Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,106 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2256 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (899 votes [39.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.85%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (627 votes [27.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.79%

3. Indifferent (100 votes [4.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.43%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (259 votes [11.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (371 votes [16.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote
psgamingchannel
  • psgamingchannel

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Amazing!

Seventh Shin
  • Seventh Shin

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

That left turn at 0:49 mark, my god.

Derangedxzombie
  • Derangedxzombie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

GTA 4's cars were like sluggish jelly on ice, braking and handbraking in good time would still leave you sliding into a wall, terrible.

The mechanics in GTA 5 are more akin to midnight club, and are a lot more enjoyable, a mechanic should always be fun, never an annoyance or a chore.

Seventh Shin
  • Seventh Shin

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

Has R* made a comment on the driving yet?

Look at Mafia II, it had the option to switch from Sim and casu... arcade.

MercyfulFate151
  • MercyfulFate151

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Mafia 2 was a game where you played for 10 seconds and sat there the rest of it.

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

Ugh, this thread has become almost useless thanks to these idiots arguing about arguing. Barely any conversation about the actual pros/cons to aspects of the driving, etc.

People on both sides of the argument need to stop exaggerating. Every time someone says "BUT THE CARZ HANDEL TEH SAEM EVIN WIN THAY WEELS FALL OFF"* about V they look just as stupid as the people who say "BUT U NEED 2 B SLO 2 LIEK 5 MPH 2 TERN" about IV.

* I agree that a wheel falling off doesn't have as much of an effect as it should, but it does have some effect.

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Amazing!

This video sums up exactly what is wrong with the driving physics in GTA V. The cars don't turn in the normal sense of the word, they swivel about the centre axis of the vehicle which gives them that instant 90' turn-on-a-dime steering that lets you take sharp corners without having to use the brakes. Horrible, the vehicles have no weight to them whatsoever.

Rockstar stripped all the joy, fun and laughs from the driving with this game when they dumbed down the driving physics. No, let me rephrase that, they went full retard on the driving physics...you never go full retard!

Once I completely finish the game 100%, there's nothing here that will make me want to come back to it in the same way that I keep going back to GTA IV, TLaD and BoGT to experience the fun and exhilarating edge-of-the-seat driving and laugh at the rag-doll physics in those games.

• sonic_blue likes this

Seventh Shin
  • Seventh Shin

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Mafia 2 was a game where you played for 10 seconds and sat there the rest of it.

But there was a toggle for crap driving physics.

mooonlights
  • mooonlights

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Virtual driving before a monitor always feel a bit slower compared to reality

It's mostly because of unrealistic car damage.

It would feel faster if the car (a) deformed realistically on high speed impact, and (b) felt as though it had more weight/momentum.

When you're driving a cardboard box on wheels like in V, of course driving even 100 mph is going to feel pretty slow.

Actually our perception fo speed is definately linked to the amount of 'road' we see in peripheral. On a motorcycle IRL, going 25 mph feels like going 50 in a car. I think it's about the size of the frame and how much you can see as you drive.

While this is true visually (FPS view looks a lot faster than TPS view), the 'feeling' of going fast also lies in our intuition about the physics. We know going 100 mph with realistic physics is going to do more damage and harm than 100 mph with V's cardboard box physics. So we assume going such a speed with realistic physics, even though they're identical, is 'faster' in our minds.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

sucka fo love

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

I haven't pulled off any flips on motorcycles in V, but the dodgey-ness in IV during a flip was caused by holding on to the gas for some reason. If you let go you can execute a clean flip.

Holding the gas makes the rear wheel spin the air. The torque and force if the wheel spinning will cause the motorcyle to resist being flipped. Basic physics.

Well consider me schooled. Has anyone tested if this is present in V or not?

apoapsis1001
  • apoapsis1001

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

the car driving mechanics dont bother me at all, its the motorcycle handling and physics that put me off. toooo responsive in my opinion. i was hoping they would have found a nice middle ground between gta4 and what they did with gta5, but instead they just jacked that sh*t up, most likely from all of the people who sucked at gta4 and wrecked too much, then complained that is was too hard. aside from that one minor detail, the game is f*cking fantastic. 

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

GTA 4's cars were like sluggish jelly on ice, braking and handbraking in good time would still leave you sliding into a wall, terrible.

The mechanics in GTA 5 are more akin to midnight club, and are a lot more enjoyable, a mechanic should always be fun, never an annoyance or a chore.

handbraking............kill all the ppl then :sui:

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

damn the games handling is so bad its worse than tdu2 the cars is like having 1 wheel at the middle of the car without any suspension its so bad it basicly ruined all singleplayer for me, fun is gone gta multiplayer is gona suck the only ones liking this handling is ppl that havent played gta4 all of them with new accounts this is such a step back from gta4 that i prob will be continuing playing gta4 the world isnt that impressive either and the xbox graphics is like borderlands sh*t

only way to keep ppl happy is fixing handling and graphics for the pc version and il throw my xbox in the bin

• Rollin likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

I've been doing real racing (me vs. time, setting a checkpoint) and I gotta say - I f*cking LOVE the handling! The air-balance is still fuct and the damage is cartoony but the racing is awesome! Cars anyway.

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

Lol . Give it up ppl . U WILL NEVER WIN THIS DEBATE. gta V driving is fine.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

People who don't want to talk shouldn't talk.

psgamingchannel
  • psgamingchannel

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

Once I completely finish the game 100%, there's nothing here that will make me want to come back to it in the same way that I keep going back to GTA IV, TLaD and BoGT to experience the fun and exhilarating edge-of-the-seat driving and laugh at the rag-doll physics in those games.

this is fairly accurate.  I agree.  The super cars actually seem to take some damage and they slide a little, the ebrake actually lets you slide where it does nothing in the slower crappy cars.  Between the crappy driving and the police that are super easy to get away from and pretty much impossible to have a firefight with there is no draw to continue playing like previous games leading the cops on high speed chases and shooting it out with them.  In this game you have to lead them on slow speed chases, lol! You cant go straight very long or they ram the crap out of you and you cant turn to fast or you lose them so easy.  you cant stop and have a shootout because they instantly spawn very close very fast and keep coming so fast that you cant reload your gun fast enough.  If you shoot down the choppers they spawn instantly pretty close as well so you always have the choppers shooting at you, there is no break like there was before where they spawned somewhere else and took a few seconds to fly to you, these bastards spawn as soon as the other one dies and withing shooting range, I was up on a roof shooting them down and as soon as one blew up another one would pop up over there and I was like, WTF, seriously dudes? what joke.

Im not sure if my game is bugged or if its by design but it seems to be a bug. No cops come if i carjack 10 cars in a row in a busy street with tons of witnesses, but if i go stand by a cop he shoots me instantly, pedestrians also either call the cops on me or start hitting me as soon as i get near them.  the cops are always ramming and shooting the car behind me when im driving around, my stock market prices never change. this started happening sometime towards the end of the story line missions.  i started a new game and I already own that extra garage you buy for 30K and it was empty except for one special car, edgely R8.  at ammunation all the guns are still unlocked and i get the advanced whatever thats the only gun over on the right side wall for free, whats up with that?  Thats gotta be a bug or corruption of some kind.  I cant even start a new game without problems, might have to uninstall and reinstall the whole game and there is no guarantee it wont happen again, but something it screwed up and its not really even playable anymore.

Cartman28279
  • Cartman28279

"Not now chief, I'm in the f**king zone"

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hey guys, not sure if someone has said anything about this idea I'm about to talk about yet in the forum or thought about it yet, but anyways here we go. 

Like many other people at the moment, I am not the biggest fan of 
the driving in GTA V due to a few reasons.. Here's my experience 
with it so far.

===========================

So, when I got home from the Midnight release for V, I was extremely eager to play, literately shaking from excitement as I started to install the game. just seeing the loading screens were making me go crazy!I began the first mission absolutely falling in love the with the game, everything was so smooth and well done, the running, jumping, shooting, animations, cut-scenes, voice acting, atmosphere, the way the game was performing on console(Good frame rate, no lagging etc.), and detail in everything about the map. The game was just jaw dropping. But the moment I was waiting for the most was about to happen, and that was driving a car. So right when I stepped in it I was scared to take off because I didn't know if the driving was ruined or not, but when I took off, I wasn't angry at the driving, I kinda liked it at first. Then the next main mission where you steal the cars with Franklin made me a little skeptical for a few minutes as I started driving, but l began to feel better about the driving the moment when you hit the jumps on the road coming around the apartments in Vespucci Canals. It seemed like the physics still felt the same like GTA IV when you jumped off the ground but felt like they had more grip and were a lot touchier in what I experienced so far with driving.

But after I played more and more I noticed the driving seemed a lot more arcadish and dumbed down from GTA IV's driving. Seems as if they made it too easy to drive, and now I'm starting to like the cars less and less everyday because it feels like there's not as much of a challenge driving and less freedom with the way the car controls in terms of the physics of it. Also car damage has really been taken a step back, the damage looks great though like in GTA IV when a car gets damaged. That is if you're able to get it damaged that much, because you have to do a lot to it to make it like that.

The suspension on the vehicles don't even feel right, and it has little to no suspension the way a car or bike horrifically drives over small ledges. And don't even get me started on the bikes, I am more than disappointed with the way motorcycles on the game handle. Wheelies are a lot harder to do now and when you do manage to do a wheelie and turn a bit, the wheelie drops instantly.  -__-

I mean really? Aside from that, the bikes feel like the way Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row bikes handle, I can't stand it. The bike physics were so much more enjoyable and well done in GTA IV because there were loads of different tricks you could learn while riding them, and they were actually a challenge to drive at first, but once you learned how to drive a lot better it felt great knowing the things you could do with it. Sure it was kinda unrealistic with the driving on GTA IV with a few things, but it was done so much better. On GTA V, you can barely do anything on the bikes now, they're so grippy and touchy, and when you get air with the bike it takes forever to get the bike the do a flip or spin. Same things with the cars, it doesn't feel like there's suspension on the bikes either. I don't see why they did this to the bikes. And being a stunter on GTA, I'm extremely disappointed the way bikes and cars bump on here. Cars, Trucks, etc are almost impossible to bump with in most situations, but there's still a lot to do with them. While bumping is still there with the bikes, it's an absolute pain trying to stunt with them because of the physics and handling, and it doesn't feel as fluid and enjoyable. And if stunters want to think of new ideas and tricks with bikes, there won't be many original or interesting ways to stunt since the bikes are so arcady and predictable now. And btw to make everything clear, I'm talking about motocycles not bicycles, even though the bicycles have problems too like not being able to manual, ride backwards after coming down a ramp of slope, can't move while doing a wheelie, and other little things like that. But other than that I think the bicycles were done pretty well. Now, I know you can probably tell I really like the way IV's vehicles handled way more by reading this, but I really don't hate the driving completely. It's mainly bikes that need to definitely be worked on even though there's some issues there with cars. But some people really like the driving a lot on here, so you can't just change everything all together. There has to be a way to make people who like GTA IV , and GTA V handling/physics happy, but what could Rockstar do?

Back to that idea I have to sort all these driving complaints and possibly make about everyone happy!

So listen here, what of Rockstar went and reprogrammed the physics, handling and suspension for all the cars/bikes that were on GTA IV that came to V to make them feel EXACTLY the same in every aspect of handling. For all the cars that were on GTA IV now on V, don't change traction, don't change damage, don't change the way the vehicles react after hitting small bumps, don't change the way the car slides, don't change the way you control vehicles with the analog stick in mid air, DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING TO MAKE IT FEEL DIFFERENT FROM THE WAY IT HANDLED ON IV. And when they have the ones from GTA IV converted, they could change handling in some newer cars added in GTA V so it would have IV's physics as well. So it would be comparable to Rockstar adding those newer cars from GTA V onto GTA IV and making them work with that game. Back to the plan.

Now, lets say they had everything changed right now and the same driving from IV was in V. We could all agree that the game wouldn't work because some missions where you have to drive and follow different routes in a certain amount of time, racing people on singleplayer, or whatever else would break the game since the driving had a complete overhaul and was changed.

But what if those cars would just work aside from the missions, and also work online? (Same thing could go for missions online as well) 
If it actually is possible to change most cars and bikes back to how they felt on GTA IV, there could be a solution to make it work with the V cars. 

OK so, here's how it could be possible. Lets say you just found a Premier, Infernus, Vader, PCJ, or whatever other car/bike that was on GTA IV and right now the car handles with GTA V's driving, and you decide to take it to Los Santos Customs. Now when you get into the building, there could be a new option they added to where you can change the cars handling to the way it was on IV, with an option called "classic driving", "realistic driving", or just something in that manner. When you change it, it's just the same exact car, except now it handles completely different. So it's kinda like GTA IV's driving on whole new map. By doing that, Rockstar wouldn't have to change the handling for every car in the game and keep it set to one certain way. Because now people could drive vehicles the way they drive on GTA V, and other people drive vehicles they way they drive on GTA IV.

If this is possible, this would really fix a lot of the arguing going on about driving, because for them to just go back and completely change things with the current driving would be really hard like I said earlier. It would interfere with the missions and other things in the game where driving is key.

If we had this, it would give the player an option to choose the way he or she wants to drive and it wouldn't interfere with missions or story giving us so much more freedom in the game. Rockstar could also do something to where the new realistic or classic handling feature(whatever they would call it) they added could work on everything on the game except races, certain missions they chose for it not to work on, and certain missions on GTA Online. Pretty much any game mode/activity that is dependent on driving. But if you're not playing a mission, you could use the handling feature and go do as you like with it on the map on singleplayer or multiplayer. Hit jumps, stunt, explore, cruise, crash, race, whatever you want to do with the new handling! It would make the game absolutely perfect, and it would keep most of the community happy.

I hope Rockstar could really think about looking into and doing this, because after brainstorming the past few days about the driving on the game/how to fix certain things with the driving, this is the only possible solution I could see them doing. There might still be a chance, because this seems very possible.

Thank you for reading and sorry this was kinda lengthy. I just had to get this off my chest because GTA's driving is one of the most important things to me and a lot of other GTA players around the world. And a lot of us feel the same that V's driving isn't what we all expected it to be.

Please make this happen and spread the word about this.   :^: 
  • Rollin likes this

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:36 PM Edited by circa542, 25 September 2013 - 11:40 PM.

you should probably save your energy the physics engine is not the same so they are not going change the handling either

from an arcade view the handling is decent

seems to be more people liking the new handling to so gta4 handling is gone 

still would like rockstar to make a realism handling for pc tho not gona happen even

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

you should probably save your energy the physics engine is not the same so they are not going change the handling either

still would like rockstar to make a realism handling for pc tho not gona happen even

The gta IV handling was flawed, but it felt better and was way more fun than this joke.  i was hoping for an improvement to the driving of IV to be in V, but this is super lame.  I see the possibilities of it having potential if they tweak it, but in its current state is very poor.  The super cars arnt to bad, they actually get damage and you can use the ebrake to slide around but the other slower cars are totally lame to drive, they are very hard to damage and the ebrake does virtually nothing for them.

Sli
  • Sli

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

Amazing!

This makes me sad because the world itself is pretty damn lively, traffic density is high and it would make for some amazing chases on the highway. But then come the arcady physics and take away all of the fun.

Compare it to the chase video someone posted in the previous page, you can obviously tell that if the cops mess up just a bit at the speed they're going it's going to end up badly. In the game you immediately notice cars don't lose traction at all no matter how violenttly the person is swerving, there's 0 fun in evading those cars when the car is like a homing missile with its own set of weird physics applied to it. Going fast becomes trivial and not exciting at all when there's no danger of losing control over your car.

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

The gta IV handling was flawed, but it felt better and was way more fun than this joke.  i was hoping for an improvement to the driving of IV to be in V, but this is super lame.  I see the possibilities of it having potential if they tweak it, but in its current state is very poor.  The super cars arnt to bad, they actually get damage and you can use the ebrake to slide around but the other slower cars are totally lame to drive, they are very hard to damage and the ebrake does virtually nothing for them.

well gta 4 handling is not live4speed handling but felt real enough to enjoy seems thay put all theyr money in the crazy story so they could only get 1 guy for the handling

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

well gta 4 handling is not live4speed handling but felt real enough to enjoy seems thay put all theyr money in the crazy story so they could only get 1 guy for the handling

I think they just copied it from those lame racing games where you never slide and your car never gets damaged, lol!  The super cars actually perform a little better so it really feels like they have the gravity set to high and the damage set to low or something, the crappy cars arent powerful enough to lose grip and you can smash stuff head on all day and barely damage it, and that really sucks and lowers the fun part of driving when you dont have to worry about crashing. 

elmo87
  • elmo87

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

Thank god ! Bikes were useless in gta IV . let pc have that ratchet sh*t. I swear gta forums is just one huge bitch fest. The bitching in here , it's just so intense... Thank u rockstar for the beautiful driving in gta V. Me and 70% OF YOUR FAN BASE love the UPGRADES u did to the driving in gta V. And I'm sorry that 30% of your fan base , are just so ungrateful. But don't feel bad rockstar, the 30% that are bitching about the driving , probably hate themselves and bitch about everything else in their lives. They also have problems with change. I would love to see the psychiatric report they got after beating gta V.... U DO KNOW gta V gives u a psychiatric report when beat the game right?

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

The physics engine IS the same. Coding a new one would be a complete hassle.

All they did was plug unrealistic values into the game, I'm almost 100% certain that if you looked into this game's handling files, they're built exactly the same way IV's were.

When the game comes on PC, all modders have to do is open the handling.cfg and fix the physics values.

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Thank god ! Bikes were useless in gta IV . let pc have that ratchet sh*t. I swear gta forums is just one huge bitch fest. The bitching in here , it's just so intense... Thank u rockstar for the beautiful driving in gta V. Me and 70% OF YOUR FAN BASE love the UPGRADES u did to the driving in gta V. And I'm sorry that 30% of your fan base , are just so ungrateful. But don't feel bad rockstar, the 30% that are bitching about the driving , probably hate themselves and bitch about everything else in their lives. They also have problems with change. I would love to see the psychiatric report they got after beating gta V.... U DO KNOW gta V gives u a psychiatric report when beat the game right?

the handling sucks compared to gta 4 and bikes in gta 4 have better physics than sbk 2012 so that ridiculous to say

the upgrades was fun but after next completed mission the car is gone if you could even afford the upgrades before completing the game

vwnut13
  • vwnut13

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Amazing!

This video sums up exactly what is wrong with the driving physics in GTA V. The cars don't turn in the normal sense of the word, they swivel about the centre axis of the vehicle which gives them that instant 90' turn-on-a-dime steering that lets you take sharp corners without having to use the brakes. Horrible, the vehicles have no weight to them whatsoever.

You know, the more I think of it, it feels like the cars have rear wheel steering.

circa542
  • circa542

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

The physics engine IS the same. Coding a new one would be a complete hassle.

All they did was plug unrealistic values into the game, I'm almost 100% certain that if you looked into this game's handling files, they're built exactly the same way IV's were.

When the game comes on PC, all modders have to do is open the handling.cfg and fix the physics values.

gta 5 also has euphoria i didnt check new one in that case it suck even more making it that bad from what it is on gta 4

to bad you cant mod mp tho dont care for singleplayer

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

there is nothing special about the driving in that video, the driving is so easy in this game i bet a monkey in a zoo could drive like that with very little practice.  Now driving like that in gta 4, that was impressive because it actually took some skill because every car was different and they werent glued to the road.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users