Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

3,213 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2059 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (825 votes [40.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.07%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (570 votes [27.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.68%

3. Indifferent (90 votes [4.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.37%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (236 votes [11.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (338 votes [16.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Zinthaniel
  • Zinthaniel

Master Debater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:38 AM Edited by Zinthaniel, 28 September 2013 - 12:40 AM.

The difference between that ,gif and GTA 5 is that you'd be locked to the ground and smash through them head on without a scratch. Hyperbole, but you get what I mean.

The example simply displays that gtaiv and gtav cater to two different extremes. 

This thread will be endless because no one wants to agree to disagree. No one wants to accept differing opinions. 

You like what you saw in the gif? That's cool I respect that. But I don't and many other's didn't. 

The solution would be for Rockstar to create and option for both physics in the game. 

Edit - actually the gif is pretty bad ass, but the driving as a whole sucks. 

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:41 AM Edited by Mr_Leone, 28 September 2013 - 12:42 AM.

The difference between that ,gif and GTA 5 is that you'd be locked to the ground and smash through them head on without a scratch. Hyperbole, but you get what I mean.

The example simply displays that gtaiv and gtav cater to two different extremes. 

This thread will be endless because no one wants to agree to disagree. No one wants to accept differing opinions. 

You like what you saw in the gif? That's cool I respect that. But I don't and many other's didn't. 

The solution would be for Rockstar to create and option for both physics in the game. 

The .gif is not that big of a deal. I'd prefer more movement, more bounce, over less movement, and a car that's strapped to the ground. Pretty funny, though. Not every game is perfect, but I prefer IV's imperfections compared to V's.

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

yep it was and it is it makes since because you drive around 60% on single player and 90% at multiplayer 

just dont fukin tell ppl your a guy please and shut the hell up dude NEXT

Ok so what? I still prefer, as do many others, V's driving mechanics. You're opinion is not somehow the holy grail of truth. Get over it. 

And stop obsessing over my sex and my avatar. Make a coherent post. Troll. 

why stop obsessing over it if it was you you would be happy. youve already stopped fighing so i guess you got the point that we dont hate arcade handling but would prefer more IV handling and if you need explanations again go read the last pages

Zinthaniel
  • Zinthaniel

Master Debater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

why stop obsessing over it if it was you you would be happy. youve already stopped fighing so i guess you got the point that we dont hate arcade handling but would prefer more IV handling and if you need explanations again go read the last pages

Well you don't have to stop. It's up to you. Whatever gets your rocks off. 

I understand your opinion. And I've already said countless times that rockstar should add an option for both gaming styles. 

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

Well you don't have to stop. It's up to you. Whatever gets your rocks off. 

I understand your opinion. And I've already said countless times that rockstar should add an option for both gaming styles. 

its up to me yo fine

i never said taht exept on another thread where i said that it would be possible to get decent handling back when it gets to pc if they actualy listen to the forums but thats not gona happen cos they will milk the new consoles for another year

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

I never said it wasn't more realistic.  

But, 

one it's gtaiv is not realistic at all anyways. It added a in depth physics system, but it was not a simulator.

two, realism is not a necessity for all games. Some want it and demand it, and others don't. 
Prior to 4 Gta always struck a delicate line between realism and game logic, and it still was critically acclaimed despite it's gaming elements that contradict reality. 

Realistic and simulator are two different terms. It dont have to be a simulator to be realistic.

Based on your responses, it looks as if your acting like a female who need attention. You say one thing, then another. You say gta 4 was easy to master, then you say you spin out everytime you hit a corner.

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

I love how it's been 30+ pages, and not a single hater of IV's driving has:

1. Accurately explain why they thought IV's physics were bad without resorting to blatant lies ("it's impossible to turn!1!1!!1") or straight up subjective opinions

2. Explain why V's driving is better in a way that doesn't boil down to "It's not IV"

3. Engage IV fans in a way that doesn't involve mindless and puerile screaming and whining

4. Had the humility to entertain the idea that they simply sucked at driving

IV fans like me, Fasterthanyou, Dodeca, and others have calmly explained why IV's driving is better with facts (cars feel unique, suspension is actually realistic, etc.) and why V has failed on these fronts. We've been using facts and the fanboys just keep screaming at us.

V's physics are lacking. They are not a good fit for the game in any sense. IV took literally 5 seconds to learn if you used your brain and the brake. IV's cars were much more unique-feeling, and more involving to drive. It wasn't challenging--it was involving. When you were in a chase, you had to focus on driving incredibly hard. In V you can practically be asleep and still do well.

The suspension is f*cked. The grip is f*cked. Every car feels the exact same besides speed. They turn corners like F1 cars, they stick to the road like glue, they fly over bumps without any response. They barely are connected to the road, they basically glide over it. They introduced a ton of new supercars and classic exotics but what's the damn point is they all handle the same?

Arcade physics are fun when they have depth.

V has no depth. That is every problem with the physics summarized in one sentence.

1. Strawman, because no one is saying that that I can see. You're asking for a defense to something no one is saying, that's a fail.

2. Again, it's an opinion and "it fits the game" is that opinion. I have fun playing it and driving. It doesn't need a fancy explanation, that's where you're wrong. Dead wrong.

3. Oh really, is that why the only reason I'm here is because people like you and sonic_blue are literally ENDLESSLY POSTING "LOL U SUCK NOOBS 1v1 ME YOU DUN KNOW CARS U SUCK 4 IS REALISTIC AND BETTER 5 SUCKS YOU SUCK NOOBS!"? Really? Because that's YOUR side doing that. A LOT. Over. And. Over.

Why do you keep lying and ignoring that part? I'm curious. You threw the first stones, and you're acting like you did nothing wrong. It's madness.

4. Again, strawman. You're assuming people who didn't like 4's driving sucked at driving because you're convinced only good players liked it. You're full of crap, again, and ya'll were the ones starting crap with people, not us.

No one cares about your opinion, and it doesn't make it "a good argument" to detail it with BS. You're not getting the fact that you're the antagonistic people here whining and stamping your feet like children, and demanding everyone agree with you.

So again, you're wrong.

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

I never said it wasn't more realistic.  

But, 

one it's gtaiv is not realistic at all anyways. It added a in depth physics system, but it was not a simulator.

two, realism is not a necessity for all games. Some want it and demand it, and others don't. 
Prior to 4 Gta always struck a delicate line between realism and game logic, and it still was critically acclaimed despite it's gaming elements that contradict reality. 

Realistic and simulator are two different terms. It dont have to be a simulator to be realistic.

Based on your responses, it looks as if your acting like a female who need attention. You say one thing, then another. You say gta 4 was easy to master, then you say you spin out everytime you hit a corner.

See? Yet another 4 fanboy tossing out the insults.

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

Edit - actually the gif is pretty bad ass, but the driving as a whole sucks. 

I agree that this should be an option...  and it could be done with a "difficulty" setting. 

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

Take it how you want it, but your not reading what Im quoting.

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Take it how you want it, but your not reading what Im quoting.

I read it, and made a point that the other guy denies is happening.

You folks who want IV's driving back are insulting everyone who doesn't agree.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

I think the damage change was strategic but I think the handling change was heavy handed catering - it is quite nice once you're used to it though.

Yet, making in-air balance automatically tied to steering is unforgivable. There should be a button (brake) to rnable it.
  • PaulDPearl likes this

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

I can see why insults are being toss out. You have no idea of what of is going on here.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

No one cares about your opinion, and it doesn't make it "a good argument" to detail it with BS. You're not getting the fact that you're the antagonistic people here whining and stamping your feet like children, and demanding everyone agree with you.

So again, you're wrong.

Hoooooolllllyyyyy god all this projection.

You are the one who comes into this thread incessantly to bitch at anyone who doesn't like V's driving. YOU are the one "whining and stamping your feet" like a child whenever someone doesn't agree with you. YOU are the one demanding that everyone agrees with you. YOU are the one sh*tting up this thread with your fanboy BS.

YOU are the problem. Not me.

• Boxman108 likes this

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:41 AM Edited by MercyfulFate151, 28 September 2013 - 02:43 AM.

So again, you're wrong.

Hoooooolllllyyyyy god all this projection.

You are the one who comes into this thread incessantly to bitch at anyone who doesn't like V's driving. YOU are the one "whining and stamping your feet" like a child whenever someone doesn't agree with you. YOU are the one demanding that everyone agrees with you. YOU are the one sh*tting up this thread with your fanboy BS.

YOU are the problem. Not me.

*Buzzer* WRONG! I don't give a crap if people don't like 5's driving, there's dozens upon dozens of people who don't and I haven't said a thing about it. Because it's fine and I don't care.

For the fifteenth time, it's when the fools go "Hurr Durr you noobs suck IV was better V is for noobs you suck 1v1 me" and that's what YOU DO. I then call you names in response. I've repeated this countless times now, how else can I explain it to you? If you begin sh*t talking, you're gonna hear from me. Otherwise, say you dislike V all you want, I don't care!

I'm sorry you're too slow to understand this, but it's a fact. Read the thread, I have only responded to those who began insulting first.

Care to try again?

I can see why insults are being toss out. You have no idea of what of is going on here.

I understand it perfectly, you don't seem to though.

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

GTA V COUNTER STEERS FOR YOU.

That's all you need to know to realize that Rockstar intentionally dumbed down the driving mechanics.

I end up crashing in GTA V because when I do need to counter steer the game has already done it from me, and I end up over-correcting. 

When flying through the air I turn my wheels to get them in the correct direction for when I land.  I do that and my car ends up flipping in the air.

The fact that INSTINCTIVE corrections are detrimental to your driving experience is a real immersion breaker.  Counter steering shouldn't cause me to crash.  Setting my wheels to the correct angle while in the air shouldn't cause me to barrell roll.

• Rollin, Ermac., Boxman108 and 1 other like this

Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:10 AM

I understand it perfectly, you don't seem to though.

Im here to explain how gta 4 is more realistic and harder when driving when it comes to gta 5. Im here because, in gta 4 I have been challenged and master every vechile. With my set of skills, it was a let down to make something challenging, then 5 years later make it easier. So why are you here?

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

Although they completely kowtowed to the noobs who can't drive, I've realized that what bothers me even more than the driving is the flying of the helicopter. I spent a good six months learning how to utilize the helicopter ... not just flying, but killing people, causing task failures in Mafiya Work, and now to land quickly and precisely ... and how to take down other helis. I'm going to be changing to a different YouTube channel at some point, but you can see what I used to be able to do here ... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7-JigvjDkZ4.

Today, I finally decided to test the helicopter and see what I could do. The flying is annoying as hell, which I already knew ... despite making driving so much easier, they decided to make the heli much harder ... it constantly weaves from the air currents, which makes an already difficult vehicle to master nearly impossible. But now I've realized that they took away the ability to do everything else that I enjoyed doing. You can't clip people ... you can't flip vehicles ... and the blades no longer break ... now if you grind the blades, your heli simply explodes. In other words, they made the heli SO realistic, that they completely took away all of the fun.

I was really looking forward to fighting a group of helis in multiplayer, because we'd had different types of helis to choose from ... or terrorizing people on the ground because if they got out of their car on the top of a mountain, I'd clip them with my blades. But now the heli is nothing but transportation ... and it's not even very good at that.

Honestly, I'd be okay with them keeping the stupid-easy driving mechanics if they fixed the heli so that those of us who love flying could continue to do so.

• Boxman108 likes this

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

I'm still divided between iv and V driving mechanics.

At first i hated iv but after a while i got pretty good at it and loved it but it had some really annoying aspects to it.

Cars tipped over way to easily, it's almost like they didn't weight at all. And high tier cars handled too crappy and seemed like acceleration was a bit too off.

V fixed this problems but brought some new ones, I feel the cars accelerate too fast and the braking is too good, low tier cars handle too well, the damage was reduced and for some reason, whenever sometimes when i drive too fast and almost lose control, i try to take it back but it seems the game does it for me too and i end up crashing.

I wish rockstar released a quick fix for this shiznit. Make the braking more realistic, take the slidey cars cheat code, make it less "powerful" and make it standar for all cars. Finally increase damage for cars that don't have armor.

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Honestly, I'd be okay with them keeping the stupid-easy driving mechanics if they fixed the heli so that those of us who love flying could continue to do so.

IM not ok with any of it! People who wanted this sh*t have 1000 games like midnight club and need for speed....

I would go play somethng else if it felt like the supreme pyhsics of gta. But there is nothing else like gta4 thats what was so fantastic about it! it was unique but now is just the same as every mainstream pile of sh*t

dose any one else think its strange 1/3 of fans dont like it or think its terrible! 1/3 of 15 mollion people is 5 million people potentialy are as bummed out as I am.

Please for the love of god who thought this game was ok to release to the public?

• Boxman108 likes this

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

What we have here is an amalgamation of

RDR midnight club PilotWings64 & wave racer ( a little crazy taxi too)

-inVADER-
  • -inVADER-

Have you met my lovely wife, Laura? No! Well, unfortunatel

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

IV takes 5 minutes to master, but has years of depth in discovering the unique feel of each car, and racing.

That's  what make it GREAT game !

PaulDPearl
  • PaulDPearl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:25 AM Edited by PaulDPearl, 28 September 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Although they completely kowtowed to the noobs who can't drive, I've realized that what bothers me even more than the driving is the flying of the helicopter. I spent a good six months learning how to utilize the helicopter ... not just flying, but killing people, causing task failures in Mafiya Work, and now to land quickly and precisely ... and how to take down other helis. I'm going to be changing to a different YouTube channel at some point, but you can see what I used to be able to do here ... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7-JigvjDkZ4.

Today, I finally decided to test the helicopter and see what I could do. The flying is annoying as hell, which I already knew ... despite making driving so much easier, they decided to make the heli much harder ... it constantly weaves from the air currents, which makes an already difficult vehicle to master nearly impossible. But now I've realized that they took away the ability to do everything else that I enjoyed doing. You can't clip people ... you can't flip vehicles ... and the blades no longer break ... now if you grind the blades, your heli simply explodes. In other words, they made the heli SO realistic, that they completely took away all of the fun.

I was really looking forward to fighting a group of helis in multiplayer, because we'd had different types of helis to choose from ... or terrorizing people on the ground because if they got out of their car on the top of a mountain, I'd clip them with my blades. But now the heli is nothing but transportation ... and it's not even very good at that.

GTA:SA, GTA: Vice City and GTA: III all had excellent driving and flying mechanics and controls.

Why they changed it in GTA: IV is beyond me (except the part about the enhanced physics, that part I understand where they were going, but agree with those who didn't like it that it was too bouncy, etc).

The only thing GTA ever got wrong,(Before GTA:IV) is the over the shoulder view. It sucks, it's always sucked, it always will suck.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

I pushed the red button!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:45 AM Edited by DarkKingBernard, 28 September 2013 - 08:46 AM.

You people should stop comparing it to IV only and look at SA for once. V's vehicle handling looks like downgraded SA vehicle handling. If what they say about V is true (all the cars feel the same) then SA already sh*ts over it.

Sli
  • Sli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

if1nd3.jpg

Am I the only one looking at this gif and finding it amazing?

It shows that driving in GTA IV was really fun and crazy while still being somewhat realistic. Just notice the way the car reacts when it lands, it looks incredible.
  • friendly luggage, -inVADER- and Boxman108 like this

Vin89
  • Vin89

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

You know what? After playing this game every day for a considerable amount of hours I can say this: I can live with it more or less. Driving sports cars fast is really challenging, especially those who don't have perfect controls. The 9F's rear sometimes breaks out while maneauvering at high speeds despite it feeling really good most of the time. Some cars handle just right and some don't. Of course, to some extent everything is arcadey but you don't feel it that often. 

What I really want to say is off road. This is some serious thing. And not even in the PS2 era this was possible. I mean you can get into almost any car and drive up a mountain. Cars take any gradients without effort. I don't think this is any kind of "fun" because this is just easy mode for real children and it's not necessary because you can take an offroad vehicle and look for gradients that are possible to climb as there are enough of them. 

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:21 AM Edited by -Morbid-, 28 September 2013 - 11:22 AM.

*Buzzer* WRONG! I don't give a crap if people don't like 5's driving, there's dozens upon dozens of people who don't and I haven't said a thing about it. Because it's fine and I don't care.

For the fifteenth time, it's when the fools go "Hurr Durr you noobs suck IV was better V is for noobs you suck 1v1 me" and that's what YOU DO. I then call you names in response. I've repeated this countless times now, how else can I explain it to you? If you begin sh*t talking, you're gonna hear from me. Otherwise, say you dislike V all you want, I don't care!

I'm sorry you're too slow to understand this, but it's a fact. Read the thread, I have only responded to those who began insulting first.

Care to try again?

People on both sides have been being douchebags about their viewpoints, and I haven't seen you calling people on it when they are ripping on GTA IV driving with ridiculous claims.

If you don't care then just leave. Idiots will post stupid things, and if no one pays attention to them then they go away. Yeah, we get plenty of stupid posts with people using hyperbole to attempt to make their points and acting like douchebags, but with you around we get pages full of you arguing with cocks about whether or not they are cocks, and that ends up making you just as much of a cock. It's not really an improvement.

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

GTA is not a game that is just for car enthusiast, it never was.   That makes no since to expect Rockstar to cater to only one group of people. The driving in gta plays a heavy role, so it shouldn't be enjoyable for just a few gamers and hated by the rest. 

A game does not need to be "realistic" to be of good quality. It needs to be fun. I find V fun, so In my opinion it's a great quality game. To say otherwise is your opinion on what standards you hold games to. But your standard is not the golden one. 

You can find my opinion to be ridiculous  I find it ridiculous that you liked the buttery cars in gtaiv. Driving down the roads of liberty city and turning should not result in a spin out damn near everytime no matter the speed you are going. 

GTA is also not a game for shooting game enthusiasts, should we just have auto aim be the only available option so that it's easier for the people who aren't into shooters? It's also not a game for flight enthusiasts, should they simplify the flight mechanics? Following that logic, everything would be watered down to cater to the group who isn't good at/into that kind of thing.

I don't think the game should have hyper-realistic driving mechanics, just an evolution of what we had in GTA IV. It was already a major step forward from a technical standpoint, but it needed refinement. With that refinement, it could have been made more forgiving for people who couldn't handle it in IV, but also kept its depth and diversity for those who do enjoy the driving.

That last sentence you wrote either shows that you are exaggerating greatly in an attempt to validate your standpoint, or that you are really horrible at GTA IV driving to a point where one has to question your ability to understand basic physics and learn from your own mistakes. If the latter is the case, then one would also have to question your ability to comprehend basic things and wonder whether or not you should even be allowed to speak about something that you clearly have no clue about. I don't think you are that stupid, so why do you need to use such hyperbole?

• B Dawg likes this

?-_-?
  • ?-_-?

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Okay....

I had my own poll 1-2 weeks ago , most people voted that they don't like the current thingy , but my opinion......Which i believe that is really important......is.....Uhmm??? 

Oh ye... :p

I really believe that this might be hard for ps3 or there wasn't time for rockstar to do such a thing or else i don't really know what else might happened but i doubt that rockstar would NOT do this if they could.

And my opinion on this is :

Realism....I do like it , i really loved IV ( car handling ) and stuff...

It's just..................................It's not two f*cking different things. ( oh my english suck D: )

They are 2 different things , the thing is that not all cars should be ( i'm talking ALWAYS about handling )  like IV , some yes but some other ( SPOR CARS LIKE PORSCHE ) should be arcadey because this is how they are in real life.

A nissan car eh...f*ck my ingrish....

Ah , A MONSTER truck the handling should obvious be like IV and ofcourse it should have an EXTREME feeling of sespunsion ( i'm pretty sure that i wrote it wrong , but lazy to open google tran).

A ferrari from the other side do NOT have suspension ( i did not opened , i just remembered how to write it right :p ).

This is ofcourse a great issue but another thing that  rockstar f*cked it and i'm rly sad about , is car damage for which i also have done quite the topics about this issue because i wanted it to be improved.

So since my english suck , i'll talk with examples ( well i can find the proper words but it'll take hours ).

GRAN TURISMO 5 Car damage development was.....Well can't describe it , but more than excelent , that's for sure.

I know that it's extremely hard to do such a thing but i did not really want ( not on ps3 at least because i believe that is not possible in open world game ) to be like that , but for certain a LITTLE BIT BETTER from iv , and instead it became WORSE from SR IV.

What can i say....I despiting also the sad fact that ni**ers did NOT put casino. ~_~ Or poker or other funny activities.

Another sad fact is ( for me :p ) that my ps3 do not have internet and in any case that rockstar succeed on improving with patch any of current gta v probs , i won't be able to have them D:

Car damage was a real disapoint for me. I was expecting to see the brains of f*cking rockstar to ATTEMPTING at least to do the most realistic damage development after you step with a tank over a car.

It happened exactly the opposite.

Well , my bad. I have years of experience in video games , i should've been waiting such a thing.

Even if we are talking about rockstar.

-inVADER-
  • -inVADER-

Have you met my lovely wife, Laura? No! Well, unfortunatel

• Members
  • Bulgaria

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

if1nd3.jpg

Am I the only one looking at this gif and finding it amazing?

It shows that driving in GTA IV was really fun and crazy while still being somewhat realistic. Just notice the way the car reacts when it lands, it looks incredible.

No ,man ! You are not alone!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users