Photo

Xbox 360 - Game Keeps Freezing on Franklin's 1st Mission

1,189 replies to this topic
punkindrublic
  • punkindrublic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Exact same situation as the poster above. My freeze is not limited to this mission though I was able to get through it via generous use of the quick save and the problem persists throughout the game seems to be linked to the open world portion of the game.

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:57 PM Edited by anatomyhorror, 18 September 2013 - 05:06 PM.

Yeah let us know what's up.  I thought about the resolution stuff yesterday but never even bothered.  I'm still waiting for first disc to install to USB.  USB write speeds are just awful.

Come to think of it, my cousin has had zero issues and he has a 20gb hdmi-less 360.  BUT, he uses composite cables and plays on an old school TV.  Not even HD.

CHICITY85
  • CHICITY85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

where do you drop the resolution at i need to try that does it work?

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Have a 360 20gb with no hdmi port.

Freezing like crazy.

Went and bought a 16gb thumbdrive.

So far I've tried: (besides what you're supposed to do..Install disc 1 to hard drive, use disc 2 for playing (dont install).

Disc 1 (install) Disc 2 (play)

First thing:

Disc 1 installed to HDD

Disc 2 installed to USB

---Freeze.

I had read to try something similar but do different method.

Second thing:

Leave Disc 2 on USB

Delete Disc 1 from HDD and everything to do with GTAV

Reinstall Disc 1 to HDD

Restart console and Clear Cache

Put Disc 2 back in (its installed on USB fyi)

----Freeze.

Third thing: (have not tried this, in the process)

Delete everything on both HDD and USB / Clear Cache

Install Disc 1 to USB

Disc 2 normal (not install just put in drive)

---Will post results soon.

^Third attemp froze during the title roll/before seeing Franklin.

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

where do you drop the resolution at i need to try that does it work?

Go to your console settings and then go to video settings and change resolution.  I'm giving it a shot now.

anatomyhorror
  • anatomyhorror

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:29 PM Edited by anatomyhorror, 18 September 2013 - 05:32 PM.

Sorry for posting so many times in a row, but this is strange.  After it froze on me during the credits (where its doing the montage of the city) I turned the 360 off and turned it back on. Changed resolution from 1080p to 720p.  Selected Play game.  And it started me right at the credits again.  I press A button and it actually skipped the scene.  I then got in the car with Franklin and skipped that small cutscene as well with A button.  I think they added an auto save or something after the first part of the prologue.

And Frozen.  I'm on option 3 that I posted and I've changed resolution to 720p.

ghsfootball7
  • ghsfootball7

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Running smoothly since dropped the resolution to 720p but still early days, got further then usual though, will keep updates coming, hopefully this will fix or at least improve play time before freeze

How do you drop down to 720. And also please let us know if that works

em00
  • em00

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

20 gig 360 here. Having random freezing happening as well. I've tried everything as far as installing with no success. Obviously the game is unplayable like this. Having a friend lend me a xbox, but this is ridiculous...

Caseyskc
  • Caseyskc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

Running smoothly since dropped the resolution to 720p but still early days, got further then usual though, will keep updates coming, hopefully this will fix or at least improve play time before freeze

How do you drop down to 720. And also please let us know if that works

still going strong for after over an hour but still worried of a freeze, go to setting on your dashboard, system settings, console , then display or something like that, its pretty straight forward

pineapplecoaster
  • pineapplecoaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Alright I'm having this problem with the older model 360 as well, and I have run into others on the web with in the exact same position.

I have the original model that's 60 GBs and I'm playing on the lowest resolution possible. No fix. And I have even gone back and played the prologue, had it freeze. It sometimes lets me get through the prologue without freezing but as soon as it hits the open world during Franklin's mission it will freeze up sometime while driving.

My HDD has 30 GB free so space is not the issue. My guess is it has something to do with the older models. 

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Alright this same issue happened to me.

tried installing Disc 1 to a USB and deleting the cashe. Caused it to freeze sooner.

tried running it from the USB without a HD installed, Caused it to freeze in the bank vault........

so basically everything i am doing to make this game work seems to be making this issue worse....

Remco079
  • Remco079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

I installed my GTA 5 install cd on a USB stick still freezing, now im trying with 720p i will also report back

pineapplecoaster
  • pineapplecoaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:04 PM Edited by pineapplecoaster, 18 September 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Alright this same issue happened to me.

tried installing Disc 1 to a USB and deleting the cashe. Caused it to freeze sooner.

tried running it from the USB without a HD installed, Caused it to freeze in the bank vault........

so basically everything i am doing to make this game work seems to be making this issue worse....

How old is your console? I'm trying to figure out if age has anything to do with it.

CHICITY85
  • CHICITY85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

resolution didnt work for me freezing at random spots in the open world 

Remco079
  • Remco079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

The resolution drop didnt work. I am wondering if i should install the play game on my hdd, and drop the resolution even more

ghsfootball7
  • ghsfootball7

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

So if we drop the resolution, it won't freeze on franklins mission every time????

Caseyskc
  • Caseyskc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

eventfully froze after an hour and a half, mayb two

ghsfootball7
  • ghsfootball7

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

So if resolution drops do not work. What will! This is actually killing me right now I hate this. We need to come together and fix this

nikolajz1
  • nikolajz1

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:21 PM Edited by nikolajz1, 18 September 2013 - 06:25 PM.

I have a 2008 360 20GB that I got after I sent in a RROD. Same problems as you guys. Tried every combination of installs and resolution and nothing works. I really just think the old consoles cant handle rendering a game as demanding as GTA V. 

I was able to get 5 or 6 missions in through quick saves before it became unplayable and would freeze every 5-15 minutes. I initially thought my hard drive was just fried. After I installed to a USB it worked for 2 hours without freezing but then it went to hell. 

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

I am testing a unused (untill now) brand new Xbox i have as a spare. its a newer S model and was bought only a year ago.

the model xbox i was attempting before was a old Fat. referb send back, that i have already manually replaced the disc drive on. however the new drive isnt even a year old and has seen little use....

i will update with the results of the Slim once the install disc is finished..

CHICITY85
  • CHICITY85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

on my way to play n trade to get my game maybe i have a few scratches im at michael it freeze like every 3 minutes

ghsfootball7
  • ghsfootball7

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I replaced my game disk but it still froze so I'm lost

Remco079
  • Remco079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Maybe i got it, i wanted to install the play disc but it stops and said the disc was scratched. So i tried it with another disc from assassins creed and it also said it scratched.

Can anyone try to install the playdisc, maybe we have a common laser in our old xbox witch scratches the discs

Caseyskc
  • Caseyskc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:39 PM Edited by Caseyskc, 18 September 2013 - 06:39 PM.

Maybe i got it, i wanted to install the play disc but it stops and said the disc was scratched. So i tried it with another disc from assassins creed and it also said it scratched.

Can anyone try to install the playdisc, maybe we have a common laser in our old xbox witch scratches the discs

i installed play disc fine, i just think the older models dont have the power to run a game this demanding

Remco079
  • Remco079

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

@caseyskc

Well thanks for your reaction tomorrow i want a new disc and otherwise were screwed i think

Caseyskc
  • Caseyskc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

@caseyskc

Well thanks for your reaction tomorrow i want a new disc and otherwise were screwed i think

no problem, next hope for me is my girlfriend lil bro has an xbox he never uses so might do a swap or just borrow it, hopefully will b patched for others but i cant see how they could

peanham5000
  • peanham5000

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

i have the old xbox aswel and getting the same freezing issue. Has anyone got an external cooling fan? Just wondering if this works.

pineapplecoaster
  • pineapplecoaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:58 PM Edited by pineapplecoaster, 18 September 2013 - 07:03 PM.

i have the old xbox aswel and getting the same freezing issue. Has anyone got an external cooling fan? Just wondering if this works.

I have an old 360 and the fan is not helping. Often the game will freeze before the console gets very hot.

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

getting to franklins first mission after the intro. minor improvements to graphics i noticed, less static on certain textures. in a few moments i will have a answer. I really hope this isnt a issue related to Xbox hardware...

pineapplecoaster
  • pineapplecoaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

i installed play disc fine, i just think the older models dont have the power to run a game this demanding

I thought that older models have mostly the same hardware...but there does seem to be some correlation between the freezing and older model 360's. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users