Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,667 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2408 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (951 votes [39.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.49%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (666 votes [27.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.66%

3. Indifferent (110 votes [4.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.57%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (285 votes [11.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (396 votes [16.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Aragrox
  • Aragrox

F*ck That

• Members

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

You can change that word from fix to change, or any other word you like. The point still stands strong.. ;)

Well if they fix it then the body roll would be better, some other things would be better, and it would probably take you 10 hours to practice, which will probably still be dumb to you, who knows.

I understand, the driving isn't what you liked, so the people that do must just be dumbass kids that don't know sh!t about driving in real life.. lol

100 points 
I'm 30 dude, and I know that the driving in GTA5 is way different from the way a car handles in real life

100 points 

GTA4's driving wasn't anything like real life either

100 points

I hated it.if you went over 45 MPH you couldn't controle 95% of the POS vehicles in the game..

No points, YOU couldn't control 95%

• PulpFiction, DrAnomalous and D3ADSH0T like this

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

Courier 6

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

^^funny post!

I did the suspension glitch in IV today and it made some of the cars handle the way they did in V. The Comet, for example, was so stiff that body roll was gone and it cornered unrealistically sharply. So V is kind of like IV without a suspension. But the cars in IV without suspensions react horribly to road imperfections, I mean I thought V was bad but in IV some of my glitched lowered cars stalled over potholes, flipped when approaching a pothole at a high speed, and shook violently or somehow severely damaged the body work of the cars I used.

How do u do the suspension glitch in IV? Ill switch off V quickly just to see how it is. Please?

gta3masta5000
  • gta3masta5000

'Sup?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

yea man, if i wanted sh*tty handling i'll just go play saints rows

Saint's Row 2 only. Maybe 1 IDK. Never played it. But 3 and 4 have good driving.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:40 AM

^^funny post!

I did the suspension glitch in IV today and it made some of the cars handle the way they did in V. The Comet, for example, was so stiff that body roll was gone and it cornered unrealistically sharply. So V is kind of like IV without a suspension. But the cars in IV without suspensions react horribly to road imperfections, I mean I thought V was bad but in IV some of my glitched lowered cars stalled over potholes, flipped when approaching a pothole at a high speed, and shook violently or somehow severely damaged the body work of the cars I used.

How do u do the suspension glitch in IV? Ill switch off V quickly just to see how it is. Please?
I explained how to do so on the previous page. :^:
  • D3ADSH0T likes this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

GTA IV's driving doesn't need to be perfect so you haven't "squashed" any arguments. Also nice consecending attitude to try and play me down as a "kid" which is kind of ironic since I'm only two years younger than you.

*sigh*

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

First person has become my most utilized view for games such as Forza Horizon, and I noticed I drive much better with that view (as far as cornering). It is more immersive when it comes to driving but I'd like it better in IV. In V the view would always be stiff and shakey whilst in IV some cars would be stiff and some would smooth out most of the road's imperfections.

Anyways, please try out the suspension glitch in IV, I learned it from Lazyboy.:

- submerge your car into the water, but make sure it doesn't sink or die
- shoot at the sideskirts beside the wheels
- keep shooting near each wheel until the suspension drops two times
- *if you want the bullet holes to disappear* park your car somewhere and walk three blocks away from it. Come back to it and the bullet holes will be gone

You'll now have a lowered car and whilst it may look ridiculous, it becomes idiotically fun to drive. It'll overreact over road imperfections, steer with ease, drift even if your car is FWD, and it'll somehow feel faster. Also, the body roll will be almost absent but you'll get violent shaking, scraping, and crunching noises in exchange. So far the Comet is the funnest car to do this with but I will try the Infernus today. It is so low already that it might stall over every single pothole.

That alone shows with IV they actually TRIED to get it right. A lowered car over a bumpy road is totally sh*t, if you drive fast you bottom down all the time and the reactions are unpredictable.

In GTA 5 some visual parts of the car (that I suspect have not even "hitbox" or mass at all, and are just a skin) go ghost when they should hit the ground in a low car, avoiding the bottoming down. Fully tune a Feltzer, stop the car with two wheels on a sidewalk and two wheels on tarmac, and watch how lower parts of your bumper merge with the ground.

• DrAnomalous and namor like this

Midyin84
  • Midyin84

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:42 PM Edited by Midyin84, 09 June 2014 - 12:48 PM.

yea man, if i wanted sh*tty handling i'll just go play saints rows

Saint's Row 2 only. Maybe 1 IDK. Never played it. But 3 and 4 have good driving.
That's why the driving was awful in SR 3 and 4. Because the driving was fun and unrealistic, we all know gamers hate fun driving in a game..

They want the driving to be like driving in real life, but without the hassle of having go out to your car in that big scary world with the sunlight where the air is fresh and other humans live... lol

Not to mention, if the driving in a game is fun rather than retardedly sh*ty/hard, then the elitist douche bags can't get their widdle peepees hard talking sh*t about how "I'm so good at the driving. You must just suck at gaming... I ish so 1337. X3"

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

There has been in instigaters recently, it seems.

Midyin84
  • Midyin84

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:11 PM Edited by Midyin84, 09 June 2014 - 01:14 PM.

Nobody, and god dammit I repeat it NOBODY SAID IT WAS PERFECT, but it is undeniably closer to the real deal and for that reason alone more fun. So stop trying to score points for arguing with yourself. Based on most of the arguments I've heard - yes I'm convinced that this place is crawling with tots that don't know the difference between their thumb and their wee-wee.

The only "Points" I'm scoring are "counter points" to lame arguments... Swish.. ;)

30 years old huh? You must be pretty familiar with public transportation.

And again, more typical fanboy nonsense...
That's right lil fella, I don't like the driving in you most favorite game in the whole wide world, so I must not know anything about gaming or driving right? Because my opinion is different from yours..

Kid logic is so cute sometimes... lol

You can change that word from fix to change, or any other word you like. The point still stands strong.. ;)

Well if they fix it then the body roll would be better, some other things would be better, and it would probably take you 10 hours to practice, which will probably still be dumb to you, who knows.
I never said it was perfect, but in my opinion it's better than it was in GTA4...

I understand, the driving isn't what you liked, so the people that do must just be dumbass kids that don't know sh!t about driving in real life.. lol

100 points

I'm 30 dude, and I know that the driving in GTA5 is way different from the way a car handles in real life

100 points

GTA4's driving wasn't anything like real life either

100 points

I hated it.if you went over 45 MPH you couldn't controle 95% of the POS vehicles in the game..

No points, YOU couldn't control 95%
I can live with 300 out of a possible 400 points. That's 75%... :D

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:53 PM Edited by DrAnomalous, 09 June 2014 - 03:25 PM.

Lame arguements and fanboy nonsense he says. . .

the hassle of having go out to your car in that big scary world with the sunlight where the air is fresh and other humans live... lol

retardedly sh*ty/hard

I don't like the driving in you most favorite game in the whole wide world

Kid logic

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

:lol: To the person bitching about how hard it was to drive a non-AWD car off of tarmac:

DrAnomalous
  • DrAnomalous

Disfavored Veracity

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

:lol: To the person bitching about how hard it was to drive a non-AWD car off of tarmac:

That driver is such an elitist.

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

In his defense he cant ride a bike on the pavement without crashing, so its no wonder he thinks driving is hard,haha!

• P2FX and DrAnomalous like this

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

Courier 6

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

^^funny post!

I explained how to do so on the previous page. :^:
Oh that glitch! I've done it multiple times before. Me and my cousin discovered it while we were playing in TBoGT. At first it felt weird and most of the time the car would burn after a few bumps. But its real close to GTA V's handling that way!
  • Sting4S likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Recently while going on rampages in TLAD, I stole a damaged police car. It had massive bodyroll, but it was very responsive when it came to turns, it was fun to drive. I guess that's what V would have been like with bodyroll :lol:

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:42 AM Edited by gtaxpert, 10 June 2014 - 01:01 PM.

In his defense he cant ride a bike on the pavement without crashing, so its no wonder he thinks driving is hard,haha!

I tried finding out which poster you are taking about and failed, so please tell me who it is lol..

Anyway, I've been following this topic for a long time to see whether there would be someone who would be sensible about the major differences between IV and V, but thusfar even on the 100th page it seems like noone really has been. I see the same dumb arguments used over and over again.

The most significant nonsense that every discussion in here seems to be based on is: more realistic driving = better. I don't agree with this. I agree that R* should use reality as a starting point with creating their driving, because a sense of realism improves the experience. But after creating the most realistic driving, it is a matter of finding out whether that is the most enjoyable driving in the context of the rest of the game. Does it let the player weave in and out of traffic at high speeds? Does it give chase sequences that are exciting? Take for instance the feature of moving your car in the air with the analog stick. That feature is pretty silly and really unrealistic, but I'm glad I have it because otherwise every jump I would make that didn't have a perfect take off would have me crashing all over the place. And I think it is an enjoyable feature to be able to take jumps and being able to land properly every time. So my point is, realism is not always better. V maybe overdid the in air steering though, and the unflipping of a car that is upside down just looks really stupid.

If you look at IV's driving, it seems as though they gave it realistic body roll, but because it is enjoyable in GTA to have responsive steering to an unrealistic degree to be able to weave in and out of traffic, that combined with the realistic body roll, made the body roll sometimes get out of hand. If you are able to take an unrealistically sharp turn with a realistic amount of body roll, then your car will behave strangely. I think that that is IV's problem. The body roll and the slow acceleration on supercars made the supercars kind of underwhelming sometimes. I also think some other cars, like the tuner Presidente, are too underwhelming performance wise. And the bikes were really weird and slidey in IV. EFLC repaired that a bit, which was good.

V removed removed the boat like body roll that was created in combination with the unrealistically responsive steering. Apart from that V also decreased braking times because the top cars in the game had increased top speed and acceleration, so it was needed to make crashing when driving on the edge less likely. Pretty much every car in V has insane traction. This has made drifting much harder. It seems as though R* wants you to be able to drive 'pedal to the metal' all the time in V without ending up crashing too much...

What I think is good about V is the improved top speed and acceleration in the faster cars in the game. It makes the driving more fun and dynamic for me. And somehow it seems logical how they changed the braking and body roll considering the supercars. A supercar with body roll just looks silly. And a supercar with realistic braking would be crashing too much if you'd drive it on top speed in traffic. But it is as though the complete driving mechanics have been aimed at driving around in supercars at top speed and that being fun, and that is probably the main mistake. I think they should've made bigger differences inbetween cars. It is silly how every car in the game is on top speed in 5 seconds and brakes from that top speed to 0 in 2 seconds. The differences between supercars and other cars should've been more significant I think. The fact that it's stupid that supercars are the best off road cars in V is a valid critism too. R* should work on that.

Some of you have denied the improved top speeds of cars, but it is easy to look up the numbers people have gotten from the handling.dat, and they prove that supercars in V are faster.

Part of  opinion on driving in GTA comes down to taste though. Some people like a realistic approach to GTA, some like a more arcady GTA set up. I don't think there's a right or wrong concerning that and it's a matter of taste. When I say "most enjoyable driving in the context of the rest of the game", I mean the most enjoyable driving considering the somewhat arcady nature of missions in GTA V (and IV for that matter). I bet when a pc version comes out, people will start tweaking the setting to their own taste, which will solve the problem.

The decreased damage in V seems to be because in online racing you often crash because of idiots doing everything to ram you. If you have to respawn your car because some asshole rammed you so hard that the front axle of your car is damaged and your car does not perform properly, then you'll lose so much time that it will screw over your race. V seems to be online aimed, so it is no wonder that the car damage settings have the online racing in mind.

I'd also like to point out that V has much greater weight to cars. Ramming cars is much harder than it was in IV. In IV racing I was always PIT maneuvred all over the place. Because of the increased weight pushing cars with other cars has become almost impossible in V.

• B Dawg, Ermacs and Kampret like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

The most significant nonsense that every discussion in here seems to be based on is: more realistic driving = better.

And it's a shame because I doubt anybody here thinks that.

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Now the PC version's announced, we can fix the driving with MODs.

• suicidehummer likes this

TempAccount
  • TempAccount

GTA V PC

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Also the "improved" driving mechanics won't matter when I have vehicle density at 100% on PC.

Can you say Vehicular Manslaughter?

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

You go OTB more than me man!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

What I think is good about V is the improved top speed and acceleration in the faster cars in the game. It makes the driving more fun and dynamic for me. And somehow it seems logical how they changed the braking and body roll considering the supercars. A supercar with body roll just looks silly. And a supercar with realistic braking would be crashing too much if you'd drive it on top speed in traffic.

One can argue that they overdid the brakes, suspension and acceleration, considering the fact that V supercars aren't much faster than those in IV (few pages ago I posted a video and compared it to IV's comet, which is undoubtebly a very fast car), and that ramming into other vehicles is nowhere near as fun anymore.

• suicidehummer likes this

Cyberzone2
  • Cyberzone2

Zee's assistant and Resident Troll

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

PC can mod GTA 4 handling into this game.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:16 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 10 June 2014 - 01:21 PM.

What I think is good about V is the improved top speed and acceleration in the faster cars in the game. It makes the driving more fun and dynamic for me. And somehow it seems logical how they changed the braking and body roll considering the supercars. A supercar with body roll just looks silly. And a supercar with realistic braking would be crashing too much if you'd drive it on top speed in traffic.

One can argue that they overdid the brakes, suspension and acceleration, considering the fact that V supercars aren't much faster than those in IV (few pages ago I posted a video and compared it to IV's comet, which is undoubtebly a very fast car), and that ramming into other vehicles is nowhere near as fun anymore.

I think if you look at the handling.dat numbers you'll see there is definitely a rise in top speed. I can't find the handling.dat's anmore, so maybe someone should help us out.. It is not an amazingly high number, but it is there. Apart from that, because V cars have better acceleration, especially after tuning, you drive the high speeds a lot more often and more easily, which justifies the more powerful braking. They might have overdone a few characteristics in the new handling, I'm not completely sure. To find out I would have to play with the handling.dat numbers and find out what is better. When the pc version comes out many people no doubt will try this.

My main criticism on V driving though, is the fact that all non supercars handle, break and accelerate too much like the supercars, which makes them very boring. They aren't fun cars with personality that stand on their own, but they drive like crap supercars. This is the main mistake by R* in V driving imo. I'm actually fine with how the fully tuned supercars drive. I think they are great fun..

• PulpFiction likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

What... what?! Man I sleep through everything.

Mpower
  • Mpower

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

What... what?! Man I sleep through everything.

Check the newswire

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

I can't wait to see V with mods.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:31 PM Edited by FasterThanYou, 10 June 2014 - 07:42 PM.

I don't think new gen and PC releases will change anything regarding the physics. Someone said here IV and V use the same engine, so it's just the same calculations happening with different values. So same stress for the hardware comming from the physic engine.

Sadly that means the mess V is is fully intentional and not down to hardware limitations. I won't buy next gen GTA just for better graphics. They could take another 60 out of me if the driving got improved and became half decent... But no luck I guess.

Only pro I can see in new gen release is that it might be the end of cadence steering (hitting the stick to max lock with different frequences to control the amount of steering lock you want in the car). Why? Because the PS4 controller is WAY better. The deadzone in the stick is way smaller, I didn´t believe it at first but after trying it in a friend´s house I had to admit the deadzone in the PS3 controller is BIG. You don´t realize if you´re used to it! if they code well the input from that stick, the steering could become WAY better, and driving supers and sports (any vehicle very responsive) in the dry will be a bit less of guesswork. 

• namor and jeanrjm like this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

I tried finding out which poster you are taking about and failed, so please tell me who it is lol..

I dont know, havent followed this whole thread and just took his word for it that such a poster exsists and agreed with him.  As someone who has much driving experience of all types and terrains in real life I thought it was pretty funny someone thinks its hard to drive a 2wheel drive car off the pavement so I made fun of him.  if he exists, he is dumb and has no idea what hes talking about, lol!

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

I don't think new gen and PC releases will change anything regarding the physics. Someone said here IV and V use the same engine, so it's just the same calculations happening with different values. So same stress for the hardware comming from the physic engine.

Sadly that means the mess V is is fully intentional and not down to hardware limitations. I won't buy next gen GTA just for better graphics. They could take another 60 out of me if the driving got improved and became half decent... But no luck I guess.

Only pro I can see in new gen release is that it might be the end of cadence steering (hitting the stick to max lock with different frequences to control the amount of steering lock you want in the car). Why? Because the PS4 controller is WAY better. The deadzone in the stick is way smaller, I didn´t believe it at first but after trying it in a friend´s house I had to admit the deadzone in the PS3 controller is BIG. You don´t realize if you´re used to it! if they code well the input from that stick, the steering could become WAY better, and driving supers and sports (any vehicle very responsive) in the dry will be a bit less of guesswork. 

Although it's unlikely, they could have listened to our complaints and fixed the handling for PS4 and such. As you say, it's just different values, so it would be pretty easy for them to improve it. In any case, the PC version can be modded (although it sucks for people like me who can't afford a new computer).

Contrasting
  • Contrasting

Merryweather IMF

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

If they could combine the more realistic "boat" feeling, and car damage of gta 4 driving,  and the traction of gta 5, then we'd have a good driving mechanic. 

C'mon R*, you made the midnightclub series, which was probably one the best racing games in my honest opinion. Surely you can somewhat adapt that over to your biggest title(s): Grand theft auto. 

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

But the problem is, it's not broken in their opinion. They think they made it right and I doubt they will do something about it on the new versions. Driving as everything in this game is perfectly crafted for the casual crowd. Game was set to bring the possibly highest income by catering to the sunday players. 

Of course, driving can be fixed on PC via modding (if the physics allow the changes of course), but that's topic for another debate. 

• namor and Sting4S like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users