Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,862 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2611 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1023 votes [39.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.18%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (730 votes [27.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.96%

3. Indifferent (121 votes [4.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.63%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (310 votes [11.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.87%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (427 votes [16.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:11 AM

I'm... actually suprised that the "Massive improvment over GTA IV" is the most popular option on this poll.You'd think this forum would have the "It's terrible" option WAY higher up. At least, that's from my perspective.

A lot people ain't got the patience and ability to learn about IV's driving.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

I'm... actually suprised that the "Massive improvment over GTA IV" is the most popular option on this poll.You'd think this forum would have the "It's terrible" option WAY higher up. At least, that's from my perspective.

Which isn't hard at all.

• P2FX, IDAS Leader, gooby and 1 other like this

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:46 AM Edited by P2FX, 31 July 2014 - 01:48 AM.

Which isn't hard at all.

Seriously I got used to it the first day I play the game, and after a whole week I felt in love with it.

• Kampret likes this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:42 AM Edited by Andreas, 06 August 2014 - 02:52 PM. Removed quote-train.

Seriously I got used to it the first day I play the game, and after a whole week I felt in love with it.

That's why I think when people hated IV's driving because they suck is because they're simply incompetent.

• P2FX likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:24 AM Edited by Andreas, 06 August 2014 - 02:51 PM. Removed quote-train.

That's why I think when people hated IV's driving because they suck is because they're simply incompetent.

Indeed. You hear their complaints, "Oh it handles like butter" or "Drives like it's on ice" it's quite obvious they can't drive if they're making those sort of complaints.
  • P2FX, gooby and Kampret like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:48 PM Edited by B Dawg, 01 August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

So I tried out the Realistic Driving & Flying mod. It essentially removes traction control making drifting and longer powerslides possible, gives vehicles A LOT more speed and power and reduces body roll. The Dukes finally feels supercharged and makes me want to use the Blower attachment on the hood. Braking needs to be done early if driving really fast. There's not enough road to reach top speed though, maybe from West Alderney to East Algonquin but I was too busy cruising and sliding all over the place. I got the hang of it quickly though. Choppers also become very unresponsive at high speeds, steering almost impossible. Would have been perfect for V and it's giant map with super long highways, but then I'm guessing people would bitch about it more than they bitched about IV for being too slidey/fast/uncontrollable/sh*tty brakes. Not sure why the SultanRS is RWD instead of 4WD.

Verdict: IV with more speed and sliding but still very controllable if you know the vehicle's limits.

• Scaglietti, _Kindled_ and Kampret like this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:45 PM Edited by Andreas, 06 August 2014 - 02:49 PM. Removed quote-train.

Indeed. You hear their complaints, "Oh it handles like butter" or "Drives like it's on ice" it's quite obvious they can't drive if they're making those sort of complaints.

Yeah, but it's not "realistic". The Hexer IMHO handles so terribly and gives me a hard time. At least in V you have more control over the cars even if it's nt realistic either.
  • Smaher. likes this

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:15 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 01 August 2014 - 07:16 PM.

I think the way R* is headed with driving in GTA is good. Going back and playing IV just really hits the nail on the head (for me) on how improved it is in V.

Yes, the suspension and turning radius is not realistic for a majority of the vehicles in V. However the control you have while driving is imo the best it's felt perhaps in series history. Not only that but I find it fun.

For the next GTA if they keep the tight handling and control from V but improve the suspension, tone down the super fast turning radius and give cars that are supposed to have some weight actual weight then it could turn out pretty well.

• OneManCrimeWave and _Kindled_ like this

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Patient 223

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:23 PM Edited by DrAnomalous, 02 August 2014 - 08:27 AM.

This superior control you guys speak of basically means the game completely ignores the laws of inertia. I don't feel like I'm driving a car in a 2013 game, it feels more like a Tron cycle game from the 8-bit era, except a lot less challenging. Having precision and anticipation like a real driver produces an exciting experience. You know the faster you go, the faster you're going to have to react. When you get that out of a game you feel engaged, but here it's quite dull. I know I can brake late, steer as aggressively as I want and still have no fear.  :zZz:

That's why we had over-powered cops before the patches. They made it so easy to drive that the only way to make it somewhat challenging was to make the cops rubber-band and plow you straight up the ass with a scripted loss of control. It was one bad decision followed by another.

• P2FX, GTA_fear, josephene123 and 5 others like this

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:34 AM Edited by Geeteeaifive, 03 August 2014 - 05:36 AM.

Three types of gamers.

Casuals. Who play games designed for 8 year olds. Occasionally turning on super competitive games and sucking at them hard. Ruining experience for everyone around them because they simply can't play for sh*t.

HARDCORE. I don't even need to state the obvious.

Softcore. it's a mix between hardcore and casual. They are sort of "gamers" Buy 20 games, only play 5 of them at most... and only 1-2 regularly. They're a wild card. They are either good or extremely bad. Theres no middle line there. Because that line goes to casual category.

And why does this matter? Well, casuals don't care what the handling is as long as 8 year old can do it. So can they.

Hardcore gamers don't care. If they don't like it they'll find ways to modify it.

softcores go both way.

Me personally. I'll get a mod for handling. ofc at first i'll have to deal with vanilla as the rockstar intended. For the first quick playthrough.

• Terrell likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

I don't know how removing a car's personality is improving it. Maybe that's why everything today is going to sh*t.

• B Dawg, P2FX, GTA_fear and 4 others like this

GavMann98
  • GavMann98

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

I thought the driving was fine in GTA 5. It's a freaking game what do you expect!

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

It's a freaking game what do you expect!

Are you people even thinking anymore or are you just posting without thinking at all? What the f*ck does "It's a freaking game" have to do with any of this?

• TheOtherRyan, P2FX, Donut and 2 others like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:52 AM Edited by Kampret, 06 August 2014 - 11:53 AM.

I thought the driving was fine in GTA 5. It's a freaking game what do you expect!

So? With that logic I can simply say "The story in V is great, It's a freaking game what do you expect!"

Anyone can quote and edit my post to change my example of his logic, can't think of anything else than that.

• Donut likes this

Terrell
  • Terrell

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

@Dr Anomalous yeah.... They completely ignored the rules of "centrifugal inertia" meaning it doesn't matter how fast you go on a bike, you will not bounce up and down on uneven ground, you will just be catapulted into the air, and plop down, you won't rock side to side more or less the faster or slower you go. You just go in a straight line with no effort, or challenge. Even after you slightly turn, you don't need to adjust for the slopes of the streets, or your speed, or even tire size/shape. It all makes no difference. The only challenge there is is when you ride on mountains, something that is sloped, but the only challenge is staying in the same straight line, not actually adjusting your balance at all, and if you do, your back won't slide out at all, it is like you are driving on train track type car physics Exactly. There is no reward to driving except mabey; your car doesn't get scratched. Then you know how that feels to drive carefully in GTA 5...
  • P2FX, DrAnomalous, josephene123 and 1 other like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:04 AM

If you look closely Franklin's first mission in the 2nd trailer, the 9F he drove got quite some body roll, and at some collision with a car, it got quite some damage. So the handling might be like TBoGT as the 2nd trailer was released.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:35 AM Edited by Vercetti42, 07 August 2014 - 11:35 AM.

So I tried out the Realistic Driving & Flying mod. It essentially removes traction control making drifting and longer powerslides possible, gives vehicles A LOT more speed and power and reduces body roll. The Dukes finally feels supercharged and makes me want to use the Blower attachment on the hood. Braking needs to be done early if driving really fast. There's not enough road to reach top speed though, maybe from West Alderney to East Algonquin but I was too busy cruising and sliding all over the place. I got the hang of it quickly though. Choppers also become very unresponsive at high speeds, steering almost impossible. Would have been perfect for V and it's giant map with super long highways, but then I'm guessing people would bitch about it more than they bitched about IV for being too slidey/fast/uncontrollable/sh*tty brakes. Not sure why the SultanRS is RWD instead of 4WD.

Verdict: IV with more speed and sliding but still very controllable if you know the vehicle's limits.

I'm pretty sure there'd be some driving mods for V too when it comes out for PC.

S1N0D3UTSCHT3K
  • S1N0D3UTSCHT3K

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

I think the cars and handling within the broader system are great. A lot of cars feel pretty unique. I think I've driven almost every car extensively now, and I get urges to drive so many different vehicles because they're so unique. The dirt road handling is pretty good, too. I especially like the SUVs and luxury cars in the desert, the body roll, suspension, and sound effects of the bumps are great. Especially the suspension, the luxury cars have pretty good weight and bounce through the dirt bumps, and the new 6x6 Dubsta is especially awesome for showing the suspension of different tires on different size rocks and bumps.

However, that said, the broader system is a bit arcade-y. I mean, it's certainly a lot closer to GTA IV than, say, Burnout or Ridge Rager. It reminds me a lot of old Need for Speed games that were a bit more sim-esque (not the new arcade racers).

But I do miss some of the weight and body roll of GTA IV. Sometimes IV felt too exaggerated... I race and offroad IRL too and even if there is that much weight and body roll, technically, you never 'feel' it... but in IV the 'feel' is pretty exaggerated sometimes (not always... I think SUVs were worse my SUV is never like that at the track lol) but muscle cars in GTA IV were pretty amazing for weight and body roll. And IV had killer acceleration 'feel'

so wish it was a bit more of a balance between the two games.

Terrell
  • Terrell

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

GTA 5 offers no reward for successful driving, GTA 4 does. But a blend between the 2 could be better than GTA 5.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

I think Forza Horizon-esque handling would be perfect for a GTA. It's not too realistic, it's not too arcade, and each car feels unique. Also there is very little body roll even though the suspension works very well. The feeling of weight is there, of course.

• Donut and Kampret like this

Kampret
  • Kampret

GabeN is fat.

• The Yardies
  • Indonesia

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:32 PM Edited by Kampret, 13 August 2014 - 02:38 PM.

I think Forza Horizon-esque handling would be perfect for a GTA. It's not too realistic, it's not too arcade, and each car feels unique. Also there is very little body roll even though the suspension works very well. The feeling of weight is there, of course.

Well, at least Forza Horizon isn't as hardcore as Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo...

Off topic, but during the days before I registered to the forums, I've been stalking this thread for quite a bit. Are you StingrayX?

• Scaglietti likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Well, at least Forza Horizon isn't as hardcore as Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo...

Off topic, but during the days before I registered to the forums, I've been stalking this thread for quite a bit. Are you StingrayX?

Yes. Changed my name exactly a year after I joined.

• Mr_Leone and Kampret like this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

I'm thinking of changing it up to fit in. How does, Mr_Leone720p1080HDxbox360 sound?

• Donut likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Na, switch up to Tony_McFattiany. Would go well with your avatar :p

alecgood89
  • alecgood89

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Here is the problem... most of the cars on GTA V have almost no suspension including a lot of the 4 wheel drive SUVS. Some of the SUVS that you know are 4 wheel drive aren't. This makes it difficult and very unrealistic if the cars that should be able to drive places without problem can't. You have to be halfway blind if you cannot see this. The police problem and the driving(suspension) problem are the 2 reasons why I have quit play GTA V. If i shoot a damn silenced weapon in the middle of nowhere then the police shouldn't come. Thats just retarded. The most realistic driving game I have ever played by far is probably Mafia II. When Rockstar can admit there faults and fix the police so they don't shoot me for no reason and my cars actually work like a car then I might play once more....Until then The Elder Scrolls Online is keeping me occupied

• P2FX and Kampret like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Wow the Classic Coquette is one of the funnest cars to drive in this game. I actually had fun driving it! If only they could add more classic sports cars, perhaps a Windsor?

• Kampret likes this

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

Listen up Rockstar: 

The reason body roll/proper suspension is so important is because it gives you a sense that you are actually pushing the car to it's limit. Ever heard the phrase "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast"? That's why beating the hell out of rental cars is so much fun. That's why IV was so much fun. Because you actually felt like you were flogging the sh*t out of that Willard as it bounded recklessly through the uneven streets of LC. It also gives you a visual indication that the car is reaching it's limit, which is VERY important for serious racers.

Just think about it.

• P2FX, word is bond, josephene123 and 2 others like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:34 AM

I can't believe Rockstar actually classifies the Classic Coquette's handling as bad as well as GTA Wikia. That isn't bad handling, that's proper handling. Wake the f*ck up.

• Kampret likes this

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:52 AM

Playing Saints Row 1 now I feel is even better than V's driving which is just sad.

Terrell
  • Terrell

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Toggle options needed, GTA 4, GTA 5 driving physics. No harm, no foul, fun for everyone. The problem? Mabey they just want to lose half of their customers, preferably the mature, skilled audience right? Pshhh...... smh
  • P2FX, suicidehummer, josephene123 and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users