Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,107 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2256 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (899 votes [39.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.85%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (627 votes [27.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.79%

3. Indifferent (100 votes [4.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.43%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (259 votes [11.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (371 votes [16.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote
CapnManic
  • CapnManic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

I miss leaning hard (left stick) into sharp turns on the bike. That's practically it. That and helicopter controls. GTA4 controls felt more intuitive for those automobiles. GTA5 controls are, simpler and don't require as many adjustments while operating said vehicles versus GTA4 controls.

carmelo3
  • carmelo3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm seriously confused.....I swear everyone HATED the driving in GTA IV.....so they change it and now people say it's too arcadey (which its not) wtf???

It's a shame that for such a phenomenal gaming franchise, Grand Theft Auto has the worst fan base ever, seriously.

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Has anyone else noticed that all cars, vans, trucks ect. turn as if they are using the back wheels as well as the front wheels to steer?

heres a video from gta sa showing what i thinkis happening in gta v: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PkpnMgjMHm4

heres one of gta v to compare: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vNgb2Apy5HA

tell me what you guys think.

There is definitely some oddity with the vehicle's axis of rotation. I find it the most obvious on a motorcycle, just come to a complete stop and turn all the way one direction and very gently give it some throttle so you creep forward. The bike will turn sharper than the front tire turns, as if the front tire isn't even making contact with the road.

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'm seriously confused.....I swear everyone HATED the driving in GTA IV.....so they change it and now people say it's too arcadey (which its not) wtf???

It's a shame that for such a phenomenal gaming franchise, Grand Theft Auto has the worst fan base ever, seriously.

Mostly people who were too lazy/dumb to figure out the driving in IV hated it, and they were vocal about it.

When it comes to feedback, it's normal to see more from the displeased party than the group who are actually happy about the change.

• Syntaxis likes this

JubeiDOK
  • JubeiDOK

Westsiiiide!

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Gotta agree with the people hating on the bikes, they absolutely killed the Dirty Sanchez. (Franklin's Harley is fine though)

Ultimately, I think the only change that needs to happen for me, is to allow me to turn off auto follow on the cam. I'm starting to get fishtails down, but I think it's the camera that is throwing me off the most. I can actually preform them better in cinematic cam than in the gameplay cams.

C4-_-GIBBfather
  • C4-_-GIBBfather

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

My dog switch off my ps3. so here I am again :)
I have done some offroad racing 4/4 moto races. And i pretty much hold full throttle from start to finish in all of them. finishid first every time. No replay valeu and no feling at all. :( Were is the fun in that?
I thougt about this issue and thoght cant it be pretty simple to fix with a patch there you get more opitions in the car customnation?
I dont get it, wy shpuld i want to improve armor and brakes on my car? runs like a tank, and stops like a F1 car when it is stock.

jordanpumah
  • jordanpumah

Time Lord

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

"dumbing things down earned $800 million dollars on opening day." 

no, overhyping the game did.

Lamborghini1335
  • Lamborghini1335

Come and get me...

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Its alright, better hand brake handling then IV BUT the same nonsense handling like SR3 I've found. Essh, hate to bring this up car damage is the time and place if they need to update the game I mean, I can flip end over end going down a mountain and still be drivable or slam head on into a semi truck and it still drivable again. Like really, please put more time into damages. Just my 2 cents.

silent storm
  • silent storm

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I made an account especially to express my disappointment after 5 years waiting …

• A big part of the replay value of GTA IV was learning to handle each car and the realistic driving experience, now that’s gone… 
  • The reward of driving your car fast and spotless true traffic is gone …
  • Car damage is as good as gone…
  • Controlled handbrake / speed drifts are gone of better said useless now,  just turn the stick and you’ll get the corner

‘Grand theft AUTO’ neglected the AUTO part big time , really sad.

Gta4 sold 25 million copy’s,  why change the driving part then, is 25 million not enough to know people liked it???? I know , simplify and sell a few million more to children (who aren’t supposed to play) and idiots why can’t drive/don’t want to put some effort in learning how to drive.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$  thx to the stockholders I suppose $$$$$$$ I’m really sad

I’m hoping for a download/patch for realistic driving ,pls , I’ll would pay gladly for it.

• C4-_-GIBBfather likes this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

If Rockstar don't implement some changes via an optional patch for the abortion that passes for driving physics and the excessively diluted Euphoria engine, then I seriously hope that IF they are considering a release of the game for next gen consoles somewhere down the line, that they will include the options for:

1. GTA IV (or at least BoGT) style vehicle physics and handling (with, hopefully just the suspension tightened up about 10%)

2. TLaD style motorcycle physics and handling (that was truly exhilarating)

2. a return to the old Euphoria rag-doll physics (does anyone else miss being flung 25 yards into the air after a motorcycle wipeout?)

3. the return of "Classic" controller configuration in the options menu

I don't see why all of the above can't be implemented IF there happens to be a XBone/PS4 release planned.

If it weren't for the above issues, this game would have been perfect in every way.

• silent storm likes this

TheGeekPunkGamer
  • TheGeekPunkGamer

GTA

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

I recently picked up GTA V. I have to say the driving mechanics are too bad. It's not as realistic as GTA IV's, but not even IV's were super realistic. overall it's not terrible. I wish it was a little more realistic, but I can't complain too much. In a way a lot of the cars feel generic, where as in GTA IV, you could tell the difference when you were driving a different type of car. One thing I also noticed is that cars no longer use turn signals, though I may not be paying attention too much. I still have a lot more to play around with in GTA V. Overall I still like the game.

mir_us
  • mir_us

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

My dog switch off my ps3. so here I am again :)
I have done some offroad racing 4/4 moto races. And i pretty much hold full throttle from start to finish in all of them. finishid first every time. No replay valeu and no feling at all. :( Were is the fun in that?
I thougt about this issue and thoght cant it be pretty simple to fix with a patch there you get more opitions in the car customnation?
I dont get it, wy shpuld i want to improve armor and brakes on my car? runs like a tank, and stops like a F1 car when it is stock.

Yeah -- I think many of us expected driving would be different. But the degree of difference is very extreme. Your level of concern for your car or the speed your driving is just not there by comparison.

In IV you felt exhilaration when driving at top speeds because you knew things could get ugly if you wrecked. Going into oncoming traffic at high speed was a big deal, and to me, I think it should be. How can you build on excitement in a game about driving if you don't feel the risk of the enormous physics that come with it?

I can't help but feel the multiplayer impact is going to be substantially worse. Cars are going to be super machines compared to their IV counterparts and vehicle-to-vehicle bumping and smashing will be much less engaging and complex.

• FasterThanYou, HamSandwich, C4-_-GIBBfather and 1 other like this

realscarygary
  • realscarygary

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

Pleeeease do something about the handling. My cars are constantly sliding from side to side on every road I go at, it is simply not fun. Don't even get me started on flying, choppers are just ridiculous to maneuver. It is fantastic how quite a few people validate the "more realistic" arguement when a video game should all be about creating a good and fun experience.

assmillk
  • assmillk

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

it all depends on playing style...do you enjoy fully modded supercars going full speed inbetween traffic, or do you like driving like a normal human being?

-Morbid-
  • -Morbid-

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:41 PM Edited by -Morbid-, 20 September 2013 - 09:42 PM.

I can't help but feel the multiplayer impact is going to be substantially worse. Cars are going to be super machines compared to their IV counterparts and vehicle-to-vehicle bumping and smashing will be much less engaging and complex.

It will feel even worse in multiplayer I think because it severely hurt the value of people who specialized in driving. Any idiot can pop into a car and do a good enough job to get by, and with cars being able to take so much damage and being able to magically flip over when rolled, even if they do crash there are very little consequences.

Another aspect that sucks is that even if you are a good driver, it isn't worth much relative to other people. I remember in chases online in GTA IV, a good driver in a something like a Sabre GT could outrun a not-so-good driver in an Infernus because they would just crash or flip. Now I don't think that will happen, and if you don't have as fast/faster car than someone chasing you then you are basically screwed unless they are just shockingly bad at driving.

I pictured hundreds of hours of fun being a getaway driver for my group of friends, and going off-roading with some others who liked it in IV... and now those are pretty much gone.

• jordanpumah and silent storm like this

NasherUK
  • NasherUK

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:43 PM Edited by NasherUK, 20 September 2013 - 09:48 PM.

it all depends on playing style...do you enjoy fully modded supercars going full speed inbetween traffic, or do you like driving like a normal human being?

Well, theres not much point in the modding system, or the driving skill because all the cars handle like F1 cars and are all off-road monsters by default. There are no situations where you need more grip, speed or armour. Or to make the insanly sensitive steering even more sensitive.

leaflinks
  • leaflinks

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

I have no problems with the Driving of the game. You have the handling of all vehicles, and variations. I like the way the roads, the cracks, and all those details.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

In IV you felt exhilaration when driving at top speeds because you knew things could get ugly if you wrecked. Going into oncoming traffic at high speed was a big deal, and to me, I think it should be. How can you build on excitement in a game about driving if you don't feel the risk of the enormous physics that come with it?

Yep. Now you go full speed and everything is under control.

Traffic and nowhere to go? Touch the brakes and you´re stopped.

A head on crash? No problem, no damage and little time lost as you´re up to max speed in a second.

You´re upside down? Shake the steering and get going again.

• jordanpumah and silent storm like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

By the way, the petition for GTA 4 style driving is about to hit the 4 digits! Keep pushing guys.

http://www.change.or...o-gta-4-style-2

• C4-_-GIBBfather and silent storm like this

Cobra427Cobra427
  • Cobra427Cobra427

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have always dreamed that someday in the GTA will be the view from the cockpit and the sequential gearbox

jordanpumah
  • jordanpumah

Time Lord

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well, that's your opinion, and you are a terrible gamer for that, giving up after the first turns? really? when did you start playing videogames? when were you born?

ME, along many others who started in the nineties, are accustomed to trying and trying again just to beat something in a videogame, yeah it was hard, yeah, it made you wan't to fling your controller across the room, which you couldn't really do, seeing as it was wired, but I digress;

how can YOU tell me that what everyone wants to do is just speed around the map missing all the details, unless you're going on about your kind, which is most likely a bunch of 10-year-olds who have had everything handed to them in videogames, and real life, THEY are the ones who grew accustomed to giving up when the going gets tough.

videogames are supposed to be hard, which is the reason I haven't dared to touch a COD since WaW, because it lost all the difficulty, I can run through the (terribly written and arduous as hell) campaign on the highest difficulty, it's just so easy!

you might not, but anyone remember the first 3 CODs (COD, COD2, COD2 big red one)? you had health that could only be regained by medkits, and I loved it, now it's just," emagerd, red scrern, gerta herd behernd serm werls", all better after 4 seconds, you're completely fine, which is also why I despise the fact health regenerates in gtav, even if only to 50%, I can do a LOT with 50% health in gta.

theres a reason we love the learning curve, because, as a lot of us have said, we were going to be the designated drivers out of our buddies, because we were(are) the best drivers in gtaiv and a lot of other driving games as well.

but all of that experience is for nought, because the game made it "fun and easy" for everyone, which sucks.

but we should be able to reach a compromise here, a simple option implemented into the sp and mp for the old(with a few modifications) driving, that way even on mp, we can be with the ones who enjoy having to actually pay attention to what's going on with the car, the adrenaline the driving in gta iv produces is amazing, i love it, and guess what, you'd also be able to keep on driving cardboard boxes around for the next week and a half you'll be spending with the game, before moving on to some other game that will also only captivate you for around 2 weeks, hell, you might even go on their forum and shoot down everyone who wants and improvement to be made in the game.

I've been playing since the 90's to and I don't agree with a single thing you wrote.  

Ok so things don't go your way and people are not agreeing with you so your conclusion is we are all crappy gamers and 10 year olds? Yeah ok, you lost any credibility when you resorted to childish ad homiens to make your point. 

This may be a far cry from that kind of mental exercises you are use to, but it may be that some gamers, even the serious ones, are not interested in this particular learning curve that you seem to think is the holy grail of real gaming. And the interest in a gta title that doesn't contain this learning curve for driving does not a "short attention span" or "impulsive" gamer make. 

If you recall  correctly every gta up until 4 had something close to V's driving mechanics, now go and take a gander at the forums pertaining to each of those titles, notice something? People still frequent them, because even after all these years and despite the "Horrible Driving" as you like to call it people still play those titles.  

San Andreas is still held as superior GTA title compared to 4, by most fans,  despite it's lack of a learning curve for driving. Ultimately evidence is showing the the learning  curve does not make the game in any way what's so ever. You may want realism up your ass and around the corner, but not everybody is on the bandwagon with you, and it doesn't make them less of a gamer and you more of one. 

I enjoy just jumping in my car swerving through traffic, making quick get aways, and maneuvering through otherwise impossible scenarios without all the complications of - "slow down, sharp turn be prepared, oh sh*t I'm spinning out control."

Get a nice car I don't have to drive at a snails pace to ensure that it stays in mint condition. This is, of course, my opinion.

If anything the only thing I agree with is that Rockstar should provide an option for people of your kin to satisfy your standards.   It's matter of preference at the end of day not "Who is the superior gamer and who is the lowly casual gamer?"  False arrogance is unbecoming. 

when did I ever bash the old games, the old games, which i still love (vc ftw), but those games were supposed to be cartoony and unrealistic all the time

here in gtav though, everything besides cars is supposed to attempt an imitation of real life, the amount of damage you can take is one example, another one being the fact they added a full-fledged stock market system, etc.

but then you step into a car, and you're off in fantasy land again.

G-Man 187
  • G-Man 187

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

Been looking forward to this game more than any other and I'm a huge fan of the series. Now I have it and to be honest I don't really want to play it, every time I get in a car it's just a crushing disappointment. I drove around for ages trying and failing to get used to it, and then I saw a helicopter I could steal, oh good I thought.....   oh dear.

The decisions that Rockstar have made about the vehicle handling just beggar belief. The vehicles in gta3 had more character than in gta5 and thats twelve years old. Why have things gone backwards so far? I can understand that Rockstar have responded to a lot of people saying that the handling in gta4 was too difficult, but I don't remember many complaints about the handling in San Andreas so why not model it around that which was a happy medium that everybody could enjoy.

Common sense has been deserted, and it seems that for a lot of people it has spoiled what is otherwise a masterpiece.

On another note to the people who couldn't manage the handling in gta4, all you have to do is accept the fact that you have to use the brake before you get to the corner. Remember that and you'll be fine.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

I was a bit dissapointed at first, but now, I really like it. I don't think it feels too 'arcady' at all.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

The steering I can handle but the lack of real damage seriously irritates me.
  • HamSandwich likes this

Captain GJ
  • Captain GJ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:52 PM Edited by Captain GJ, 21 September 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Count me in as someone else who cannot enjoy the game to its' fullest due to the dramatic adjustments to the driving mechanics.

It seems obvious to me that the car handling characteristics were meant for one of two scenarios – either evading the police or driving as fast as possible. This is somewhat ironic considering the amount of detail and work that went into the world, almost all of which you don't even get to enjoy in either one of the above scenarios.

I've been trying to adjust to the new mechanics for the past three days, but just cannot bring myself around to even remotely enjoy them. Cruising around is all but impossible. I try and make a turn and end up slamming into a curb or a light pole. I get the distinct feeling that the game is always egging me on to drive flat out, regardless of what I'm doing or where I am. 

Any nuanced feel the cars had is totally gone, and instead replaced with a homogenized "suv" or "supercar" preset that really only dictates slight differences in top speed and acceleration, as handling seems to be pretty much F1 quality across the board. When I can take an SUV and make a 90 degree turn at nearly top speed there is an issue. And let's not even get into the auto counter-steering on slides or being able to move your car in midair.

After using the "slidey" cheat, it appears that the friction is drastically reduced with this cheat activated. Not only can it be seen in the handling but in the braking as well. The fact that this is in the game at all, even as a cheat, tells me that R* knew there would be some backlash over the drastic changes in the car mechanics.

I can also see these same characteristics in the traffic behavior. Before, the traffic would move in a very smooth and natural flow. Now it seems as if all the pedestrian vehicles move about in a much more jerky, artificial way, instantly accelerating/decelerating and turning their vehicles on a dime at speed. It just all feels disconnected enough from any sort of natural movement, that it makes the pedestrian vehicles seem a bit wonky at times.

What I had hoped for in GTA V was handling with some tweaks to the GTA IV mechanics, or something super refined and similar to Driver: San Francisco. Instead, we get a mashup between Midnight Club and Mario Kart, which is great for the world those games live in, but feels totally removed from the universe GTA, especially IV, has established.

• Starskos, namor and HamSandwich like this

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

THIS TOPIS IS EXTREMELY VAGUE.  

We would like if the gta 4 annihilator pilots had a forum to discuss their distaste for this matter

Plus the changed driving physics is separate from the other differences like the extreme lack of vehicle damage

Honestly i think gta4 motorcycle racers are probably the most negatively effected by all this.

I NEED MORE THAN ONE ROOM TO EXPRESS HOW VERY SAD I AM THIS IS THE DIRECTION ROCKSTAR WENT!

wolfeskimo
  • wolfeskimo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

Let's go Back to the Future...

http://www.change.or...=share_petition

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

Yeah no. I like the driving in V. Much better then the sh*t that was in IV.

M4RK
  • M4RK

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

I have to disagree, in my opinion, its very arcadey.  Have u ridden a motorcycle or atv?  u can take a 90 degree turn at like 100 miles an hour. its very different from IV, but i dont really mind it.  I was taken off guard when the driving was incredibly different.  

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

Yeah no. I like the driving in V. Much better then the sh*t that was in IV.

No one cares what you bottom feeding call of duty players think. go back to playing your wii

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users