Photo

Xbox 360 - Game Keeps Freezing on Franklin's 1st Mission

1,189 replies to this topic
Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Managed to pass Franklins mission. Currently the newer console is working but again. this its only a short time after the average freeze times...

• sn3 parks 87 and king 20 like this

Bigstank
  • Bigstank

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:20 PM Edited by Bigstank, 18 September 2013 - 07:22 PM.

Maybe i got it, i wanted to install the play disc but it stops and said the disc was scratched. So i tried it with another disc from assassins creed and it also said it scratched.

Can anyone try to install the playdisc, maybe we have a common laser in our old xbox witch scratches the discs

i installed play disc fine, i just think the older models dont have the power to run a game this demanding

I thought that older models have mostly the same hardware...but there does seem to be some correlation between the freezing and older model 360's. 

Sure looks that way, I have an older model (2008), and it freezes every 5-20 minutes. Played it on my cousin's 2012 and it worked fine for 6 hours straight.

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

So I took my hard drive and usb drive to my cousins.  I'm installing his disc 1 to my hdd, and disc 2 to my usb.  Judging from what I'm reading, this isnt going to work.  Still in process of installing to hdd.  Will update when I get back home.  FYI his console is old school one, 20gb no hdmi, and he has no issues.

Gaz 1976
  • Gaz 1976

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Uh oh. The common theme throughout this thread seems to be older Xboxes, which may mean that there ain't going to be any workaround any time soon. In some ways I wish it just didn't even start on my system, then I wouldn't have got so into it, only to have it freeze up on me after 5 minutes. I'm hoping Rockstar is going to address this sooner rather than later. 

CHICITY85
  • CHICITY85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

my game is unplayable now it freezing at the load screen now when it do work i can only play for like 3 to 5 mins and it freeze i just came back from play n trade getting my game buff that didnt work i have a 08 model xbox rockstar need to fix this asap

CHICITY85
  • CHICITY85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

http://www.gamepur.c...g-x360ps3-.html we not alone people with new 360's having the same issues but rockstar saying its  our 360s 

Caseyskc
  • Caseyskc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Rockstar seem to be focused on the app issues and the play disc installation problems, they have turned a blind eye to the older console issues. I understand we are the minority complaining but it's an issue that needs address as if it can be patched people need to return the game as it is unplayable with the freezing. Also if cant be patched a system requirement would be need on the box or warning stated must be console version... Or it is claiming it works on any 360 console of working standard which we can see is not true as of yet

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:02 PM Edited by anatomyhorror, 18 September 2013 - 09:03 PM.

So I took my hard drive and usb drive to my cousins.  I'm installing his disc 1 to my hdd, and disc 2 to my usb.  Judging from what I'm reading, this isnt going to work.  Still in process of installing to hdd.  Will update when I get back home.  FYI his console is old school one, 20gb no hdmi, and he has no issues.

Game still does not work, just froze after playing it for about 20min after doing installs from another disc thats gauranteed to work.

Going to attempt to take my 360 apart and clean it.  I've never done this before.  If I break it, w/e. 

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:03 PM Edited by w3llborn, 18 September 2013 - 09:04 PM.

@ Bigstank

How has the game been working on the newer xbox, still not freezing?  I do think that the problem is that the game cannot run smoothly on the older version Xbox's.  I have a few friends who have not had any problems and they are playing on newer Xbox's while mine, which is about 6 years old, freezes randomly every 5-15 min.

Macadelics
  • Macadelics

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:14 PM Edited by Macadelics, 18 September 2013 - 09:15 PM.

Don't bother contacting Rockstar Support they're no help with this problem... I just got a reply back and this is what they said.

Hey Macadelic5,

Rockstar games frequently read data off the disc, and the following behaviors suggest that the game cannot read the disc and there may be a problem with either the disc or the console.
Grand Theft Auto V
No audio 
Cut-scenes stuttering or freezing in random locations, but only on that disc or console 
Sound effects playing, but no dialogue audio or dialogue cutting in and out 
Random, non-reproducible crashes and freezes that only happen when using a particular disc or console 
Getting to a spot where you know there should be a cutscene, but no cutscene plays and all you can do is walk around the area 
Generic text showing up in Xbox dashboard or PS3 XMB when viewing game icon 
Popping in of objects in high level-of-detail environment or textures, objects being unusually slow to load in
PS3 beeping and turning itself off 
Being kicked back to the PS3 XMB or Xbox 360 dashboard without warning 
Being unable to install the game to the hard drive on 360 (stalling at the same % each time), or freezing during game data installation on the PS3.
Here are the steps to determine whether the issue is with the disc or the console:
1. Examine your disc for scratches, dust, or obvious damage. Clean the disc with a soft cloth or cleaning kit and try the game again.
If the game works for a certain period of time and then the issues begin to recur with increasing frequency, then the console disc player may be dirty and affecting the disc over time. If you are putting more hours into these Rockstar discs than other games, this effect of the dirty console on the disc may be pronounced, despite the fact that other games with less playtime appear to be working properly. 
If the game still does not work after cleaning, proceed to step 2.

1. Test the disc in another console (e.g., at a friend's house, store, local gaming center) and also try a new disc in your console if possible. If the game works fine on another console, the issue may be console-related, especially if game data has been deleted and save files have been temporarily transferred off the memory device to test. If the game does not work on another console, clean the disc again and try again on the second console. If the game does not work at that point, the disc is likely scratched or damaged. If you test a second, brand new disc in your console and the problem is fixed, the disc is likely the issue. If you test a second, brand new disc in your console and the issues still occur, the console may be the problem, especially if game data has been deleted and save files have been temporarily transferred off the memory device to test. If you believe that you may have a problem with your console, please contact Sony or Microsoft directly for console troubleshooting and hardware-related services.

If you have a non-working Rockstar Games disc and it is free of scratches, dirt, dust, or obvious damage, we recommend exchanging the disc for a new copy at the store/original seller.

Our warranty covers new discs for 90 days after purchase provided that the receipt clearly indicates that the game is new (not used). The fastest way to receive a replacement disc is to exchange the game with the store/seller for a new copy. In the event that the original seller is not willing or able to provide a new copy, please contact support by clicking Submit a Request at the top of this page for more information about the disc replacement policy.

Thanks
De'Rodd H

Basically Rockstar has no idea what's going on. They're putting blame on my Xbox saying it "can't read discs properly". Which is false because EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME I PLAY WORKS and doesn't freeze up like this. I've never had this problem before and it only occurs with GTA5. I sen't a reply back expressing yet again, I've already tried checking the disc, reinstalling etc.. I'm most likely taking this game back to get my money if there isn't a fix anytime soon. Broke college student needs the money!!

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

My update, No freezes since my last post. Newer console seems to be just fine. will update again later.

Macadelics
  • Macadelics

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

I replied to Rockstar's email with a link to this thread. Hopefully that proves to them that it's not just my Xbox.

Bigstank
  • Bigstank

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

How has the game been working on the newer xbox, still not freezing?  I do think that the problem is that the game cannot run smoothly on the older version Xbox's.  I have a few friends who have not had any problems and they are playing on newer Xbox's while mine, which is about 6 years old, freezes randomly every 5-15 min.

Just talked to him, said he played most of the day and it hasn't froze any. Going to try it on another person's (08' or 09') console later tonight since they wanted to try it before they buy it.

Hopefully an alternative to buying a newer console or being lucky is found.

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:02 PM Edited by w3llborn, 18 September 2013 - 10:03 PM.

Just talked to him, said he played most of the day and it hasn't froze any. Going to try it on another person's (08' or 09') console later tonight since they wanted to try it before they buy it.

Yea I hear you. I don't really want to buy a new 360 just for this game, but I will if that's my only option.

nikolajz1
  • nikolajz1

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Yea I hear you. I don't really want to buy a new 360 just for this game, but I will if that's my only option.

This was the last 360 game I wanted to play before PS4/XB1 came out. Why couldnt it work for two more weeks! Hopefully they decide to make a next gen edition or else I'm out of luck. 

MeatButcher
  • MeatButcher

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thanks all for keeping this thread alive.  I've been reading it throughout the day while at work.

Based on your comments, I've decided it'd be pointless to try to trade in my current game disks for new ones or pick up a 16gb thumb drive.  I was hopeful that reducing the resolution would be a save, but it looks like we are up a creek without a paddle.

Rockstar seem to be focused on the app issues and the play disc installation problems, they have turned a blind eye to the older console issues. I understand we are the minority complaining but it's an issue that needs address as if it can be patched people need to return the game as it is unplayable with the freezing. Also if cant be patched a system requirement would be need on the box or warning stated must be console version... Or it is claiming it works on any 360 console of working standard which we can see is not true as of yet

I fully agree with you Caseyskc!  I think this is going to become a bigger issue that Rockstar will have to address sooner than latter.  Our older Xboxes still bare the name "Xbox 360" and are no different than a newer model other than age.  The older consoles should be able to run the same Xbox 360 games that the newer consoles can.  

I've come to the conclusion that this is a glitch or bug that is causing the game to crash on the older consoles.  Hopefully this is something that is patchable.  The question is how long will it take for Rockstar to properly address this??

Moral of the story?

Don't be an early adopter??  We were burned first with the RROD, now it looks like we are getting burned at the end of the 360 life cycle with GTA GATE.  Think about that before rushing to get a PS4/XB1.  Personally, I've decided that I'm going to save some cash and get a gaming PC.  Maybe I'll enjoy GTA V on that when it comes to the PC.

Coopdogg
  • Coopdogg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

I am also having the same problem and have tried all the above mentioned fixes. I also have an Xbox from 2008 which I bought new. I have a friend with the Halo reach Xbox and he is not having this problem. WTF R* and Microsoft? This needs to be patched ASAP before you lose loyal lifetime customers!

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

So I took it apart, the heatsink was caked in dust.  I was really hoping this was the problem.   Game froze within 10 minutes.

MeatButcher
  • MeatButcher

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

Don't bother contacting Rockstar Support they're no help with this problem... I just got a reply back and this is what they said.

I replied to Rockstar's email with a link to this thread. Hopefully that proves to them that it's not just my Xbox.

Macadelics - Do you have the link to Rockstar Support??  

I figure the more we report and link this thread the quicker we'll get a formal response.  At this point, I feel like that is all we can do...

MeatButcher
  • MeatButcher

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

I just read this in the pinned "If you have an Xbox360 - Read This!" thread.  It's posted at the top of page 5 if you want to read it yourself

http://gtaforums.com...ead-this/page-5

Hi guys,

I'm facing the freeze issue on my 360 version except mine happens every time I'm playing while connected to Xbox Live. The game works perfectly fine disconnected but as soon as I'm online the game freezes after a couple of seconds. This means the issue isn't from my disc but from something else.

Has anyone tried disconnecting their Xbox from Xbox live??

I would try this myself, but I'm about to head out the door.

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:42 PM Edited by anatomyhorror, 18 September 2013 - 10:54 PM.

Let me reiterate on everything I've done.

Keep in mind, I have an original Xbox 360 (has had one RROD, I sent to MS under warranty).  20GB hard drive with NO HDMI port.  I have my 360 hooked up via Component and use an optical digital cord for audio.  I'm not new to doing things like this, I've built computers, taken console's apart, trouble shooted everything under the sun, I'm the person my family calls when they need help with computer/eletronic related stuff.

I will refer to the install disc as Disc 1.  Play disc as Disc 2.  All methods have resulted in freezing, so I will not say that it froze.  It froze if I listed it.  These are HARD freezes.  I've had no issues besides a freeze.  The audio stops, the game stops (looks as if it pauses).  I can't dashboard.  I have to turn the console off.

Method 1 and the correct installation that Rockstar said to do:

Install Disc 1 on your hard drive.

Insert Disc 2 when prompted after the install, and play the game.

Method 2:

Deleted all GTAV related data and Cleared Cache.

Install Disc 1 on HDD

Insert Disc 2 and play.

Method 3:

Deleted all GTAV related data and Cleared Cache.

Disc 1 installed to HDD

Disc 2 installed to USB

Play

Method 4

Keep Disc 2 installed on USB from previous method.

Delete Disc 1 and all related GTAV data from HDD

Reinstall Disc 1 to HDD

Restart console and Clear Cache

Insert Disc 2 and play.

Method 5

Delete all GTAV data on HDD and USB and Clear Cache on both

Install Disc 1 to USB

Insert Disc 2 when prompted and play.

Method 6

Delete all GTAV data on HDD and USB and Clear Cache on both

Keep Disc 1 installed to USB from previous method

Install Disc 2 to HDD.

Play

Method 7 (Thinking it was my disc(s), I tried taking my hard drive and thumbdrive to cousins)

Using cousin's working GTAV discs:

Deleted all data/cleared cache

Install Disc 1 to my HDD

Install Disc 2 to my USB

-Went home, inserted my Disc 2, Play

Method 8

Since I have an old 360 (going on 8 years old) I figured it'd be a great time to take it apart.

I took it apart and sure enough, dust was caked on the heatsink like crazy.  I thought for sure this was the issue.

It wasn't.  Forgot to say I cleaned it out.  I have an electric air blower and gave it a good clean.

I'm going to do a clean install again the Rockstar suggested way and see how things go, again.

McKee
  • McKee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

Same issues here. Old Xbox, crashing, tried everything.

Would it be worthwhile setting up a poll to gather just how many people are experiencing this problem? So we can show it to Rockstar, or a gaming website to get some exposure?

• JDoubleT likes this

w3llborn
  • w3llborn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

I just read this in the pinned "If you have an Xbox360 - Read This!" thread.  It's posted at the top of page 5 if you want to read it yourself

http://gtaforums.com...ead-this/page-5

Hi guys,

I'm facing the freeze issue on my 360 version except mine happens every time I'm playing while connected to Xbox Live. The game works perfectly fine disconnected but as soon as I'm online the game freezes after a couple of seconds. This means the issue isn't from my disc but from something else.

Has anyone tried disconnecting their Xbox from Xbox live??

I would try this myself, but I'm about to head out the door.

I've tried playing it while disconnected from Xbox Live and there was no difference for me, still freezing every 5-15 min.

nickray84
  • nickray84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

I just created a login to add to the number of people on here with the same problem.  I've done everything to try and fix it over the last 24 hours and am at the part where your at franklins house still in the beginning.  As much as I think the game is awesome, I'd at this point rather have my 60 bux back and wait for rockstar to fix it.  The game has supposedly made 800 million in 1 day and I find it hard to believe that this problem hasnt been more widely reported on the internet.  This is one of the few forums that I found it on, maybe we are lucky that our original refurbed crash boxes are still working? 

Ikkus
  • Ikkus

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

Well, this is some bullsh*t. Did they seriously not test the game on an older Xbox? I'm infuriated by this.

McKee
  • McKee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

Everyone do the poll in the thread I made so we can send it to a gaming media agency and get this issue some exposure, since Rockstar are obviously doing f*ck all about it just now.

http://gtaforums.com...oblems-on-x360/

nikolajz1
  • nikolajz1

Rat

• Members

Checked playing every other one of my games. Halo 4, GTAIV, RDR, Forza Horizon, Just Cause 2 all work fine and don't freeze up. It really has to be a glitch that affects certain xbox's. Either that or older xboxes just dont have the capacity to play it because it is too demanding on the system. 

nickray84
  • nickray84

Player Hater

• Members

anyone know if gamestop will straight up exchange my gta 5 for some other $60.00 game or do they only give me another gta 5?  

BorgX666
  • BorgX666

Her ^ Resistance Is Futile

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

ive recently migrated over from PC to X-Box 360 and i have the latest 1 (is only 3 weeks old) and im running it at 1080P and i did the franklin 1st mission and it was absolutely fine, had no issues at all! so it looks like its only older X-Box models thats affected (maybe?)

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:48 PM Edited by anatomyhorror, 18 September 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Borrowed game from my cousin as my last desperate attempt.  Froze within 5 minutes.

I'm done toolin around with it.  Hopefully Rockstar releases a patch.  Or hopefully I can take the game back to walmart and get my money back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users