Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Driving Debate

4,857 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving Debate (2584 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about GTA V's driving mechanics

1. Its great. A huge improvement of GTA IV (1012 votes [39.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.16%

2. I like it despite it feeling more "arcady" (721 votes [27.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.90%

3. Indifferent (120 votes [4.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.64%

4. I dont like it but I can live with it (307 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

5. Its terrible. Big step back from GTA IV (424 votes [16.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

Ok, so alot of people are getting pretty upset about the driving mechanics in GTA V. Lets try and keep it all in here so we can avoid 20 different threads about this subject. Thanks.

• TheProcrastinatingMath, Scaglietti, GtaVdrivingsucks and 6 others like this

BlaineCountyHooker
  • BlaineCountyHooker

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

its pretty unrealistic but i f*cking love it. If it had IVs damage and still this hard of cops, we would need 20 cars to get away cause they would destroy it within 3 hits
  • XeClutch, SupraDork, FSUNoles27TS and 8 others like this

Hordriss
  • Hordriss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

I loved GTAIV's handling.  But I'm enjoying how it's done in V as well.  I wouldn't say it's better than IV, it's certainly different.  But I like it.

• donconjo, Baby GTA, rampage08 and 12 others like this

RoDa070
  • RoDa070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

you having problems with cops in gta5 ? lol another game who cant drive

• Rafe likes this

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

its pretty unrealistic but i f*cking love it. If it had IVs damage and still this hard of cops, we would need 20 cars to get away cause they would destroy it within 3 hits

I think this is a really good point. People are complaining about alot of features in V but they arent looking at the sum of all the parts.

Driving is much faster in V than it was in iv, and there is MUCH more traffic as weiil. The GTA IV handling would have made GTA V a traffic simulator.

And as you said about the police, they are much more agressive. If they were like this in IV we wouldnt make it past the first handful of missions

• Mister Pink, SupraDork and Kazandra like this

3dwizard
  • 3dwizard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

The driving is so so when compared to Gta 4, to me it feels less awesome and less realistic than Gta 4 but this is not the problem with vehicles that bothers me a lot.

The problem that bothers me a lot is the lack of car damage.

The car damage is absolutely horrible in Gta 5.

The cars are basically made out of titanium :|

• namyzarc, Choco Taco, Donut and 5 others like this

BlaineCountyHooker
  • BlaineCountyHooker

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

you having problems with cops in gta5 ? lol another game who cant drive

do yoy have the game sir
  • zacharygta likes this

RoDa070
  • RoDa070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

Plus they get to much boost power when you simply pres forward and brakes like a airplane

• Dezcartez likes this

RoDa070
  • RoDa070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:20 AM

do yoy have the game sir 

Yes sir, tip for you you can see which direction they coming in ur mini map ( flashlights ) plus just find your self driving to a spot where you cant be found easy ( voila avoided police without any damage, already worked with 4 stars only thing is that you get some bullet holes in ur car :)

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

Driving is much faster in V than it was in iv, and there is MUCH more traffic as weiil. The GTA IV handling would have made GTA V a traffic simulator.

Not going to lie I don't like the way cars speed. I wanted a greater sense of speed but not exactly like what was shown. I guess I'll prefer driving heavy slower cars in this game. Heard somebody say that it was hard to drive slow/cruise in the game and if so then that is a let down as I cruise like 24/7 to take in the vibe of the map and admire the car.

• the_kid311, RoDa070, Vuldmund Soraldsen and 2 others like this

nekkidhillbilly
  • nekkidhillbilly

gta vigi game

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

i dont get the gta4 is a sim bullsh*t honestly. ive been driving since i was 12 yo and im 32 now. i live in area with nothing but curvy mountain roads. 4 was a better improvement on the earlier games but it was no where near what real life driving is.

• Scaglietti, Supreme_Masta and k0NG3ØRN like this

RoDa070
  • RoDa070

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

i dont get the gta4 is a sim bullsh*t honestly. ive been driving since i was 12 yo and im 32 now. i live in area with nothing but curvy mountain roads. 4 was a better improvement on the earlier games but it was no where near what real life driving is.

The game is 18+ the ones who say its a sim are 18-

• Alpinefear likes this

Neckbeard
  • Neckbeard

who?

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

As I said in the other topic the driving is worse than in GTA IV but I can live with it

Only the sport cars are completely unplayable

• eric91611 likes this

azali10
  • azali10

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

Not going to lie I don't like the way cars speed. I wanted a greater sense of speed but not exactly like what was shown. I guess I'll prefer driving heavy slower cars in this game. Heard somebody say that it was hard to drive slow/cruise in the game and if so then that is a let down as I cruise like 24/7 to take in the vibe of the map and admire the car.

Dude, my point on the other thread wasn't that GTAV driving is realistic. It's unrealistic as f*ck. My point is IV is unrealistic too. And if you had bothered to read the rest of the post you'd realize that my ultimate point was that it isn't supposed to be realistic. It's supposed to be fun. In games like NFS, Saints Row, and GTA people want action movie driving not a driving sim. It's supposed to be fun, not realistic.

• PIOCapacitor, itsnotbrad, Caldemar and 1 other like this

Thatdirehit
  • Thatdirehit

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

I absolutely love the driving mechanics. I don't want a thing changed. 

IT would be considerate of rockstar, and it would squash all these bullsh*t threads, if they created an option for more "realistic" mechanics. 

I hate the threads begging rockstar to patch the driving. It's slap in the face for the people who don't want a  Gta 4 repeat. If the cars handled like they do in 4 then the mission where you rescue Micheal's son would be a bitch to get through. 

Anyways Rockstar should, like previously mentioned, just create an option for both mechanics. 

• DK42 likes this

Dalamo
  • Dalamo

It's all down south now.

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

I played for like 2-3 hours at a friend's house. From what I've played, I love it. I loved the handling in IV aswell, as I only played ranked races, but going back to IV after playing V... I prefer the agile, grippy feeling on V more than the sloppy, heavy steering in IV. Plus, every other aspect oF V is better than IV, in my opinion.

Enjoy the game, fellas. :)

• k0NG3ØRN likes this

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

EVERYONE WHO HATES THE DRIVING:

Turn on the Slidey Cars cheat. It makes the game feel so much better it's utterly insane.

bigportae86
  • bigportae86

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

GTA IV was perfect in my opinion. all cars had body roll some more then others and was realistic. GTA V is a full on arcade game compared to IV. GTA IV was not the best, but extremely fun. 

For people who say "just flicking right to left in real life doesnt make u drift........" have CLEARLY never driven a rwd car.. Flicking is exaclty how you kick the back out. 

STOP DICK RIDING GTA AND ADMIT DRIVING SUCKING IN EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE WAY IN GTA V. coutersteering... there is no countersteering.. ANY suspension work, NONE, no body roll in any of the cars.. the camera just moves more for SUV's... as soon as u kick the back out by handbrake (CUZ THERES NO oTHER WAY) and try to countersteer u spin out.. EVEN RAIN SUCKS

• ?!=+_-, DrAnomalous, MasterZH and 5 others like this

Zinthaniel
  • Zinthaniel

Master Debater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

The driving mechanics in 4 where horrible. It was the one GTA i played purely for the missions because exploring was such a chore. 

Gta v driving mechanics are perfect. 

In gta 4 I spent most of annoyingly balancing "too fast" and "too sharp a turn" while trying to get from point a to point b. In V I can just jump in the car and go. Simple. No learning curve. Just go and have fun. I love that. I don't want realism, not that GTAIV was realistic anyways. 

• yasiralsgf, ChrisPerry2 and Mirage Las Vegas like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

Well I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand they're not that bad, but cars don't seem to have much character at all. In GTA IV you know when you're driving a muscle car/sedan compared to a sports car.

GTA V feels too rigid IMO. I'm not going to let it get in my way of enjoying GTA V, but I kinda wish it had more resemblance to GTA IV's.

• Jehannum, lazy. and Videogames888 like this

Thatdirehit
  • Thatdirehit

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:41 AM Edited by Thatdirehit, 18 September 2013 - 01:43 AM.

GTA IV was perfect in my opinion. all cars had body roll some more then others and was realistic. GTA V is a full on arcade game compared to IV. GTA IV was not the best, but extremely fun. 

For people who say "just flicking right to left in real life doesnt make u drift........" have CLEARLY never driven a rwd car.. Flicking is exaclty how you kick the back out. 

STOP DICK RIDING GTA AND ADMIT DRIVING SUCKING IN EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE WAY IN GTA V. coutersteering... there is no countersteering.. ANY suspension work, NONE, no body roll in any of the cars.. the camera just moves more for SUV's... as soon as u kick the back out by handbrake (CUZ THERES NO oTHER WAY) and try to countersteer u spin out.. EVEN RAIN SUCKS

Yeah no I'm not going to admit to something that is not true. 

You have your opinion and other's have their. And the truth of the matter is not everyone agrees with your opinion. Simple. 

Gta V has great driving mechanics. And not everyone who thinks this is trying to parade that they also think it is more realistic, most believe it's just more fun, realistic or not.  

It's great just the way it is. 

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

Well I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand they're not that bad, but cars don't seem to have much character at all. In GTA IV you know when you're driving a muscle car/sedan compared to a sports car.

GTA V feels too rigid IMO. I'm not going to let it get in my way of enjoying GTA V, but I kinda wish it had more resemblance to GTA IV's.

I'm suggesting you turn on the Slidey Cars cheat. It's not just sliding--it basically makes the cars drive like IV but a little more planted. I'm turning it on everytime I boot the game up.
  • GTKING1st likes this

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

YourDaughterLetMeSmash

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:51 AM Edited by GTAction99, 18 September 2013 - 01:51 AM.

It's great, a huge step-up from IV, I like it alot.

It took me a few minutes to get used to, but the cars feel much more responsive, and alot faster. I like it. 

The cars also sound alot better than IV, the Sultan for example had a huge upgrade in it's sound, I like it alot.

• Foxhunt likes this

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

I dont like the driving in V, its not that its "bad" really. It just feels utilitarian. You can drive, turn, go fast, escape from the popo etc. However you cannot do any of that with any amount of flair or excess.

If your flying down a road and there is a corner you can turn and you will go around the corner. You wont drift, or have a close call or anything.

If your coming up on an intersection and your light turns red as you go through you can stop, from full speed, before you hit any cars without problem or anything. You just stop.

You cannot drift, do doughnuts, slide, fishtail, etc. It just feels like it was made to get you from point a to point b quickly and efficiently...

IV was not really realistic, but it was fun. Running from the cops was like an action movie chase scene. It was fun and you had options. Now when you drive, you simply go fast, its easy and its efficient, but not fun.

Now turn on the sliding cars cheat. Its harder, and you cant go as fast, but suddenly you can do things that cars can normally do, but cant in the game. You mash the gas as you take off and your peeling out, fishtailing down the road for a bit. If your more gentle with the gas you just take off quickly. When you come up to a turn, you can fling the car into the turn and it will slide tail out while you countersteer and gas, if your good and not doing anything really crazy you will get through sliding tail out and continue down the road. You could also just slow down a bit and go through the corner normally. You can drift, do doughnuts, and even driving off road feels different than on road driving.

These are the things that have come to my mind as the worst issues with the driving. I have just been driving around Los Santos for the last couple hours trying to get used to the cars and trying to have fun with them. I so far have been unable to get past these issues...

1. You can turn sharply and nail the throttle and the tail doesnt come out at all. Try this in a real car especially one with some kind of limited slip differential (sports cars and "super" cars) you will spin around faster than you will know what happened. Its like all the cars in the game have some crazy super advanced traction control on at all times.

2. You barely have to slow down to take any corners. Assuming that the faster cars have a top speed of at least 130mph there is no way your going to come close to a 90 degree corner at an intersection with any resemblance of decent car handling physics. The grip is insane, the cars handle like F1 cars with thousands of lbs of down force and racing slicks. These are the stock cars, I have not even modified any since im sure it will just make the problem worse.

3. You can go from top speed to stopped in less than the space of an intersection. This makes driving too easy since you can just slam the brakes and stop nearly instantly. You can also accelerate as fast as you stop, making mistakes and crashes almost pointless since there is hardly any time lost.

4. Driving off road has the same grip as driving on road. Anyone who has ever taken a car down a gravel road knows that driving on gravel/dirt is totally different. The car slides around and has MUCH MUCH less grip than when on the road.

5. Trying to drive at any speed other than as fast as you can possibly go feels like trying to play a shooter with the aim sensitivity turned up too high.

• OG Viking, ?!=+_-, ShouldKnowBetter and 11 others like this

adrien1988
  • adrien1988

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:55 AM

does anyone have programming skills here? would it take much work to make an arcade/sim option? if its only changing some values in a preexisting script, then a patch for that option would be so doable no?

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:59 AM Edited by Piramic, 18 September 2013 - 02:00 AM.

does anyone have programming skills here? would it take much work to make an arcade/sim option? if its only changing some values in a preexisting script, then a patch for that option would be so doable no?

I know it wouldnt be hard because the cheat does almost exactly the same thing that needs to be done to fix it. Make a check box in the options menu and have it activate the cheat at all times. Maybe add cheat_grip * 1.15 or something since they are a little bit too freed up with the cheat on, but just let us drift and slide for the love of god please

Obviously its not hard to alter the handling if they made the cheat and it affects the grip of all the cars. One other thing I would like to see is a longer time it takes to turn the wheel from lock to lock. In a real car you have to turn the wheel at least 1.5 times to steer from one extreme to another, in the game its as fast as you can move the stick. Thats part of the twitchy handling I think...

• Boxman108 likes this

bigportae86
  • bigportae86

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Yeah no I'm not going to admit to something that is not true. 

You have your opinion and other's have their. And the truth of the matter is not everyone agrees with your opinion. Simple. 

Gta V has great driving mechanics. And not everyone who thinks this is trying to parade that they also think it is more realistic, most believe it's just more fun, realistic or not.  

It's great just the way it is. 

70% of gta is driving, running from cops, drivebys, donuts around a random pole, driving slow and obeying the traffic laws (sometimes). ALL that is ruined. you turn right and it INSTANTLY turns right. try parking ur car... most unrealistic thing iv seen.

They added tennis, smoking weed ALOT of other sh*t that im only gonna do once.. but driving is one of the main things that was always fun in gta and is now ruined. ID RATHER PLAY BURNOUT PARADISE THAT sh*t IS AMAZING FUN FOR WHAT IT IS.....A MODERN ARCADE GAME. 

GTA went in the right direction with IV, but for GTA V they let the promotion department have WAY more money then they should have....... 

• RoDa070, DK42, denholms and 2 others like this

TempAccount
  • TempAccount

IV > V

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:31 AM Edited by TempAccount, 18 September 2013 - 03:15 AM.

Obama actually made a small quip about GTA V's driving mechanics today:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

• Crimson Flam3s, catcha25 and DarkBeastBoy like this

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

if your flying down a road and there is a corner you can turn and you will go around the corner. You wont drift, or have a close call or anything.

I must be playing a different game from you? Because I can never really go around a corner at high speeds without slamming into the buildings on the other side of the road...and in some vehicles I actually slide out of control (Much like in GTA 4)...The one acceptation being Franklin and using his special ability.

Overall I think the driving is great fun, everyone has their own opinions and tastes...but I honestly dont get how soo many people really do not like the new driving. It is mix of Old school GTA and GTA 4's driving...and refined some. Its still lots of fun.  GTA has always been an Arcady game, and never was meant to be some driving simulator.

• Deji, Kendoyid, MercyfulFate151 and 4 others like this

Piramic
  • Piramic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

if your flying down a road and there is a corner you can turn and you will go around the corner. You wont drift, or have a close call or anything.

I must be playing a different game from you? Because I can never really go around a corner at high speeds without slamming into the buildings on the other side of the road...and in some vehicles I actually slide out of control (Much like in GTA 4)...The one acceptation being Franklin and using his special ability.

Overall I think the driving is great fun, everyone has their own opinions and tastes...but I honestly dont get how soo many people really do not like the new driving. It is mix of Old school GTA and GTA 4's driving...and refined some. Its still lots of fun.  GTA has always been an Arcady game, and never was meant to be some driving simulator.

The excess grip is so limiting. Also its really really easy, I feel like there is no challenge except to not turn too sharp when going slower. I have crashed into things on the inside of turns more than the outside of turns because the cars turn too well. Driving feels less like driving and more like aiming. Infact when I started the game and the driving was all wonky the first thing I did was turn down the aim sensitivity to see if that had anything to do with the driving...

• Calanguento, RolfStarGames, DK42 and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users