Photo

Gta Sa Steam lag on Ubuntu

8 replies to this topic
Deminu
  • Deminu

Drifter In Training

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hey everybody, I have finally gone legit and got the steam version of San Andreas during the summer sale. I run it on Ubuntu using wine through a complicated process of getting the windows version of steam and downloading GTA and then moving everything to my linux steam directory. Not that complicated after all i guess but whatever. Anyway, even with everything turned down with the resoloution at 640x480 16 I only get something like 12 fps. Now this makes no sense because though its old my pc meets the system requirements for San Andreas:

Sempron LE-1200 2.1 GHz

1 GB 667mhz ddr3 ram

Integrated 6100

And im running ubuntu 13.04

Also if someone says "You need a new pc" I will rage all over my desk. My pc CLEARLY meets the sa system requirements, and I am building a new pc anyway at some point, but i still want to play untill then. Just for ****s and giggles(forget if theres language rules here so *ed anyway) heres the new pc specs just so you guys can argue about it.

Intel i5-2500k

ASUS Sabertooth P67 Sabertooth

GTX 660 Ti or HD 7950 depending on which is cheaper at frys

8 GB 2133 MHz RAM

First 600w PSU I see at frys that is from a good brand like antec :D (No comments about that... Please...)

So anyways, can someone help me out here? Also when i exit to desktop my resoloution does not change back to my native resoloution and all the voices/radios/etc. are much louder than background noise/engines/etc. if anyone can help with those.

Sorry for such a long post but I like to be detailed to avoid having to post more info before I can get my problem solved so I tried to add as much as I can. Still if theres anything else I forgot to add that is needed to solve my problem please let me know :)

Thanks!

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

I never saw any Hype about Ubuntu having any applications for playing Games. It seemed to me that it was mainly a 'Business' related system with personal apps (photo/music).

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

Ubuntu can't run Windows programs natively, so it uses Wine to emulate them. Emulation takes more resources than the minimum\recommended requirements for the game, so it makes sense that the game lags. If you want to play it properly you should install a Windows operating system on your PC. From what I heard emulation on Ubuntu is pretty bad, so it's not really worth it. Linux operating systems aren't good for games.

Deminu
  • Deminu

Drifter In Training

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:36 AM Edited by XxCopHunterxX, 19 September 2013 - 03:41 AM.

Nope. No windows. Also I have a lot of experience with emulating games and on my system I don't have much of an fps hit, around 5 max. Besides, it also lagged when I used to run Windows, so I tend to think this is irrelevent.

EDIT: I really don't appreciate people telling me what people use linux for like I am some kind of noob, and telling me to get Windows.

Let me put it this way.

WIndows is essentially a pussy OS. Forgive me if this is offensive but it is how I feel and I am glad to be rid of Windows.

EDIT2: Also, sorry if I am being a bit mean about this, but I have honestly had coutless experiences where people just beat around the bush telling me things that don't solve my original problem, like, "Buy a new PC" when I am just asking opinions on a good graphics upgrade. Basically I am sick of that happening and I really just want to get my original problem solved most of the time. Again, I am sorry if any part of this sounds mean, but this happens so often.

To get back to the original question, what can I do to improve my FPS (expecially when running my full 1280x1024 resoloution) without going back to Windows?

Deminu
  • Deminu

Drifter In Training

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Also recently i now get a short lag spike every 10-15 seconds and the sound once I load my saved game is gone.

Deminu
  • Deminu

Drifter In Training

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

One final thing. I have read that turning off Vertex shaders and turning on pixel shaders helps, but this option is nonexistant in my winecfg. Help???

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

One final thing. I have read that turning off Vertex shaders and turning on pixel shaders helps, but this option is nonexistant in my winecfg. Help???

That sounds like nonsense. You have to have both running. It used to be that on older hardware there was a choice of running fixed pipe or shader. But on modern cards that isn't even an option. Even if you are running older game designed for fixed pipeline, what you'll actually get is some stock shaders emulating said pipeline.

Now, with Wine, things are a bit more complicated. Wine is going to sit somewhere between the DX library and OpenGL drivers on your machine and translate DX calls into OpenGL calls. In principle, Wine should be able to report to the game that it has no shader support. Basically, pretend that your system has a very old graphics card with fixed piepline only. Maybe that's what is meant by turning the shader off. But then this will still only work with games that can run on fixed pipeline. SA is probably such a game, since it's from DX8 era. But then your hardware still has to run a vertex and a pixel shader that emulates the fixed piepline in either case. So I don't see how it'd make a significant difference if any at all.

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

Why not just use a real OS? Ubuntu is terrible for just about anything besides basic stuff and internet surfing.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

To get back to the original question, what can I do to improve my FPS (expecially when running my full 1280x1024 resoloution) without going back to Windows?

This might sound abrupt, but there's nothing you can do to run the game properly on that system without Windows. Just wait until you get that new PC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users