet up. Now I'm at the mercy of the physics engine. Especially annoying doing stunt jumps, as if you missed the jump by a micron you would go all crazy in the air. Throw in the way damage worked in IV and it just meant I either died or lost my precious super because of a minor miscalculation. Also, the vehicle flipping in V is great. If I somehow managed to crash my precious super, or miss that stunt jump by a micron and still land upside down, I can at least salvage my vehicle, repair, and try again. If I spent a ton of time and money finding and upgrading a fun car I don't want to lose it nilly willy to some random pixelated water bottle that threw my jump all out of whack.

Motorcycles - I hated motorcycles in IV. One of the main reasons I didn't purchase the Lost and Damned DLC. It was just the frustration of steering combined with the fragility of the vehicle, and add in the fact that you have no air control and motorcycles become the most pain in the ass vehicle to drive in IV. Again, you could argue it's more challenging, but there's a difference between a challenge and a frustration. Challenge is fun, frustration is not. A challenge is stuff like landing on a moving train with a motorcycle (like the one mission you do) or racing around the city at high speeds STILL with a huge risk of crashing catastrophically if you don't dodge every car and light pole in your way. Frustration is slowing down significantly over speed bumps, wiping out and taking damage/dying when trying to make a not-so-sharp turn, fishtailing on a straight away at high speed all because you didn't want to hit the SUV you were trying to pass. 

You can't drift and cars stick to the ground to easily - This is one thing I partially agree with. I loved drifting in IV, and the fact that you could go airborne more easily meant you could essentially climb over things, like the metal rails on the highways or short bushes that surround parking lots. However, I found that you can still do these things in V it's just different. Drifting, for example, is more simply done by just holding the hand brake as you come up to the turn and just turning at the right time. No need to counter steer or adjust. Yea, it takes a bit more skill in IV to pull off, but it doesn't feel any less satisfying in V. As I get used to it I start to like it more, because it means I can focus less on details of the button presses and more on what I'm trying to do. Am I running from the cops? Chasing someone? Trying to power slide over some random pedestrian? Trying to avoid being shot? I can worry more about that stuff because drifting is more streamlined. Climbing over stuff is significantly harder in V due to vehicles natural stickiness to the ground, but that just means I can't take the easy way out. In IV I would hop the rails to avoid cops all the time and it made running easier. In V, because I can't really do that I have to really know the roads I'm driving on, or look for a hole in the wall to take advantage. Again, I like both systems, but in V it just feels more focused and streamlined.

Flying - Choppers and planes are definitely more difficult to drive in V, but I found that the flying stat really makes a huge difference. Flying as Trevor, who naturally has 4 bars for flying IIRC, is much MUCH easier than flying as Franklin, who starts at a pitiful 1 bar. It's like night and day. But even playing as Trevor it's a bit trickier to come to a full stop and just hover. In IV it felt better, so this is probably the one thing I felt R* messed up. I mean, I can understand my troubles with Franklin, but Trevor (who now has full bar) should be able to easily stop on a floating dime and not be all tipsy. However it's not drastic, so I can deal with it.

I can see where the hardcore IV players are coming from, but I still feel like V is an improvement. It still takes skill to drive at high speeds, but the entire system feels more streamlined. After playing V for so long, IV just seems clunky to me. Sure it makes the game more accessible, which is a good thing because you want your average player to have as much fun as the hardcore, but I don't think there is a lack of skill needed. I think when GTA Online comes out, and people start to race then players will notice the skill gap between the good drivers and the bad. The good drivers will still need to know how to drift, and be good at regaining control of the car after a wipe out (or maybe even stopping the wipe out from happening in the first place).

So I really think that most hardcore IV players are overreacting. If you don't enjoy it, go back to IV. Hate to say stuff like that but it's the truth. I have not enjoyed the changes in sequels and simply said my piece on the forums and went back to the games I did enjoy. I really doubt R* will change the system much if at all. Either try to be more open minded and look at the changes as positive and more streamline for the game, or don't like it and keep playing IV. That's all there is to it. 

• Odra likes this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

I agree with the helicopters being utterly insane in this game. It is IMPOSSIBLE to control them even with Trevor, they sway and bob like drunken sailors even when standing perfectly still.

I can't hit a cop car standing still with a Buzzard that's two feet from the ground while using Trevor. That's not good.

This is one of the most inconsistent games ever. Half the time it's amazing and the other half it's baffling.

apoapsis1001
  • apoapsis1001

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:47 PM Edited by apoapsis1001, 29 September 2013 - 07:48 PM.

I've read quite a bit of this thread, and actually created this account mainly to make this post so here it goes.

I have played GTA II, III, Vice City (or at least half of it), IV and now almost completing V. While I did enjoy driving in IV, I feel that V is an overall improvement. Here are my thoughts on a few topics going on in this thread:

Realistic vs Arcadey - So a lot of hardcore GTA IV players felt the physics in IV made the game better. However, I feel that it held the game back. One thing I love to do in any GTA is drive, and my biggest gripe with IV (while I was playing it mind you) was the rather clunky mechanics of driving. To me the only vehicles worth driving were the supers and some sports. Your average truck or sedan just didn't have the level of fun and actually felt very tedious to drive. I would find myself standing in the middle of the road for 15 minutes letting cars pass one at a time until I found a car that was rather fast and had good handling. In V, the average car has been buffed up to act more like supers did in the previous game, and super have been buffed to be even more fun to drive. So now instead of spending a long time waiting for a decent car to come along I feel like I can hope into almost any vehicle and drive off and have fun. I still go hunting for the sports and supers, but I don't feel as if I need them as much. Honestly, if I wasn't driving a cheetah or infernus in IV I was probably spending my time looking for one. 

Cars in V have no personality - I completely disagree with this. Even though the average car has been buffed to near super status in V doesn't mean you can't tell the difference between the cars. I can definitely tell when I'm driving a sports or super because they are faster and have much better handling. I can tell when I'm driving a van or SUV because they feel heavier and don't turn as well as smaller cars. I can tell when I'm driving an off-road vehicle because they are usually fast but have heavy suspension. For example, anytime I need a getaway vehicle I got for SUV's because they are a bit tougher than normal cars. The cars all definitely feel different from each other, but because they were all buffed I find it much more enjoyable to drive SUV's, low riders, and compacts; all vehicles I would avoid with a passion in IV. And once you upgrade certain parts of the car you can DEFINITELY tell the difference. Upgrade a standard sedan or coupe and it drives a bit better than a super. Upgrade a super and it feels like a super duper LOL. The first time I took a Vapid Bullet and upgraded the engine, trans, suspension, brakes, and added turbo it because just a monster on the road. I could make turns I couldn't before, I could drive super crazy fast (which I love), and I could make my car look pimped in the process. If I come across a car in V I don't like driving (which, again, is much less frequent than IV) I can upgraded some parts and enjoy it. 

Terrains and weather make no difference - Um... are we playing the same game? Because when I drive on dirt or grass or wet road with anything other than an SUV or off-road I can definitely tell it's more difficult to control the vehicle. It might not be as noticeable as in IV, but again in IV it was annoying to drive off-road or in bad weather. You had to drive super cautiously or else you wipe out, and it just slowed down the game and made it less fun for me, it just made driving a chore. You could argue it was more challenging to drive off-road/bad weather, but the same can be said about V. The difference is that it's not such a huge pain to do in V and therefore more fun. You can focus on where you want to go and what to do more than the details of hand braking and slide correction.

Vehicle damage was better in IV - Again I disagree. It was more convenient in that you could destroy cop cars much more easily in a chase, but then it also meant you could die more quickly too. It felt like only a few accidents or bullets and you car was done. Going back to my first point, I found this very frustrating. I would spend all thise extra time looking for a sport or super, only to have a few accidents and lose my car. Now I have to go out and find ANOTHER sport or super because I'm not about to drive around some POS SUV or sedan. And the way damage is done in V is much better than IV. In IV the car just took damage and that was it. In V you could lose a tire, blow yours trans or your suspension, and they can still be destroyed (I've had it happen). It makes damage much more dynamic. Lose a tire and it becomes more difficult to steer and keep control. Blow the trans and now you can't accelerate and get stuck at one speed. I even on time had the suspension destroyed and I could literally not make turns anymore. Car would just drive forward (and to the left because I also had no tire). It definitely makes running from the cops more challenging WITHOUT becoming a tedious chore. Not to mention, it makes chases more fun because you can shoot out someones tires and keep on them with ease.

Cops - So yea, the cops in V are crazy. They will hunt you down on 2 stars like you molested an entire school house and set it on fire while screaming jihad and twittering that you're on your way to shove Miley Cyrus up Obama's ass. I haven't even made it to 5 star yet, and I have blown up many choppers and FIB vans to no avail. The cops in IV weren't as bad, not a serious threat until 3 stars at least. This is one thing I'm rather indifferent about. On the one hand, I'm definitely more cautious when I steal a car or kill someone, but on the other my adrenaline starts to go even on a 1 star. I guess I could say I like it more, but it's not necessarily better or worse than IV. 

Air Control - I love this feature in V. One thing that bugged me in IV was that you lost complete control in the air. Yea, it's more realistic but sometimes I find myself going airborne over the shortest hills, or hitting some random polygon that launches me a few feet up. Now I'm at the mercy of the physics engine. Especially annoying doing stunt jumps, as if you missed the jump by a micron you would go all crazy in the air. Throw in the way damage worked in IV and it just meant I either died or lost my precious super because of a minor miscalculation. Also, the vehicle flipping in V is great. If I somehow managed to crash my precious super, or miss that stunt jump by a micron and still land upside down, I can at least salvage my vehicle, repair, and try again. If I spent a ton of time and money finding and upgrading a fun car I don't want to lose it nilly willy to some random pixelated water bottle that threw my jump all out of whack.

Motorcycles - I hated motorcycles in IV. One of the main reasons I didn't purchase the Lost and Damned DLC. It was just the frustration of steering combined with the fragility of the vehicle, and add in the fact that you have no air control and motorcycles become the most pain in the ass vehicle to drive in IV. Again, you could argue it's more challenging, but there's a difference between a challenge and a frustration. Challenge is fun, frustration is not. A challenge is stuff like landing on a moving train with a motorcycle (like the one mission you do) or racing around the city at high speeds STILL with a huge risk of crashing catastrophically if you don't dodge every car and light pole in your way. Frustration is slowing down significantly over speed bumps, wiping out and taking damage/dying when trying to make a not-so-sharp turn, fishtailing on a straight away at high speed all because you didn't want to hit the SUV you were trying to pass. 

You can't drift and cars stick to the ground to easily - This is one thing I partially agree with. I loved drifting in IV, and the fact that you could go airborne more easily meant you could essentially climb over things, like the metal rails on the highways or short bushes that surround parking lots. However, I found that you can still do these things in V it's just different. Drifting, for example, is more simply done by just holding the hand brake as you come up to the turn and just turning at the right time. No need to counter steer or adjust. Yea, it takes a bit more skill in IV to pull off, but it doesn't feel any less satisfying in V. As I get used to it I start to like it more, because it means I can focus less on details of the button presses and more on what I'm trying to do. Am I running from the cops? Chasing someone? Trying to power slide over some random pedestrian? Trying to avoid being shot? I can worry more about that stuff because drifting is more streamlined. Climbing over stuff is significantly harder in V due to vehicles natural stickiness to the ground, but that just means I can't take the easy way out. In IV I would hop the rails to avoid cops all the time and it made running easier. In V, because I can't really do that I have to really know the roads I'm driving on, or look for a hole in the wall to take advantage. Again, I like both systems, but in V it just feels more focused and streamlined.

Flying - Choppers and planes are definitely more difficult to drive in V, but I found that the flying stat really makes a huge difference. Flying as Trevor, who naturally has 4 bars for flying IIRC, is much MUCH easier than flying as Franklin, who starts at a pitiful 1 bar. It's like night and day. But even playing as Trevor it's a bit trickier to come to a full stop and just hover. In IV it felt better, so this is probably the one thing I felt R* messed up. I mean, I can understand my troubles with Franklin, but Trevor (who now has full bar) should be able to easily stop on a floating dime and not be all tipsy. However it's not drastic, so I can deal with it.

I can see where the hardcore IV players are coming from, but I still feel like V is an improvement. It still takes skill to drive at high speeds, but the entire system feels more streamlined. After playing V for so long, IV just seems clunky to me. Sure it makes the game more accessible, which is a good thing because you want your average player to have as much fun as the hardcore, but I don't think there is a lack of skill needed. I think when GTA Online comes out, and people start to race then players will notice the skill gap between the good drivers and the bad. The good drivers will still need to know how to drift, and be good at regaining control of the car after a wipe out (or maybe even stopping the wipe out from happening in the first place).

So I really think that most hardcore IV players are overreacting. If you don't enjoy it, go back to IV. Hate to say stuff like that but it's the truth. I have not enjoyed the changes in sequels and simply said my piece on the forums and went back to the games I did enjoy. I really doubt R* will change the system much if at all. Either try to be more open minded and look at the changes as positive and more streamline for the game, or don't like it and keep playing IV. That's all there is to it. 

there werent any planes in gta4 btw. lol. and i have to 10000% disagree with you only on one thing. the vehicle damage. although it can get annoying wrecking a perfectly good car after just a few wrecks on gta4, it made driving that much more exciting. there was an actual consequence to my actions. on gta5 i can do 180 mph into a wall and the left side of my car is bashed in, slightly at best. and i was really hoping for more realistic damage with the motorcycles too, yet they don't get dented up, or mangled.  aside from those few hiccups, i don't see how someone could be so upset with the game to not even play it. blows my mind. iv'e been having a blast with it.  although i find myself not driving motorcycles as much as i did on gta4, brakes are too efficient and when i jump a big ramp, when i land, there's barely any sound of him making an impact. he just gently touches the ground like the wheels are made of clouds. haha.

the_suicide_fox
  • the_suicide_fox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:05 PM Edited by the_suicide_fox, 29 September 2013 - 08:06 PM.

there werent any planes in gta4 btw. lol. and i have to 10000% disagree with you only on one thing. the vehicle damage. although it can get annoying wrecking a perfectly good car after just a few wrecks on gta4, it made driving that much more exciting. there was an actual consequence to my actions. on gta5 i can do 180 mph into a wall and the left side of my car is bashed in, slightly at best. and i was really hoping for more realistic damage with the motorcycles too, yet they don't get dented up, or mangled.  aside from those few hiccups, i don't see how someone could be so upset with the game to not even play it. blows my mind. iv'e been having a blast with it.  although i find myself not driving motorcycles as much as i did on gta4, brakes are too efficient and when i jump a big ramp, when i land, there's barely any sound of him making an impact. he just gently touches the ground like the wheels are made of clouds. haha.

Yea I don't remember planes in 4, but the point still stands about choppers. I was just trying to be thorough but to the point. Plus I haven't played IV in at least a year.

See I don't feel like the damage system made the game more exciting, only more frustrating. The exciting part about going fast is maintaining that speed while dodging traffic and obstacles. I didn't get excited about whether or not my car would be totaled, I got excited that I could drive super fast for what seemed like ages before crashing and simply coming to a halt. I do miss that at high speeds Niko would be shot out of the front of the car, that was funny but it got old pretty quick. But crashing in itself is not fun (usually), and the added fact you lose your car just made an annoyance really. Like I said, I don't want to dump a lot of money into a car only to have it go bye bye in a few fender benders. And driving straight into a wall at high speed will still mess up your car pretty bad. If you are running from the cops this can mean the difference between a getaway and getting wasted (because let's face it, they don't even try to arrest you after 2 stars). But I would rather hit the wall once, lose my momentum, and find a repair shop than hit the wall once and completely lose my car, or just die.

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:18 PM Edited by Cartman28279, 29 September 2013 - 09:20 PM.

I agree that the damage in V is way better than IV was in the way that wheels, bumpers, and other parts can come off. But the amount of things you have to do to get it damaged is ridiculous. It makes it more fun and interesting trying to run from the cops or getting from point a to point b without completely demolishing your car when it's easier to damage.

Have you literally not played GTA IV at all? If you did you would know you can control your car in mid air, and it's better than the way it's controlled on GTA V. The only reason the Air Control on V is better is due to the fact when you start turning the yaw of the vehicle on it's axis the camera doesn't spin like on IV. But yeah, you have complete control of your car while in air on GTA IV as well, and it was also on GTA San Andreas. I guess you were just too blind to notice it.

Flying - Choppers and planes are definitely more difficult to drive in V, but I found that the flying stat really makes a huge difference. Flying as Trevor, who naturally has 4 bars for flying IIRC, is much MUCH easier than flying as Franklin, who starts at a pitiful 1 bar. It's like night and day. But even playing as Trevor it's a bit trickier to come to a full stop and just hover. In IV it felt better, so this is probably the one thing I felt R* messed up. I mean, I can understand my troubles with Franklin, but Trevor (who now has full bar) should be able to easily stop on a floating dime and not be all tipsy. However it's not drastic, so I can deal with it.

I agree that IV felt better flying choppers too, because now on GTA V when you try to fly the buzzard, for example, it's almost impossible now to aim with machine guns and shoot people on the ground or in a vehicle. I can usually hit most things with them, but it's much more of a pain now due to the headwinds and other things affecting the chopper. I've been piloting on IV since 2009 and I can hit almost anything with my Buzzard or Annihilator on IV, but now even though I can still aim decently with V's chopper, it will be impossible for people who just started on V to master the machine gun on the heli and get good at it. I really don't see why they made driving much easier and heli flying so odd and difficult. Also another thing with the heli is I don't think the propellers can really break unless the heli blows up, and the back tail doesn't seem to break either. I'm not sure yet if it can, but what I've tried so far neither have came off in flight.

Motorcycles - I hated motorcycles in IV. One of the main reasons I didn't purchase the Lost and Damned DLC. It was just the frustration of steering combined with the fragility of the vehicle, and add in the fact that you have no air control and motorcycles become the most pain in the ass vehicle to drive in IV. Again, you could argue it's more challenging, but there's a difference between a challenge and a frustration. Challenge is fun, frustration is not. A challenge is stuff like landing on a moving train with a motorcycle (like the one mission you do) or racing around the city at high speeds STILL with a huge risk of crashing catastrophically if you don't dodge every car and light pole in your way. Frustration is slowing down significantly over speed bumps, wiping out and taking damage/dying when trying to make a not-so-sharp turn, fishtailing on a straight away at high speed all because you didn't want to hit the SUV you were trying to pass. 

How was it frustrating? It really isn't. I could drive just fine at high speeds and hitting ramps, jumps, or bumps with a motorcycle was much more enjoyable. Also doing flips were way more better and fun too. Now on V when doing a flip with any bike or using air control in a car, it takes forever for the vehicle to do a flip. If they're upright they can lean forward and backward pretty fast, but the moment when you go upside down, it takes an hour to make it do a flip. I don't get why they did that. And again, Air Control was in GTA IV.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users