Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,862 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2611 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1023 votes [39.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.18%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (730 votes [27.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.96%

3. Indifferent (121 votes [4.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (310 votes [11.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.87%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (427 votes [16.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote
kvbrock82
  • kvbrock82

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

My main gripe is that the controls are SO sensitive and the cars just dont seem to have any weight to them.

A couple of examples:

- Using the brakes when cruising puts you in reverse in the blink of an eye.

- Slamming the brakes at high speed doesnt even cause the car to lock up.. in fact there arent even any skidmarks even though you went from 100mph into reverse within 10 metres..

- Over and understeer is not portrayed correctly, in fact you cant really slide into corners mixing up the braking and accelerating to powerslide..

- Hard breaking isnt portrayed in the suspensions. Slamming the breaks doesnt push the front of the car down like it did in four. In fact weight distribution is all wrong..

Im really trying to like it, but i cant I cant help thinking that the driving in 4 was much more fun(and much more realisitc). The amount of damage the cars can take doesnt really bother me, but in gta4 i even used to enjoy the long drives from mission to mission because the drive felt realistic. That element just isnt there anymore.

(This is just my honest opinion..)

• birakira, Zigjim and DK42 like this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

They are not quite as bad as they seemed in the leaks because some details are very subtle, but honestly they are still nowhere near as fun as IV's were.  I don't see why people thing more simplified or easier mechanics are more fun - do they just want an easy, casual game?  Why not go play Saints Row?

I can't even really compare it to Midnight Club LA - at least in that, drifting was essential or you'd mess up a bit and have a ways to go to catch up again.  That and acceleration wasn't near instantaneous.

Some of the old dusty sh*tty trucks and stuff are okay, more so offroading and not playing as Franklin, but the sports cars and bikes seem to be far too simplified.  If you want to spin out or drift you have to pretty much deliberately do so.  You have to somehow be extremely awful at games in general in order to mess up or crash in this game at all with these.

• Mojito and Jrjohnbarn1 like this

Nemesis2252
  • Nemesis2252

Arch Enemy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

i really enjoyed driving in GTA IV. i could drive about LC for hours with no destination and never get bored just because it was so fun. GTA V doesnt have the same feel to it. its not as bad as i thought it would be, but its still pretty bad

• Jrjohnbarn1, RPhilMan1, Pioneer and 1 other like this

Mojito
  • Mojito

Homie

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

yea man, if i wanted sh*tty handling i'll just go play saints rows

• Jrjohnbarn1 likes this

sesamtamam
  • sesamtamam

Cu*t

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

This driving mechanic needs to change, otherwise alot of casual GTA players will have a bad time playing this game.

The driving is too awful, as well as the car damage. There is simply a huge leap in the game, a leap of realism and arcade which makes the game awful. Change it, or make it an optional patch.

• Jrjohnbarn1 likes this

PatHuf
  • PatHuf

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

i buyed every colletor pack of gta since gta 3 but this year its a horrible nightmare... the driving... what a waste, im so disapointed I dont know if ill buy the next one in 5 years, affraid of what ill see, i just paid 200bucks for a really poor driving game, i buyed sleeping dogs 6 month ago and i hated that arcade driving style and surprise! same bullsh*t on gta5 where the f**** are we?  im about too stop playing gta because that destroy my discovering experience going right to left dont see where the f**k i go, rockstar lost the only point that keep me on gtaIV. I am really upset, I hope rockstar will do something about that

• Pioneer likes this

booyakasha
  • booyakasha

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

The driving mechanics and damage modeling are both pretty terrible, Piramic for example described the problems really well on page 1. There's no learning curve involved when it comes to driving, the cars just grip like they're glued to the road. Really difficult to kick the back out and go sliding around a corner, as mentioned the only way to really do this is with the hand brake and usually that ends up in spinning out.

It doesn't have to be ultra-realistic, that's never been the point with GTA games but the fun element has been eliminated. Haven't had time to try the sliding cars cheat yet, hopefully that will fix some of the problems. 

I also can't believe what they've done to the car damage. You can crash into cars head on at speed and they both just stop with broken headlights and a few dents. I stole a car in Vinewood, threw it off one of the cliffs there three times, body panels fall off but the car still drives just fine. 

Seems like they've just made driving as easy as possible for everyone so there's no learning curve whatsoever. One of the most fun things about GTA IV was to slide around corners and trying to keep it under control, doing 180s, creating huge crashes and seeing the cars crumple up spectacularly. 

Great game but one of the major attractions of previous GTA games has been sacrificed. 

• Jrjohnbarn1, Zigjim and Pioneer like this

the_samich
  • the_samich

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

When IV came out and you got to talk to a R* employee when you killed them online, I asked what the hell was up with the driving? His response was that they wanted to make it more realistic. I said, realistic? When's the last time you saw a guy walking down the street mowing people down with a bazooka but you want to make it "realistic". I was kinda being a smart ass to him but my point is, I don't want to have to wonder how many times I'm going to have to replay a long mission because my car blew up from too much damage and losing who I was chasing. I like how tight it is now and think it should stay the same.
  • GTKING1st likes this

Showshone
  • Showshone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

What i dont get is why there is not a single mention about this in online reviews. At least not that i have seen. 

• the_samich and booyakasha like this

the_samich
  • the_samich

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

You're right, in everything I have watched and read, the driving dynamics were NEVER mentioned.

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

Physics of the GTA has always been progress towards realism, GTA SA was a little more advanced physics than Vice City, especially notable improvements were in the aspect of off road and lifting up the hill. GTA 4 was a new level of realism and fun. But none of that GTA5, it looks as if GTA5 is made for people who will take the game for 2 weeks and put it on the shelf.

GTA5 does not have to study the game world, conquer the mountain in a jeep, and does not give the pleasure of skiing. Physics off road - is missing, the physics of accidents is missing, the physics of driving - not available. What is this game? On the the shooting of the helicopter with a Gatling gun and police chases in the style of NFS hot pursuit?
if I was 10 years old, I would have been happy, but this game is 18 +, violence, gangsterism, drugs, sex,  bad people.

• Pioneer likes this

damian001
  • damian001

Vice City fanboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:48 AM Edited by damian001, 18 September 2013 - 08:48 AM.

lol..even the Los Santos map was designed specifically for the arcady handling guys... all those right turn yield signs allow you to make high speed turns without having to corner them.

The handling isn't going to change when the map is designed for fast turns.

cyaninternetdog
  • cyaninternetdog

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:12 AM Edited by cyaninternetdog, 18 September 2013 - 09:14 AM.

I dont like the new driving mechanics personally, too noob friendly, the car damage is rubbish also, can be going full speed and crash but the damage on the car doesnt reflect the impact. Also if you flip your car you can get it upright too easily. Love the game and the way it looks just I think R* have sanitised the driving too much, needed something halfway between this and gta iv. The cars just dont seem to have any life in them.

cyaninternetdog
  • cyaninternetdog

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

This driving mechanic needs to change, otherwise alot of casual GTA players will have a bad time playing this game.

The driving is too awful, as well as the car damage. There is simply a huge leap in the game, a leap of realism and arcade which makes the game awful. Change it, or make it an optional patch.

The driving is too easy, perfect for casual gamers, I have been racing on the ranked races in gta IV for years and you needed skill to compete at the top, GTA V just feels like anybody can pick it up and drive.

JoeM
  • JoeM

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Car's just need a bit less grip and a little bit more suspension travel.

Hitting the crub in IV, the car would bounce nicely - In V it just goes up and back down, there is no sense of weight to the car's.

The damage is fine, if it was the same as IV your car would be dead after 1 hit from the police, who might I add are an utter pain - how when your in a police car can they be going about 50mph faster than you (same car) and ram you up the ass.

• saudi-driftXpert likes this

Big_al877
  • Big_al877

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Driving is ok I guess, I don't remember IV to compair it to but I can say that the flying controls are terrible, the helicopter is the worst I have ever used. It wouldn't be hard to copy Aircraft controls from battlefield 3. It may take a little longer to learn but the rewards would be much better then the current controls

gevebe
  • gevebe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ok, so alot of people are getting pretty upset about the driving mechanics in GTA V. Lets try and keep it all in here so we can avoid 20 different threads about this subject. Thanks.

Please sign the pettition on change.org

Lets see if we can make a difference!

http://chn.ge/19agus0

Wug Shug
  • Wug Shug

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

GTA IV was perfect in my opinion. all cars had body roll some more then others and was realistic. GTA V is a full on arcade game compared to IV. GTA IV was not the best, but extremely fun. 

For people who say "just flicking right to left in real life doesnt make u drift........" have CLEARLY never driven a rwd car.. Flicking is exaclty how you kick the back out. 

STOP DICK RIDING GTA AND ADMIT DRIVING SUCKING IN EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE WAY IN GTA V. coutersteering... there is no countersteering.. ANY suspension work, NONE, no body roll in any of the cars.. the camera just moves more for SUV's... as soon as u kick the back out by handbrake (CUZ THERES NO oTHER WAY) and try to countersteer u spin out.. EVEN RAIN SUCKS

No one has to always agree with your stupid ass opinion. Your opinion doesn't rule all, so no, I'm not dick riding GTA, and I LOVE the driving. Turn on the slider cars cheat if you want GTA IV handling back.

GothamWinterWarz
  • GothamWinterWarz

Real Dukes Resident

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Rockstar just needs to give the players a physics option. That way everyone will be happy.

• booyakasha, Pioneer and saudi-driftXpert like this

D-Bomb129
  • D-Bomb129

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

I love how it is now. In previous games, I've always been annoyed with how easy vehicles get totaled and flip over. I do agree that sometimes destroying cars as much as possible was amazing, I'll happily sacrafice that.

RoDa070
  • RoDa070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

online this will mess it up trust me nobody can steer normaly so you'll have drive by's with 100miles a hour etc well you could always do a drive by in a truck :)

RoDa070
  • RoDa070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

And by activating the slidey cars ( cheats ) you cant get xbox achievements anymore, i think

RoDa070
  • RoDa070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Just gotta wait for an other game developer to copy gta5 and bring the "better" driving physichs back saints row 5 where you at

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

I kept playing GTA 4 up to a month ago thanks to online racing. Despite some flaws (extra top speed grinding small walls, riding walls) the handling was excellent.

I planned doing the same this time around. But no way I will, it´s pointless racing under these conditions. I´ll end the story mode and then probably shelve this thing.

zakace
  • zakace

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I really enjoyed IV handling but im enjoying the handling in V too so im fine with it :) 

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

motorbike riding is very poor now. 

SausageInACan
  • SausageInACan

كافر

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

Why do people think IV mechanics were amazing?
mvVsAdv.jpg
  • blackrooster_ and ELSTYLO like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Because they WERE. Cars took time to stop. Cars took time to get to top speed. Cars had a reasonable limit for lateral grip. The steering felt right at every speed. They couldn´t be controlled on air. They couldn´t be fliped around after an accident.

It wasn´t perfect, but it was excellent. Instead of improving it by fixing these annoyances (like these you post), they totally dumbed it down.

• lastmanonearth, Boxman108, booyakasha and 1 other like this

JoeM
  • JoeM

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

Why do people think IV mechanics were amazing?

Because car's had suspension & they felt like they some weight to them. IV wasnt great, TBOGT was much better. V just feels a bit to dumbed down, you can drive flat out through the middle of LS without crashing & turn a sharp 90 in a suv without any problems. Also off roading in V lacks any real charm.

• lastmanonearth likes this

FranklinsFro
  • FranklinsFro

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

I wouldn't say it was a "huge improvement on GTA IV" - mainly because I can't remember GTA IV - but I definitely like it. Yes it's a bit "arcady", but it makes for good fun, particularly with handbrake turns!

A lot of research into gamers habitts and opinions obviously went into the driving system so they wouldn't have made it this way if they didn't know it would be a success.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users