Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

3,331 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2129 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (858 votes [40.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.30%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (583 votes [27.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.38%

3. Indifferent (95 votes [4.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (244 votes [11.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (349 votes [16.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote
MichaelW
  • MichaelW

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Wait, wait, wait... have I just read someone say Forza feels similar to GTA5? :blink:

Unfortunately you did. Given that GTA V and Forza 5 are two very different games, I find it ridiculous that one would be trying to compare the two. 

Sting, Forza 5 is as close as consoles can get to a proper racing simulator (and for those who prefer personal computers, if you com here and say "PC master race", my Father will use his Holy Spirit to give you cancer). Racing is what the game is based around. Racing and driving in general in GTA V is only a part of the actual game. Granted, it is a reasonably important part of the game, but so is the shooting. And we do not have people coming here to compare GTA V to any of the abominations that resulted after Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. 

• Kampret likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

I don't buy hardware limitations is the factor stopping sims comming to consoles. It is more to do with developers mindset and target audience. They think it won't sell. As you say, Forza (and GT) are as close as we got to sims by now.

Hopefully Project CARS will be serious enough and will sell well too. That will change things.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Wait, wait, wait... have I just read someone say Forza feels similar to GTA5? :blink:

Unfortunately you did. Given that GTA V and Forza 5 are two very different games, I find it ridiculous that one would be trying to compare the two. 

Sting, Forza 5 is as close as consoles can get to a proper racing simulator (and for those who prefer personal computers, if you com here and say "PC master race", my Father will use his Holy Spirit to give you cancer). Racing is what the game is based around. Racing and driving in general in GTA V is only a part of the actual game. Granted, it is a reasonably important part of the game, but so is the shooting. And we do not have people coming here to compare GTA V to any of the abominations that resulted after Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. 

Don't be a c*nt, I wasn't the one who was trying to compare Forza to GTA V. Kindled was. Next time you should try to reading...

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

I notice in GTA5 when u park your car and not looking at your car a random pedestrian steal your car fast and If you park your car and walk 1 block away then go back to the car it is not there. It wasn't like that in GTA4 is Rockstar doing this due to limitations..

How *R manage do some certain things in GTA4 but can't in GTA5.

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:03 AM

anyone notice it ?

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

I notice in GTA5 when u park your car and not looking at your car a random pedestrian steal your car fast and If you park your car and walk 1 block away then go back to the car it is not there. It wasn't like that in GTA4 is Rockstar doing this due to limitations..

You worded that pretty funny but I see your point. This is how it was in IV:

I parked my Turismo at the Ron Service Station in Westydke, Alderney and then pressed the SIXASIS button to send me over to the airport. After exiting SIXASIS, I was standing in front of the airport. From there, I walked all of the way to the Ron Service Station in Westdyke, Alderney and my car was still there. I found out that cars can be parked and never disappear last year when I went to tour Algonquin in a red Presidente.

MichaelW
  • MichaelW

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:30 AM

I don't buy hardware limitations is the factor stopping sims comming to consoles. It is more to do with developers mindset and target audience. They think it won't sell. As you say, Forza (and GT) are as close as we got to sims by now.

Hopefully Project CARS will be serious enough and will sell well too. That will change things.

Full simulators are very "niche". Hence why Turn 10 created the Horizon series to boost sales simply because Forza traditionally sells a lot less than other games, especially racing ones. 

And the thing is indeed about target audience. Forza appeals to a much smaller audience than say, Call of Duty. 

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:23 AM

You worded that pretty funny but I see your point. This is how it was in IV:

I parked my Turismo at the Ron Service Station in Westydke, Alderney and then pressed the SIXASIS button to send me over to the airport. After exiting SIXASIS, I was standing in front of the airport. From there, I walked all of the way to the Ron Service Station in Westdyke, Alderney and my car was still there. I found out that cars can be parked and never disappear last year when I went to tour Algonquin in a red Presidente.

But in GTA5 your car is stolen by a random ped, everything in gta 5 is go by fast 

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

Another aspect of the driving I hate is the traffic. I can't enjoy the curvy roads in the Vinewood hills because there are multiple cars around EVERY f*cking corner. And they cut you off coming from side roads. They've always made traffic purposely get in the way, but it's just ridiculous in V.

And you can't start a freeroam session without traffic (AFAIK).
  • Sting4S likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

The traffic is absolutely terrible and it gets worse when cops are chasing you. Civilians will cut you off, block your route and do many things against the logic. Instead of clearing the road for police they are blocking it.

• Blingy likes this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

Another aspect of the driving I hate is the traffic. I can't enjoy the curvy roads in the Vinewood hills because there are multiple cars around EVERY f*cking corner. And they cut you off coming from side roads. They've always made traffic purposely get in the way, but it's just ridiculous in V.

And you can't start a freeroam session without traffic (AFAIK).

yea its almost as if they programmed every f*cking npc car to try to hit you in anticipation of multiple players causing the number of NPC traffic that spawns to be severely reduced.  In an invite only session by yourself theres a sh*t ton of traffic but in public lobbies with tanks killing each other there is no traffic.  I like a happy medium with no tanks myself, haha!

spudkiller95
  • spudkiller95

Sad Panda

• Members
  • England

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

After going back and playing IV, i think the driving on V is lacking. I suppose it could be down to the  tone of IV but the driving espicially the acceleration feels realistic while the majority of cars in V feel too quick.

• DrAnomalous, FasterThanYou and Kampret like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

:^: F*ck yes, that annoys the living hell out of me. Just like the other day, I was casually cruising up a hilly Vinewood road in my custom yellow Comet and this oncoming black Comet just steered into my lane and hit me. And he acted like it was my fault! It's almost like Rockstar programmed this on purpose. Every time I'm on a curvy road, I constantly see oncoming traffic steering into my lane and then steering back into their lane. What the actual f*ck? Can somebody teach these idiots how to program?

X12-1992
  • X12-1992

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

I just like to ask whats wrong with GTA V having more arcade driving? GTA isnt a driving simulator, it never will be its not suppose to be one. Now, should simulation driving physics be an option for more advanced players? Sure. But for those of us who just want to pick up a controller (or K&M) and start playing, arcade driving is better. 

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

The Super Drop Diamond car handles almost nearly the same as some of the cars in V. With less vehicle suspension, less traction control, and tight handling, too.

I thought this as well.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

For me, the driving is spot on. Sure, there's an arcadey feel to it, but that allows me to have ridiculous Hollywood style car chases over huge stretches. The driving in IV was good and I loved it, but I feel it was improved for V tremendously. 

I compare the driving in V to the following games:

- Just Cause 2

- Watch_Dogs

- Sleeping Dogs

- Saints Row 3/4 (barely changed between games)

In all 5 of these titles, I feel the driving is sluggish, unresponsive, "heavy" and just plain not fun. Driving, for me, is a HUGE part of the game. I like to grab a vehicle and push it to the limit, taking it out to the freeway and hitting top speed, seeing if I can hit some sweet jumps, flip it, roll it, whatever. Just have fun. 

In IV AND V, I can do that. 

In those other games - I can't. Take, for example, Watch_Dogs. You can hit top speed pretty easily and it feels pretty good, but hit a ramp or head up a hill or a raised bridge and you barely leave the ground. Some might consider this realistic, but it leaches the fun out of it. I WANT arcadey, I want that lack of realism. I want it to feel like I'm in the god damn Cannonball Run movies, or Vanishing Point, or Smokey and the motherf*cking Bandit. 

So, for me, V absolutely NAILED it. NAILED IT. 

• SonOfLiberty and _Kindled_ like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

No recent games, including V, seem satisfy my desire for driving unless it's a racing game like Forza Horizon or Drive Club. I played V for almost 4 days and whilst I could somewhat deal with the driving, I often played TBoGT multiplayer and it felt so much funner to drive around. The thing that bugs me with V the most is that the driving doesn't really feel right for cruising, and that is what I like to do most of the time. If I can't casually cruise, then I'll get impatient and eventually get bored with the driving.

• P2FX likes this

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

I went back to play GTA V when the latest goofy DLC came out. I start a random mission and of course people still only play Rooftop Rumble, I make the mistake of jumping in a car with some random, he gets to the garage and inexplicably pulls right into it and we both die. So now I'm just  spectating this mission and I'm watching these remaining guys race to Madrazo's house. Right there I had to quit. Even watching people drive is frustrating. It is not like watching cars drive at high speeds through traffic. It looks ridiculously stupid. Reminds me more of a drunk bumble bee that zig-zags, crashes into things, bounces off, and keeps right on going like nothing happened. It's completely off-putting.

I'll replay this game when I feel like going through the story but as far as all the fun I had driving around online in IV this game doesn't hold a candle. It really sucks because the GTA V map is nice especially those long curved roads in the rural areas.

• P2FX likes this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've seen everything now, Forza 5 being compared to GTA V. What's next, how closely an Orange looks like a banana when you put it in a blender? How in the f*ck are those two even REMOTELY close? Ones a decently realistic simulator, the other an arcade racer(?). If you drive an AE86 on Forza, and then the AE86 on here, f*cking tell me that it's the same. I can't even believe all 4 of my f*cking eyeballs.

• Sting4S likes this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

A bit more realism of IV and a bit less arcade from V would give the perfect handling.

• DrAnomalous and Sting4S like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

I've seen everything now, Forza 5 being compared to GTA V. What's next, how closely an Orange looks like a banana when you put it in a blender? How in the f*ck are those two even REMOTELY close? Ones a decently realistic simulator, the other an arcade racer(?). If you drive an AE86 on Forza, and then the AE86 on here, f*cking tell me that it's the same. I can't even believe all 4 of my f*cking eyeballs.

Yeah that did bewilder me.
  • Blingy likes this

Blingy
  • Blingy

Nigga Ya Love Ta Hate

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yeah that did bewilder me.

Pretty soon, GTA is going to be compared as the next gen racing simulator. Including invisible curbs, featherweight cars, all-terrain tires for all vehicles, and accurate LSD trip, complete with slow motion so you can nail that perfect gap between that bum on the sidewalk and that hotdog vender.

• DrAnomalous and Kampret like this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

When V comes to PC, people will start modding the handling. Maybe, someone could make the handling even like this:

• DrAnomalous, FasterThanYou and Smaher. like this

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:46 PM Edited by DrAnomalous, 03 July 2014 - 08:51 AM.

When V comes to PC, people will start modding the handling. Maybe, someone could make the handling even like this:

That is what I am aiming for now. I'm probably going to delay my next-gen console purchase for a gaming PC. I've seen some great ENB settings for GTA IV, and that very same handling mod's characteristics were what I envisioned for GTA V. Looks like the cars that possessed excessive body-roll had it toned down but the wheel spin and sense of weight are still there without the auto-corrective/counter steering and assisted braking.

• Ermac. and Sting4S like this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:41 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 03 July 2014 - 12:55 PM.

That´s brilliant. Look at that, the slides don´t take away all the momentum, instead you have to fight the wheel to keep the car pointing the right way for as long as the wheels recover grip. And they got rid of some of the annoying things of GTA4 too, but keeping all the good stuff... just look at the landing of that truck when it goes off-roading over the rocks, it´s brilliant. And the Sentinel high speed crash damage and the inertia... and that Mercedes spin, a minor amount of countersteer would have saved it in GTA5 but look at that, when it goes beyond a certain slip angle there´s no way to get it back here. I´d have liked him to actually drive efficiently and push for quick laptimes in an empty road too (instead of drifting that much) to be able to judge some things better.

f*ck, the longer I go into the video, the more impressed I am. Can a 2013 Sony Vaio laptop run that stuff? 

If some amateur modders can come up with something like that tweaking a few values and using the same engine, R* should be able to come up with something great too, instead of the piece of sh*t we got with GTA5.

• Blingy, Sting4S, _Kindled_ and 2 others like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Problem is that piece of sh*t we got in GTA V is absolutely the best driving from R* point of view. It's not like that because they couldn't make it better, they exactly wanted that kind of driving. And that's the bigger problem. 

They could make almost perfect one, with tweaks done to IV physics, but instead they threw out everything and started from scratch creating V version.

• B Dawg, P2FX and Sting4S like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Problem is that piece of sh*t we got in GTA V is absolutely the best driving from R* point of view. It's not like that because they couldn't make it better, they exactly wanted that kind of driving. And that's the bigger problem. 

They could make almost perfect one, with tweaks done to IV physics, but instead they threw out everything and started from scratch creating V version.

They threw everything good out from the series and started from scratch. I really wish they hadn't of done that, because this game just doesn't feel like GTA to me, it doesn't.

• B Dawg likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:56 PM Edited by B Dawg, 04 July 2014 - 11:16 AM.

They threw everything good out from the series and started from scratch. I really wish they hadn't of done that, because this game just doesn't feel like GTA to me, it doesn't.

They threw out Vigilante, Fire Fighter, Paramedic and bonuses for completing them, 8-Track Racing, Demolition Derby, Dirtbike Challenges, Gang Wars, Drug Wars, Pool, Crouching, Arms Wrestling?, Underground Fight Tournaments, Learning Fighting Styles, Hotdogs!!!, Recruiting Backup, Huge amounts of Cheats for Messing sh*t up, Friend Benefits for hanging out, etc... f*ck, what happened? All this could have been in V, and SA had almost all of the stuff I mentioned.

Some people don't like SA for whatever reasons, but all the stuff it had and the fact it didn't try to cater to any group made it one great game.

Edit: f*ck I've gone off-topic, unrelated to driving.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

Modding V will run into some issues, however; the game apparently has several hidden driving aids like auto-countersteer, which are hard-coded into the game. The guy who modded the 360 version of V mentioned this and said that he could do nothing about it.

P2FX
  • P2FX

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Modding V will run into some issues, however; the game apparently has several hidden driving aids like auto-countersteer, which are hard-coded into the game. The guy who modded the 360 version of V mentioned this and said that he could do nothing about it.

IV has this too, but that did not prevent IV to have enjoyable driving.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users