Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,698 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2449 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (964 votes [39.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.36%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (679 votes [27.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.73%

3. Indifferent (113 votes [4.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (293 votes [11.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.96%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (400 votes [16.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote
FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

It´s amazing, that GIF used to haunt down 4´s handling (and it does depict one of its problems) does more to promote it than it does to make it look bad.

Look at that landing, with the car bottoming down and the loads changing realistically from corner to corner of the car. There´s so much more stuff happening in terms of physics!!

DonAristotlexxx
  • DonAristotlexxx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

The majority of GTA fans agree that the gta4 had more realistic and satisfying vehicle damages. GTA5 has been a major step back in vehicle destruction, including the helicopters, however the car handling is debatable and isn't that big of an issue/concern. GTA5 should be an improvement and not a downgrade. The argument that gta5 needs tougher vehicles because of the high aggressiveness of the police is irrelevant. The cops are too easy to escape, and especially when you can upgrade your amour like a tank...

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:21 PM Edited by Cobra427Cobra427, 28 September 2013 - 05:15 PM.

I think the reason the arcade physics, not only in children and amateurs arcades. In GTA play different people, such as those who are not gamers. What are some adult men, like Michael, who bought GTA, because it is fashionable and include the console once a year.And at the party they are trying to play, but driving GTA4 too difficult for them, as they play on the console for the firs

I thought of this when I saw in the GTA trying to play my father)

king-rotty
  • king-rotty

King Rotty

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:30 PM Edited by king-rotty, 28 September 2013 - 03:34 PM.

4 was like driving a peice of wet soap around. It was rancid but barable. I never cared much about the driving, mostly the riding - and what I could do in the world.

5 is a drastic improvement, even if it is imperfect.

Again. It's with which cars you choose to drive.

There should be a -critique- section in the forums, because this is less about gameplay and more about the actual debate.

The destruction was really bad, actually. It wasn't accumulative like now, but for instance. I could never smash my car so bad that the entire body became disfigured in IV. The panels fell off, tires burst, windows smashed. that was it.

Now we get mechanical failures, the suspention blowing - windows smash way more realistically and satisfying. kicking one in actually feels as fun as it did in real life (when i was a maniac child).

I plowed into a truck in a sports car, took a look and the damage was beautiful. GTAV.. The wheel on the side I collided was bent inward, the frame of the car was damaged - the engine sounded different, dark smoke was pouring out... It still moved, because if it didn't I would have been so pissed I'd have f*cked the controller at a passby outside my apartment.

I think if you hold the break button, damage is reduced drastically. I'd have loved some fully crunched cars though!

• Zinthaniel likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Non-English guy with the long post - don't worry about your English skill dude. You're better than some native speakers.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

4 was like driving a peice of wet soap around. It was rancid but barable. I never cared much about the driving, mostly the riding - and what I could do in the world.

5 is a drastic improvement, even if it is imperfect.

Pffffft... tell me you have more fun with it, but don´t tell me it´s more representative. If you think so you´re not qualified to talk about the subject.

4 was not driving wet soap anything, it was cars built trying to replicate their actual performance. 5 is just overpowered nice skins with no relationship at all with their lookalikes. You like it? Cool. But don´t try to say it´s more representative.

dodeca
  • dodeca

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I get a feeling that most people complaining about GTA 4 driving being like driving on ice and stuff probably played on PC with a keyboard or the classic controls where the face buttons are mapped to throttle and brake. Burnouts at the start or sliding during turns only happen when you give full throttle(or a lot of throttle atleast). On keyboard, its either fulll throttle or no throttle. You cant control the amount of trhottle and brake. Same with the face buttons except on the PS3 but I doubt many people make use of the pressure sensitivity of the PS3 face buttons.

I mostly played GTA4 on PC and disliked the driving to an extent when I used to play on the keyboard. I loved it with a gamepad though.

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

I get a feeling that most people complaining about GTA 4 driving being like driving on ice and stuff probably played on PC with a keyboard or the classic controls where the face buttons are mapped to throttle and brake. Burnouts at the start or sliding during turns only happen when you give full throttle(or a lot of throttle atleast). On keyboard, its either fulll throttle or no throttle. You cant control the amount of trhottle and brake. Same with the face buttons except on the PS3 but I doubt many people make use of the pressure sensitivity of the PS3 face buttons.

I mostly played GTA4 on PC and disliked the driving to an extent when I used to play on the keyboard. I loved it with a gamepad though.

I played with the "face buttons" x and square (the way it should be) and had no problems with burnouts on GTA:IV... the buttons, you know, are somewhat pressure sensitive too... (I guess you did say that). It worked fine - I hate that I can't do it now.. I'm going to state I hate that in every post I ever make to this website (until it's fixed - not holding my breath).

GTA:IV was a bit too sloppy, in my opinion, but I also think it was better than GTA:V, for the most part. GTA:SA, however, was better than BOTH of them by leaps and bounds...

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

GTA:IV was a bit too sloppy, in my opinion, but I also think it was better than GTA:V, for the most part. GTA:SA, however, was better than BOTH of them by leaps and bounds...

Rose tinted glasses. Everyone knew as soon as 4 was out it was a massive upgrade. And 5 is not good at all, but I don´t think 5 is as unsophisticated as SA.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

V is a good game but it's very disappointing in many respects. It really felt like R* has just sold out and dumbed it down for the everyday masses, and let's not even get into the "Let's cut out half the game for GTAO and not tell anyone this until the game actually releases".

I'm gonna be very cautious when VI gets inevitably made.

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:44 PM Edited by Cartman28279, 28 September 2013 - 08:00 PM.

[media][/media]

This is the reason why I think the driving in GTA V should have kept most of the same aspects from IV and why GTA IV driving still continues to have such a large fan base. Because even after 5 years of it's release, players still find new things to do they haven't thought of doing before, and that is what keeps the game alive and makes you come always come back to play it again.

In GTA V  it's not like that. Sure the driving might be kinda fun at first, but for how long are you going to play the game and enjoy the driving for? A week, month, couple of months? Why do I ask that? Because it seems like the driving was made to be enjoyable for a short period of time and not made to last long. I'd glady plan to play this game for 5 more years like I did with GTA IV, but it will be difficult to now due to the driving. There's no originality in things you can do with cars and bikes. I'm serious, like there's none!  Even though GTA IV is 5 years old, there's still some things that have to do with driving that most people wouldn't ever know about. For instance, different things in this video. I'm not going to explain everything, but if you pay close attention to some of the stunts the player in the video performed, you can see what I mean.

I just wish Rockstar could do go back and change handling and reprogram the physics for cars and bikes to make it feel exactly like IV in every aspect, but keep the same physics for V vehicles as well. So if you went to Los Santos Custom there could be an option to change the car/bike/truck/fourwheeler back to what GTA IV's driving would feel like so you get the best of both worlds. I think this is the only possible way to make both sides happy about the driving. I have a feeling it could work too. I just want Rockstar to try to look into this sometime if the word gets spread to them. 

So let's say you have 2 Comets, and you changed the handling to IV's handling on one. You would now have both of the exact same cars, except one feels like IV's Comet, and the other feels still like V's Comet.

Seriously, it would be perfect if they would add an option like that.
  • friendly luggage and FasterThanYou like this

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sadly any change to the handling would effect a lot of other things in the game such as mission times etc. Would IV style handling suit the terrain? I don't know to be honest but that video was immense. I've been playing GTA IV since launch on both 360 and PC and never knew half those stunts were possible. I don't see Rockstar making any patches for the handling. It will be up to modders when the PC version comes out.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I like the new handling except for the fact it's a little too easy to turn. It's just a little too sensitive and IV for me was just a little to unresponsive. Somewhere between IV and V would be better for me. 

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Not too much into stunts, much more into driving as fast as possible around a circuit, and I feel exactly the same way: I don´t see myself playing this thing in 3 months if it´s still like this.

4´s physics were great for everything, coasting following traffic rules (without looking stupid thanks to steering sensitivity), racing between traffic, racing in empty streets making it just as motorsport, stunts...

BTW, stunning video, epic stuff. I don´t even want to think about the ammount of work and attempts that stuff took.

Isa
  • Isa

-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Riding motorcycles in gta v feels way too easy and I don't enjoy how my car acts like some miniature airplane whenever I speed over a bump. But other than that I really do prefer the driving in gta v compared to gta iv. :)

namor
  • namor

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

if1nd3.jpg

Am I the only one looking at this gif and finding it amazing?

It shows that driving in GTA IV was really fun and crazy while still being somewhat realistic. Just notice the way the car reacts when it lands, it looks incredible.

No ,man ! You are not alone!

Oh God, how I miss the bounce whenever a vehicle comes down from a jump, no matter how small. Instead, now, the moment a vehicle comes down from air, it's back on the rails and continues as if nothing had happened. The motorcycle handling and physics are a total abomination, they handled much better and had a more pleasing easthetic engine than on V, where each one of them looks and handles as though it has training wheels/stabilisers or whatever you wish to call them. TLaD had the best motorcycle physics in a game I've seen and played for a long time. When I finish V, it's shelved and I'm back to Liberty City. I was just looking forward to driving this whole new and beautifully realistic world that R* created, then they f*cked it up by giving us Mario Kart to drive around with.

• Rollin and jagcivtec like this

lokalboy808
  • lokalboy808

Master of the Universe

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

I love the driving in 5. To me, 4 was all right, too slow for me though. With faster speed and better turning, I can control the car like a flying saucer.

Monkeybiscuit
  • Monkeybiscuit

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

I like the driving.  I'm a bad driver in games, so I prefer the easymode controls.  Crashing into stuff far far less now.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Oh God, how I miss the bounce whenever a vehicle comes down from a jump, no matter how small. Instead, now, the moment a vehicle comes down from air, it's back on the rails and continues as if nothing had happened.

It was SO good!! Also there wasn´t this jump/no jump stuff we have now, cresting some hills you would simply get the car VERY unloaded but not airborne, and you had to correct slides happening as your wheels gained and lost different degrees of contact with the ground constantly.

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:42 PM Edited by PaulDPearl, 28 September 2013 - 11:43 PM.

Rose tinted glasses. Everyone knew as soon as 4 was out it was a massive upgrade. And 5 is not good at all, but I don´t think 5 is as unsophisticated as SA.

Rose Tinted glasses?

no.

The older GTA series controls were perfect. X as throttle, square as breaks. Look left or right with the trigger buttons, hold both triggers to look behind. If you needed to tilt the camera down you needed some dexterity but it was better controls and better controls means better driving (experience).

As far as the physics of the older games, they were a decent blend between arcade and reality. I always thought they could improve that aspect a bit, which they did in IV (but they used too much Flubber). In this sense, GTA:V is more like the older ones, but again, they flipped the switch too far. I think this game is actually slightly more "arcady" than the older ones. At least in specific areas. Besides the obvious special ability of Franklin, the anti-lock breaks are in overdrive in this game, going from top speed in a supercar to stopped in less than 100 feet, every time (give or take a few feet).

I don't have as big of a problem with the fact that you can control the spin and yaw of your vehicle when you're in mid-air... that's always been in the other games, but in this one it does seem a  bit wrong or overpowered.

• B Dawg likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

Rose Tinted glasses?

no.

The older GTA series controls were perfect. X as throttle, square as breaks.

Oh yes, that´s definitely a case of rose tinted glasses!!

There´s no such a thing as a "perfect layout", that´s just the old one we grew up with. But triggers are SO much better to be used as pedals than front buttons, and joysticks are so much better to use as steering wheel than old D-pad, that claiming that is a good layout nowadays is delusional.

But credit when it´s due: you have a point about special abilities and even auto reverse being even less serious than old SA approach.

• elmo87 likes this

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

The majority of GTA fans agree that the gta4 had more realistic and satisfying vehicle damages.

Majority if fans ? The poll is in our face . How can u lie like this ?

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

I swear what game are u ppl playing. And as far as the damage goes if you are a career criminal wouldn't u get bullet proof everything ? Google it! u can do it in real life even the tires. And all the cars do not drive the same , drive the cheetah then drive the obey . Tell me if that's the same .... Smh and shut up about this realistic nonsense. Where does he put his guns ? In his f*cking ass crack ? Give me a break ppl. This is why I call it bitching not constructive criticism. Maybe u should upgrade the characters driving ability . And of course the cars will stop on a dime if u buy the most expensive brake upgrades for all your cars , isn't that the f*cking point? u would waNt it to stop on a dime. I will be mad if I spent all that money on the car upgrades and the car didn't perform like a sports car. Plus I don't want the game to be too realistic , If it was u wouldnt get anywhere . Have u ever experienced L.A.'s traffic . And if I put all this money into a car , why would I want it to total every five minutes ? " oh I want a challenge " u say. then try landing the big carrier plane on the f*cking freeway.

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

[media][/media]

This is the reason why I think the driving in GTA V should have kept most of the same aspects from IV and why GTA IV driving still continues to have such a large fan base. Because even after 5 years of it's release, players still find new things to do they haven't thought of doing before, and that is what keeps the game alive and makes you come always come back to play it again.

In GTA V  it's not like that. Sure the driving might be kinda fun at first, but for how long are you going to play the game and enjoy the driving for? A week, month, couple of months? Why do I ask that? Because it seems like the driving was made to be enjoyable for a short period of time and not made to last long. I'd glady plan to play this game for 5 more years like I did with GTA IV, but it will be difficult to now due to the driving. There's no originality in things you can do with cars and bikes. I'm serious, like there's none!  Even though GTA IV is 5 years old, there's still some things that have to do with driving that most people wouldn't ever know about. For instance, different things in this video. I'm not going to explain everything, but if you pay close attention to some of the stunts the player in the video performed, you can see what I mean.

I just wish Rockstar could do go back and change handling and reprogram the physics for cars and bikes to make it feel exactly like IV in every aspect, but keep the same physics for V vehicles as well. So if you went to Los Santos Custom there could be an option to change the car/bike/truck/fourwheeler back to what GTA IV's driving would feel like so you get the best of both worlds. I think this is the only possible way to make both sides happy about the driving. I have a feeling it could work too. I just want Rockstar to try to look into this sometime if the word gets spread to them. 

So let's say you have 2 Comets, and you changed the handling to IV's handling on one. You would now have both of the exact same cars, except one feels like IV's Comet, and the other feels still like V's Comet.

This is a horrible idea. All u guys need is a retro mode online. That's it !!!! U r the minority. FOR THE THOUSAND f*ckING TIME , why would R* change it back to gta IV to only please 30% , does this make sense to u ? I prefer them to appeal to the masses it will beef up the online population. Embrace change ppl. If it was up to u guys we will still be playing The original gta with sh*tty graphics.
  • jagcivtec likes this

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:18 AM

The driving in GTA4 wasn't a simulation, although it leaned towards realism.  I think it was a little unforgiving but it was ok once you practiced and drove around for a while.

I understand they didn't want it to be so unforgiving this time in GTA5 and I agree it needed some tweaking,BUT....

Man they went too far!!! too arcady, no physics at all!! on road or off there is no friction factor at all, all vehicles are on rails, magnetized to the pavement and even worse to the dirt off road.

It feels so cheap!!!  Saints Row style arcady cheap handling.  It's absolutely worse than GTASA, Just Cause 2 has a nice balance of vehicle physics.

And then comes the damage modeling, totally pathetic!! Cars take no damage from severe rollovers and crashes, maybe some scuffing and that's it.  I thought it was ground braking in GTA4.  Why changed something so well designed? 

Come on, they try to simulate how long it takes to steal a car, break the window, hotwire, etc, takes nearly ten seconds, then they give us this cheap arcady driving?

I don't like one bit of it, it's cheap, really cheap vehicle mechanics and physics, and it will cause many games to end up in the used game shelves.

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

*Buzzer* WRONG! I don't give a crap if people don't like 5's driving, there's dozens upon dozens of people who don't and I haven't said a thing about it. Because it's fine and I don't care.

For the fifteenth time, it's when the fools go "Hurr Durr you noobs suck IV was better V is for noobs you suck 1v1 me" and that's what YOU DO. I then call you names in response. I've repeated this countless times now, how else can I explain it to you? If you begin sh*t talking, you're gonna hear from me. Otherwise, say you dislike V all you want, I don't care!

I'm sorry you're too slow to understand this, but it's a fact. Read the thread, I have only responded to those who began insulting first.

Care to try again?

People on both sides have been being douchebags about their viewpoints, and I haven't seen you calling people on it when they are ripping on GTA IV driving with ridiculous claims.

If you don't care then just leave. Idiots will post stupid things, and if no one pays attention to them then they go away. Yeah, we get plenty of stupid posts with people using hyperbole to attempt to make their points and acting like douchebags, but with you around we get pages full of you arguing with cocks about whether or not they are cocks, and that ends up making you just as much of a cock. It's not really an improvement.

I really don't care.

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

In GTA4 you needed skills to drive around at high speeds because physics laws applied, this time it's on rails.  Is that why too many people like the way it currently is?  No skills?

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

The majority of GTA fans agree that the gta4 had more realistic and satisfying vehicle damages.

Majority if fans ? The poll is in our face . How can u lie like this ?

I have to disagree here, voting doesn't make you a fan, having played ALL GTA games does, and he's right whe he says fans don't like GTA5 vehicle mechanics, the REAL GTA fans.  I personally despise it.

jagcivtec
  • jagcivtec

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

if1nd3.jpg

Am I the only one looking at this gif and finding it amazing?

It shows that driving in GTA IV was really fun and crazy while still being somewhat realistic. Just notice the way the car reacts when it lands, it looks incredible.

No ,man ! You are not alone!

Oh God, how I miss the bounce whenever a vehicle comes down from a jump, no matter how small. Instead, now, the moment a vehicle comes down from air, it's back on the rails and continues as if nothing had happened. The motorcycle handling and physics are a total abomination, they handled much better and had a more pleasing easthetic engine than on V, where each one of them looks and handles as though it has training wheels/stabilisers or whatever you wish to call them. TLaD had the best motorcycle physics in a game I've seen and played for a long time. When I finish V, it's shelved and I'm back to Liberty City. I was just looking forward to driving this whole new and beautifully realistic world that R* created, then they f*cked it up by giving us Mario Kart to drive around with.

Now that's vehicle physics in all it's glory!  Go home GTA5 vehicles, you're drunk.

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:04 AM Edited by Cartman28279, 29 September 2013 - 03:14 AM.

[media][/media]

This is a horrible idea. All u guys need is a retro mode online. That's it !!!! U r the minority. FOR THE THOUSAND f*ckING TIME , why would R* change it back to gta IV to only please 30% , does this make sense to u ? I prefer them to appeal to the masses it will beef up the online population. Embrace change ppl. If it was up to u guys we will still be playing The original gta with sh*tty graphics.

Plus I don't want the game to be too realistic , If it was u wouldnt get anywhere . Have u ever experienced L.A.'s traffic . And if I put all this money into a car , why would I want it to total every five minutes ? " oh I want a challenge " u say. then try landing the big carrier plane on the f*cking freeway.

So you're saying you want Rockstar to be a sellout and appeal to the masses which prefers a watered down driving system so that everyone can play it without a challenge? You have to be the most ignorant person on these forums. And how is that a bad idea? If you read what I said right, I didn't say to change the handling completely to IV's and get rid of V's handling. I said to add an option when customizing your car to change handling back to IV's, but you would still have an option to drive the car with V's handling. Then you would have more freedom in the game if you had a choice on which way you wanted the car to handle.

Also how the hell is that a reasonable thing to say when arguing about car damage?

"And if I put all this money into a car , why would I want it to total every five minutes ?"   

Don't total the car then! Learn to drive better and don't act like some helpless idiot who needs an indestructible vehicle to play the game. That is such a stupid thing to say. You pretty much just said, "I'm happy they finally added a feature that will fix my retardation when it comes to driving skills." No but really, that's the point you're making. You can't have a game like this where being on foot and fighting in combat is very realistic in a lot of ways, (dying by less gunshots hitting you, super smooth animations, falling, etc.) to driving an indestructible, no suspension vehicle. The transfer between the two doesn't make any sense, it's like two completely different games.

And lastly.

"oh I want a challenge " u say. then try landing the big carrier plane on the f*cking freeway. 

Are you joking? This makes you look like even more of a dumbass than what you actually are. We aren't f*cking talking about landing planes on bridges, we're talking about car handling. You can't make a comparison like that, it doesn't make any sense. Go preach your ignorance somewhere else.

"Embrace change ppl." Looks like you need to embrace some proper grammar. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users