1,190 replies to this topic
peanham5000
  • peanham5000

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Reported the issue to Rockstar

"Hi, 

i have an older xbox and like many people i am having a freezing issue where the older xbox isnt able to run the game correctly. i am not the only one with this issue, please look at the link

my xbox runs all other games fine and i have tried my disk in someone else xbox and their disk in mine and it works for him but not for me.

Please can you address this issue as people with the older xbox cant play the game and are stuck with a £40\$60 game that they cant play or get a refund.

If the older xbox cant run the game then the game should come with a system requirements notice on the back because it states that the game will play on a xbox 360 which means any version, this is not the case as the attached link confirms. This must be a breech of the UK 'Sale of Goods Act 1974' as the game is not fit for purpose.

Please will you advise if this issue is being looked at by the technical teams at rockstar or are you going to keep blaming the console which is working perfectly for other games.

All i want to do is play GTA V but if this matter is not looked into i will contact trading standards about this issue.

Regards "

if you want to report use link below

• BuQQzz and Purps Aki like this

NhiZin_
  • NhiZin_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Is anyone having this freezing problem while not playing on an older white Xbox 360?

I'm on a new slim, right when I put the game in it loads until there are 4 stars in the top right corner and freezes, tried installing on usb and it says disk is unreadable at 35% every time.

anty1994
  • anty1994

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Does anyone think it could be caused by a too small hard drive? Maybe getting a 60gb or 120gb hard drive and putting it the older console? I just want to play :(

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:30 PM Edited by w3llborn, 19 September 2013 - 06:32 PM.

Is anyone having this freezing problem while not playing on an older white Xbox 360?

I'm on a new slim, right when I put the game in it loads until there are 4 stars in the top right corner and freezes, tried installing on usb and it says disk is unreadable at 35% every time.
Hmmm.. This is a little worrisome. Everyone I know who has a new slim hasn't had any problems at all. I thought it was due to just having older models.

Edit: you were able to fully install the first disc without problems though right?

darkangelism
  • darkangelism

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

Does anyone think it could be caused by a too small hard drive? Maybe getting a 60gb or 120gb hard drive and putting it the older console? I just want to play :(

I have a 250GB drive that I self upgraded and another official 250GB drive from another console and mine freezes. 

NhiZin_
  • NhiZin_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:40 PM Edited by NhiZin_, 19 September 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Hmmm.. This is a little worrisome. Everyone I know who has a new slim hasn't had any problems at all. I thought it was due to just having older models.

Edit: you were able to fully install the first disc without problems though right?

Yeah, first disk installed alright, I just cant use the play disc.... and it's not just the disc since I've had 2 of them now and they both stop at the same spot

Macadelics
  • Macadelics

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Don't bother contacting Rockstar Support they're no help with this problem... I just got a reply back and this is what they said.

I replied to Rockstar's email with a link to this thread. Hopefully that proves to them that it's not just my Xbox.

Macadelics - Do you have the link to Rockstar Support??  

I figure the more we report and link this thread the quicker we'll get a formal response.  At this point, I feel like that is all we can do...

Yeah just go to Rockstar's Support page and click "Submit a request"

http://support.rockstargames.com

Everyone should go a submit a ticket with a link to this thread.

Macadelics
  • Macadelics

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

I wen't over to my buddies dorm room today and he has the same Xbox 360 I have and bought it around the same time I did.. His Xbox isn't having this problem and I was so pissed when I saw that WHY ME!?!?!

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

So I borrowed a 360 today.  It's a white 360 20gb WITH HDMI (mine is without).

I already had disc 1 installed to my HDD, I'm in the process of installing disc 2 to USB.  Hope this works.  My goal is to play it over the weekend and nerd out on it.  Then I'm ebaying GTA and my 360.

peanham5000
  • peanham5000

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

i unplugged xbox live and dropped to 720 and got aboit an hour out of it when the screen went white apart from my main character and a few foreground items (trees & bushes) then this happend

http://postimg.org/image/733c1obrx/

i could still move and walk around but it was unplayable. when quit to dashboard and restarted the game but within 5mins it froze up on me as usual.

i have reported this extra info to rockstar

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

I got my 250 gb new slim xbox 360 booting up and all that jazz.  Will try to play gta 5 on it and will report back.  Just letting you know that if you buy from wal mart, they have a 15 day period warrenty and then xbox takes over the rest for the next year.  Not sure if gamestop does this or not but it wasnt worth me trying. 

How is it working on the new system?

nickray84
  • nickray84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

So I've just taken the time to get another beer and pause the game.  It works great on the new xbox 360e 250gb edition like it way it was supposed to.  This confirms for me that it is indeed because we have old xbox's but still is no excuse for rockstar to not have made it compatible with them.  I see either a patch, refund or lawsuit coming out of this if enough people get together and complain to them to get it through their thick skulls that they have a serious problem.  The game is great however but I basically dropped 300 bux to play it. 

• w3llborn likes this

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

well it looks like I am buying a new console then

pineapplecoaster
  • pineapplecoaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:27 PM Edited by pineapplecoaster, 19 September 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Yep, same here. The problem now is that anyone having to fix this with a new console is dropping anywhere from $100 to $300 when the next gen systems are right around the corner. The timing of all this is just wretched. Watch, we'll all get new consoles and right after the refund date passes Rockstar will make a patch.

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yea that is what I'm worried about.  Spend the money now, and then have a patch come out in a week or so.  I'm not too worried about next gen system as I'm going to hold off on the xbox One for a little while.

Ikkus
  • Ikkus

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Borrowed a friend's newer-than-mine Xbox 360. His has HDMI and mine doesn't. Using the same discs, even the same installation, works perfectly on his. It's still completely unplayable on mine, which has no problem playing any other game.

Pretty sh*tty that this game wasnt more thoroughly tested using all models of Xbox 360's.
  • w3llborn likes this

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

So I borrowed a 360 today.  It's a white 360 20gb WITH HDMI (mine is without).

I already had disc 1 installed to my HDD, I'm in the process of installing disc 2 to USB.  Hope this works.  My goal is to play it over the weekend and nerd out on it.  Then I'm ebaying GTA and my 360.

Just reporting in to say that the game works perfect now.  Still using my HDD,my USB, and my game discs that I tried using yesterday. 

So it's pretty much a disc drive issue with older 360's w/o HDMI port.  Not sure what the deal is with newer ones if it's having the problem.

darkangelism
  • darkangelism

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yep, same here. The problem now is that anyone having to fix this with a new console is dropping anywhere from $100 to $300 when the next gen systems are right around the corner. The timing of all this is just wretched. Watch, we'll all get new consoles and right after the refund date passes Rockstar will make a patch.

Yeah buying a new console seems extreme, I don't own a PS3 so I could justify that and play all the exclusives that I missed this generation in addition to GTAV

nickray84
  • nickray84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

another option is maybe taking the game back, getting another copy that is still shrink wrapped and selling that close to msrp price.  I thought about that before buying another console, the xbox i had that wasnt running gta5 looks like its going for about 100 on c-list however so I might end up selling the old. 

1stworldproblems
  • 1stworldproblems

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

Man I'm not buying a new system for this game especially since every other game I have works fine and the new gen consoles are right around the corner.  I will just never buy one of their games again.

How about Rockstar let people know upfront that there could be problems with older consoles before you buy, and your system may or may not work with their code.

PhilroyJenkins
  • PhilroyJenkins

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

I got my game yesterday, but i still haven't opened it yet. What should i do?

ceaton88
  • ceaton88

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

Panic dude

• BuQQzz likes this

PhilroyJenkins
  • PhilroyJenkins

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:27 PM Edited by PhilroyJenkins, 19 September 2013 - 10:28 PM.

Panic dude

I have the older xbox too, so now I'm in a dilemma. Either i open the game to try it out and wait for a patch, if it happens, or buy a new xbox...

ReaperCru
  • ReaperCru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

So created this account soley to show this is not an isolated problem.  Older model Xbox 360 which is clearly the common denominator.  I cleaned out my hard drive and X-Box reinstalled etc. and only get maybe 20 minutes of gameplay before it freezes.  Tweeted at rockstar and rockstar support.  We shouldn't have to make all these modifications to our resolution or X-Box live status simply to play a game that was marketed as having no issue with out systems/  100% not buying a new console for the purpose of playing this game because that's a load of BS.  They don't patch this soon they will never see a dime of my money.  Extremely frustrated right now.

• peanham5000 likes this

tones_the_tiger
  • tones_the_tiger

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

I JUST EMAILED ROCKSTAR AND THIS IS THE RESPONSE TO MY EMAIL BENEATH

Paige B, Sep 19 06:19 pm (EDT):
Hello Tonyleesherman,

Thanks for calling Rockstar Support.
I am sorry you are experiencing problems with the game.

Please try the following steps;

-Delete any GTA V install data that is on the Xbox 360 storage device
-Clear the Xbox 360 Cache: System Settings->Storage->Highlight Storage Device and Press Y->Choose Clear Cache->Confirm
-Re-attempt the installation.

If this does not help.
Please provide the following details:

Name of the Store
Location of the Store
Platform
Which disc is failing
Brief description of the problem
As soon as you reply we will look into it.
We deeply apologized for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Paige B.

Tonyleesherman, Sep 19 06:15 pm (EDT):
The very first midnight launch I got a copy, the next day I played until Franklins 2nd mission and the game froze on me. I restarted and tried again and it just kept freezing, so I assumed I got a bad disk. I returned the disk and got a newer one and now I can't even get past the prologue without freezing. My xbox runs fine with other games, but it is a 2008 non hdmi model. I have read forums in which a large amount of people with my edition of Xbox are experiencing the same exact problems. Found here :

http://gtaforums.com...view=getnewpost

Please take a look at the complaints, and let me know of any details concerning a patch or update to fix this problem with older consoles. I really do not want to have to shell out hundreds of dollars when my xbox plays all my other games besides gta V perfectly fine. Thank you

peanham5000
  • peanham5000

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Get a common hashtag going and copy in rockstar support and rockstar and ign and other accounts that will ramp up the pressure on them to do something!

owl95
  • owl95

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:54 PM Edited by owl95, 19 September 2013 - 11:12 PM.

Alright guys, I've been watching this thread closely since yesterday. My story is as follows:

Got the game on day 1. Played for a good hour, almost two when it froze. I didn't pay much attention to it, sometimes it happens, so I turned the console off and called it a day.

Next day, the really problem started showing up. The game started freezing and freezing, just something that happened constantly. (This didn't work, this is just what I did.)

So, I have an Xbox 360 pre-HDMI Premium model hooked with a 120GB HDD. I reinstalled the game again and it still froze. Mind you, I could get AT LEAST half an hour of gameplay everytime, so I can progress through the campaign easily, just have to reboot my console once it freezes. I have a 20GB HDD laying around, so I tried installing it on that. Got maybe 3 or 4 hours of gameplay out of it, and I turned off because I had to run an errand. When I came back, played for an hour before it froze.

Now, I kept playing and it kept freezing. It's totally a headache, but not to the point where it's unbearable to play the game. I went out and bought a 16GB Kingston USB 2.0 stick, installed the play disc there (read it on an IGN thread) and played for a good bit until it froze. At this point I realized the problem was not because of a faulty disc, but rather something else. 

Came here, saw that the common thing among freezing games is the console. Naturally, I shot Rockstar an email, because even though it doesn't stop me from playing the game, it certaintly is an headache. 

Third day, I start up the console and play for a good 3 hours before it freezes. Something I noticed is that the first attempt is usually one that goes for a good while before it freezes. Everytime it freezes, I switch HDDs and clear the cache on both the HDD and the USB stick. It lets me play for an hour everytime. 

Well, got the reply from Rockstar. They still don't acknowledge it's their problem, but hey, it's a reply.

Hello,

-Clear the Xbox 360 Cache: System Settings->Storage->Highlight Storage Device and Press Y->Choose Clear Cache->Confirm

If this does not help.

Name of the Store

Location of the Store

Platform

Which disc is failing

Brief description of the problem

Regards,

Preston H.

Preston H.

So, I'll leave it for you guys.

Gaz 1976
  • Gaz 1976

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

That's interesting. I've also noticed that I can usually get half an hour of play before the first freeze when the xbox has been off for a few hours. After the first freeze, they are frequent. If I leave the console off for a few hours, I get minimum half an hour again. This all makes me think that it's some sort of heat/processor problem with the older units. This doesn't bode well for a swift fix...

MeatButcher
  • MeatButcher

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

I just sent the following message to Rockstar Support.  

Good afternoon.

I am an Xbox owner.  The age of my Xbox is approximately 6 years old.  It is a replacement Xbox that Microsoft provided after my original Xbox died due to "Red Ring of Death".  The box does not have an HDMI port.

After purchasing the game last Tuesday, I had no problems installing the game onto the harddrive.  Once disc 1 was installed, I inserted disc 2 as prompted.  From there I was able to play the introductory mission without any issues.  I watched the opening credits.  The game continued just fine during the cut scene transition between Michael and Franklin.  It was during the driving portion of Franklin's 1st mission that I experienced my first game freeze.

When the game freezes, everything locks up.  If the rumble pack in the controller was vibrating, it continues to vibrate.  The silver Xbox button on the controller does not work and therefore I cannot return to the homescreen/dashboard.  The only way out of the freeze is by pressing the power button on the Xbox console.

Once rebooting, the Xbox starts up just fine without any issues.  When I attempt to play GTA V after a freeze/crash, I start right at the start of Franklin's 1st mission.  After the mission starts and the driving begins, the game usually freezes/crashes as described above within 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

When the game is working, it looks beautiful.  It plays great and the frame rate is smooth.  No issues with objects loading in late.  I don't hear my Xbox working any harder than it normally does with other games.  The game freezes/crashes feel very abrupt and random with no obvious reasons.

Since this has started, none of my other games have had any issues.  all of my older games run just fine.  My Xbox is not on the verge of dying.

I started a thread on the offical GTA Forums two days ago describing the same issues as I have described in my letter.  
Since my posting, the thread has gotten over 7,670 views and received over 177 replies.  Large part of the thread discussion has been observing similar issues on a large number of Xbox owners and attempts of troubleshooting this issue.  Please read this thread.  Please acknowledge this issue.  Please comment on this issue and tell us what you are doing to fix it.  We may be a small minority of players that could be easy to overlook, but we are Xbox owners that deserve to know what Rockstar is doing to support us.

Thank you,
MeatButcher

PhilroyJenkins
  • PhilroyJenkins

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

If this does not help. 

- Name of the Store 
- Location of the Store 
- Platform 
- Which disc is failing 
- Brief description of the problem

Regards, 
Paige B.

Just received this message not to long ago... doesn't really help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users